Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge Old Versions

I came across the old 100 Ml bottles of Vetiver and Habit Rouge. $30-35 each. Can't try them in store though.

I have new Guerlain Vetiver and love it. I tried Habit Rouge and always liked it, but don't remember which concentration and edition it was.

So I wonder is it worth buying any of these two? Regarding the old Vetiver: is it very different and in a good way from the new version?

Regarding Habit Rouge: is old version (edt) any different from new editions (I know there were edc, edt and edp or something). If the new packaging smells the same or pretty similar, I won't buy it now.

Also, I have no idea how old are these bottles and how they were stored.

Your ideas?

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge Old Versions

Buy buy buy..

The old vetiver is definitely diferent and most prefer it (including me), though the new one is still great. I have only smelled the old habit rouge so I can't speak on comparison for that, though the old one is very good.

If the juice is in good condition you will have no trouble selling on if you decide to and you may never have another chance to pick up these discontinued classics.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Boal
    I came across the old 100 Ml bottles of Vetiver and Habit Rouge. $30-35 each. Can't try them in store though.

I have new Guerlain Vetiver and love it. I tried Habit Rouge and always liked it, but don't remember which concentration and edition it was.

So I wonder is it worth buying any of these two? Regarding the old Vetiver: is it very different and in a good way from the new version?

Regarding Habit Rouge: is old version (edt) any different from new editions (I know there were edc, edt and edp or something). If the new packaging smells the same or pretty similar, I won't buy it now.

Also, I have no idea how old are these bottles and how they were stored.

Your ideas?
    My view: Buy!!

Old vetiver = great (I have a small amount in a "mini", precious stuff!)
    new vetiver = good

Old HR edt = to me, not as marked in difference to the "new" formulation of the edt. I am happy with the new edt, in contrast to vetiver, where I prefer the older creation.

If they also have Derby and Jicky, pm me (and me only )

I'm one of the few that feel that the old and new Vetivers are almost equally great.

I own both and slightly prefer the original formula, but if I only could get the new one I'd be perfectly happy (lucky I know where there's a great supply of the original so I won't have to worry for a while).

I would definitely buy the original.

I'm not sure about the Habit Rouge though.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I cannot wear Guerlain Vetiver due to the tobacco note in the base, but I have tried both versions and would have to say I prefer the original. I tried it just last week. It seems a little more full and less citrus at the top. The drydown was somehow a little sweeter maybe for me as well with the original.

Buy them. I cannot speak to the old vs. new Vetivers (Pluran has posted on this several times), but the older Habit Rouge is noticeably - not extremely but enough to smell it - more animalic and richer in the drydown. You can smell the animalic content in the topnotes, then as it dries, it blends very nicely with the vanilla, smells richer than the new, and lasts longer, at least on my skin.

Robyogi's description is accurate. The new Habit Rouge is still excellent but the vintage juice is richer, more balsamic, animalic. The EDC is the best overall concentration.

Vintage Guerlain Vetiver is dark, rich, pungent, like a quality single malt scotch. I own the EDT. I've sampled the EDC and it's also excellent. It's not a fragrance for those who don't love vetiver. The new stuff is a reformulation. Sort of like an ambiguous variation of the original blended with 7 Up. The new one smells great but I have yet to derive genuine satisfaction from it. A few sprays of the vintage is all you need (tenacity/longevity is exceptional - 12 hours or more), whereas I can spritz out several milliliters of the new stuff and require more within a few hours. Regardless of heavy application, it has a hard time getting me where I want to go. Perhaps that's why they made an extreme version - not that it will be anything like the original. Either way, I know a lot of people love the new stuff. There are a number of good vetivers from various houses out there. It's hard to go wrong with many of them.

How can one easily tell the old (original) Guerlain Vetiver's?

If it's in the tall rectangular bottle, not the current flat one with grooves, is that old stock? I just ordered some new GV, but methinks I should find some of the old stock as well.

Any insight appreciated by a new fragnut.

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan
    How can one easily tell the old (original) Guerlain Vetiver's?

If it's in the tall rectangular bottle, not the current flat one with grooves, is that old stock? I just ordered some new GV, but methinks I should find some of the old stock as well.

Any insight appreciated by a new fragnut.
    Yeah, I think you're right. The classic tall bottle with the stuck-on
    green label is the old stuff. The fancy grooved bottle is the new stuff.

To me the juice is very close to the same in both, but the old is maybe
    a little less citrusy. [Maybe it's old enough to be losing the top notes.]
    Anyway, I think both are great. Since you have access to the old one,
    try it first. Then sample the new one sometime at a store and see if
    you can detect the difference.

As for Habit Rouge, I've only smelled the EdT, and I think I have a bottle
    from the late 90's. Don't know if it's been modified since then.

The older Vetiver is like from a parallel universe, where everything is recognizable, but somehow just slightly more stylish and "right." I personally find the tobacco much too noisy in the new one, the original seemes better balanced, classier, more of a vetiver scent indeed. So as everyone else has said: buy, especially at that price.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

It's all a bit puzzling for me.
    The new Guerlain's Vetiver EDT is slightly greener and crisper than the old version - but that could just be because the old version is old, and has lost a bit of its top notes. The new version EDT lasts several hours longer than the old version.

I also have the old version splash EDC, which curiously seems to last longer on me than the EDT, but it doesn't project as much as the EDT.

I've got Habit Rouge EDC spray in the old bottle. I like it more than Habit Rouge EDT in the old bottle.
    Renato

First of all, thanks a lot for so many replies.

Guess what. I want there, and Vetiver was on further sale, so I got a 100 ml bottle for 12 bucks. Needed no more thinking. Even wanted to get more than one (there were several of them), but decided that I already have another bottle - new version, which will last me long time, and don't want to stock for next ten years.

So I got both, and ill be testing them today. I am not as good at describing he scents, but will post what I think. And another one I got was Romeo Gigli original - for another 12 bucks. It was another happy day.

But waht I get from your replies is that old vetiver is pretty different from the new version, and the old Habit Rouge is not that different, but more animalistic and thus better. seems like now I will be able to enjoy them, I hope.