Code of Conduct

Question Help needed - Summery (Humid weather) fragrances? Any suggestions?

This summer in Australia has been very hot & humid. Every fragrance I own is very difficult to wear on these types of days. I'm currently creating a new fragrance wardrobe from scratch & would love to have at least one summery fragrance in my collection.

The problem is I don't wear fresh/clean smelling fragrances well. I love them on other people but just haven't found any that work with my chemistry.
    eg. Eternity Purple Orchid - smells like chemicals, the window cleaner variety
    Clean - smells like overpowering, over-ripe & almost rotting lemons
    Paradise - a horrible musty note over-rides those beautiful green tropical notes that I've smelt on a couple of people who wear this fragrance
    Burberry for Women - all I smell is strong cedarwood it overpowers all the other notes
    Burberry Weekend - goes sickly, sickly, sickly sweet (imagine cloyingly sweet & triple it)

I don't mind fruity or sweet (in moderation) but would hate to smell like a bowl of fruit salad! I love florals but usually wear them in combo with other fragrance families.

I seem to wear rose, violet, ylang ylang, lavender, vanilla, patchouli, incense, aniseed, most musks & sandalwood well. Oh, apricot can be very nice depending on the combo of notes. Spices are a bit more hit & miss with me but when they work they smell amazing.

I'm totally stumped & any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Help needed - Summery (Humid weather) fragrances? Any suggestions?

Dear moonlight, I used to live in Sydney and I know exactly what you are talking about in regards of the weather over there.
    There are a few personal favourites which I have worn a lot when I was residing there.

Kenzo Flower - wild hawthorn, bulgarian rose, parma violet, cassia, hedione, white musk and vanilla

Kenzo Parfum D'ete is a green, floral fragrance. Hyacinth, freesia, narcissus, peony, rose and jasmine are combined with musk and amber. (This is fresher and greener than Kenzo Flower)

Byblos by Byblos - violet, grapefruit, honeysuckle, and spicy notes of pepper and musk. This is a sharp floral. Not sure if this is available in Australia. This has an amazing sillage and quite long lasting.

Annick Goutal's Folavril - A mango, jasmine, Boronia flower, and spicy tomato leaf blend. I got my first bottle from David Jones City Store. I am not sure if they still carry it.

Hope this helps, good luck!

i really enjoy my Etro Anice in the heat and humidity of summer.

anise, bergamot, rosewood, jasmine, fennel, caraway, iris, vanilla, musk, amber

keep it in chilled in the 'fridge and it's super-refreshing!

I know exactly how you feel - I live in North Queensland and the weather impacts your perfume choices like nothing else.

One that I think you should try is Carolina Herrera 212. It's clean and fresh but not made for a teenage girl.

It's actually funny that you posted this because I bought a bottle of jlo Miami Glow today, I was inspired by the disgustingly hot muggy weather we're having up here. Like you, I don't like to smell like a fruit salad (that's exactly the description I use too) but Miami Glow has a really lovely drydown which is quite floral. I would recommend it, embarassing as that is
    Last edited by ozkat; 9th March 2007 at 05:59 AM.

Have you tried Ange ou Demon? Its not really my kind of thing, but having tried it and also smelled it on someone who's chemistry worked really well with it, I think it might work for you. It has a strong mandarin note that makes it seem summery (to me) but at the same time it has those woody and floral notes that you're after, giving it a bit more depth than the usual fruity fresh fragrances.

In the very hottest muggiest weather I like Diorella or Eau d'Hadrien. I also love Jean Nate. They're all citrussy. Diorella blooms particularly nicely in the warmth, imo - not just lemony but jasmine & basil & vetiver. Very nice scent. Men's version is Eau Sauvage, also nice and women can wear it, but I prefer Diorella.

I think perfume can be nauseating in hot weather but I like to wear The Body Shop tea rose even though some people think it's too strong. It works for me.

Other choices are: The Body Shop lemon tea and fuzzy peach. Oils are kinder to my skin in the heat than alcohol based scents.

Also check out L'Occitane. They have some nice florals that are extremely light and easy to wear in the heat.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Default Guerlain eau deCoq

the weather here turned hot andhumid today and I am wearing de Coq. It is cologne so it doesn't last long, but it is light and refreshing and my husband sail "what is that good smell?" Here is what some of the basenoters have said:
    Eau du Coq is a light refreshing cologne. The bergamot and citrus notes are fairly dominant my boyfriend very accurately says it smells like Earl Grey tea! Comparing it with Eau Imperiale, its much "rounder" thanks to the tonka (which I prefer). I especially like it layered with Guerlain florals from the Aqua Allegoria series.

by hanna8577 , 11 January 2007, Sweden

Another beautiful and superb Eau from guerlain. It has survived over a hundred years because of its simple, elegant excellent quality. It has the classic combination of bright, light, dry, crisp top/middle notes of lemon, bergamot, a little lavender and rosemary over a gentle and very subtle tonka.

Uplifting, airy and always appropriate.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I don't wear "fresh" scents well either. They seem either too high-pitched or sour.

For a time I liked Fresh Cucumber Baie, but the green galbanum note finally wore me down. Then I sampled a number of tea fragrances, settling with Carthusia IO which is sweetened with fig. Just yesterday I sampled Annick Goutal's Mandragore. On me it's predominantly a mild, sweet, classy spearmint. It's sillage, however, is zero. Another similar fragrance is Nanadebary Green. Many ladies like Gres Cabotine.

I'm awaiting a sample of Sage Machado's self-named Sage: Top notes cucumber, white sage; middle notes wild sweet pea; base notes green musk, Egyptian musk, tonka bean.

If any/all of these products are hard to come by in Australia, post your situation here, and somebody will help you figure out how to get what you want.

Our monthly discussions based on a scent theme (known as first-Saturdary-of-the-month "Sniff 'n' Speak") will be addressing fresh/floral/citrus/green/aquatic scents in upcoming months, so watch for those threads and please join in with your findings.

January--Oriental
    February--Animalic (civet-, castoreum- or leather-influenced scents)
    March--Chypre
    April--Floral
    May--Fruity
    June--Citrus
    July--Green
    August--Fresh or aquatic
    September--Fougere or men's fragrances
    October--Ambery
    November--Spicy
    December--Gourmand
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

Try New West for Her by Aramis - sand, watermelon & a very slight tartness - I live in Miami & it gets pretty humid here too, I wore this at a picnic last weekend and it worked perfectly

Smile Re: Help needed - Summery (Humid weather) fragrances? Any suggestions?

Just wanted to let you know that I found my summer fragrance - Trussardi Skin by Trussardi. It's perfect for humid weather & smells amazing on me!

Although it wasn't listed as a suggestion, it was included as a freebie sample with a bag of samples/mini's purchased using suggestions from this thread.

So, a BIG THANK-YOU to everyone who reply with their suggestions, without this thread, I'd still be searching for my perfect summer scent!

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes and Fleurs d 'Oranger by Serge Lutens beat everything for hot and humid weather!

both are extremely lasting, Un Jardin sur le Nil is the most refreshing one, Fleurs d 'Oranger is the sexiest most sensual one.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11 View Post
    In the very hottest muggiest weather I like Diorella or Eau d'Hadrien. I also love Jean Nate. They're all citrussy. Diorella blooms particularly nicely in the warmth, imo - not just lemony but jasmine & basil & vetiver. Very nice scent. Men's version is Eau Sauvage, also nice and women can wear it, but I prefer Diorella.
    I used to wear Eau d 'Hadrien in the late 90's during the summer in New York but the problem is it 's not lasting at all, I spent so much money on it, I love that scent but when it 's 90 degrees outside and 100% humidity it 's all gone in less than 5 minutes!
    I also love Diorella and Cristalle EDT but I find them more reminiscent of springtime, same as Hadrien they don 't perform good if it s too hot unless you keep reapplying all day.
    Last edited by Jasmin de Grasse; 15th March 2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin de Grasse View Post
    Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes and Fleurs d 'Oranger by Serge Lutens beat everything for hot and humid weather!

both are extremely lasting, Un Jardin sur le Nil is the most refreshing one, Fleurs d 'Oranger is the sexiest most sensual one.
    --------------------------------------

I used to wear Eau d 'Hadrien in the late 90's during the summer in New York but the problem is it 's not lasting at all, I spent so much money on it, I love that scent but when it 's 90 degrees outside and 100% humidity it 's all gone in less than 5 minutes!
    I also love Diorella and Cristalle EDT but I find them more reminiscent of springtime, same as Hadrien they don 't perform good if it s too hot unless you keep reapplying all day.
    Wow! Fleurs d' Oranger maybe a great summer night-time scent. I love the aroma of orange blossom & I love sensual fragrances.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Now, I just need to find a sample & have it react beautifully with skin chemistry. I'll have my fingers, toes & anything else I can think of crossed!!!

have you tried Cristalle by Chanel? You mentioned not liking citrus fragrances that much, but this one is different. It gets me through the New York summers pretty much unbowed by the heat and humidity.