Code of Conduct

Thread: Gothic I and II

Default Gothic I and II

Well, I test Gothic I and II tonight, against Jalaine's Patchouli. Gothic I is similiar to Jalaine's Patchouli at first, but G. I develops a cedar note that takes it to earthier while J. Patchouli, by comparison only, remains cleaner with an almost blossom hint, and keeps a euchalypic hint that frankly I love in the mix.

Gothic II is very strongly an incense fragrance but not smoky burning incense, rather chunk of resin incense, clear and sweet with a soapy edge, to my nose. The wood is detectable here as well. I have smelled frankencense and myrrh essential oils at a shop, and seem to recall the myrhh was a sweeter thing, but don't recall fully. As it dries down a bit, it becomes velvety smooth, if you know what I mean, almost buttery, but a bit sourish. It almost seems a sour thing over the vanilla, but sour in a good way.

Bah! I suck at this! Does anyone have opinions on this? I made a stab at it because of the other Gothic thread, and the coinkydink of receiving my samples today. One thing I can say for sure, absolutely, no doubt, is I like Jalaine's Patchouli better.

ediot: Rodkins website gives Gothic II notes of classic and essential vanilla, patchouli, accented with opium and frankincense.
    Last edited by Shycat; 7th March 2007 at 02:01 PM.

Default Re: Gothic I and II

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Well, I test Gothic I and II tonight, against Jalaine's Patchouli. Gothic I is similiar to Jalaine's Patchouli at first, but G. I develops a cedar note that takes it to earthier while J. Patchouli, by comparison only, remains cleaner with an almost blossom hint, and keeps a euchalypic hint that frankly I love in the mix.

Gothic II is very strongly an incense fragrance but not smoky burning incense, rather chunk of resin incense, clear and sweet with a soapy edge, to my nose. The wood is detectable here as well. I have smelled frankencense and myrrh essential oils at a shop, and seem to recall the myrhh was a sweeter thing, but don't recall fully. As it dries down a bit, it becomes velvety smooth, if you know what I mean, almost buttery, but a bit sourish. It almost seems a sour thing over the vanilla, but sour in a good way.

Bah! I suck at this! Does anyone have opinions on this? I made a stab at it because of the other Gothic thread, and the coinkydink of receiving my samples today. One thing I can say for sure, absolutely, no doubt, is I like Jalaine's Patchouli better.
    I have nothing really to add to this but I think they both sound interesting. Gothic II sounds like something I would really like but it is on the pricey side.

Quote Originally Posted by tdi
    I have nothing really to add to this but I think they both sound interesting. Gothic II sounds like something I would really like but it is on the pricey side.
    Yes, the Gothics are waaaay on the far edge of the pricey side. Like the world when it was flat, poised to fall off the map. I will say this morning, 12 hours and a night in bed later G. I lingers on my hand as an obvious skin scent--mostly vanilla, and only a bit stronger than the Jalaines.

However. The Gothic II still radiates vanilla frankincense vapor through my cotton knit PJ top. I mean it still has sillage. Through my PJ's. My feeling about this is, it might be good for Mick Jagger on tour. One app would last all day and half the night. and you wouldn't believe how little I put on. The rest of us? It's too strong at first, one tiny drop would need to be divided to both wrists and touched to the neck, and would realistically have to be put on after some jojoba oil and rubbed around under clothing or something. On the bright side, one 10ml bottle at $140 smackers would become an heirloom, lasting you the rest of your life, being passed to your children and grandchildren.
    --------------------------------------
    I think Gothic II could be decanted and diluted with jojoba oil to 20ml and still be even in strength to most high end oils--Jalaine, Yosh, etc.
    Last edited by Shycat; 7th March 2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I got as far as this LuckyScent review of Gothic I: "A moody vanilla shrouded in a mist of light woods and patchouli. Sensuous and unrepentant. We picture long hair whipping in the wind, a search by candlelight and a man driven half mad by love. Still, for all of its gorgeous drama, we could wear this everyday. It has the luxuriant skin-caressing softness of a vintage silk velvet cape. Worn over nothing. Voluptuous and mesmerizing." and decided my heart wouldn't take a sampling. ("I'm coming Elizabeth! This is the big one"....for those of you who remember Sanford and Sons.) :bounce:

