Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Yohji Homme & Old Spice..?

I got a new decant of Yohji Homme this week. I was really looking forward to it based upon 1) the reviews I read (a few of the BaseNoters go GAGA over this stuff 2) the fact that it was discontinued 3) I got it at a REALLY GREAT PRICE.

Tried it and frankly...I can't stand it.

I let my boyfriend smell it (thinking maybe HE'D like it). He said it reminded him of Old Spice. We both kind of laughed. I sniffed it and...yes, now that he mentioned it, I had to agree with him. The opening blast (not the gourmand notes that follow it) are IMO very similiar to Old Spice. I can't even tell what note it is that I'm smelling...it's an 'old' and 'spicy' note, I guess?

Any-who: I know here on BN we had a few threads in the past month where guys wore Old Spice (and dared us to follow their lead...I didn't) - so can any of these guys or anyone else familiar with these 2 scents smell the similarity, or is it just my crazy ass nose?

Default Re: Yohji Homme & Old Spice..?

Uh Yep. It's just you and your boyfriend's crazy ass nose. I have both and can not detect any commoness. Yohji smells yummy and Old Spice smells, a well, like Old Spice. And my girlfriend concurs with my opinion.

Thrax

Sorry bub, cant agree with you on this one. I dont find any similarities.

No, Yohji Homme smells nothing like Old Spice. Wait, are you talking about the old Yohji Homme, or the new one? I've only smelled the old one.

Basenotes Institution

The 'new' one...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    The 'new' one...
    If you are referring to the decant you got from me, it's the original one from Patou (in the long, slender bottle). I just sprayed some on myself and must agree with the others that I don't see any Old Spice connection.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 7th March 2007 at 08:09 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    If you are referring to the decant you got from me, it's the original one from Patou (in the long, slender bottle). I just sprayed some on myself and must agree with the others that I don't see any Old Spice connection.
    Oops...I stand corrected.

Thanks for everyone's help in confirming that I have a f*#&ed up nose!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    Oops...I stand corrected.

Thanks for everyone's help in confirming that I have a f*#&ed up nose!
    There's nothing wrong with your nose, of course. Our noses pick up certain notes or scents more than others (given our body make-up), so perhaps there is a similar note in the mix somewhere that you just happen to pick up that day more than another person, even smelling the same fragrance. I've made some odd associations before, as well, that later I thought, "Just what is wrong with my nose?" For example, one day a while back I thought Patou's EnJoy smelled a lot like Versus Uomo. Do they? Not really, but there is some note in there that on that day my nose picked up more than usual.

So, no worries (except that, yes, it IS the original Yohji you have from Patou!)
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho