Code of Conduct

Default New (To me, at least) Frags

I received my Trussardi Uomo a few days ago, and I must say it strikes me as a very... 'classy' scent. To me it smells of leather and roses (Though I don't spy 'rose' as a note. Either chalk that up to ignorance or just a bad nose). Wearing it now, and I'm still getting more 'Rose' than I would have anticipated from the 'Spicy Leather' reviews I've read -- Though I quite like the scent.

In the meantime, my girlfriend picked me up a bottle of D&G PH. I like it -- Especially around the middle. I don't much care for it 'The morning after' so to speak. Odd soapy sort of scent is left behind after the niceness goes away -- Granted, it speaks well of a frag to smell ANYthing after a good twelve hours, but it bites at my nose enough to bear a mention. (It works miracles on the girlfriend, either way...)

I still want to pick up a bottle of Gucci PH... though being in the middle of a plethora of licensing fees puts a damper on that aspiration. Love the scent I've sampled -- Granted, it does bring to mind that woodchip hamster bedding sort of smell, but... Neh, I like it anyway. Wood is good.

The other bottle my girlfriend picked up for me out of the blue, Boss Soul... It's growing on me in a 'I have it, so I'm getting used to it' sort of way. Far too floral to fit my tastes, but it does smell decent enough -- Though to my nose, it'd be a female's scent. Maybe it's the lavender doing it? Not -bad-, just not "me".

At the end, I still return to Humble Quorum if I want to just sit around and snort at my wrist for hours on end. I love it... and that's a word reserved for professional sports teams. Or beer. Looooove it. That initial drydown... say middle-to-base notes... just GRABS me. Luckily, my GF likes it. Other comments have been along the lines of, "That smells good, but it's not sweet enough." and, "Is that Polo?" And a couple of mid-hug neck sniffsniffs.

There are a few other 'Target' frags that I've been growing interested in, though I'm curious to see if the rant on my preferences could give the experts some ideas of a category to explore? "Leather chypres", "Spicy woodys"? The categorizations still leave me a touch confused.

-Secondary- to that, can anyone recommend some good places a person could order -samples- of said recommendations? Google tends to just produce random 'Free sample' offers of scents I don't care about, and eBay tends to offer up shipping costs the likes of which I might as well just blind buy a bottle.

Thanks!
    --------------------------------------
    It seems to be relevant with all of the people posting summer vs winter frags lately... I'm a Central Texas sort of person. It gets hot. It gets REAL hot. 'Winter' is a fairly vague concept around here. *heh*
    Last edited by Travtex; 8th March 2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: New (To me, at least) Frags

As far as Target fragrances go...
    Brit Burberry - Kind of powdery for the warm weather, but an excellent cologne nonetheless.
    Burberry Touch - Might help you get used to the idea of floral for a man. Sharp.
    Gucci Envy - If you can get it, it's a perfect example of "Spicy woods", though it may get a little sweet on the drydown.

If you can find a store that just does perfume, go and spend a little while there, otherwise, Sephora or Nordstroms will be the place for you. I'd recommend Bulgari pour Homme, Bulgari Black, Fahrenheit (Definite try, but very polarizing), and Vetiver by Guerlain.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    As far as Target fragrances go...
    Brit Burberry - Kind of powdery for the warm weather, but an excellent cologne nonetheless.
    Burberry Touch - Might help you get used to the idea of floral for a man. Sharp.
    Gucci Envy - If you can get it, it's a perfect example of "Spicy woods", though it may get a little sweet on the drydown.

If you can find a store that just does perfume, go and spend a little while there, otherwise, Sephora or Nordstroms will be the place for you. I'd recommend Bulgari pour Homme, Bulgari Black, Fahrenheit (Definite try, but very polarizing), and Vetiver by Guerlain.
    - Rich
    I have sampled Burberry... It was the best in the bunch of a 'Neh' bunch, but I could say I liked it without reservation. (Not sure if that's the same of 'Brit Burberry'. I asked which Burberry it was, and the SA looked at me oddly and said, 'It's... Burberry.')

Gucci Envy I've smelled at... surprisingly... Albertson's Food Stores. I might not have given it much of a chance, but it seemed too fruity-sweet on the paper. Granted, it could be vastly different on skin, but skin slots at the time were booked.

