Code of Conduct

Question Recommendations?

Hello guys.

I'm not sure how many times you've been asked for recommendations - probably too many - but I'm going to try anyway.

I want to become more familiar with men's fragrances. I am already quite familiar with L'Artisan and Serge but those are "unisex" (the male-female fragrance debate is for another day, I'm just asking about fragrances sold to the male market). I'd like to be able to write a list of fragrances for the men that are close to me so that when I go shopping with/for them I can choose something that might appeal to the both of us - or at least collect some samples that appeal to the both of us and let the guy choose one which I can buy for him as a gift (clearly if I wrap up Miss Dior Cherie and give it to him my intentions might be misconstrued so I want "male" fragrance suggestions only).

So far I have bought my father some Marc Jacobs. I don't think he wears it at all! I bought it because I thought it smelled exactly like him. I was wrong. I need your help.

I would like to get my boyfriend something for daily wear. He doesn't wear anything at the moment because I told him that I didn't like Christian Lacroix Bazaar (too ozonic and fruity with zero dry-down) and it happens to be the only thing he uses other than unscented deodorant. He smells like nothing now.

I love old films, old perfumes. I like No. 5 and am becoming extremely fond of Mitsouko EDT. If I get something for him I would like it to be compatible with my fragrance. I don't want competition. For example Antidote or B-Men would completely snuff out Mitsouko EDT (I have tested Antidote and B-Men... both are nice... but not every day).

About the boyfriend: He likes old James Bond films. He likes Thai food. He likes reading about politics. He likes football. He's an extrovert and is glued to his mobile phone. I'm an introvert and would rather not own a mobile. We're pretty much opposites. I really do not think that he can get away with wearing anything niche or too classic (it's a personality thing). I do not want to spend a lot of money on the gift as it's not for an occasion.

I plan to do a fair bit of testing for the next few months so I'm not in a hurry to buy anything.

Suggestions?

"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Default Re: Recommendations?

Let's see, no niche, nothing classic, nothing too strong, something for a modern, sporty guy, but nothing too ozonic.

How about fresh fougeres like CK Eternity, Davidoff Good Life, Miracle Homme l'Aquatonic, (Platinum Egoiste, Paco Rabanne XS - are these fougeres?) I think these are quite versatile. If earthy-smoky is okay, try Terre d'Hermes or one of the Kouros variants. Not the original one though, that would snuff out what you are wearing. If creamy tonka is okay, try Burberry Brit. You are heading into winter right now, so I would normally recommend other scents, but winter scents tend to be strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Paco Rabanne XS sounds the good choice

how old is he?
    sounds like Bois De Portugal, Heritage, Egoiste or Zino for him (indirectly for you too )
    --------------------------------------
    maybe a long shot.... dior homme could be worth investigating as well
    Last edited by yonggoh; 5th March 2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Also try Paloma Picasso Minotaure and Biagiotti Roma Uomo.

Buy a few decants from some of our fine Basenotes' friends and let him wear them a few times to see which ones he prefers and then if you both agree on one or two of them you can spring for a bottle!!

My suggestions:

Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Burberry Brit...........as was mentioned earlier
    Vera Wang for men
    Ungaro III.......wait for the drydown

Post Thanks / Like

These male/female classifications are at times pretty useless - there are many "female" or unisex fragrances which can be worn by men.

From L'artisan, try:

Dzing!
    Voleur de roses
    Navegar

Serge lutens are more sugary and sweet, and thus more "feminine", but you should try the following which are not your typical lutens syrup:

Iris silver mist
    Borneo
    Encens et lavande

Since your boyfriend is an extrovert, all of these recommendations might suit him.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Fahrehneit, Guerlain Heritage, YSL M7, Envy, Gucci PH, Terre d'Hermes, Creed GIT,...

Post Thanks / Like

Get him Jicky EDT and if he doesn't like it you get to keep it. It's a classic civet scent, so you'll probably tear his clothes off the minute he puts the stuff on.

For something less sexy, but with class to spare try Héritage (In the slightly older formulation).
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

how old is he?
    sounds like Bois De Portugal, Heritage, Egoiste or Zino for him (indirectly for you too)
    He is 28. I am older. Egoiste sounds like a good idea but I worry about the name. I can just imagine him unwrapping the gift: "you think I'm an egoiste?"

These male/female classifications are at times pretty useless - there are many "female" or unisex fragrances which can be worn by men.
    Yes I agree that the classifications are useless, however I still have to get him something decidedly "masculine" or at least marketed towards the male market even if it's flowery or fruity. I can't get him something unisex because the concept is a little too "non-mainstream" for him (he already thinks I'm "bohemian" whatever that means.) Two other reasons that I want to stay within the boundaries of marketing is because 1) he used to work in marketing and 2) I didn't take him seriously when he first asked me out because I thought he was gay and I also told him that I accepted his orientation. I think that upset him a little because maybe he expected more from the relationship.

Get him Jicky EDT and if he doesn't like it you get to keep it. It's a classic civet scent, so you'll probably tear his clothes off the minute he puts the stuff on.
    I think he'll like your suggestion - the part about the clothes.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 5th March 2007 at 11:29 PM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryFemme
    Yes I agree that the classifications are useless, however I still have to get him something decidedly "masculine" or at least marketed towards the male market even if it's flowery or fruity.
    "masculine" - ignoring the "classics" and the pricey L'Artisan and Lutens frags which I consider masculine (and the reason I mentioned them in the first place was to show that there are some from those line which are quite masculine), and keeping in mind your bf's personality, the following might work:

Bulgari Black (smoke and rubber)
    Chanel Allure homme (great office frag)
    Versace The Dreamer (smooth tobacco)
    Gucci pour homme (lots of dry cedar)
    -

Thank you ZZtopp. Yes many Serge and L'Artisan are "masculine"... however they are out of my current budget and unfamiliar to him as "masculine" fragrances. I have tried my Serge samples and L'Artisan travel size frags on him but he wasn't too keen simply because I also wear them. I will take your advice and try Pour Homme or The Dreamer.

I'm particularly interested in the notes listed for The Dreamer in the basenotes reviews. I think I'll try it (and maybe sneak some for myself from time to time.)

Head Notes: Juniper, Wild Flowers. Linden
    Heart Notes: Lily, Iris,Tarragon, Artemesia,
    Amber, Tobacco, Spices, Vanilla, Rare Woods

As you can see it's quite difficult to shop for this guy - no classic, no niche, not too expensive, etc... - that is why I had to ask the advice of the knowledgeable people on the male frag board.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 6th March 2007 at 12:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were in my area I'd happily give you The Dreamer, as I find it
    very unpleasant. Others on this board love it. To each their own.

I'd suggest trying every Chanel men's scent you have access to.
    They are still my favorite designer house, and they have a good breadth
    to their offerings. The earlier suggestion of Allure Homme is a very good
    one to start with. I'd also suggest Pour Monsieur Concentree.

And how about well known designer brands like

Dolce Gabbana PH and By
    Gucci PH
    YSL Rive Gauche, Jazz, Live Jazz
    Guerlain L'Instant and others
    Bvlgari anything
    Nina Ricci Memoires D'Homme
    Lancome Miracle
    Armani anything
    Givenchy anything
    Rochas anything, especially Lui
    Dior anything
    Chanel anything

I mean if you don't care about scent notes as such and are more concerned about the brand being known and marketed to men, these are very well marketed to men, represent wide range of smell spectrum, can be found online or in discount stores and thus are not that expensive. when you say "not classic" - do you mean it should not smell "old" or do you mean that the brand should be relatively new in production? Then again, try major designer houses, try colognes that were produced in last ten years.

dior homme, not too classic not too niche
    says "homme" right on the bottle but...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryFemme
    Thank you ZZtopp. Yes many Serge and L'Artisan are "masculine"... however they are out of my current budget and unfamiliar to him as "masculine" fragrances. I have tried my Serge samples and L'Artisan travel size frags on him but he wasn't too keen simply because I also wear them. I will take your advice and try Pour Homme or The Dreamer.

I'm particularly interested in the notes listed for The Dreamer in the basenotes reviews. I think I'll try it (and maybe sneak some for myself from time to time.)

Head Notes: Juniper, Wild Flowers. Linden
    Heart Notes: Lily, Iris,Tarragon, Artemesia,
    Amber, Tobacco, Spices, Vanilla, Rare Woods

As you can see it's quite difficult to shop for this guy - no classic, no niche, not too expensive, etc... - that is why I had to ask the advice of the knowledgeable people on the male frag board.

Well, if The Dreamer doesn't work out have you considered something very classy and mainstream: Safari. If you want to give something to your bf that says, in effect, `I think you are manly', this could be the one. And it's interesting: despite its reputation of being Uber masculine there is a lot of sweet cinnamon that alters the tonal effect of the bergamot/lavender combination.

Hope this works out — you have all our best wishes going with you on your dream quest in drizzly melbourne!
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunhill Edition (cheap on internet but VERY classy, good for work)
    RL Safari
    YSL Rive Gauche (and Body Kouros for something stronger and sexier)
    Terre d'Hermes
    Bvlgari PH

All widely available in Australia, and whilst easy to access and not too expensive (most quite cheap on net), none of these is too common.

ged

ps not sure why you said not keen on the classics - i thought dunhill 1934 would be perfect given he's a bond fan, also didn't recommend any guerlains (heritage, vetiver, etc) coz you said no classics
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    dior homme, not too classic not too niche
    says "homme" right on the bottle but...

Personally, I have found the Annual Basenotes Awards winners and nominees a great starting point for discovering fragrances:

http://www.basenotes.net/awards/

Wow what terrific ideas.

I said "no classics" because he's not keen on the classics. I'm VERY keen on the classics! I'm a classic fragrance wearer myself. I'd rather classics or niche or unisex (these are just marketing terms, I know), fragrances any day over something popular like Flowerbomb (although FB is good on occasion.) I'm afraid I've been unclear so I'll say it again: I LOVE CLASSICS! :bounce: I suggested some classics and he said "I smell like an old man." Don't get me started on the negative political connotations of "old man smell". I believe there was a thread recently about "old lady smell" and some people were quite upset. In case anyone is wondering I smell like an "old lady" and he has never complained mostly because I have never told him the names of the perfumes I wear.

I digress.

Okay. Here is what I have done:

I have put some of my favourites into vials and I'm going to present them to him in a nice little ring box with a card. The list includes Ambre Sultan, Egoiste, Passage D'Enfer, Antaeus, Jicky, Habit Rouge. To hell with "no classics" and "no niche"! (Serge and L'Artisan are considered niche here, I think.) Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Sean Connery as James Bond and if I have to watch James Bond then he will be testing everything on my list whether he likes it or not... and maybe he will eventually come to like one of them.

By the way I had no idea Dunhill had any affiliation with James Bond. I guess I don't know much about the films?

Anyway, these suggestions are terrific. I'll spend some time looking for samples of the ones mentioned in this thread and by the time we've agreed on a common love then he might have a collection of samples.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 6th March 2007 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In this situation maybe a good mainstream release which he will have seen/ heard of marketed to men. One which has stood the test of time; Polo Green (or crest if you can get it) Dior Jules or Farenheit, The nectar of the gods R de Capucci, Chevignon, Drakkar Noir, um...lots more. Maybe look up the well known houses and read some reviews. I think the guerlains are classic and may not work for that reason.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews