Code of Conduct

Default Sea, sun, sand and wind

My friend is looking for a fragrance that smells like this. Something sunny, salty, aquatic, fresh, but not lotos- or waterlily-like fresh. And no sweet flowers or vanilla, please. Do you have any suggestions? Preferably mainstream - there are very few perfumeries selling niche fragrances in the vicinity (well, in the whole country :\ ).
    She had the Cool Water Woman, but wants something more salty and dry - Cool Water is too simple and doesn't satisfy her anymore. Dior Dune is somewhat sandy, but waaay too sweet. Givenchy Eau Torride is salty and citrusy and dry, but too dry and stern.
    I suggested trying some male frags, it seems to me there should be a better range of non-sweet sea freshness, maybe some Dunhills or L'eau par Kenzo...

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Sea, sun, sand and wind

Eau des Merveilles by Hermes - definitely!

Also, perhaps New West for Her by Aramis - 2nd place...a little more 'fruity' though, but melon fruit not berries (an oldie, but a goodie)

Blog Entries

One scent that is often overlooked is Tommy Girl. I still think it's among the best "Fresh" frags, esp. mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    One scent that is often overlooked is Tommy Girl. I still think it's among the best "Fresh" frags, esp. mainstream.
    Amen!! Ditto also Eau des Merveilles, available from Amazon online. Not sure about the shipping. Or Figue Amere (Miller Harris) which occasionally shows up on EBay.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Escada Into the Blue. Quite aquatic, and they are giving away samples here.

Fairchild by Anya's Garden

My review of it here:
    http://perfumeshrine.fortunecity.com...ry38.html#body

And Eau de Merveilles for the Nth time.....

A few months ago, I wore Eau d'Ivoire by Pierre Balmain to bed and I dreamt of myself lying on a massage chair under the shade of an umbrella on a secluded beach...
    This scent has a salty note and I enjoy wearing it whenever I have this crave for this lemony saltiness.
    Notes:
    Mandarin, Bergamot, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Raspberry, Jasmine, Moss, Cedar wood.

Funny you get that from it, Coconut - I was very surprised to find it was classed as a green fragrance as it's a light, white floral on me! No salt or lemons at all!

Get a sample of Sandflowers by Montale. Aedes.com carries it. It was a woody marine scent, salty from start to finish, featuring juniper berries and oakmoss. It is very open, airy, and spacious. It is hard to find a marine scent for women that doesn't have floral notes. There is not fruit, either. This is a very good scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet
    Funny you get that from it, Coconut - I was very surprised to find it was classed as a green fragrance as it's a light, white floral on me! No salt or lemons at all!
    I am not sure... may be I have a wrecked nose...
    I have a feeling that my Eau d'Ivoire is not all that fresh. Just a thought, perhaps, I should send you a decant and let you have a sniff.

Basenotes Institution

I would also recommend Virgin Island Water by Creed - wearing it today, and it has that same 'salty water' scent that Eau des Merveilles has, minus the citrus...a very classy use of the coconut note too, I might add.

Demeter has two new "beach" themed fragrances. "Hawaiian Surf" is the saltier one. There's also Demeter Fragrance Library's "Salt Air." And for a beachy/salty smell, you could try Bond's Fire Island or CB I Hate Perfume's At the Beach 1968. Both of those have a definite "salt" in the accord of human skin heated by the sun after being in the water + suntan lotion (coconut and/or light fruit scents).

Michael Kors has added a limited edition "Hawaii" to his "Island" line, but I think that may be too sweet (pinapple) for what you're looking for.

There's this new thing I saw advertised at the Victoria's Secret catalog: Privet Bloom. It has a very "New England summer" feel to it: honeysuckle, driftwood, and something salty/sandy. It varies between white floral and salty...
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

There is one called "Sea & Sun in Cadaques" by Dali, i think it's kinda watery-soft but yes it can feel a bit beachy as well.

Davidoff has many "sea & sun" versions of her woman's frag as well.

I personally like Eau de Merveilles and both Escada (2005) and Into the Blue (by escada also), they have that certain beachy feel to me too.