No shot on the Perfume Exclusive Store here, I'm in Possum Butt, Texas. Of the ones you list there, though, I've been keenly interested in Guerlain's Vetiver for some while. As economically as it can be had, it's been a tempting blind buy candidate. Thanks.

As far as Burberry's go;
    Burberry for Men: Clear bottle, amber juice.
    Burberry Brit: Grey Plaid bottle, clear juice (I've had a lot of SA's tell me that this is Burberry. They're wrong, and I've argued I don't know how many times.)
    Burberry London: Cloth Brown Plaid on the outside.
    Burberry Touch: Conical bottle, clear liquid.

Vetiver was a great blind buy for me, but I'm one of the individuals that don't get the "burnt tobacco" note in it. I smoke cigars, so I'm not sure what the deal is, but I really just see it as a great green scent.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

You're right on about Trussardi, the main notes are bergamot and lavender, rose and clove, moss patchouli, labdanum, and olibanum, with further notes listed being majoram, aldehyde, thyme, juniper, iris, bay, cinnamon, honey, cedarwood, vetiver, tonka, leather and musk. Léonard pour homme (discontinued) is Trussardi minus the rose essentially, thus very clove centered. Both ,just like Quorum, are classed as leathery chypres, but Quorum has more citrus in the top notes and a patchouli heart. Thus you might also greatly enjoy Portos by Balenciaga (discontinued), Jil Sander Man Pure (discontinued) - and perhaps, try the controversially over-the-top but dirt cheap One Man Show by Bogart. It's frequently available for under ten bucks, and you could dilute it 10:1 and still have a powerscent. A more updated version of these 80s chypres would be Varvatos Vintage, though I'm still wrestling with those sweet fruity notes. Hey, and being in Texas you're a natural candidate for Tauer's Lone Star Memories - a strong, tarry leather much discussed here. For spicy woody, try Bois du Portugal by Creed. Everybody has to have tried it once. Nothing better out there IMHO.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

"Vetiver was a great blind buy for me, but I'm one of the individuals that don't get the "burnt tobacco" note in it. I smoke cigars, so I'm not sure what the deal is, but I really just see it as a great green scent."

Sounds like I'd like it. Technically, I smoke cigars, but it's more a case of just liking the smell of them. I'll go out and get one, say, every two or three months with the intent of smoking it. About half of those, I smoke, the rest I tend to forget about before getting around to it, heh.

"You're right on about Trussardi, the main notes are bergamot and lavender, rose and clove, moss patchouli, labdanum, and olibanum, with further notes listed being majoram, aldehyde, thyme, juniper, iris, bay, cinnamon, honey, cedarwood, vetiver, tonka, leather and musk."

Thanks. The rose really leaps out at me, and I didn't see it in the BN frag tree. Thought I was having some sort of olfactory dysfunction. *snerk* Speaking of clove -- I got a whiff of Michael for Men (Kors), today (Albertson's has it for 23 bucks). Major clove to my nose. Also gave Envy another sniff... Better than I remember it, but there's something in there that gives me a bit of a lung tickle. Might not be asthma-friendly.

"Both ,just like Quorum, are classed as leathery chypres, but Quorum has more citrus in the top notes and a patchouli heart."

Might be the patchouli that I'm addicted to.

"Thus you might also greatly enjoy Portos by Balenciaga (discontinued), Jil Sander Man Pure (discontinued) - and perhaps, try the controversially over-the-top but dirt cheap One Man Show by Bogart. It's frequently available for under ten bucks, and you could dilute it 10:1 and still have a powerscent. A more updated version of these 80s chypres would be Varvatos Vintage, though I'm still wrestling with those sweet fruity notes. Hey, and being in Texas you're a natural candidate for Tauer's Lone Star Memories - a strong, tarry leather much discussed here. For spicy woody, try Bois du Portugal by Creed. Everybody has to have tried it once. Nothing better out there IMHO"

Thanks for the suggestions -- On to sample-finding; Is there any general site/online store offering up a good selection of samples/minis without just ripping you on the shipping? (I've been looking at some BdP vials and just dreading spending more on the shipping than the vial.)