Code of Conduct

Default NoTD: L'Artisan's Tea for Two

Next up in the pile of samples..... Tea For Two, but before I get into that, I have a quick question from a descriptive point of view. If I'm trying to take a note on this scent, is it best to not try to match what I'm smelling with what I think the ingredient is? Say I'm smelling T42, and I smell something that's slightly medicinal and slightly smoky and tea-like. Would it be better just to say that, or would it be better if I tried to make the jump and say 'this smells like Birch Tar', even though there may be no Birch Tar in the scent at all? But on to the note!

L'Artisan's Tea For Two - As advertised, this smells like a great cup of strong, black tea, perhaps Lapsang Souchong (smoked over pine boughs), that someone has tried to cut the bitterness out of by adding a bit too much honey. It seems to me that this shares the honey note with Mechant Loup, as it's a warm, golden aura of honey that radiates beautifully on my wrist. Though this is exactly as advertised, it doesn't go too far on me - it just sits and smells like smoky tea and honey for a few hours. It does smell rather lovely, but I'd like other things to happen. Perhaps this should be a room fragrance?

Thanks,

Zachary

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: NoTD: L'Artisan's Tea for Two

I wore Tf2 today also, for the very 1st time, from a sample generously donated to me by a BN when I joined as a Supporting Member.

I liked it (I don't think I've smelled a L'Artisan scent yet, that I didn't like upon first sniff) but I probably won't buy - the opening reminded me too much of Ambre Narguile by Hermes, and the tea notes weren't 'black' enough for me (maybe I was expecting too much from the reviews..?)

Total admiration here for the scent - but I'm gonna try many of other L'Artisan's before I ever buy this one.

I can't believe it took me so long to find this thread!

I would say that you will smell a smokey, honey scent that is dry, not warm, but very relaxing and inviting. It is a romantic scent, to me, and it works well as an every day scent and as a special events scent. I wear it less often because I don't want to play it out.

I wouldn't say black tea for the dominant note but is does have a dry, tea leaf smell. It is very nice but soft and easy on the nose so be aware of your dosage. Don't over apply but don't wear so little that you lose the scent after an hour. It works well on clothes. It wears close to the skin but lasts in clothes for days. I would suggest a shot to the shirt in addition to whatever you spray on the body. Enjoy this one... there is nothing like it...

I have this one down as a masterpiece! It is smoky and fresh and sexy, all at the same time. I have had several samples of T4-2 over the years and really should buy a bottle. I think I will go find another sample and wear it today! I love it in the heat.

I have a bottle..it's really a nice scent..
    but I will not buy it the second time.. I like the smokey note..but it does not last long..and the scent starts to smell too sweet
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

I'm giving this a bump - I am wearing T42 for the second time today...it seemed the perfect scent for slightly cooler weather that just arrived in Miami this weekend.

Wow...Olivia G. has done it again, hasn't she? This is just as good as Idole but a little more ethereral and the honey note is very nice. I don't remember my nose being that tuned into honey notes months ago, but now that I can detect it quite skillfully T42's honey note is right up there with Mechant Loup by L'Artisan and Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain.

And the smoke. Well, I remember commenting on Black Tourmaline weeks ago as having such a persistent smokiness to it that I hadn't encountered. But that's not the case - I had totally forgotten about T42's billowy, smoky texture. It balances the sweetness of the honey very well.

One more thing - does anyone else think this reminds them of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford? jock_with_scents - I think you own both of these, no? I think T42 is slightly more complex than TV, but then TV has those formal tobacco notes and T42 has black tea notes. Besides that...I think they're siblings.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th November 2007 at 11:41 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Tea for Two is nice. When I wore a sample of it, it reminded me of a more complex Burberry London. A slight dirty hay smell-- coming inside on a cold day for a nice cup of hot tea-- after having a roll around in a hay loft.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    One more thing - does anyone else think this reminds them of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford? jock_with_scents - I think you own both of these, no? I think T42 is slightly more complex than TV, but then TV has those formal tobacco notes and T42 has black tea notes. Besides that...I think they're siblings.
    It doesn't remind me of TV much. No tobacco, much less vanille. I think they can be appreciated by the same person and they both certainly have little, post-dry down, development. I love them both. Ms. Giacobetti is becoming one of my favorite perfumers. L'Artisan's line is full of gems.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th November 2007 at 12:14 AM.