Code of Conduct

Default So I went to the fragrance store today

I have never really been able to describe fragrances but I can tell what I like and what I dont. These were the frags I smelled

terre d'hermes, armani code, polo black, burberry brit, gucci pour homme, bvlgari black, Le Male, Marc Jacobs, Burberry Touch, John Varvatos, RSVP. Might be more but I cant remember right now.

Anyway, from this list, I found Armani Code the best followed by Polo Black.
    I didnt really like Terre (I thought it would be the best for me just from reading comments here). i thought it had a weird smell that just got stronger as time went on. I guess the advice of trying it first was very good

I immediately disliked bvlgari black though. Something about the top note that put me off. I wasnt a big fan of Marc Jacobs and John Varvatos either.
    The other frags never gave me a significant reaction.

From my choices, how would I be able to describe the type of frag I like and how similar/different is it to others here??

I am just trying to understand what drew me in and how it differs from some

If I may ask. From my selection of the best from the list I tried, would I be considered a newbie???

smeller

Default Re: So I went to the fragrance store today

I would not consider someone as a newbie based on its preferences.

No matter if it is popular, in the end it's your personal taste that counts.

I consider myself as a newbie, because I feel my knowledge is very limited, even if I know a wider variety of fragrances and my tastes are sometimes closer to the basenotes community "style".
    Last edited by smeller; 5th March 2007 at 02:05 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Agree with smeller - your personal choices don't label you a newbie. And it sounds like you asked interesting questions - not questions most 'newbies' would ask in my opinion.

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable of Polo Black or Armani to say what it is that drew you to them - sorry.

I dislike both - but that's just me...

I also find it fascinating that Gucci Pour Homme left you with no reaction...the first time I smelled it on me I kept sniffing my hand all evening

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    Agree with smeller - your personal choices don't label you a newbie. And it sounds like you asked interesting questions - not questions most 'newbies' would ask in my opinion.

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable of Polo Black or Armani to say what it is that drew you to them - sorry.

I dislike both - but that's just me...

I also find it fascinating that Gucci Pour Homme left you with no reaction...the first time I smelled it on me I kept sniffing my hand all evening
    I thought Gucci Homme had a strong smell but it never drew me in. I was surprised by my own reactions though cause I was expeting to be amazed by Terre. However, I did keep the card and the smell improved alot over time. However, I dont think it drew me enough to purchase.