Code of Conduct

Unhappy Sad Visit to Floris Store Manhattan

Yesterday, I stopped into the Floris store in NYC because I had heard they might be closing. There was something of a banner in the window that announced that Floris was "changing" the way it sells fragrances, and that the store was selling out all stock.

There were only two mens fragrances: Elite and JF available, I was looking for Vetiver or trying to score a little of the discontinued Sandalwood. Anyway, there were a lot of women in there, no men, picking up a little China Rose powder, or whatever was left. Suffice it to say, it was kind of sad. Before now, I felt priviledged that I could just go up there to get more No. 89, or to sniff a little something. No more. The staff said that the only store that was going to stay open was their London shoppe.

Sic transit Gloria Mundi.

Joe

Default Re: Sad Visit to Floris Store Manhattan

I recently read a similar sad story about the closing of the Caron flagship store in NYC - it has now supposedly merged with another store, with half a floor dedicated to Caron fragrances.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I recently read a similar sad story about the closing of the Caron flagship store in NYC - it has now supposedly merged with another store, with half a floor dedicated to Caron fragrances.

Oh, see, I know Caron had moved from Madison, but I thought it was just a new space, not that they were being "down-sized" although I think that is better than total elimination.

I wonder if Floris will be in Dept. stores now....

Joe

Try contacting Floris of London here:

Floris of London
    127A Roseland Avenue
    Caldwell, NJ 07006
    866-416-2649 toll free
    973-618-9289 fax
    www.florislondon.com
    florisoflondon@pobox.com

I just bought Vetiver and Santal from them, and was very happy with the service.

Could it be that the majority of people could careless regarding quality scents and prefer safe ozonic-fresh-generic-fruity smelling scents or quality scents are getting more and more expensive to make?Pretty soon Chanel bottled in China?
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

This is rotten news, Joe, thanks for the post. I've wanted to seek out Sandalwood, Number 89, maybe No.127 or whatever it is, and find more bottles of Vetiver when my current one runs out.

For a while I thought it might be a good sign that Floris and Caron had New York shops and hoped it would form a trend for small houses.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Yes, it seems that Floris will keep a U.S. presence with a mail order location in New Jersey, much as Penhaligon did before it opened a shop in NYC. While I will miss visiting the boutique during my trips to Manhatten, I feel that I know the line well enough to purchase what I want over the phone. It's a pity for those who don't, though.

Chris, BTW, I also heard the rumor that the Sandalwood has been discontinued (at least, that is what a Floris SA told me over the phone when I called a couple of weeks ago. As they can frequently be misinformed, take it for what it's worth.)