Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

I completely forgot that there was a structure to this and decided on AA Lemon Fresca at random. About as far from oriental as you can get but it has lasted surprisingly well today and I have really enjoyed the fresh lemonade scent and slightly figgy/woody drydown. I've been indoors and it might not have worked so well if I had been out in the cold but I don't usually wear it in winter.

Default Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Vol de Nuit arrived in today's mail, so I just took a hot shower in preparation for my first wearing. Wow -- it's not very strong, but so far it's lovely. I need to spritz and sniff some more.

Notes via OsMoz:
    Top note : Orange, Lemon, Mandarin, Orange Blossom
    Middle note : Galbanum, Daffodil, Palmarosa, Jasmine
    Base note : Vanilla, Oakmoss, Iris, Sandalwood

Today I wanted to borrow L'Instant de Guerlain l'Homme from my S.O. since he refuses to wear it, but forgot. Vol de Nuit... I've worn it often lately, wanted a change. Samsara... thought about the Ritual Creme but I'm not sure if I'm in the right mood for Samsara. L'Heure Bleue and Jardin de Bagatelle are wanted, but I don't even have samples of them.

AA Winter Delice it is then, and I sprayed on bravely since I'm around the house. And I like it! Dabbed or (over) cautiously sprayed I get a metallic note I'm not sure of. After 4 spritzes today, while I can tell that same note is still present, it becomes part of the spice.

And to think I was so close to gifting or selling my bottle!

Shalimar Shalimar Shalimar...... Oh, how I love this... The plan had been to wear Shalimar until the late afternoon, and then change into Vol de Nuit. But this is Shalimar, and far too gorgeous to do anything other than spritz on some more, and then a bit more!

I started with the EDP because I wanted sillage, and then topped up with the parfum. I am now virtually saturated in it - in fact I know for a fact that I have far too much on, a 'mistake' I tend to make with this one. But it is SO addictive; I just have to remember to have my Shalimar showers when the family are away and I am by myself, and keep to a discreet squirt at other times.

This is my ultimate comfort fragrance; the one I can wear at any time, even when I am ill. The one that makes me wonder why I ever bother to try anything else; the one that makes me feel I have returned. That said, it is not a fragrance that feels like me, in fact it really doesn't feel like me. But it is so lovely I just don't care! I also don't care that DH and sons don't really rate this fragrance; they are polite because they can see the warning glint in my eye, but they have never managed to say they like it. This might be related to the degree of saturation I achieve however...!

I am interested to read Goddess_Dreams experiment of layering Shalimar with Tabac Blond, because Tabac Blond (love it as well!) smells like Shalimar without the vanilla and some of the topnotes to me.

But all this mention of Metalys (NEED sample!) which sounds divine! I need to know, from someone who has both, does it smell anything like Terracotta Voile de Ete?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliamphora
    I completely forgot that there was a structure to this and decided on AA Lemon Fresca at random. About as far from oriental as you can get but it has lasted surprisingly well today and I have really enjoyed the fresh lemonade scent and slightly figgy/woody drydown. I've been indoors and it might not have worked so well if I had been out in the cold but I don't usually wear it in winter.
    Oriental Lemonade!! (With your mention of "figgy" you make me want to try it! (One of the side benefits of these week-long samplings!!)

And remember - there's only ONE RULE - wear only Guerlain. And you can do that on any schedule YOU want! Glad you're in the game!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My week-long journey has started beautifully with Habit Rouge EDP! I applied just two sprays of it to my chest and back/shoulders, beneath my clothes, and it has been my steady, occasionally flirty companion all day. It is happy to have been chosen over its more frisky and naughty EDT and EDC sibllings. EDP is softer, fuller, and more round than either the EDC or EDT, with less of an animalic presence initially. It has a soft citrus/orange blossom opening with vanilla and amber already present, and off the bat is sweeter than either EDT or EDC. However, EDP soldiers on and loses some of its sweetness while picking up some animalic presence courtesy of agarwood. The effect is beautiful and sublime. I think that this would be out-of-this-world on a woman! But, it's mine today!

Jeff

Hi again-- I am officially *loving* my decant of Vol de Nuit edt.

First impressions: I get the bug-spray thing for a minute or two, until the alcohol/citrus blend calms down, then it smells warm and spicy and a bit tart, fruit and spices, like I thought Mitsouko was going to smell until I was waylaid by the hay note. If it wasn't Guerlain week, would do a side-by-side with En Avion as they seem like sister scents.

A couple of hours later, the drydown is vanillic but more complex than just that -- where L'Heure Bleue and even Shalimar gradually decay into a sweet if scrumptious vanilla, Vol de Nuit seems to retain more of an edge -- it's dryer, richer and slightly tarter to my nose. The drydown reminds me of a more subtle version of a current favorite -- Maitre Perfumier et Gantier Or des Indes (built of bergamot, lavender and opopanax). I swear I'm getting a hint of Tabac Blond in there somewhere as well.

OK, Vol de Nuit has officially gone on the Must Buy Full Bottle list after one wearing. My only reservation is scent strength --where can I find this in EDP?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by kasae
    Today I wanted to borrow L'Instant de Guerlain l'Homme from my S.O. since he refuses to wear it, but forgot.
    Please do wear L'Instant de Guerlain l'Homme this week and report back -- I've been curious. The patchouli/amber combo sounds intriguing, and totally wearable by a woman.
    Last edited by coumarin; 11th March 2007 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mitsouko Parfum

Sentir bon....
    Last edited by pluran; 11th March 2007 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black
    Therefore, in unison at least with elf, rtamara and kanutta, I am wearing Samsara today, in its EdT incarnation.
    i am scent quintuplets with this gang and LIB!

i love samsara. the first time i opened my guerlain sampler, i sniffed this and i said "OH MY LORD I LOVE THIS." i promptly got a huge bottle, but this is one i prefer to dab rather than spray. this one throws off a ton of sillage, but if you only put on a tiny bit it is a warm, close-to-the-skin delight. i often get a hint of almond, even though it's not present in the notes. i guess it's the sandalwood.

a nice way to start off guerlain week - and this week, for once, don't have to worry about what to wear! it's like laying out your clothes for the whole week!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

I've had a bit of a dark time this past week, and so I'm behind in getting prepared for Guerlain Week. I had a hard time deciding on a scent today, and ended up wearing some vintage Shalimar parfum. And while certainly very lovely, it wasn't perfect for me today. So tonight, I'm wearing L'Heure Bleu ... ahhhh perfection at last.

