Code of Conduct

Default Allergic reaction after wearing Comme des Garcons Incense Jaisalmer

I bought a bottle in Paris on Friday, sprayed it on my forearms the next morning, before leaving for work and within 10 minutes my arms were covered with itchy, red hives. I'm back in the US now and the hives are still there. Less itchy, less pronounced. I'll go to my Dr. if they continue or take an anti-histamine.
    Has anyone out there had this kind of reaction to a fragrance? I've never have had this reaction before. Could it be something else? I hope so, as I love my new CDG fragrance.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th March 2007 at 11:42 PM.

Default Re: Allergic reaction after wearing Comme des Garcons Incense Jaisalmer

The thing about allergic reactions is that they usually get worse over time as your body has a chance to develop a greater histamine response to them.

I get hives quite often, unfortunately. I have very sensitive skin and I'm allergic to stupid things like watermelon, and so EVERY EFFING YEAR I always think, "Maaaaybe I've outgrown it...that watermelon does look tasty..." and then I end up with hives and an itchy throat and a tummy that hurts. It's not like I develop a full-on anaphylactic reaction that would necessitate medical intervention, but it makes me really uncomfortable and itchy. It sucks. If you have difficulty breathing during an allergic reaction, call 911.

Take Benadryl - as long as you're not allergic to it - and you can also get Benadryl ointment to put on your skin. Failing that, try a mild cortisone cream (also from the drugstore) to stop the itching.

There's a homeopathic remedy called Apis Mel. (it's the latin name for honeybee, I think) you should be able to find it at health food stores or from naturopath physicians. I've taken Apis Mel. before and had great results, but I've also heard people denounce homeopathy as placebos. Whatever, I think they work just fine.

Anyway...don't use the cologne again, you are highly likely to just have an even worse reaction. You can try spraying it on your clothes where it won't touch your skin. Otherwise, I'd swap the bottle.

Basenotes Institution

I JUST BOUGHT a decant of Jaisalmer from an Ebay seller - yikes! Cross my fingers - hope I don't get a reaction.

Only time I've ever itched from a scent, it was A.maze by People of the Labyrinths. I think that it wasn't the scent itself (or my histamines) but the fact that it was a sample of the Parfum and I applied too much (plus it was kinda hot that day). Never happened after that, though.

Agree with the previous post - DO NOT REAPPLY & find out the notes in Jaisalmer and reference them for future scent purchases as scents to avoid or perhaps test in a very small amount before purchase.

I believe that I am allergic to Bois farine. I tried it a couple of times and each time it made me cough a great deal. I didn't care for the scent for that matter...
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Plant-based ingredients like oakmoss and wood resins are known to cause allergic reactions. It is very possible that this is the problem.

Well, the hives have flared up again. I have not worn the CDG, so I think it's safe to say that it's off the hook.

Hives can also be stress induced can't they?
    I worked with a fellow who got hives under a great deal of pressure and I get hives if it's even suggested I go shopping with my wife.

Basenotes Institution

OK, I just got my Jaisalmer decant last night & sprayed it immediately - no hives either!!

This scent is amazing...I sniffed my arms all night.

A*men by Thierry Mugler makes me vomit. Does that count?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    At least A* Men doesn't smell like vomit. For that, you need to smell the opening notes of Jicky. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Excellent - another reason why A*men is great - it's usable as an emetic!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    OK, I just got my Jaisalmer decant last night & sprayed it immediately - no hives either!!

This scent is amazing...I sniffed my arms all night.
    It is amazing, thank god I'm not allergic to it! It's like taking a trip to India from my armchair, or in your case from your bed.