Code of Conduct

Default Why aren't there many men's Edps?

Hey all, I've been searching for some more scents and all I see are EdTs. Most of the EdPs that I saw are for women. I need EdP strength because my skin still kinda drinks scents. I don't want be stuck with just niche scents. I'm looking for designer EdPs to broaden my range of scents.

Default Re: Why aren't there many men's Edps?

The new Gucci Pour Homme II is an EdP.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

The three Lalique's can be purchased in EDP strength: Equus, LeFaune, and Pour Homme (Lion).

Also Boucheron Pour Homme and Jaipur Homme.

What type of frags are you looking for? Off the top of my head, Hanae Mori comes in an EDP, and Gendarme20 is an EDP.

I also wish more men's frags were available in EDP.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrell3000
    Hey all, I've been searching for some more scents and all I see are EdTs. Most of the EdPs that I saw are for women. I need EdP strength because my skin still kinda drinks scents. I don't want be stuck with just niche scents. I'm looking for designer EdPs to broaden my range of scents.
    Last edited by DJB; 6th March 2007 at 03:45 AM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I ran across something in my readings, I think it was one of the Fragrance FAQ's on Ebay. It said that men's fragrance usually tops out at EDT because EDP's can cause skin irritation on freshly shaved skin. Don't know how valid it is, it is something on the Internet after all, but then, we are on the Internet....
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I always thought there weren't many mens edps because perfume is generally understood in our culture as girly, while cologne is what guys wear.

I just think companies are afraid if they release men's edps they wont sell because of that. In general we can see that the more risky frags (not the typical ozonic ones) are the edps, for example jaipur, hanae mori, opium.

I guess it's a market driven decission: if EDPs sold, they'd be on the shelves. Why don't they sell? I can think of two reasons: first, because most men don't care about scents, much less about such subtleties as concentrations, and second, because most men like their scents to be discreet and close to the skin.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    because most men like their scents to be discreet and close to the skin.
    Bingo.

Let's face it, the notion that "perfume" is wildly unmanly is still pretty prevalent.

Ormonde Man, Heritage, Habit Rouge come to mind too!

I think Geir is an EdP. I'm just thinking of other ones that haven't been mentioned, but I'm drawing a blank.

Opium, L'Instant.

Another reason for the lack of male EDPs might be that men probably are more prone to perspiration, thus projecting more, eliminating the need for EDPs. But that's just speculation...

Opium EDP

Allow me to formulate another question:
    why are all the edps generally orientals impregnated with vanilla, amber etc. instead of citrusy/greenish fresh fragrances? why don't we have an Acqua di Gi edp, for instance?

I think some of it has to do with the name: many believe that parfum is for women and cologne is for men, so maybe some frags that have EDP strength are still labeled as EdT.
    Also, most men would not buy EdT, and EdP and body products of the same scent. EdT would be enough. companies probably can't produce only EdP since it's more expensive - thus less popular. So why bother?

THe following brands have EdPs:
    L'Instant
    Rive Gauche
    Kenzo Air
    Pi
    Jaipur
    Kingdom though not marketed for men

And there are Extreme/Concentree versions, like Bvlgari Extreme, XS Extreme, Eau Sauvage, Baldesarini, Rochas Man Intense,

Women's EDTs are often citrusy or floral affairs that last only four or five hours (or less). Having EDPs of them makes sense, as they might then get a full working day out of one application.

Mens EDTs often have very long lasting woods and leathers in them, such that they easily last a full working day. EDPs for them don't make much sense unless you really want to go to bed smelling strongly of what you put on early that morning (I often go to bed smelling weakly of that day's scent, despite having had a good shower).

Anyhow, that's my theory.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Allow me to formulate another question:
    why are all the edps generally orientals impregnated with vanilla, amber etc. instead of citrusy/greenish fresh fragrances? why don't we have an Acqua di Gi edp, for instance?
    Citrus notes are by their nature very fleeting, and as one member recently pointed out, citrus ingredients cause skin irritation in higher concentrations. Besides that, these fresh fragrances have such loud bursts of top notes that higher concentrations probably would not smell appealing, much less enticing anyone to buy it. I am afraid that for many people, the top notes are what makes them buy a scent. Another point is that the fresh ones are often specifically made for summer, where projection is higher due to perspiraton. Furthermore, the synthetics making a scent smell fresh can last quite long, which is why an EdP of Acqua di Gio is not really necessary.

Opium EDP and L'Instant Extreme seem to be the most popular EDPs these days.
    Last edited by deeablow; 6th March 2007 at 12:10 PM.

Exclamation Re: Why aren't there many men's Edps?

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    The new Gucci Pour Homme II is an EdP.
    It is an awful eau de toilette. But the Gucci Pour Homme lasts like an eau de parfum!!!
    La Science des Rves

Quote Originally Posted by MCocteau
    It is an awful eau de toilette. But the Gucci Pour Homme lasts like an eau de parfum!!!
    Have you seen the new Gucci PH II? Is it awful and also an EDT, or is it awful because it's an EDT? And is this the same one that you're referring to when you say "the Gucci Pour Homme lasts like an eau de parfum!!!" or do you mean the Gucci PH that has been out for a few years?

Don't read this as argumentative I just want to get clear on what you are saying.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    I think Geir is an EdP. I'm just thinking of other ones that haven't been mentioned, but I'm drawing a blank.
    Yes, you are right about that.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Thrax

All the Bond No.9's are EDP
    All Montale's
    Opium PH EDP
    Heritage EDP
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDP
    Geir EDP
    Rykiel Homme EDP
    Clean Men EDP
    L'Homme Sage EDP
    Santalum by Profumum EDP
    Lalique EDP
    Fou d'Absinthe EDP

hmmm....thats all I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    All the Bond No.9's are EDP
    All Montale's
    Opium PH EDP
    Heritage EDP
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDP
    Geir EDP
    Rykiel Homme EDP
    Clean Men EDP
    L'Homme Sage EDP
    Santalum by Profumum EDP
    Lalique EDP
    Fou d'Absinthe EDP

hmmm....thats all I can think of right now.
    All Frederic Malle's are EDPs. All "new generation" Creeds are EDPs.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    ...hmmm....thats all I can think of right now.
    How could you forget your beloved four letter frag - LDDM ?!
    Last edited by narcus; 7th March 2007 at 12:28 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Escada Pour Homme Edp

Thumbs up Re: Why aren't there many men's Edps?

i also had a problem finding an edp for men - but found that floris london do an edp called santal extreme. Its stronger than the edt and has a great depth of notes.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    How could you forget your beloved four letter frag - LDDM ?!
    On LDDM's bottle it says "EDT intense." Though it is damn worthy of an EDP tag.

Talking Re: Why aren't there many men's Edps?

Quote Originally Posted by fragrant user
    i also had a problem finding an edp for men - but found that floris london do an edp called santal extreme. Its stronger than the edt and has a great depth of notes.

I have also used the Floris Santal Extreme after advice from one of the very helpful girls in the Floris store, who informed me it was an EDP. It was hard to compare in store because you have to give it a while, but this really did last. I was very impressed!

I forgot to mention my beloved Rykiel Homme EDP too! Wonderful fragrance. Far too easy to dismiss at first sniff I say.