L'Heure Bleue is not a scent that I wear often, and very rarely wear it outside my house. It is just too personal, too soulful to share with the outside world. I love the imagery attached to LHB, the idea of the "blue hour," that magical hour when the "sky has lost its sun but hasn't found its stars yet." Many of you know that I am drawn to blue things and blue images, for this reason LHB speaks to me ... it even smells "blue" to me, although more a deep blue-gray, not a cheerful bright hue. I feel pensive and nostalgic and even a touch melancholy when I wear LHB. But while it's not a perky, fun scent, it's far from depressive either ... I wear it to be introspective, I wear it to be comforted, I wear it to feel safe.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Well, today I had to decide what Guerlain scent goes with a three year old’s birthday party at a model railway set up in the country. There would be train rides on locomotives six feet long and two feet high, and there would be quite a few three year olds, eating fairy bread, and crisps, and running about screaming like banshees in the heat. The answer came to me in a trice: Vetiver, the older formulation, not the current one.

I could fully expect a three year old girl to say “Gee Thomas’s-Daddy, you have about you the saturnine inflections of an older more complex time, something of the Buccaneer, or Adventurer; or perhaps something that speaks of ennui and addiction in the malarial recesses of the human spirit.” Didn’t happen of course, but I could tell they were thinking it.

A rich concoction is the older Vetiver — refined, subtle, and with typical Guerlain notes that render it unmistakable. Distinctly different to the current formulation, which I like less.
    Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    As the semi-official orphan wrangler, you're killing me -- can't wait to find out which one! What day will you wear it?
    "semi-official orphan wrangler" ROFL
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    Eluard - very beautiful box - jealous? moi? I'm going with Heritage too, but from a boring plain old bottle in a cardboard box.

[The postie has just called with my bottle of Lalique Lion, so I am feeling more cheery on the beautiful packaging front ].

Can't wait to wear Apres L'Ondee (from a decant from Silvia from the London lunch) tomorrow.

---------
    Edit - BTW Eluard that inlaid marble table is rather gorgeous too.
    _
    Thanks Michael, the table was bought in India, in Agra, from a workshop not far from the Taj Mahal (they had in fact built a perfect replica of same about eight feet high, in marble and with lapis from Afghanistan). But if you knew the trouble I had getting it into the country you would know that it was paid for in blood!

Last night I went for the Héritage EDP and found it quite different from the EDT that I'd been wearing all day. And oddly, it didn't seem as strong.
    Last edited by Eluard; 11th March 2007 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Today I wore Samsara, which is one of my favorite Guerlains. I always get compliments when I wear it and people always ask what I am wearing but few people are familiar with it. Today I went shopping with my Sister-In-Law and she bought Isolence. I have always thought it was hideous but it smells fabulous on her....you just never can tell until you put something on.

This is going to be a very busy fragrance day.

Let's start with Guerlinade.

Basenotes info:
    "Released as a limited edition in 1998, and again in 2005 for the renovated flagship Guerlain store on the Champs-Elysees. Reorchestrated by Jean Paul Guerlain"

Notes: Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Lilac, Iris, Vanilla and Tonka Beans.

And then you can start a dispute. The scent that is the signature for all Guerlain fragrances is most of the time called the 'Guerlainade'. Logical word.
    This perfume is called 'Guerlinade'. The difference an 'A' makes.
    A lot of people assume that this is the juice that makes the Guerlain perfumes tick, but I doubt it. Only my opinion, of course, but it does not make sense for a firm to guard the secret of their succes and then bring the exact formula out in the open. Of course there has to be a strong relationship I suppose, but not more than that.

And what does Guerlinade for me? It is nice. That dreaded word: 'nice'. Bought because it was limited, which is not the best reason.
    I like it but I miss the Guerlain 'passion' in this fragrance. It is pleasing but not more than that. Sometimes it feels like it have been watered down
    Must be my bodychemistry as usual, because this was bought in the Guerlain shop.
    But it is only part of my scents for today because it is not widely available. I almost pity poor Guerlinade.

Later on the day cause for celebrating: the opening of a bottle of the limited edition of Chamade pour Homme. And I am finally opening it because a French member was so kind to post that this scent will be re-issued at the Guerlain boutique in Paris.

Chamade pour Femme has been one of my most loved scents for years now.
    Smooth, sensual, seductive. And the extrait is one of the most gorgeous fragrances ever made. Usually I layer the EdT with the extrait. The best of both worlds.
    Jasmine is the note that sings loudest on my skin and the delicate drydown of the extrait is something you will never forget.
    Indeed, the extrait is the best you can wear. So close, whispering of love and dreams.

A sweet member gave his permission to quote his thoughts on Chamade here, because I think his words are more beautiful and poetic than those on the Guerlain site:

"For those who don't know french, 'chamade' was the drum beat played in mediaeval times to signal the need for a parley between opposing armies. In reality, it was often a prelude to surrender as often it was the weaker army which sought the parley. So the (rather sexist) connotation is that in the battle of sexes between men and women, the heartbeat of a woman (or man) in love picks up a certain tempo to indicate a willingness to surrender.
    Next time you kiss your partner, check their heartbeat! you yourself can just dab on a bit of Chamade
    ..."

(Thank you so much, dear Aztec )

"Chamade is also a homage to the novel by Françoise Sagan.
    The bottle, in the form of a heart turned upside down, reinforces this sublime evocation of the agitation of love, while the stopper suggests an arrow aimed at the heart." (Quote Guerlain site)

The two bottles of the limited edition Pour Homme/Pour Femme each represent the half of a heart. They can stand on their own but joined together they form one complete heart, strong and beating together in the same cadence.

Notes for Chamade pour Femme, taken from Guerlain's site
    head notes : hyacinth, galbanum
    heart notes : ylang-ylang, jasmine, blackcurrant bud
    base notes : vanilla, sandalwood"

You will have to wait for the notes of the Chamade pour Homme.

And out there, three poor bewildered Guerlain children are crying their heart out: "but you promised!!".
    Oh, Lavande Velours, Gentiana and Plus que Jamais, when nobody wants you today, I will wear you tonight.
    Maybe there will be a angry mob outside shouting for some restriction on fragrances, but you will all go to the Guerlain ball.
    Let's wait and see what happens today.

If this is not a day of "Gorging on Glorious Guerlain........." :bounce:
    Last edited by Riannon; 10th November 2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Adding different quote
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu

... it even smells "blue" to me, although more a deep blue-gray, not a cheerful bright hue. I feel pensive and nostalgic and even a touch melancholy when I wear LHB. But while it's not a perky, fun scent, it's far from depressive either ... I wear it to be introspective, I wear it to be comforted, I wear it to feel safe.

Beautifully stated, ms bleu... this one is my very favourite guerlain and I love it for the same reasons.

For today, floral day, I've chosen the discontinued AA Foliflora. The notes are only available on the Guerlain site if you take their quiz and come up with "Freshen Up"! Took a while to get, but here they are:

Top: Neroli, Bergamot
    Heart: Apricot, Freesia, Gardenia, Sweet Pea
    Base: Angelica, Amber, Vanilla, Sandalwood

Now I wore this on our first warm day here in Ctrl Europe and lo-and-behold, I attracted bees!! Thanks goodness I'm not allergic, but it is a very natural fragrance, I don't think everything in here is synthetic, and the bees don't think so, either! It's light, green, and fresh, doesn't last long but considering its effect on the insect population, maybe that's a good thing! I really like it, though, because I don't care for heavier florals in general.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    Below is the eBay site that has a pic of the vintage Guerlain Habit Rouge (1967) poster identical to the one I own. I am unable to scan/copy to my computer so if someone would be so kind as to do so the link with the picture is right here:

you must add the www.

to the beginning though, as it would be a hot-link if I did it and won't appear here as such:

cgi.ebay.com/1967-Habit-Rouge-by-Guerlain-Vintage-photo-Ad_W0QQitemZ180085893771QQcategoryZ21139QQrdZ1QQss PageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
    Thank you!! Is this your poster? Otherwise I will remove it.

Last edited by Riannon; 11th March 2007 at 06:45 AM.

Sunday is here, time for Floral Flirtation. Going to bed in Rue de la Paix (1922) named after the street where Guerlain opened his first flagship store at Number 15 back in 1840.

My thoughts about it? While I was trying to write something worth reading, I bumped into the short story, which is perfect for describing Rue de la Paix as a fragrance worn by the main lady character in http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/Unknown.html

Mystery, sweetness, haunting memoir. Decants are still available through buffalo_gals!
    Last edited by Twolf; 13th March 2007 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Of course, it is Dianne! Sorry, K!

Floral day has arrived.

Since to be honest it is a lazy sunday for me, not even going out anywhere so only the cats and myself to appreciate decided against Apres L'Ondee and even L'Heure Bleu. It will be Lavande Velours the must despised by many and quickly discontinued.

I fell in love with Lavande Velours on first sniff that powdery violet blast with the lavender trying to keep it all in check. I even once received a compliment whilst wearing it!!!!
    DONNA

To celebrate floral day, I'll be wearing Apres L'Ondee. I sampled it the other day, and on me, my sister tells me that she smells geraniums. Well, she's a certified wine sommelier, and her nose is much better than mine, so she may be onto something.

But then again, fragrances are not the same as grape juice.

Thank God, we're back online! I'm glad the downtime didn't take all too long. Now, back to business!

Yesterday I wore Metallica. The opening of this fragrance is quite overwhelming, but slowly dries down into a powdery blend of ylang-ylang & vanilla. For some reason, a certain note reminded me a lot of a bath oil or bathing in general. Very pleasant!

And for today, I couldn't help but differ from the amber & vanilla topic, since the sun hasn't been shining quite so bright in ages! Therefore, I pulled out the lovely Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. This is a true burst of fruity freshness, a distinct note of grapefruit balanced by some flowers. The main theme is definitely citrussy on me though. Ah, the pleasure of wearing this on a sunny day!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!! Right in the middle of the Guerlain week!

:: Expletives deleted ::

I appreciate the efforts of basenotes admin to be up to date and keep out the spammers but surely this could have been handled better!

Monday

Today was Habit Rouge day. I donned my riding habit and riding boots and went out to the stables where ol’ Equus was waiting. Today we take the hedgerows!

I thought people might like to see the box and bottle of a really ancient bee-bottle of Habit Rouge. This one has a glass stopper and a paper label with a picture on it (children emptying out a perfume jar??). I don’t know when it dates from but possibly the sixties or early seventies. (There is a matching bottle of Vetiver eau de cologne.) As you can perhaps see: this bottle is really huge: 450ml!)

Last edited by Eluard; 12th March 2007 at 12:46 PM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Yesterday I wore Champs Elysées edt. for the first time; a sparkling, bubbling green floral with an impressive tenacity and sillage for an edt.
    Mimosa reminds me of The Cote d'Azur in february; a little town called St.Raphael where I for the first time saw Mimosa trees in real life.

Today I'm in L'Instant....for me a very innocent and peacefull scent; the smell of an infant after its evening bath.

Yesterday would have been Apres l'Ondee or Lavande Velours, but I couldn't remember what the theme for Sunday was. Instead, Samsara worked out well.

I applied the Creme Rituelle to forearms, knees and elbows. Meant to dab on a bit of parfum but got distracted. When I got home it was still nice but not very strong, so... I spritzed some SL Santal Blanc on my wrists. Amazing together! Before bed I decided to retry Samsara Shine after having seen the notes somewhere and being surprised that I hadn't liked it. I added it to the remaining scent of Santal Blanc and Samsara Creme. In fact, I do like it. So out of the swap basket and into my collection of bottles it goes.

Yesterday AM went to church, so floral Guerlain was Champs Elysees, my old standby. Wanted to change to Nahema (thanks, generous BN'er) for the evening but various and sundry things got in the way. Right now I have to go scrub my extra bathroom cause my brother in law's coming to town for business. After that, it'll be what's left of my sample of samsara for the vanilla/amber day. No sense wasting it on Chlorox Clean up.

yesterday i wore champs elysses (i meant to wear l'heure bleu for floral and ce for fruity but i got the days wrong). i didn't particularly like it - it had some kind of....bubblegumminess that i wasn't too crazy about.

today i'm wearing shalimar edp today {angels sing aaaah} whoever said to wait 30 minutes and then it's heaven was spot on. lovely smooth vanilla. the classic oriental.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

So absolutely not amused!!!

But faithful till the end, this Monday I am wearing Samsara and Insolence.

Yesterday when 'the lights went out on Basenotes' I started to decant Metallica in a rather, let's say...forceful way, and a good part of the fluid was spilled over the chairs.

I want to start a new thread "Choking on Guerlain"

I do love Metallica but not the whole darn day through. And it is clashing with the Samsara and Insolence as well.

SAMSARA, an Oriental-Woody, created in 1989 (hundred years after the launch of Jicky) by Jean-Paul Guerlain.
    Bottle by Robert Granai.

Notes for Samsara: Mixing Guerlain site and OzMoz
    Top notes : Citrus notes, Green note, Tarragon
    Middle notes : Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Rose, Carnation
    Base notes : Tonka Bean, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Iris, Benzoin

INSOLENCE, floral-fruity; created in 2006 by Maurice Roucel. Added bonus is the beautiful bottle designed by Serge Mansau

Notes for Insolence from Guerlain's site
    "The olfactory pyramid has been "deconstructed" to reveal three facets of INSOLENT femininity that suit everyone's taste and mood... sparkling violets, glints of red berries and rays of iris"
    Phew, they have a way with words

And OzMoz: ah, decent description, so it seems it can be done after all.

Top notes: Violet, Raspberry pulp, Mixed Berrie
    Middle notes: Violet, Rose, Orange blossom
    Base notes: Iris, Tonka Bean, Resins

Please excuse me, but I think I will change now into yesterday's Lavande Velours. Somehow I have the feeling I need that more then the voluptuous Samsara. And after that I will follow BrothaG's excellent idea: Pamplelune.
    Total anarchy!!

But we will finish this week!! And in style!!

:

It was worth the wait! Look at Eluard's beautiful pic And TWolf's great story. (Thanks, guys!!) Like, WOW.

('Course I didn't feel that way yesterday. Donned FOUR Guerlains in grumpy rebellion. Champs Elysees, Nahema, AA Gentiana [thanks to Shycat for those two!!!] and Chamade - which I almost forgot about 'til Riannon reminded me. My whole house smelled like a flower garden!!)

But on to today. From her last precious bottle the same Riannon gifted me with Guet Apens and I am hopelessly enslaved. From the opening roses and peach one is "trapped - snared - ambushed" by....iris!! The whole settling into a sandlewood/musk/vanilla of unbelievable warmth and sensuality. A fur-coat-and-brocade-wearing, old-fashioned "quality" frag newly re-issued as Attrape-Coeur. Does anyone know if it lives up to GA??

Am headed for the dentist shortly, protected by this heavenly scent! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I woke up Sunday morning with traces of Champs Elysées-Too Much on my arms, and all too quickly remembered why I stopped wearing Champs Elysées all those years ago. I used to wear Champs Elysées and LOVED it – the Floral – Woody - Musk scent. There wasn’t a time I wore, that I did not receive a compliment – this was THE fragrance that always made me feel fantastic! However, when I ran out, I somehow ended up with a HUGE bottle of Champs Elysées-Too Much as a replacement to my dear Champs Elysées. Little did I know back then that they were completely different fragrances, no, I thought that my chemistry had changed, because that surely did not smell anything like my first bottle did. Only later and I mean much later did I learn that this Too Much formula was a Floral - Aldehyde as opposed to my beloved the Floral – Woody - Musk scent. There is a very funny note that rears it’s nasty little ugly head when I wear fragrances commonly labeled as Aldehydes… so perhaps I’m not an Aldehyde girl, but at least I am now still able to enjoy my Champs Elysées that’s always smelled so delicious on me.

Notes for Champs Elysées-Too Much :
    Top notes: Bergamot, Lilac
    Middle notes: Mimosa, Heliotrope, Hyacinthus
    Base notes: Narcissus, Amber

Notes for Champs Elysées:
    Top notes: Peach, Melon, Violet, Anise
    Middle notes: Mimosa, Rose, Peony, Lily of the valley
    Base notes: Vanilla, Benzoin, Cedar, Sandal
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!! Right in the middle of the Guerlain week!

:: Expletives deleted ::

I appreciate the efforts of basenotes admin to be up to date and keep out the spammers but surely this could have been handled better!

Monday

Today was Habit Rouge day. I donned my riding habit and riding boots and went out to the stables where ol’ Equus was waiting. Today we take the hedgerows!

I thought people might like to see the box and bottle of a really ancient bee-bottle of Habit Rouge. This one has a glass stopper and a paper label with a picture on it (children emptying out a perfume jar??). I don’t know when it dates from but possibly the sixties or early seventies. (There is a matching bottle of Vetiver eau de cologne.) As you can perhaps see: this bottle is really huge: 450ml!)

Habit rouge day for me too, I have really been enjoying it. Must wear this more often.Yesterday was vintage vetiver day. I really didn't enjoy it. The tobacco really just doesn't work for me and it is so persistent. I can only wear this two weeks per year happily, when I take my sons camping and am living outdoors. It is perfect then.

Been drifting off to sleep in heavenly citrus groves. Last night it was Du Coq. Looking forward to Imperiale tonight....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks to :bounce: Taolady :bounce: :wave: I poured on vintage Chamade yesterday, then found out Basenotes was down.

Notes: Hyacinth, Galbanum
    Ylang Ylang, Jasmine, Blackcurrent Bud
    Vanilla, Sandalwood

This is a very well put together floral. I wear so much wood that I couldn't smell the wood so much. This classic is heady and lasted all day. It doesn't say it has carnation, but it smelled like it had something a little spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Equus eh
    I really do hope you are not layering with Lalique's Equus (yes, I know it means horse).

I bought my Champs Elysées parfum about 5 years ago and the EDT version 2 years ago. Yersterday I wore both strength to test their endurance and flavours. I have always liked Champs Elysées even though it was not as popular as the other other scents in the Guerlain family. It is a playful scent with all these melon, fruitty and flowery note. It very wearable in HK as it is not too over powering which could be a turn off on public transport. I find the parfum has a smoother opening and more subdue and stay closer to the skin. The EDT version is a little harsher and produce a stronger sillage but they are both good nevertheless.

I got a decant of Nahema from a lovely basenoter. It is a very prominant floral scent which stood out from the crowd. I would call this a feisty floral as it seems powerful and full of force. I could smell the sweetness of peach and the red roses. I am still learning about Nahema and there is something in it that doesn't agree with my nose but I am trying to figure what it was.

I'm wearing Terracotta Voile d'Ete today and I'm happy I got that big ol' bottle unsniffed online for $17!! It's an ambery, carnation-like scent with a strong baked earth drydown (I've not smelled mitti attar yet but maybe this has some??). It's an EdT and is fairly ephemeral (2 hours) but lovely while it lasts. Definitely worth the search, and a great bottle, too.

For Floral Sunday I wore Champs Elysees.It's not a scent I wear that often,but I enjoyed wearing it yesterday It was a huge mood booster,very sparkling and bright to my nose.The notes that stood out on me was Mimosa and Citrus.
    Ooops,nearly forgot to post the sotd:O Today I'm wearing L'instant de Guerlain.It reminds me ever so slightly of Champs Elysees,but much sweeter.It smells like mimosas dripping with honey to me.I enjoy it,but tend to get tired of it fast...
    Last edited by ineespenes; 12th March 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

FOR SUNDAY, MARCH 11:
    Plus que Jamais
    PLOO-KUH-JAH-MAY, "more than ever." I wonder if this did not hail from the house of Guerlain if we would accord it as much reverence. Yes, it's pretty and, as my daughter would say about 99% of my fragrances, "It smells like perfume." Of the bergamot, ylang-ylang, neroli, iris, jasmine and vanilla, I detect the begamot and neroli the least, the jasmine and vanilla the most--jasmine seems to be the ring leader, and this particular vanilla may be the source for the soapy taste in my throat (or is that the ylang or iris?). I usually think of Guerlain's vanilla as different from others and part of the Guerlinade effect, but I don't recognize that characteristic here.

FOR MONDAY, MARCH 12:
    Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    I'm with you, Elf. You stated the situation as well as I ever could. TVd'E is something of a comfort scent--a natural and familiar smell and nothing like what I'd expect to come out of a bottle. I'm not nuts about the spicy carnation top note, but it gives way to that sweet skin scent quickly enough.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hmmmm... I realised after posting that perhaps I cheated yesterday, layering Santal Blanc with my Samsara in the evening. I shall be more careful (I was so caught up in the idea of what it might do to Samsara, is all) ....

