Code of Conduct

Default Closest thing to Mitsouko edp for men

While making a purchase the other day I quickly smelled Guerlain's Mitsouko edt to see what it was all about.

It seemed to have some masculine sensibilities.

Could fellow basenoters who have worn this or the edp share their thoughts on this and/or make some recommendations of male frags similiar to Mitsouko.

Now that I've experienced Mitsouko I have an appreciation for its
    'mysterious' qualities....but fear it may not have a counterpart.

Thanks

Default Re: Closest thing to Mitsouko edp for men

I just wear Mitsouko.

A perfume as great as Mitsouko is eternal and transcends time and gender. There is no counterpart as none is needed it, is equally amazing and proper on both a man and a woman.

I have used the EDT and Parfum and they are quite different, though both amazing in its own right.

My only suggestion would be to try to buy vintage (ebay is great place) as it has been reformulated to replace some of the animal notes and oakmoss.

Enjoy!

-----

for men just go for Mitsouko in EDT, it has an enhanced vetiver basenote that 's nicely androgynous, also same masculine touch in the vintage 'parfum de toilette' Mitsouko version

I second what the other posters said, just go for Mitsouko, I think a man can pull it of quite nicely, but I'd also suggest Patricia de Nicolaď New York as a substitute.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    Now that I've experienced Mitsouko I have an appreciation for its 'mysterious' qualities....but fear it may not have a counterpart. Thanks
    If you really like it, buy the perfume! I knew the perfume before I bought what I thought was good enough for me, Mitsouko EDT. But it left me frustrated in a way, even after I had the EDP. Like other Guerlains M has had some formula changes, and it seems to me that the perfume concentrations of a few frags survived these best: Vol de Nuit, L'Heure Bleue, and Mitsouko. Although it seemed painfully expensive when I bought it, the perfume turns out to be the cheapest in terms of satisfaction and durability.

BTW: no counterpart, just wear it. It will take a while before you meet another person who could guess what you are wearing. If you are looking for something of a similar 'mood', check out Fracas (for men) by Piguet (the American licensee). Cheap, hardly known, and precious!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Said that I completely agree on the fact that if you like Mitsouko you should just wear it, I remember many people finding similarities with Creed Acier Alumium, at least for the fruity mossy vibe, not for the whole concept though.

Mitsouko and Jicky are both great on a man or woman. Wear it and enjoy it.

THAnKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

Basenotes Institution

I know I'm kinda late to respond to this thread, but I sniffed Mitsouko last night for the 1st time also (my curiosity was piqued after I stubmled upon that review that Chandler Burr did in the NYT about the Guerlains...) and I have to say I love it. Can't wait to buy the perfume.

Having said that, the drydown reminded me A LOT of an Italian cologne I just received as an anniversary gift from my boyfriend, Numero Uno by Carthusia. It was uncanny...I literally spent a few minutes racking my brain, trying to figure out WHERE I had smelled this before. Of course, Numero Uno opens with top notes that are MUCH different than Mitsouko, but I swear the drydown (on me) is really close.

Graffham, PM me if you (or anyone else) is interested in a decant of Numero Uno.

If you want a real thrill get your hands on some vintage juice. Subtle and just amazing. If you chicken out on wearing a woman's frag, you can always wear Habit Rouge.

Question Re: Closest thing to Mitsouko edp for men

Habit Rouge (woody oriental) and Mitsouko (floral/fruity chypre) - I don't know
    Habit Rouge (strongly vanillic in the base) and Shalimar (oriental vanillé) - yes !
    Kouros (Aromatic Fougčre) and Mitsouko share about ten identical notes.
    But people call me nuts when I say that my nose finds them similar
    I always wondered what Carthusia Uno might smell like. Congrats, MikePerez!
    Last edited by narcus; 31st March 2007 at 09:56 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Tried Mitsouko as I love the Chypre. This is a fruity Chypre. If you ask me, much too fruity and sweet for a man to wear. I'll stick to Derby...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I always wondered what Carthusia Uno might smell like. Congrats, MikePerez!
    I reapplied Numero Uno tonight and it's uncanny the resemblance (on me) between Mitsouko and this scent...although Mitsouko has a slight softness and complexity that NU doesn't, that main scent (I have no idea what this note is?) is spot-on similar.

I don't own Mitsouko (I want to buy the parfum soon) but in the meantime NU is filling the 'chypre' space in my wardrobe nicely.

I have heard that Houbigant Apercu smells like Mitsouko. How does it compare to Mitsouko?