If I gain courage (and BP medicine) I'll check in with you PussCat!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    I got as far as this LuckyScent review of Gothic I: "A moody vanilla shrouded in a mist of light woods and patchouli. Sensuous and unrepentant. We picture long hair whipping in the wind, a search by candlelight and a man driven half mad by love. Still, for all of its gorgeous drama, we could wear this everyday. It has the luxuriant skin-caressing softness of a vintage silk velvet cape. Worn over nothing. Voluptuous and mesmerizing." and decided my heart wouldn't take a sampling. ("I'm coming Elizabeth! This is the big one"....for those of you who remember Sanford and Sons.) :bounce:

If I gain courage (and BP medicine) I'll check in with you PussCat!!
    LOL! I only got a sample, myself, and G I clearly loses to J. P in my book, as I never have cared for that cedar note of ye old pencil trimmer.

Gothic II, however, is another story. I'm going to dilute my few drops out with jojoba oil today to see how it goes. My PJ arm was pretty killer this am, and this is what always gets me, like nothing I'd ever smelled before.

Well after you said that I had to go right to Lee Rodkin's site and check out II: "Gothic II is a nocturnal elixir of a fragrance that marries vanilla (both classic and essential) and Near Eastern Patchouli with accents of Opium and Frankincense. A concoction for seekers and daring paramours of life's journeys, it veers off the beaten path and evokes images of exotic bazaars and inner chambers shrouded in mystery. This perfume is the olfactory equivalent of a piece of jewelry that transcends its function as simple adornment to become a talisman." (Wha-a-a-a-t?)

Being a "daring paramour" and lover of "nocturnal elixirs" (??? "There'll always be a copywriter" - said the ex-copywriter) I may just have to get samples myself. I adore over-the-top frags.

You've already converted me to Amouage, you naughty pusser, what's next???? :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    s.

You've already converted me to Amouage, you naughty pusser, what's next???? :bounce:
    Well, dear, I found the little packet of pass-ons I left out of your box, with the Montale Ouds and Amouge Dia. I'll put it in the mail here in a bit.

[QUOTE=Shycat]Yes, the Gothics are waaaay on the far edge of the pricey side. Like the world when it was flat, poised to fall off the map. I will say this morning, 12 hours and a night in bed later G. I lingers on my hand as an obvious skin scent--mostly vanilla, and only a bit stronger than the Jalaines.

However. The Gothic II still radiates vanilla frankincense vapor through my cotton knit PJ top. I mean it still has sillage. Through my PJ's. My feeling about this is, it might be good for Mick Jagger on tour. One app would last all day and half the night. and you wouldn't believe how little I put on. The rest of us? It's too strong at first, one tiny drop would need to be divided to both wrists and touched to the neck, and would realistically have to be put on after some jojoba oil and rubbed around under clothing or something. On the bright side, one 10ml bottle at $140 smackers would become an heirloom, lasting you the rest of your life, being passed to your children and grandchildren.

LOL. I love the idea of a heirloom perfume being passed around by my family! I can already visualize them fighting over who has to be the keeper of the fragrance destined to outlive the entire clan.
    -------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Well, dear, I found the little packet of pass-ons I left out of your box, with the Montale Ouds and Amouge Dia. I'll put it in the mail here in a bit.
    Ooooooh! Bad pusser!

I like these and would probably get Gothic I if I didn't have to give up my first-born for it! Wow- talk about expensive! They both probably have REAL opium in them.

Seriously. Gothic II reminds my husband of a New Age bookstore with all the incense and oils and potions floating about in the air. I can agree. He likes this one a lot. I like Gothic I the best though. Perhaps it's because of that hit of cedar that you mentioned Shycat. For some reason I find it really deep and beautiful and not quite like anything else out there. (Unfortunately!) I think it does have several different types of vanilla, then patchouli, and cedar. It also lasts a very, very long time on me, even if I just use a tiny bit. I know if I could afford a bottle it would probably last a very long time, but...it seems like highway robbery. I have to console myself with a couple samples.

Glad to see them getting some press, no one really talks about them very much. Probably because of cost.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!