And so, to make ammends, I decided to go with Samsara again today. Creme Rituelle and parfum. I'm glad I did, I'm getting over the ambivalence (love but maybe almost dislike) that I have felt for Samsara for a few years. My last wearings have all been happy ones, I suspect my nose has grown since my initial testings - I get far more from scents I've known forever, and like ones I didn't used to or wouldn't expect to.

Mmmm, sandalwood, Samsara, Guerlain. Have a good one all.

Thank you Grant for doing the updates quicker than planned, 48 hours would have been close to impossible to stay away from all the lovely smelling people of the board.

For Sunday I wore Fleur de Feu, the whole 2 ml sample got used up. Mr.Twolf, when asked about his opinion on what it smellt like, said it smellt like perfume. Having received some laughs from me, he said: "Serious, smells like flowers!" Oh well... I guess, the goal for a Floral Sunday was reached! Besides, it was another "orphan" from our list!

For Ambery Monday I am a fraternal scent twin with Taolady -- wearing Attrape Coeur ("heart trap"). Tried Guet Apens about a year ago, do not have them both here to parallel park, and in my perception there IS a difference, with Guet Apens being dryer, containing more benzoin and more triumphant (is this word, by chance, derived from "deserving triple oopmph"? ). I would not have chosen Attrape Coeur for today -- too warm and humid already, seems like we are having an early spring this year, but I am off work for a day and can devote the whole day to things I like. The scent is slow, surrounding and staying close to the skin. It has almost glue-like qualities (for the lack of a better word, sorry), and I feel like a fly trapped inside a chunk of amber, a semi-precious stone varying in color from light honey to dark molasses, wearing it. Would be perfect for frosty days, me thinks.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Guerlain Habit Rouge Edt today.

I didn't wear a Guerlain on Sunday as Basenotes was 'off' and, purist that I am, I refused to prostitute the Guerlain mystique without a suitably knowledgeable group to relate it to..

I can hardly smell my Instant edp. now, it is not very powerfull, - so decided to apply Samsara again. Voluptuous is the right word Riannon.. I have a hard time finding the right adjectives in english, but volupté describes Samsara well.
    Beautiful photo again Eluard. Eluard...is it after the french poet?

My favorite poem of him is L'amoureuse; and why not put it here; parfume and poetry belong together: it will be my tribute to Samsara

L'amoureuse

Elle est debout sur mes paupières
    Et ses cheveux sont dans les miens,
    Elle a la forme de mes mains,
    Elle a la couleur de mes yeux,
    Elle s'engloutit dan mon ombre
    Comme une pierre sur le ciel.

Elle a toujours les yeux ouverts
    Et ne me laisse pas dormir.
    Ses rêves en pleine lumière
    Font s'évaporer les soleils,
    Me font rire, pleurer et rire,
    Parler sans avoir rien à dire

(tr. by Samuel Beckett)

She is standing on my lids
    And her hair is in my hair
    She has the colour of my eye
    She has the body of my hand
    In my shade she is engulfed
    As a stone against the sky

She will never close her eyes
    And she does not let me sleep
    And her dreams in the bright day
    Make the suns evaporate
    And me laugh cry and laugh
    Speak when I have nothing to say
    Last edited by kanutta; 12th March 2007 at 06:24 PM.

A beatiful poem, Kanutta, thanks for posting it!
    Happy to see we're all together again

Sunday - Floral

I started the day in With Love to do some household chores. Notwithstanding the lovely notes on paper (pink pepper, quince, mandarin lower, wild rose, freesia, wild lily, cedar, sandalwood, blond amber) I had a hard time not washing it off. On my skin this is an uncompromisingly dry, dry, dry (and did I mention dry?) and peppery rose. I remember buying it during a flight back when it was released and, to be honest, didn’t wear it much thereafter. I will have to try it layered with Ambre Narguilé (quarry’s recipe!!) but if that combo fails, it definitely goes to the swap list L!
    So, perused my decant of L’Heure Bleue EdT in the afternoon! The ones with a classic Guerlain structure created by Jacques just seem to hate my skin. After the initial whiff of a sour note (I almost got used to that, sigh…), the powdery aspect took over the scene. At one point, I could smell my beloved heliotrope but it was muted, a mixture of bittersweet and sour to my nose. God knows if I haven’t tried, but this simply doesn’t work for me…

Today – Amber/Vanilla

The scent of the day was Angélique Noire from a generous sample. Is there anything like a green vanilla? Well, this must be it! It has a good lasting power: coming home after work, I still got whiffs off my scarf. The jury’s still out on this one.

I think I will be treating myself to a spritz of Métallica for the evening
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 12th March 2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typing errors....sigh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Yesterday I chose AA Foliflora but as it was cold and wet here I didn't have bees following me about like Elf did!

Today (still cold) I've been wearing Shalimar: EDP on one wrist and EDT on the other. I sprayed the EDT and dabbed the EDP so there is probably more of the EDT on but it has outlasted the EDP. The late drydown of EDT is delicious and amazingly long lasting but the EDP starts better on me.

Sunday - Chamade (Vintage)
    I had the divine honor and privilege to wear vintage Chamade, and it was an epiphany-type experience. How could anything so soft be so strong? How could anything so strong be so soft? It was like a cloud, a feather pillow. There is nothing like it on the market today. All of the notes are mellow and completely integrated, yet it produces wonderful sillage that lasts for hours.

The sum is much greater than the parts. Notes listed are: galbanum, hyacinth, bergamot, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, blackcurrent bud, benzoin, vetiver, sandalwood, and vanilla. Chamade smells like spring flowers and a spicy vanilla. It is poignant and insistent, like a lilac bush in full bloom--full of drooping clusters of blossoms that are so strong but so sweet and natural that a person can inhale them fully without being overcome. It is like a thicket of plum trees blossoming in the breeze, soft and sweet. It smells like neither of these, bur rather like hyacinth, one of my favorites.

I am not much of a floral wearer, but this is not a typical floral. Its softness lends a powdery character to it, but this is not dusty or irritating. I have never smelled the modern version. I understand that another dominant note has been added, and I do not know what it is. I, for one, think this formula needed no tampering, as it was perfect just as it was. If I ever smell the modern version, and it is like this vintage one, it shall be mine.

Monday - Samsara
    What a wonderful surprise. I love this. I tried it last summer for the first time and hastily scribbled something to the effect that the "terragon was revolting." What happened? I tried it on paper only. Next time, I tried a sample on my skin. It was magical on me--so magical that I went out and bought a 0.5 oz. bottle of pure parfum. Fascinating, cool vanilla and sandalwood with florals and spice. Overall, the fragrance affects me in the same manner as heliotrope, smooth and cool like vanilla ice cream. On my skin it becomes creamy, spicy, vanilla with a shifting melange of flowers--very feminine. Smooth, slick, sleek. Sinks in, takes hold, and spreads its fluid layer of seductiveness.

I did Sunday, but forget about today so today I am wearing Shalimar Light. Bergamot, Vanilla, Jasmine.
    This is not really a lighter version of Shalimar. It has a scent of it's own and does have some rather strong sillage. It starts off with a huge burst of lemon, but soon settles down into a vanilla Jasmine. It is a lovely scent, but now that I have Shalimar EDP, I don't believe I will buy anymore of this, plus I think it was a limited edition.

Earlier I wore Champs Elyssees. I have heard from some that the reason I may not like it is because I have the EDT and it has a tendency to smell sour to me. The notes I have are different than the ones another has listed.

Top: Rose Petals, Mimosa Leaves
    Middle: Mimosa Buddleia, Blackcurrent, Almond Blossoms
    Bottom: Almond Wood, Vanilla

Sunday I started with Champs Elysees, as London was sunny and almost warm! After a few hours however I had had quite enough of it; the drydown has never really convinced me, and so I changed into Mahora. This is a strange scent on me - if I sniff my skin I get a blast of mashed overripe bananas and slightly rotted flowers. However the whiffs that come off my skin at a distance are tropical perfection; just like stepping into the greenhouses at Kew, flowers and hot humid air. Lovely!

I went to a rock concert in the evening, so got the Terracotta out. A Genesis tribute band, lots of air drums and guitars and middle-aged prog rockers (yep, that's me!), and the spicy, smooth, warm scent of Terracotta rolling off my hot body in creamy carnation waves... I honestly think this is a very underrated Guerlain; if it is not the same scent as Metalys then it is a tragedy that this is a discontinued limited edition. A carnation-esque scent that stands side by side with Bellodgia and Malmaison, but quite different from either. Love it to bits.

I couldn't remember what theme today was meant to be, so tried Rue de la Paix, a wonderful present from Buffalo_Gals, which I wore to work. A really lovely rose, which has a soft 'other' note that reminds me of an old perfume called Ashes of Roses. To be honest it might just be age! A surprising sillage, and a drydown that has plenty of the now IFRA-restricted methyleugenol, giving it plenty of spicy bite, no sourness, no citrus and no amber - just how I like my roses! A hint of vanilla though; this is a Guerlain Rose!

This evening I am wearing Insolence mixed with a spritz of Meteorites to keep the berry note down a bit. Not a brilliant mixture, as the two violets are really quite different beasts. I am really coming to appreciate Insolence more and more - it has more than a hint of Apres L'Ondee in it's heritage. I still find the berry disconcerting, just as I find the quite different berry in Chamade disconcerting - obviously me and Guerlain's soft fruit are not soul mates! Insolence is a fragrance that I prefer to have others smell on me rather than smell myself if that makes any sense - I am quite comfortable with it, but I wish it was slightly different.

Hi, everyone --

Well, yesterday I had a small panic attack (and heard Riannon ripping her hair out all the way across the Atlantic), then made private notes on my floral Guerlain choices for Sunday:

Apres L'Ondee with Les Meteorites in the crook of one elbow.

Apres L'Ondee notes:
    Top: Aniseed, Hesperidic notes, Rose
    Middle: Violet, Hawthorn ,
    Base Notes: Iris root

Lots of Guerlainade at the front (sour and unpleasant on me, unfortunately), then mellowing quite quickly into a very nice, extremely light floral with some wet woody notes (the iris and hawthorn, maybe?). I get faint hints of jasmine from the Guerlainade, which then disappear entirely into a blend of single-note rose, violet, carnation, and a yellow-smelling flower - I was guessing daffodil. The aniseed doesn't come up on me until the drydown, then it adds just a hint of body to the fragrance, which I think is great because I am not a fan of heavy licorice.

Not sure I would wear this much -- It burns off my skin extremely quickly, and I prefer to really love my fragrances from the second I spray them on through all of their phases. But Apres L'Ondee was a lovely surprise to discover I *CAN* wear a "classic" Guerlain if I'm patient with it. I will probably need to get a proper decant of this.

Les Meteorites:

Guerlainade and violets, with a touch of iris and maybe benzoin on the dry-down. I didn't like this one initially... but I'm now re-thinking my opinion on further wearing.

The violet notes in Les Meteorites remind me of a solid violet perfume I first smelled on a trip to Portugal as a child -- the container was a lovely, small white pot painted with violets and my mother bought a silk scarf with a similar pattern on the trip.

To me this smells quaint and a touch old-fashioned at first, but then... springtime. Is it terrible of me to prefer Guerlains once I can't smell the Guerlainade anymore?

Guerlain choice for Monday:

Woke with a screaming headache, completely congested head and too little sleep. Put on Angelique Noire and felt better. This one seems to have some basics in common with Bois d'Armenie, though I can't quite pinpoint what other than the benzoin. Maybe that's enough. Angelique Noire is sweet, soft and (particularly for a Guerlain) uncomplicated. Like it fine, especially the part about not needing to wait half an hour before I really enjoy how I smell wearing it. But I don't feel the need to rush out and buy it.

It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
    I went to a rock concert in the evening, so got the Terracotta out. A Genesis tribute band, lots of air drums and guitars and middle-aged prog rockers
    LoL! How did you manage to smell that lovely Guerlain over the top of the Pot 'n Patchouli mix of the crowd? You must truly have been the only flower present at that "weed" gathering!

So I wasn't the only one going crazy yesterday, huh?

Anyway, yesterday (Sunday) I followed up Day #1's Habit Rouge EDP with Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours. I was flying all day (to Seattle), and so applied five shots of this superb scent beneath my clothes several hours before my flight. Lavande Velours is a really nice scent, once you get by the overly sharp lavender and violet initial blast. It is really sharp I'm always reminded, doing for lavender what Route du Vetiver does for vetiver. After an hour or little longer, though, the sharpness receded, and sandalwood and vanilla come to the rescue to soften and integrate the scent, after which it begins a slow, linear fade-out. The longevity is suprisingly long for one of the AA series.

Today I started off wearing Coriolan. I'm not coping with the increased humidity in the Pacific Northwest, apparently, for I'm achy and fighting a headache all day, and the initial notes in Coriolan when first applied this morning were very dry, with herbs and spices and only a hint of citrus. The oakmoss and patchouli are also very apparent, rendering a classic chypre scent. Unfortunately, as I alluded to, I wasn't feeling well enough to garner much comfort with this scent. Tonight the conference I'm attending has a social hour, dinner, and entertainment, so I have switched to Heritage EDT. Now this is making me feel better! Heritage is warmer, a little more sweet, and a much more comforting scent, given how I feel. I'll be curious to see if I get any comments on this, something I very rarely do.

In all, I'm having a blast wearing Guerlain this week, learning more about the experience of wearing these scents, while being a little more observant than normal, and knowing that many BN brothers and sisters are doing the same. Rock on!

Jeff

I chose Cuir Beluga today for Amber/Vanilla day of Guerlain Week, and no I didn't make a mistake and think it was leather day ... To me, there is so very little leather in Cuir Beluga that I don't even consider it to be a leather scent.

Here are the notes, according to BN directory:
    Leather, Mandarin, Everlasting Flower, Amber, Heliotrope, Vanille

To me, the main stars are the vanilla and amber with a nice dose of immortelle or everlasting flower. Immortelle is a floral note that I am becoming quite fond of. The CB I used today came from a small sample vial that I dabbed on, I wonder if I would feel any different if sprayed?

Cuir Beluga really reminds me of my L de Lolita Lempicka, which seems to share many of the notes, including the immortelle.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Today, tuesday, I am wearing Derby. I have a small decant of this which I've been saving for this occasion, and now I get a chance to experience it to its full. I will have expended the entire thing by the end of the day.

At the moment I am getting a lot of tobacco from it. It starts with hints of sweetness but that quickly fades, until now when I get labdanum incense and something else that I can't identify, but which seems darkly floral. Will have to look up the notes later.

Guerlain-week-with-a-hole-in-it is still throwing up surprises in terms of my Guerlain appreciation!

Sunday it was Apres L'Ondee and today I wore Samsara!

Tuesday: Chypre

Jicky extrait (vintage), EDP and EDT.

Jicky, created in 1889 by Aimé Guerlain and named after a former girlfriend of his, is regarded as the first modern perfume. Jicky was also the nickname for Jacques Guerlain.

According to Michael Edwards' "Perfume Legends", the current Jicky bottles dates from 1908, originally designed by Gabriel Guerlain and made like so many Guerlain bottles by Baccarat.
    "Jicky was made possible by the discovery of two major synthetic materials: coumarin and vanillin".

My eternal love affair The scent that is my companion for so many years already. Following my moodswings. Comforting and uplifting. And also: bottled sensuality.
    For me the best Guerlain ever made and definitely an unisex perfume.
    In fact the men were the first to embrace Jicky when it was released and it took quite some time before it was also appreciated by women.

Today men like Sean Connery and Mick Jagger seem to happily splash with their Bee Bottles.
    Every time I see Mick in concert I cannot help wondering "is he wearing Jicky right now?".
    Boy, does this give those golden oldies like 'Start me Up' and the 'Harlem Shuffle' a complete new dimension.

But for me this perfume belongs forever to Roberta Flack's song: "The first time ever I saw your face".
    For those who want to hear it, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8BQPMNK99c

Notes for Jicky: Guerlain site
    Top notes : lavender, rosemary, bergamot
    Middle notes : rose, fern harmony (aromatic notes, earthy forest note and pelargonium), tonka bean
    Base notes : woody notes, vanilla, opoponax

OzMoz:
    Top note : Lemon, Bergamot, Mandarin, Rosewood
    Middle note : Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose, Orris
    Base note : Vanilla, Civet, Leather, Vetiver

I will go through every strength of the scent today, from EDT to the extrait. The extrait is discontinued in the 60 ml. (2 oz.) size Baccarat bottle on the photo. Only smaller sizes are still available. Unless you go for a Bee bottle.
    And hoping someone of Guerlain is reading this: I will hate you forever for discontinuing the lovely bathline as well. A fragrance like this deserves it to be experienced in every aspect

In summer liberal splashes of EDT after showering are great. The scent is not very strong and will never be overpowering. But the very, very best is the 'close to the skin' extrait. Unequaled smooth and refined.

Her top note makes you think she is a shy maiden, dressed in gowns of lavender. But after some minutes you can see her face change in that of a woman in all her seductive glory, unreadable, filled with unfathomless emotion. A woman I fell in love with 'the first time ever I saw her face'
    Last edited by Riannon; 10th November 2007 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    Tuesday: Chypre

Jicky extrait (vintage), EDP and EDT.

Jicky, created in 1889 by Aimé Guerlain and named after a former girlfriend of his, is regarded as the first modern perfume. Jicky was also the nickname for Jacques Guerlain.

According to Michael Edwards' "Perfume Legends", the current Jicky bottles dates from 1908, originally designed by Gabriel Guerlain and made like so many Guerlain bottles by Baccarat.
    "Jicky was made possible by the discovery of two major synthetic materials: coumarin and vanillin".

My eternal love affair The scent that is my companion for so many years already. Following my moodswings. Comforting and uplifting. And also: bottled sensuality.
    For me the best Guerlain ever made and definitely an unisex perfume.
    In fact the men were the first to embrace Jicky when it was released and it took quite some time before it was also appreciated by women.

Today men like Sean Connery and Mick Jagger seem to happily splash with their Bee Bottles.
    Every time I see Mick in concert I cannot help wondering "is he wearing Jicky right now?".
    Boy, does this give those golden oldies like 'Start me Up' and the 'Harlem Shuffle' a complete new dimension.

But for me this perfume belongs forever to Roberta Flack's song: "The first time ever I saw your face".
    For those who want to hear it, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8BQPMNK99c

Notes for Jicky: Guerlain site
    Top notes : lavender, rosemary, bergamot
    Middle notes : rose, fern harmony (aromatic notes, earthy forest note and pelargonium), tonka bean
    Base notes : woody notes, vanilla, opoponax

OzMoz:
    Top note : Lemon, Bergamot, Mandarin, Rosewood
    Middle note : Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose, Orris
    Base note : Vanilla, Civet, Leather, Vetiver

I will go through every strength of the scent today, from EDT to the extrait. The extrait is discontinued in the 60 ml. (2 oz.) size Baccarat bottle on the photo. Only smaller sizes are still available. Unless you go for a Bee bottle.
    And hoping someone of Guerlain is reading this: I will hate you forever for discontinuing the lovely bathline as well. A fragrance like this deserves it to be experienced in every aspect

In summer liberal splashes of EDT after showering are great. The scent is not very strong and will never be overpowering. But the very, very best is the 'close to the skin' extrait. Unequaled smooth and refined.

Her top note makes you think she is a shy maiden, dressed in gowns of lavender. But after some minutes you can see her face change in that of a woman in all her seductive glory, unreadable, filled with unfathomless emotion. A woman I fell in love with 'the first time ever I saw her face'
    Wow that is such a great post! Jicky is also my absolute favourite, but for me it has to wait for thursday. I shall definitely come back and re-read this wonderful description then, however.
    Last edited by Eluard; 13th March 2007 at 06:22 AM.

Mitsouko was my first love. She was not my first perfume - that honour fell to Diorissimo - but whilst my flirtation with Diorissimo was like a quick snog behind the bike sheds with your school sweetheart, my affair with Mitsouko lasted many years.
    She saw me through university, through a recession, and then my first serious job. But then my love for her began to fade. I was seduced by an Angel, and thought she, and not Mitsouko, was The One. But Angel was promiscuous, and when she had a fling with my best friend, I told her it was over.
    I tried returning to Mitsouko, but she had changed, and though we tried rekindling our romance, it was never the same.
    I became promiscuous myself. I flirted with an Alien, danced with Angel's daughter, Rose, and fell in love with an Ambre Sultan. But though I have given up on the idea of commitment, will Mitsouko love me one more time? Today we shall see.

I began wearing Mitsouko in the mid-eighties. It was an EDT I think, and it was gorgeous. But during the early nineties it ran out and I replaced it with a parfum. I'm not sure if it was a change in forumla or strength, or a change in my own tastes, but I didn't enjoy my parfum as much as I had enjoyed my EDT as a young girl finding her feet as an adult.
    I still have the parfum. I tried the new Mitsouko on a tester strip in the shops and found it not as nice. Of course, I'm unsure how it will work on me. I'm always seduced by novelty, and love trying different perfumes, but I daresay I will need some time to test the new Mitsouko on my skin and see how it works.
    Today has started off well. Mitsouko is being sweet this morning; almost like old times. How we fare today determines whether I buy another bottle. My parfum is running very low. That, and whether I can stomach the new formulation, of course. Still, we shall see how it goes.

WOW!!!!! Great story of Jicky and I love the photos.

Today I knew I would wear Mitsouko. A mix of the edt as a base and then the parfum over pulse points.

I have also worn Mitsouko since the 80's, I always loved that warm sulty yet freshness to it. It wasn't until I joined perfume boards I realized so many have difficulty with Mitsouko, thought oh poor perfume lovers missing one of the greatest fragrances ever. I have never found a fragrance with a peach note like Mitsouko, it is just sublime, perfect total genius. Any other fragrance bath product with the peach note is plastic weird and should taken away and buried.

In the heaven of Perfumers Jacques is the major god those throne sits highest, you approach on your knees and chant Mitsouko.
    DONNA

Such lovely reviews from everybody here! Riannon, that's another great picture and very inspiring story. I will most likely wear Jicky tomorrow.

For today... it's L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme for me. This is one of the first Guerlain's I tried and enjoyed. The initial phase is quite heavy on the anise, then later, the spices and woods give you a warm and elegant drydown. Love the spicy quality. The following I have dedicated to this fragrance:

He walked in the room with that look on his face
    I knew from then on that I had to embrace
    His woods, his spices, his soft and warm smile
    I want this to last for more than a while
    His gentle and elegant moves made me think
    Should I really stay shivering on the brink?
    How rare to meet a man of such wisdom;
    His name was L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    Last edited by BrothaG; 13th March 2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG View Post
    Such lovely reviews from everybody here! Riannon, that's another great picture and very inspiring story. I will most likely wear Jicky tomorrow.

For today... it's L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme for me. This is one of the first Guerlain's I tried and enjoyed. The initial phase is quite heavy on the anise, then later, the spices and woods give you a warm and elegant drydown. Love the spicy quality. The following I have dedicated to this fragrance:

He walked in the room with that look on his face
    I knew from then on that I had to embrace
    His woods, his spices, his gentle warm smile
    I want this to last for more than a while
    His gentle and elegant moves made me think
    Should I really stay shivering on the brink?
    How rare to meet a man of such wisdom;
    His name was L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    YAY! My dear G is back again with his poetry. Oh, I have been waiting for this! Restoring my feelings again. Thank your, my brother-in-scents
    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    In the heaven of Perfumers Jacques is the major god those throne sits highest, you approach on your knees and chant Mitsouko.
    Beautiful words, Donna. I will be there as well and we will sing together for all the world to hear.
    Last edited by Riannon; 13th March 2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Today I'm wearing Mitsouko parfum.I must say I'm on of those that has had a difficult journey with Mitsouko.The first time I tried it,which was the edt,I got sick! I found it too musty and after a while too sweet.But one day I recieved a sample of the Mitsouko parfum in the mail from a lovely basenoter...I was shocked when I realized that I absolutely loved the scent!It was quite dry as well,butwhen the edt felt raw this was more like...dry woods and decaying leaves on the ground.I love autumn, and this scent makes me think of the woods in the autumn.It's very unusual and has an older era quality to it.Very romantic.I've heard people describe Mitsouko as spicy.On me however it's more woods and a touch of dry peach and roses.I have taken a huge risk and bought the edt on Perfumebay now,so hope me and the edt get along better this time

I'm impressed BrothaG...perfume IS poetry.

Chypre today...I'm not sure if L'Instant d'un Eté pour homme is a chypre; but that's what I'm borrowing from my husbands' cupboard today. A lot of citrus in the opening, but it settles very fast..too fast. But it is refreshing and light for summer. DH is very fond of light; transparent scents so this is right up his alley.
    Don't know what more to say of it...I like it, and can easily wear it too; but it is not that original imho.

Beautifull review and photo Riannon!

Today I'm wearing Chant d'Aromes. I love the burst of sparkling flowers, yet there is a warmth to this fragrance that is soothing. It becomes very smooth.

The notes according to Guerlain:

mandarin, bergamot, honeysuckle
    gardenia, jasmine, ylang-ylang
    sandalwood, earthy forest note, vanilla

Glad we're all back now -- and with such wonderful photos. Those bee bottles are amazing. And poetry too!

(Argghhhh. After Sunday's outage, I was thrilled to see us back up on Monday, only to discover that my laptop was stuck on numlock. While hunting for a solution online, my area lost internet access for the day/night. I'm expecting a plague of animatronic locusts any minute now.)

For a Sunday floral, I started off with Apres L'Ondee edt -- I was thinking that a modern perfumer might have interpreted after the rainshower literally, with notes of damp earth and ozone in with green florals, and how impressionistic this lovely elusive scent is by comparison. I get very little sense of the Guerlinade in it -- just soft violets and a hint of anise over a skin scent with just the slightest hint of saline. Unfortunately is has no staying power on me. Midday, I switched to Champs Elysees parfum, which couldn't be more different. The scent is heady, like plush silk velvet, and I have to be careful not too overspray. I'm finding the parfum creamier and less harsh than the edt.

Amber/vanilla Monday I wore L'Heure Bleue edp from a decant bought for this week. The first timesI tried it, I thought it was way too sweet for me. This was the first time I had given it a full days wearing without sampling other things. While the top notes still don't love me, I found a wonderful floral element to the drydown that I had missed on previous wearings.

For chypre Tuesday, I'll be wearing Rose Barbare from the "L'Art et la Matiere" series, Francis Kurdijian's reengineering of Mitsouko. It's a fresh, true rose with a subtle chypre drydown -- I don't get the honey Basenotes lists, or the fruit note others have mentioned. I wasn't overwhelmed with Rose Barbare my first couple of wearings, but it has grown on me steadily, becoming a favorite.

When I get home, I'll add a dab of Mitsouko extrait for comparison (decant arrived yesterday) and then giving it a fullday's wearing tomorrow. I had a tough time with Mitsouko edt, but the parfum seems to be another matter entirely.

Off to work now -- can't belive how much of this week is gone.
    Last edited by coumarin; 13th March 2007 at 11:13 AM.