Code of Conduct

Default What techniques to make an ugly smell nice

Hi,

I just received my first bottle of Herrera for Men and it is awful.
    Now, what ways are there to make the best of a scent that doesnt work on your skin? For Example spray from a distance, use some kind of moisturizer?

Thanks

Default Re: What techniques to make an ugly smell nice

Quote Originally Posted by Schurke4 View Post
    Hi,

Now, what ways are there to make the best of a scent that doesnt work on your skin? For Example spray from a distance, use some kind of moisturizer?

Thanks
    What do you mean by "awful"?

Has the fragrance turned or you just don't like the smell in general?
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I've found the best technique in that situation is to either A) sell/swap it either here or on ebay, or B) If it's really awful, smash it up against the cinderblock wall in my backyard.

Basenotes Institution

When I purchase a fragrance and I think it's awful, here's what I do (in chronological order):

1. Try layering it with another fragrance I love...perhaps a fragrance that will compliment the scent

2. WAIT a few months & reapply...this has worked for a few scents that I didn't like & then ALL OF A SUDDEN I liked them

3. If you still realize you hate it, sell it/swap it here on Basenotes

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    B) If it's really awful, smash it up against the cinderblock wall in my backyard.
    PLEEEEZ, could you upload a video of this on youtube? I really really dig hardcore perfume violence
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    PLEEEEZ, could you upload a video of this on youtube? I really really dig hardcore perfume violence

Lol ... I wish I had youtube back when I started doing this. A few notables that have made my "cinderblock wall-of-fame" were: Tommy Athletics, Egoiste Platinum, and my favorite impact of all ... Cartier Pasha. I swear I threw that one so hard I couldn't find a piece of glass bigger than a BB.

PE? I mean, I personally don't like it, but what'd that cost you, $45? Could've traded... Although I think I would have enjoyed seeing that anyways.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Lots of vodka!

Seriously, life is too short to waste time with fragrances you don't like. Swap or sell it; and get something else instead. Why waste precious time when fragrances are readily available.
    Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Schurke4 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

This is what I would try:

1. Put the scent away for a week or two and then re-test. There have been a number of fragrances I've changed my mind about and that seems to be relatively common here on Basenotes.

2. Experiment with spraying different amounts on. Sometimes people don't like a fragrance because they are over applying the fragrance so try spraying less.

3. Wait. Most fragrances evolve after you put them on. Some of my most favorite fragrances I really don't like the way they smell for the first 10 or 15 minutes, but after that....

4. Layering with another fragrance. I'm not a big fan of this as in some ways you are just putting on a fragrance to cover up what you just put on. So why even put on the fragrance you want to cover up?

Anyway, I would give options 1, 2 and 3 a try. You can dabble with option 4 but as I said, I personally don't do it. If you don't find a way to like it, you can try and swap it or sell it. If you don't have friends you can swap or sell with, basenotes or Ebay are options.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde