Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by kanutta View Post
    I can hardly smell my Instant edp. now, it is not very powerfull, - so decided to apply Samsara again. Voluptuous is the right word Riannon.. I have a hard time finding the right adjectives in english, but volupté describes Samsara well.
    Beautiful photo again Eluard. Eluard...is it after the french poet?

My favorite poem of him is L'amoureuse; and why not put it here; parfume and poetry belong together: it will be my tribute to Samsara

L'amoureuse

Elle est debout sur mes paupières
    Et ses cheveux sont dans les miens,
    Elle a la forme de mes mains,
    Elle a la couleur de mes yeux,
    Elle s'engloutit dan mon ombre
    Comme une pierre sur le ciel.

Elle a toujours les yeux ouverts
    Et ne me laisse pas dormir.
    Ses rêves en pleine lumière
    Font s'évaporer les soleils,
    Me font rire, pleurer et rire,
    Parler sans avoir rien à dire

(tr. by Samuel Beckett)

She is standing on my lids
    And her hair is in my hair
    She has the colour of my eye
    She has the body of my hand
    In my shade she is engulfed
    As a stone against the sky

She will never close her eyes
    And she does not let me sleep
    And her dreams in the bright day
    Make the suns evaporate
    And me laugh cry and laugh
    Speak when I have nothing to say

Hi kanutta — yes, my screen name is after the French poet. I too like that poem L'amoureuse and the Becket translation is very good. The poem is for Gala, who then left him and married Dali. The problem with Eluard is that there are not a lot of good translations into English. (There are two recent books but in my view they are dreadful.)
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    WOW!!!!! Great story of Jicky and I love the photos.

Today I knew I would wear Mitsouko. A mix of the edt as a base and then the parfum over pulse points.

I have also worn Mitsouko since the 80's, I always loved that warm sulty yet freshness to it. It wasn't until I joined perfume boards I realized so many have difficulty with Mitsouko, thought oh poor perfume lovers missing one of the greatest fragrances ever. I have never found a fragrance with a peach note like Mitsouko, it is just sublime, perfect total genius. Any other fragrance bath product with the peach note is plastic weird and should taken away and buried.

In the heaven of Perfumers Jacques is the major god those throne sits highest, you approach on your knees and chant Mitsouko.
    I've been wearing Derby all day, trying to think what it reminds me of. Yes, there is a lot of tobacco/incense in there, but it has something else as well. Finally it has struck me while reading Donna's post: it is like a male version of Mitsouko. There is no peach in it of course, but what is underneath Mitsouko seems to be underneath Derby as well. Call me crazy, but at 10 in the evening, that is what I am getting!
    Last edited by Eluard; 13th March 2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme today. A lighter Oriental presence but one of very high quality. The Edp version is on my 'to obtain' list.

Oh Riannon, that is such a wonderful post!! :bounce: And BrothaG and Eluard and Coumarin and all you guys! What a great week this has turned out to be. So much generous sharing and - for a newie like me - so much information!!

I climbed into Mitsouko EDP after a long (well, five or six months - she has been in my stable forever) - my favoritest of "strange" perfumes.

Here's the scoop from the Guerlain site:

"Mitsouko is an homage to the heroine of 'La Bataille', the novel by Claude Farrère. It is the story of an impossible passion: Mitsouko, a beautiful Japanese woman and the wife of Admiral Togo, is secretly loved by a British officer. In 1905, when war breaks out between Russia and Japan, Mitsouko awaits with dignity the outcome of the battle, nobly overcoming her feelings.

The bottle is identical to that of L'Heure Bleue. It is said that the two bottles open and close the period between the beginning and the end of the war."

For me and on me, this Guerlain is so well composed that - past the first strong whiff of bergamot (which is so exotic and which I just love) - the peach and roses, underscored with woods and vetiver, blossom together in a crescendo of voluptuousness. There is "glamour" and a sort of reassuring safe-ness and yes! "nobility" in this classic. For me, anyway. Medium sillage and great staying power. I am so happy to be reunited with my long time companion!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

i, too, am dipping my toe into the pool of mitsouko. mitsouko for me requires baby steps. like many basenoters, i heard all the talk about mitsouko, so i promptly ordered a huge bottle, sprayed it all over and - GACK!
    rule no. 1 - always test!
    rule no. 2- just because everyone's talking about it, doesn't mean it's for you.
    rule no. 3 - well-composed, cerebral frags are not to be sprayed with abandon, without thinking...this isn't stella.

i returned my huge bottle and started again. i got a 2ml sample of the parfum, in a tiny guerlain box. the tiny little bottle is placed in the box like a precious jewel. i start with a tiny dab on one wrist. in honor of guerlain week, i am going to experience this, not wear it.

my random thoughts: at first - harsh, spicy, powdery, musty. old books. no peach. then oakmoss - the smell of the potted plant at work. something floral - rose? still no peach. something almost salty? now mellowing into and mingling with skin, warm oakmoss, with saltiness, wafting off skin. where is the peach?

this skin-scent, the warmth, the earthiness, is so beautiful. it makes me sad, actually. people say l'heure bleu makes them sad, but this is making me sad. it smells like - nostalgia, longing. i have always loved history, have always felt a longing to experience the things i read about, and mitsouko is inspiring the same kind of longing. this scent is hitting the same emotional nerve that gets hit when i travel - the world is so big, there is SO MUCH to experience, so little time, and all we can do is experience as much as possible. this is reminding me of standing in the middle of a street in pompeii, weeping...the city was destroyed, and yet here we are, so close to these people, but so incredibly far.

whoa. that was unexpected, the very powerful nostalgia feelings. sorry for the long post, but i decided to go on a bit of a journey this morning - a spirit journey. thank you basenotes, thank you mitsouko, thank you guerlain.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Vintage Mitsouko has taught me a big lesson.
    It is about perfume, but more importantly, it is about life--about attitude, change, and control.
    I have ranted loud and long about perfume reformulation, but I am done.
    No more hand-wringing. No more losing sleep over the Internet. No more bottle hoarding.
    I am stepping down from the pulpit, even as my favorite old-school Chypres are undergoing changes.
    There is no use lamenting events that cannot be halted.
    It is best to embrace the fragrances that we have, to find in them new love, or to move on.
    Surely, there is some component of the new formulation that is pleasing, or some note that can be pursued further into unknown territory, maybe revealing new treasure to be discovered.
    Weep not when the things that we know are gone, but seek forever the Holy Grail, the mystery, the unlocked secret that is fragrance.
    Who knows? If we open our minds and hearts, there may be great enjoyment ahead--something breathtaking in an entirely different way.
    Our old friends, changed but still admired, will join our new acquaintances, who have other virtues to offer.
    C'est la vie.

Dipping into my supply of vintage Parure today! For me Parure has a benign animalic quality...sort of a light Mitsouko and Jolie Madame mix. I should wear it more often

My Chypre day consists of 2 Guerlain gems, one is my old love, Mitsouko and the other is a new love Chant d’Arômes.

I will review my Chant d’Arômes since it is a newly acquired love. Chant d’Arômes was not an absolute blind buy as I have tested it on paper at the Guerlain counter in the department store in HK before I bought it online. On paper, it smells powdery, clean and it is a very pretty floral scent. Today, I un-corked my new EDT bottle and sprayed liberally (8 spritzes at least) before walking out the door. It has a pristine pretty feminine feel to it. Here is the notes from osMoz:
    Top notes : Mirabelle, Gardenia, Aldehydes
    Middle notes : Jasmine, Honeysuckle, Cloves, Ylang-Ylang
    Base notes : Siam Benzoin, Oliban, Vetiver, Heliotrope
    I walked into the office and my young colleague (she is only 22 y.o) could not stop praising the scent and asked me to get her a bottle. It has a nice sillage and it is perfect for the humid sticky climate in HK. The scent disappears in 4 hours but it has a perfectly rounded mossy dry down which I completely fell head over heels for.

Mitsouko is definately an older mature sister of Chant d’Arômes. It appeared to be a lot more complex and more womanly. I got my first bottle of Mitsouko when I was 20, I thought it was pretty amazing stuff at that time when most of my college friends were wearing New West and Lou Lou. I must agree with everyone that the new formulation is not as mossy and intense as it used to be. I found it a little leathery today (as Zibeline has described, it does has some reminiscence to Jolie Madame) but I like them both nevertheless.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Wish I could be in a room with all of you today. My, my, my. And the way Zibeline describes her vapors of Parure--well, honey, send me Mapquest instructions, and I'll be right over!

Draining the better part of a sample of Attrape-Coeur, which I remember someone describing as a creamy Mitsouko, and that description is what spoke to me. I'm a little overpowered by Mitsouko, so A-C suits me fine.

Top: Rose, jasmine, tuberose
    Heart: Peach
    Base: Amber, musk

I can really appreciate this as a true Guerlain and a true work of art. However, like many beautiful works of art, it just doesn't speak to me on the "gotta own it" level.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

So many lovely inspired posts, poetry and prose that reads like poetry. Thank you for the sheer pleasure, Guerlain and gang!

My SotD is lilybp's fault. I can't thank her enough for introducing me to it and many other originals/rares/vintages/hard to finds. Omnia preclara rara, and if it is sleepless nights- and disturbed days-beautiful, it is LOVE.

House In a blind test I would say it is an unknown Rosine, or Jean Couturier (Bonjour Coriandre!), or Paloma (How are you doing?), or Courreges, or some eccentric, new and very, very limited distribution company.
    -- Wrong! It is Guerlain. Jean-Paul.

Timeframe Late 70-s, early 80-s, or 2006-2007, see the reasons above.
    -- Incorrect again! Launched for St.Valentine's Day in 2000, and later re-released for the new Guerlain flagship store's opening in 2005.

Price Would cave in and pay about about 50 dollars for a 30 ml bottle (or, perhaps, about 80 dollars for 50 ml). It is expensive but very much worth it.
    -- No way! One can find it on eBay and through collectors only, and prices are three, five, seven times more than that. Exorbitant prices or not, I encourage every perfume (and especially chypre!) lover to seek for a sample/decant of it.

Notes Bergamot with minty undertones. Civet. Rose, jasmine, geranium, orange blossom. Patchouli. Animalic green note. Coriander? Roses are surreal, lush and big, light pink. Orris, violet root, peony, carnation. More civet, sweet lemon-y greens, cedar. O-a-k-m-o-s-s, whisper of amber.
    -- Technically, close. Right here in the Directory the notes shown are:
    Top: Lemon, bergamot, verbena;
    Heart: Jasmine, petigrain, neroli, myrtle;
    Base: patchouli.

Reviews Not many of them. Good reviews in the fragrant blogs, only two of them in the Directory. What is it? Guerlain's best-kept secret? Also, a lot of reviewers keep stressing its lemon aspect, which I do NOT find that pronounced in the sample of this Original scent, like, say in Hermes Eau des Merveilles or AA Lemon Fresca. It is a divine, full-bodied floral chypre with slightly dirty, musky, animalic base. Very aromatic and creating a tremolo -- hard to explain, but in music it means touching the same key many times, one after another, to create an impression of a sustained and never-ending note. Purplebird7, I hear it is calling your name, loud and clear.

Enjoying one and only Guerlain's love potion of Philtre D'Amour today.
    Last edited by Twolf; 13th March 2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Awful spelling!

The pictures on here are beautiful and I keep forgetting to comment on what a gorgeous table that is Eluard. Well, I'm wearing Mitsouko EDP and I didn't even know it existed until I started on this site and then I didn't like it for the longest time. I got my first bottle a few weeks ago and am glad I did which just goes to show you, you can't always say never. This is very spicy to me without having an overdose of cinannom. I love spice, but cannot even eat cinnamon for some odd reason.

Mitsouko Edt for me, too. It's not the perfume, unfortunately, and not the same, but I find it comforting to be back in my early twenties!!!! Shoot, I used to wear it before I was old enough to legally consume alcohol.

Since I'm traveling in Seattle, I've forgotten my preordained schedule! So today is supposed to be chypre day? If so, I indulged a day too early, for yesterday I wore Coriolan. Today I am wearing Aqua Allegoria Mentafolia. This is a wonderful, fresh, green minty scent! Note to self: I need to wear this more often, especially in the summer. Mentafolia is a soft, though fresh and green mint. This is not peppermint, which is my favorite of the mints, but that's ok. Mentafolia has the added advantage of lasting about the longest of the AAs; easily 6 hours on my skin. Have a great day everyone!

Jeff

Everybody's posts are a joy to read, even though I don't always share the love for the particular scent. Riannon, a wonderful post as always, and I just WANT to see a pic of your whole Guerlain collection at the end of the week
    I enjoyed the original Guet Apens, created by Mathilde Laurent in 1999, a great deal today. I know I am repeating myself, but it opens up with a note which is slightly sour to my nose: according to ComDiva, it must be the guerlainade-Guerlain’s signature accord (I can see the Riannon's eyes widen in horror at this statement ). But luckily for me, it gracefully segues into a small bouquet of tiny blooms, followed by a majestic iris and by light amber that lend it a delicately powdery note. The base enrobes you in a glorious gown of vanilla and milky sandalwood. Sigh. This scent is so beautiful it is slowly but definitely finding its place in this Guerlain-diffident girl’s heart.

I just sprayed on a tiny amount of Philtre d’Amour for the evening (scent twin to Twolf :wave: enjoy your new love). I received it as a gift from a would-be Valentine when it was released, bought myself a second bottle and have not worn it in a long time. It is a most enjoyable triumph of citrus fruit notes resting on a bed of soft green oakmoss and yes, it is slightly animalic. But my tastes have changed so much that I would not buy it again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I started the day with Mitsouko, of which I have recently acquired a small parfum mini. I was going to add a spritz of the edt, but was so charmed by the parfum that I wore it alone. Some days I love Mitsouko, other days I am not so enamoured with it, so I have always sort of understood both reactions to it. Today it was OK, but not great.

I changed to Philtre d'Amour after work, which is a scent that takes me back to my teens when I used to wear Eau Sauvage and Eau de Rochas. It has a certain something in common with those two - certainly some notes, but more a feeling. However, today, my skin was being awkward, and it more or less vanished after a couple of hours. I had an evening class, so I added a spray of Chant d'Aromes extrait before I went out. Now I am not Moondeva, and rarely actively combine scents, but this is a combination that I will have to explore again more thoroughly; it was very nice! The extrait, although lovely, does have a heavy dose of the vanilla/tonka Guerlinade thing, and the remnants of the Philtre d'Amour really lifted it. I was finally able to relax on a day that, for me, was not a day where I really was in the mood for chypres.

I'm out of kilter with the schedule again and today wore Mahora to brighten up another cold rainy day here. It is a lovely big creamy floral and I don't get the fruity notes some people mention. Applied cautiously it does not overpower and I enjoyed it today & will probably put some on to go to bed soon too.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

About 10 hours after applying a half vial of Attrape-Coeur I'm still smelling vanilla. The frag never developed much sillage at any point, but that vanilla has been hanging tough all afternoon. If I put my nose right to my skin, I could imagine some of the floral for a while. The base is very sweet, not what I think of as the Guerlain sort of vanilla, more like McCormick's cooking vanilla.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Everybody's posts are a joy to read, even though I don't always share the love for the particular scent.... I enjoyed the original Guet Apens, created by Mathilde Laurent in 1999, a great deal today. I know I am repeating myself, but it opens up with a note which is slightly sour to my nose: according to ComDiva, it must be the guerlainade-Guerlain’s signature accord (I can see the Riannon's eyes widen in horror at this statement ).
    **Picking up my poor sister-bear Riannon's wide-with-horror eyes from the floor and gently placing them back in her head** Yes, dear LiB, I fear the Guerlainade does not agree with all of us, although courtesy of this feasting week (and a stubborn insistence that I keep trying Guerlains because so many of you whose opinions I value deeply love them), I have found that in fact there ARE some Guerlains I can wear and love. I've also found that even some of the Guerlains that I feared were completely inaccessible become kind to me eventually, if I am patient.

Hurrah!

(Yes, I know I am probably going to hell for putting cheerleaders and "Guerlain" in the same post. But I'm American. )

I do have trouble with jasmine and tuberose in any sort of high concentration in my fragrances -- and have found that most of the "classic" Guerlains have that sour, crushed and brown white-flower petals note on me, at least at first. It has been consistent enough among the ones I've tried (and I have been told it is almost certainly due to the Guerlainade, or perhaps the Guerlainade-plus-SOMETHING that might be consistent among certain of the fragrances -- Shalimar, Mitsouku, L'Heure Bleu, Jicky, and to a lesser extent the florals Apres L'Ondee and Les Meteorites) -- My personal theory has been that I just have a peasant's skin chemistry (see the cheerleaders).

That being said, I have found that the newer Guerlains (especially Bois d'Armenie, which has completely enraptured me) don't have that problematic start. Even Samsara, (giving that a proper wearing and review later this week!), which is ROLLING in jasmine, nearly fell all over me in big, sloppy kisses it was so nice when I tested it.

What's up with that?

Oh. Right. Today's Guerlain. Sorry.

Today was Rose Barbare for me, another one of the new Guerlains. From the "L'Art et la Matiere" line, where different perfumers create a scent based around a "raw material." Notes: Ottoman rose, honey-chypre notes.

Now, I love rose notes in fragrances, but rose-dominated scents generally don't float my boat. Rose Barbare, however, is really lovely -- and despite not having that sour start, it still smells like a "true" Guerlain to me. The roses in Rose Barbare are lush bushes of wild roses, probably growing in rocky soil or even sand. And somehow the dark green/woody, elegant chypre base seems natural, even though I can't say how that could work on sand. Rose Barbare stays very close to the skin, and lasts for several hours but not longer.

Very nice, though I don't think I need to own it. Yet.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Well I think I'm a bit messed up too. Oh well. I am wearing Nahema today which I really love. It has that fabulous rose and peach note. It is long lasting and it makes me feel svelte (the second meaning below).

Dictionary:
    1. slender, esp. gracefully slender in figure; lithe.
    2. suave; blandly urbane.

Top note :Bergamot, Mandarin, Rose
    Middle note :Rose, Peach, Cyclamen, Lily
    Base note :Vanilla, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Benzoin

The vanilla and benzoin are very, very light in Nahema. So it comes off to me as more of a floral.

I have loved Nahema for years and am on my third bottle. Before online ordering was available I had to look for it at airports in Europe and bought the first two bottles in Warsaw, Poland. It is interesting to think that Nahema was at first a flop when it came out in 1979. Today it is seen by many as a modern fragrance that was well ahead of its time.

Krysia

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    ...The roses in Rose Barbare are lush bushes of wild roses, probably growing in rocky soil or even sand. And somehow the dark green/woody, elegant chypre base seems natural, even though I can't say how that could work on sand. Rose Barbare stays very close to the skin, and lasts for several hours but not longer.

Very nice, though I don't think I need to own it. Yet.
    Great description of Rose Barbare, my Tuesday chypre. Watch out for the "yet." I started out feeling that is was nice but not essential, then I got a decant, and it's been growing on me a little more every time I wear it. On cool days I find the rose predominates, but when it's warmer and more humid the chypre quality really comes to the fore.

Chandler Burr wrote an interesting bit on Rose Barbare's genesis as a reworking of Mitsouko, which I never would have guessed from smelling the two. Apparently it has the same C-14 molecule as Mitsouko, plus the oakmoss, labadnum and patchouli, with rose substituted for Mitsouko's jasmine.

http://www.chandlerburr.com/newsite/...meprevious.php

With that in mind, I'm transitioning from chypre to hesperidic Wednesday with Mitsouko parfum. I've never been able to warm up to Mitsouko edt, so I thought I should try the extrait in honor of Guerlain week. I'd hoped the parfum wouldn't be smothered by the yeasty hay note as the edt was, but it comes and goes. Enough hints of that tantalizingly spicy peachskin note waft up to keep me interested. I'll start fresh tomorrow and wear nothing but Mitsouko all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Vintage Mitsouko has taught me a big lesson.... There is no use lamenting events that cannot be halted.
    It is best to embrace the fragrances that we have, to find in them new love, or to move on. Surely, there is some component of the new formulation that is pleasing, or some note that can be pursued further into unknown territory, maybe revealing new treasure to be discovered.
    What a great thought, and a great attitude to bring to perfume loving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krysia View Post
    Well I think I'm a bit messed up too. Oh well. I am wearing Nahema today which I really love. It has that fabulous rose and peach note. It is long lasting and it makes me feel svelte ...
    Another Nahema lover! Well, you can't be too messed up if you're wearing Nahema I'm saving mine for the end of the week.
    I heard from Ms. Rousseau at Guerlain, so I thought I'd pass this along:

"As I have not all the information to answer your question, I have forwarded your message to our Public and Press Department in France which will contact you directly as soon as possible if they are interested."
    Last edited by coumarin; 14th March 2007 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

We are cool, aren't we? Ms.Rousseau is just doing her job, I hear that!

Being a total frag twin with Nutmeg -- finishing my day in Chant d'Aromes, wearing it to bed, thanks to Tinker for a sample and a piece of information on where to get it cheap! (Meantime, Tinker's other package arrived, but I am so loyal to Guerlain and will NOT wear/try anything from it. Well, I just sniffed, out of the vials. Does it count?) Anyway, Chant d'Aromes kept me puzzled at first application, and then.... Bam! Tulips, that's what it is, stems and leaves and all, waxy creaminess and yellow powder on your nose after dunking it inside the flowers. So many of them, some are still very green and some are turning the rainbows of petals inside out, ready to shed them off. Yellow, pink and red, and one of them is even white with maroon and purple streaks. And then a sun-kissed basket full of tulip bulbs, cool and vibrant.

Wicozani, totally agree with you about AA Mentafolia, one of my favorites for the dog days of summer, which is here 5 months long.

Well, it's Wednesday and for Hesp. Day I'm wearing the oft-maligned Cherry Blossom, the original, not one of the spinoffs. I found it hidden in a dark corner of a little European perfumery and bought it unsniffed. At first, I didn't care for it, couldn't smell it, and packed it up to send to my very charming 3-year-old niece, as I figured she couldn't annoy her mother with it since it smelled of nothing and came in a really pretty box. But then, during last summer's heat wave, I decided to give it another go. Lo and behold, I could smell it! It was lovely fresh lemon, gardenias, and tea! This was just perfect for a smotheringly hot day and I've worn it on such days ever since. It's extremely light and refreshing, but it does last a while and really clears ones head on a muggy afternoon. Now I have to find another one for my niece....

I did fancy the Cherry Blossom Fruity but not sure they sell it in the UK (not at any of the shops I've been to, anyway, and that includes Harvey Nicks and Selfridges). I do like fruities! But today I'm in AA Grosellina, which is a lovely, fresh, fruity fragrance (ooh alliteration!) - redcurrant if people were wondering. I've sprayed a bit on my clothes also so it'll last me the working day.

Wednesday: Hesperidic/Fruit

Once upon a time there was a sweet little virus looking for a warm and friendly home. And where could he be greeted more gently than by a woman veiled in lovely Guerlain scents. Yes, this little virus was a connaisseur. So, he made himself comfortable and the sound of sneezing began. Music to his ears

Oh, I am wearing Guerlain, don't you worry. Probably half a bottle of Pamplelune in a desperate attempt to smell something, even a faint whiff would have been nice. When you do something, you better do it well, so spraying half a bottle is not completely ridiculous. Such a pity that DH has a different opinion and left the house, half choking.
    Hah, let's wait till my little virus is looking for another friendly hotel. I just happen to know the perfect host

Sjeez, I really have a fever I think. This is becoming a remarkable post. Or it is the whisky. Pamplelune and Caol Isla. Vintage Caol Isla I think. Could not read the label quite well.
    So, a cloud of vintage whisky and not very vintage Guerlain. Rather dubious sort of layering.

::hiccup:: ::hiccup::......'scuse me.....

Ah yes: Pamplelune.
    ::stay awake woman::

It was one of the first five scents launched in the Aqua Allegoria series. Of those five only Herba Fresca and Pamplelune are still going strong.

Pamplelune was created in 1999 by Mathilde Laurent. The same Mathilde who was responsible for Guet-Apens and the 2003 version of Shalimar Light. (Yes, the Shalimar Light that was 'redone' by Jean-Paul Guerlain in 2006. According to Luca Turin he changed almost nothing. I think I would have strangled Jean-Paul if I were Mathilde )

Pamplelune is really one of my most loved scents, certainly for that 'rainy Monday feeling'. It never ceases to amaze me that this fragrance is capable to give me an instant boost of energy and happiness.

Happiness bottled? Somehow I think this should be the scent for Taolady. That bouncing trademark of hers is exactly the feeling Pamplelune evokes :bounce:

And then the notes taken from our Directory:

Top notes: Acidulous Grapefruit
    Middle notes: Flowers from Provence (eh, what kind of flowers?) and ....Grapefruit (not acidulous this time)
    Base notes: Delicious Grapefruit (nah, really??) , Patchouli and Vanilla.

This, dear BN members, is what I would call a 'Grapefruit' scent. Effervescent, moodlifting and never too sharp on me. Probably because of that tiny hint of soothing vanilla.
    Oh, I must smell wonderful today. Such a pity I can't enjoy the beauty myself

And I think I am now going to sleep again. More than enough information for one day.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I laughed out LOUD at your story, R!! Too funny. I'm really sorry to hear about your cold/fever though, that's SO not fair during Guerlain week!
    Get well very very soon, dear! The Pamplelune should work as a drug.

Today I'm going with Jicky parfum. There's simply no way I can surpass Riannon's lovely review of this scent, so I'll keep it short. I happen to like this a lot more in the perfume form than the EDT. Jicky has always been troublesome for me, there's a certain note that kind of puts me off. Might be the civet. The parfum, however, somehow seems a little richer and less 'sharp'. This should be a great companion on another sunny day!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Today, Wednesday, I have been wearing L’Instant pour Homme EDP and very much enjoying it. I would feel decidedly silly wearing A*Men — I feel I’m too old to really get away with frippery of that order — but L’Instant is a very wearable gourmand. There is the unmistakable quality of Guerlain underneath the gourmand notes and the whole effect is modern but civilized. Moreover the EDP has lasted very well all day — lasted in a way I expect a scent to wear — so that I feel no complulsion to step down to the EDT.

Trying to keep to the Guerlain-only rule of the week, this evening I washed hair in Coriolan shampoo and donned the EDT. I must say that even though I like the scent itself, for me it is nowhere near strong enough. This one desperately needed an EDP version. Coriolan has very little projection and lasts only very close to the skin. This is a great pity: Coriolan could have been a success for Guerlain if only they’d given it a boost. As it is you can get it absurdly cheaply ($17.00U.S.) but you will go through a bottle in no time at all!

Tomorrow is the day I’ve been looking forward to, for tomorrow is Jicky day, all day. It is the scent of a bacchanal, the scent of true desire requited and returned. LOVE that civet! Ah, Jicky…
    Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Once upon a time there was a sweet little virus looking for a warm and friendly home. And where could he be greeted more gently than by a woman veiled in lovely Guerlain scents. Yes, this little virus was a connaisseur. So, he made himself comfortable and the sound of sneezing began. Music to his ears
    Yes, one of that little virus's friends has been attacking me for the last two days, but I am trying to hold out against him. Guerlain week must not be further assailed, say I!

Also: I'm very sorry folks, I didn't realise that I had the responsibility to post early on each day. Tomorrow I will post early on my Jick experience!
    Last edited by Eluard; 14th March 2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

An absolute epiphany for me last night, which I can't tell whether is due to some episodic change in my chemistry (I too have the dreaded virus, but hope I'm not *really* sick), or perhaps maybe one of you made an offering to the perfume gods on my behalf (I'm imagining a sheet of Bois d'Armenie incense paper, some ground almonds and a jasmine flower in a beautiful crystal dish set aflame [very carefully!] on Eluard's most gorgeous table):

Last night before going to bed, I spritzed one spray of Mitsouku EDT on the back of my arm. Waited for the sourness. *It wasn't there.* I was, and am, stunned.

Instead, what I got was everything you Mitsouko lovers have been describing: The fresh-then-dry peach. The silk. The dry spices. Images of kimonos, old porcelain and honor.

I went to bed immensely grateful, and thinking that even if it never happens again, the fact that I have smelled Mitsouku on myself the way I have loved it on others is a WONDEFUL gift. I am wearing Mitsouku as my SoTD, something I thought I would never be able to do. It is smelling gorgeous again.

::sighs of pleasure::
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

(I too have the dreaded virus, but hope I'm not *really* sick), Last night before going to bed, I spritzed one spray of Mitsouku EDT on the back of my arm. Waited for the sourness. *It wasn't there.* I was, and am, stunned.

Instead, what I got was everything you Mitsouko lovers have been describing: The fresh-then-dry peach. The silk. The dry spices. Images of kimonos, old porcelain and honor.

I went to bed immensely grateful, and thinking that even if it never happens again, the fact that I have smelled Mitsouku on myself the way I have loved it on others is a WONDEFUL gift. I am wearing Mitsouku as my SoTD, something I thought I would never be able to do. It is smelling gorgeous again.

Ah, so happy for you! When a scent finally sings for you after a long time, that is indeed a wonderful experience. Let's pray it will last forever.

How curious: you, Eluard and I, all struggling with a virus. Others at well? Lawsuit against Guerlain? Compensation to be paid in Bee Bottles (largest size)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Jicky Edt for the day. Just so nice to wrap up in. Jicky reminds me of wearing a soft cashmere sweater on a cool day.

An absolute epiphany for me last night, which I can't tell whether is due to some episodic change in my chemistry (I too have the dreaded virus, but hope I'm not *really* sick), or perhaps maybe one of you made an offering to the perfume gods on my behalf (I'm imagining a sheet of Bois d'Armenie incense paper, some ground almonds and a jasmine flower in a beautiful crystal dish set aflame [very carefully!] on Eluard's most gorgeous table):

Last night before going to bed, I spritzed one spray of Mitsouku EDT on the back of my arm. Waited for the sourness. *It wasn't there.* I was, and am, stunned.

Wonderful post! That is what Guerlain week is all about! It strikes me that Mitsouko is one of the most temperametal and skin-sensitive fragrances in existence. I have tried it, the EDP, (once) and I got strong cinammon and aldehydes. No peach, no wood. Yes, it had a very oriental character, but it was also a rather "cool" fragrance. On others it can obviously be entirely different, and different from one season to the next.

And yes ComDiva — I did indeed light a small incense candle on the table for all of those participating in Guerlain week. I asked that everyone's senses be opened up to Blakean proportions: 'To see infinity in a grain of sand and eternity in an hour'.

Let me know if this votive offering continues to do its work!

Guarded hugs and unguarded sympathy for our sickies Riannon and Eluard and tears of joy for ComDiva for whom the earth has moved!!! :bounce: Very yin/yang - a bit of grief, a bit of happiness!! (BTW dear Dutch Dragon - thanks to you I have tried the Grapefruit and it is indeed on my Summer Wish List! )

For Hesperidic Wednesday I am into Purple Fantasy (thank you Moondeva! :wave which is just so Guerlain. Which means to me that it is classy and fully orchestrated from the get-go. Although the headnotes are listed as bergamot and greentea, with the center of orange and apricot and osmanthus based on sandalwood and cedar - the whole arrives at once on me. Exotic, yet fresh - mellowing and softening with every moment.

May have to sell the farm!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My Fairy GM, it is sad to hear that you are not well. I think the little virus have board on a plane and came to HK. 2 of my colleagues got the flu and now staying home under medication. I am lucky to be healthy and strong but I had to take up some of their workloads.

For the Hesperidic Wednesday, I have choosen Aqua Allegoria Tutti Kiwi by Guerlain. It is a refreshing fruitty little one which smells a bit like kiwi. It is fruity but not too sweet and not cloying like many of those female celebrity scents.
    Notes from Osmoz:
    Topnotes : Tangerine, Rhubarb, Frosted Lemon
    Middle notes : Kiwi, Geranium, Mock Orange
    Basenotes : Sandalwood, Vanilla, Woods

It is perfect for summer and double up as a room spray. It is very clean and crispy scent which doesn't have much staying power on my skin but I will continue to wear it since it has a soft woody drydown.

I decided to wear Lovely Cherry Blossom today. This really evokes the pink soft light petals of a cherry blossom. The green tea gives it a refreshing feeling at first which is great for spring time! It's a very pretty fragrance, but seems to disappear quickly, like a blossom blown away by the wind.

Notes:

bergamot and green tea
    fruit berries, lilac, and jasmine
    powdered base notes
    Last edited by MorganFay; 14th March 2007 at 02:48 PM.

Just stopping by to tell you all that I do participate in this Guerlain-week, but I'm in such poor health that I can't type my reviews anymore. Didn't forget you all, though!
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Guerlain Vetiver as my Hespederic today. I just love this scent, and wear it all year round; it is suitable for all seasons..maybe not su much in the deep of winter as an afterthought; but then I often layer it with something else.

I find it refreshing for summer; springlike in spring and warm and spicy enough for autumn. It is beautiful on its own; or as a base for other fragrance; it adds substance to florals that I easily tire of after a while.
    Last edited by kanutta; 14th March 2007 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    It is a divine, full-bodied floral chypre with slightly dirty, musky, animalic base. Very aromatic and creating a tremolo -- hard to explain, but in music it means touching the same key many times, one after another, to create an impression of a sustained and never-ending note. Purplebird7, I hear it is calling your name, loud and clear.

Enjoying one and only Guerlain's love potion of Philtre D'Amour today.
    Oh, my, yes.
    That sounds great.
    I need a Guerlain counter, pronto.

As for me, I am in the Aqua Allegoria Foliflora today. This is one of our lesser-known Guerlains, it seems. It is unlisted on the Basenotes Directory, and it was an "orphan" at the start of the week, so I will attempt to describe it completely.

AA Foliflora is a fresh apricot fragrance, like the fuzzy bright saffron colored fruit on the tree, slightly unripe--not the soft, dark, sweet, syrupy apricots in the can or a childish, imitation fruit candy aroma. The freesia makes it smell fresh, having the effect of "putting the fruit on the tree." And it is coupled with a lovely gardenia that conjures up the color of light green, it is so dewy. Here is a gardenia that anyone could love, avoiding the heavy, sweet aspects of this flower that overwhelm some people.

Apricot, freesia, gardenia - all favorite notes of mine. The compositon starts off sour, very tart and tangy, and moves slowly toward sweetness. It ends on an amber and sandalwood base, very pretty, delicate, and pleasing. I am saving the rest of this sample for summer to see how it fares in the 100 degree weather. I feel that this fragrance cannot show its full potential in cold, windy weather. Rather, it will be perfectly suited to the hot, still, humid days to come. I expect it will outperform most of the perfumes in my wardrobe (heavy and/or sweet) for this purpose and may very well prove itself to be FBW.

I have tried a few Aqua Allegorias now, and I think that this line is Guerlain's antidote to overly "serious" perfumery. The AA line allows Guerlain to play, to have fun, to experiment with light, natural-smelling ingredients--flowers, fruits, woods. They do not shout claims about being masterpieces or works of art, but they offer a person many opportunites to select favorite notes, showcased in pleasing ways. There is nothing sophisticated about AA Foliflora, nothing complex to decipher-- it is only an extremely wearable, likeable fragrance. Sometimes that is all one needs.

In order not to miss posting about this fabulous fragrance, last night I wore Mahora so that I may talk about it today. This is the first tuberose frangrance that I have loved. (The closest I have gotten to tuberose in my wardrobe is Estee Lauder Knowing, which is really a woody chypre, chock-full of patchouli.) I expected Mahora to follow the same path as most tuberose scents on me.

On application, it was sweet and fermented, almost rotten. You have to understand that fermented aromas are not off-putting to me. They are part of our natural world. They are like a balance, a little bit is quite attractive, too much tips the scale. Typical of tuberose, this waft of sweet fermentation helps me identify this note.

Mahora goes on with all the sweetness of tuberose--plus more--neroli and jasmine and ylang-ylang. These are big, very sweet florals, but well-blended. Most tuberose fragrances sit on top of my skin, screaming treble notes. They end up smelling like Concord Grape Wine. I expected this phenomenon to occur again, but I was surprised.

Just when I started to think, "It's too smuch. It won't work, it is like all the others," something amazing happened. Instantly it dropped down a notch--spread wide and smooth. A deep vanilla note sounded like a brass gong, pulling the treble notes down to bass. I couldn't believe it. A tuberose that worked, and worked beautifully.

What? It's discontinued? I'd better not start buying it unless I want to commence trolling the Internet for leftover stock. What a shame. I have a few drops left, and I can smell it from afar, it is so strong and sweet and, yes, addictive. Too bad, too bad. What did they replace this with? And why?
    Quote Originally Posted by lievje View Post
    Just stopping by to tell you all that I do participate in this Guerlain-week, but I'm in such poor health that I can't type my reviews anymore. Didn't forget you all, though!
    Oh, I am so sorry. I'm glad to hear that you are still reading us. We will think of you as we post.
    Here is an idea: Can you get someone to visit and type for you occasionally? You can dictate, and your friend can post for you. I'm sure someone wouldn't mind--it would only take a few minutes to do the typing, and he/she would have fun learning about fragrance at the same time.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 14th March 2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Stepping out on the limb today and weaing Mahora..some fruit in the opening, but really a tuberose and jasmine power hitter.

If this stays strong on me...and it is relentless on most days, I will switch to Eau des Fleurs de Cedrat for work...not feeling really AA today.

Basenotes Plus

In honor of Guerlain week, I'll try a sample of Insolence once more. It was a "scrubber" for me the first time I tried it.
    What a shame.
    However, it's the only Guerlain frag I have in this category.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Oh, honey, just retreat and withdraw if you must. There will be basenotes aplenty when you're back on your feet.

I was planning on wearing Shalimar Light today because I've been craving lemon and had arranged a swap on MUA. However, the swapper who approached me backed out. So I'm bidding on ebay for this inexpensive Guerlain to get my lemon fix at a later date.

My fallback: the most highly rated (on MUA) of all of Guerlain's limited-edition "Loves": With Love (2003)
    Pink Pepper, Quince, Mandarin Flower, Wild Rose, Freesia, Wild Lily, Cedar, Sandalwood, Powdery Notes, Blond Amber.

The quince is my excuse for putting this in the fruity category, but truly, this is a floral. I've read that some love WL for its pink pepper and rose combination, but its top notes aren't my favorite part. WL's base of powdery blond amber on my skin causes me to plant my nose on my forearm and just float away. Yes, I do like my amber, from the depths-of-hell deep sort all the way up to the cloud-like, so-called blond. And, in truth, I'd rather wear With Love layered with Ambre Narguile because then WL's notes seem to sparkle above the depths, like ripples touched by sunlight on a dark pond. (LiB, does it work for you?)

I must confess now that my perception of With Love is wildly skewed. My first bottle was a gift from my daughter on my 25th wedding anniversary. She had moved from Wisconsin to Florida, was working for Disney World, and had bought the number-engraved bottle from the EPCOT Guerlain boutique. This fragrance, along with our bathroom renovation, is what ignited my interest in fragrances. So you must understand the nostalgia factor is tremendous for me--it really is With Love.
    Last edited by Quarry; 14th March 2007 at 01:51 PM.

Oh sweety, I am so sorry for you
    When you want to, mail me your phonenumber and you can tell me what to write for you. But only when it is not to trying for you.
    We don't forget you either!

Get well soon.

OK went for Eau de Guerlain today. Usually I am not a citrus people and anything with neroli is a no no for me. But I tried Eau de Guerlain and enjoyed it, yes citrus but does have a hidden kick of the dark side. What can I say oakmoss and tonka bean in the base.
    DONNA

Well, here I am over here in Sunny Southern California and I have that dang virus too. How do you account for that? Riannon will you pass me some of that stuff you are drinking, sounds like it might do the job. This is a very nice thread, but I really can't smell anything today. So I will be back tomorrow. You people all get well. & hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae View Post
    Well, here I am over here in Sunny Southern California and I have that dang virus too. How do you account for that? Riannon will you pass me some of that stuff you are drinking, sounds like it might do the job. This is a very nice thread, but I really can't smell anything today. So I will be back tomorrow. You people all get well. & hugs.
    Dear Lord! You as well?? I had my suspicions but now I am sure: it must be Guerlains fault!!
    You'll see: on Friday Coumarin will be waving goodbye to a completely virus infected community. But: we will wear our scents!! Clogged noses or not

My scent of the day is Guerlain Purple Fantasy, the original in a purple bee bottle that I got in a swap with Marlen (PerfumeCritic) in 2005 and since introduced it to a few other Basenoters.

Of all places I have visited, it reminds me of Brugge, the charming town with most of its mid-ages flair still present, the town of walls and bridges and big old trees. Tired after the day of exploring it, I needed a place to stay for a night, and since there were no hotel reservations made in advance, I just stayed with distant relatives of distant friends who ran Bed and Breakfast, right near St.Anna's Quarters. The little lady, the hostess, plump and ridiculously serious, was showing me the room: a little space smelling of powder and old wood, the lazy August wind gently playing with the lavender colored lace curtains and bringing all delicious aromas from the outside, warm caramel, freshly grated coconut, blackberry pastry. "For guests we have tea, black or with jasmine, right here in the kitchen", she said. "Oh, and this is a real Degas' Danseuse", she continued pointing at a picture of a blue ballerina on the wall, "Will you take the room, Madamme?" As if I had a choice! "Yes, I will!", I said and stayed. Lemme tell you, I had the sweetest night dreams of my life, sleeping on a narrow bed with a big brown headboard and the toughest mattress imaginable.

Wink Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

For hesperedic wednesday I'm wearing Jicky edt.On me it doesn't seem to last all that long and disappears on my skin.The scent itself however is nice.It opens with a lemony note that slowly develops into lavender.I found this very comforting this morning.Was really tired and didn't really wanna get up:P After a while it's still lavender,but more blended with a dry note that must be the leather everybody are talking about.The drydown is a littlebit sweeter,but still what I would concider fresh.This is currently on my wishlist,but only wish it lasted on me...A nice new discovery,since I didn't even know I liked lavender!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    My scent of the day is Guerlain Purple Fantasy, the original in a purple bee bottle that I got in a swap with Marlen (PerfumeCritic) in 2005 and since introduced it to a few other Basenoters.

Of all places I have visited, it reminds me of Brugge, the charming town with most of its mid-ages flair still present, the town of walls and bridges and big old trees. Tired after the day of exploring it, I needed a place to stay for a night, and since there were no hotel reservations made in advance, I just stayed with distant relatives of distant friends who ran Bed and Breakfast, right near St.Anna's Quarters. The little lady, the hostess, plump and ridiculously serious, was showing me the room: a little space smelling of powder and old wood, the lazy August wind gently playing with the lavender colored lace curtains and bringing all delicious aromas from the outside, warm caramel, freshly grated coconut, blackberry pastry. "For guests we have tea, black or with jasmine, right here in the kitchen", she said. "Oh, and this is a real Degas' Danseuse", she continued pointing at a picture of a blue ballerina on the wall, "Will you take the room, Madamme?" As if I had a choice! "Yes, I will!", I said and stayed. Lemme tell you, I had the sweetest night dreams of my life, sleeping on a narrow bed with a big brown headboard and the toughest mattress imaginable.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for this great story!!! Every time I wear Purple Fantasy I will have this enchanting picture in my mind!! :bounce:

Oh sweeties, so many people not feeling well - sending out healing vibes to all of you
    On this Fruit/hesperidic Wednesday, it was Purple Fantasy for the fruity part, a Jean-Paul Guerlain creation originally released in 2000 as a Limited Edition and recently re-issued in the Les Parisiennes line. I do not dislike this fruity floral at all....it may not have that classic vibe some are religiously looking for in a Guerlain, but it is fun! The scent for a romantic perfume fairy . I may be biased by that purple, frilly cutie of a bottle but the Seville orange, osmanthus and jasmine notes translate as juicy plum to my nose.
    I shared Taolady's and Twolf's pleasure in wearing it today :wave:

For the hesperidic part, I changed and am wearing the little orphan nobody wanted to adopt...come to mommy, dear....Lemon Fresca. My nose is first led astray and I smell lily of the valley instead of lemon blossom . Then, enter the lemon, pulp and zest, so limpid and fresh it makes my tastebuds screech in anticipation, supported by light base of fig leaves and musk. Makes me want to smile and long for summer
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 14th March 2007 at 07:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    ...For the hesperidic part, I changed and am wearing the little orphan nobody wanted to adopt...come to mommy, dear....Lemon Fresca. My nose is first led astray and I smell lily of the valley instead of lemon blossom . Then, enter the lemon, pulp and zest, so limpid and fresh it makes my tastebuds screech in anticipation, supported by light base of fig leaves and musk. Makes me want to smile and long for summer
    Never mind her, little beauty, come to this Mommy on this side of the Atlantic who will love you like you've never been loved before.

Christina, Babe, You have made this sound so divine...must somehow find a sample. (I am not hinting - honest!) Everything I love - muguet and figs and musk. (Flees - sobbing - credit cards in hot pursuit. :bounce

Thumbs up Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Am wearing Gentiana AA, thanks to generous Shycat. I love it - candied fruit peel, maybe. It has lime and "limette" in it. What's limette? Key limes?
    They're little. And maybe something berryish in the background. Too bad this is discontinued, as it is yummy.

I wore Vol de Nuit today, all day - I have completely given up the idea of wearing all my Guerlains this week, it just isn't going to happen. Which is a shame, because some haven't seen the light of day for a very long time!

Not so long ago I bought this Vol de Nuit on ebay, a sealed bottle of extrait from the '50s or 60's as far as I can tell. What amazes me is the sheer quality of the ingredients. It starts with bergamot; a superb, unrectified bergamot (not allowed in this quantity in modern fragrances, I'm afraid) and rosewood - I mean the essential oil, not the combination of compounds that makes up a 'note'. Together, they actually smell a little like a pure China Earl Grey Tea. Some florals that remind me of daffodils, some warm woods, a tiny dash of something in the leather department, and that same vanilla that is in Shalimar. The Guerlainade provides a slightly dry, musty background - this makes me hesitate over whether or not this contains some of the same aldehydes that Chanel No 5 does, although they are quite different scents. I think yes, because of that distinctive unpleasant smell close up to my skin - this scent, like so many of its kind, is meant to be smelled by sillage, which is gorgeous. Although, come to think of it, there really are some strong similarities between this and No 5 to my nose, if you ignore the top notes and the different florals.

There is something a little bit 'cool' about Vol de Nuit, although it does drydown to a gorgeous, warm, snuggly skin scent, once the Guerlainade settles down and acts as a sort of fixative/skeleton rather than a smell in its own right. I really, really love Vol de Nuit!

I have smelled a modern Vol de Nuit edt at a fragrance counter, and it was dryer, more musty, and a little bit melancholic. It also gave me a headache; and this version that I have also threatens me with a headache on occasions, although it has never actually happened yet. I must try the the modern extrait...

Are we on fruit today?

Hope so, I've worn AA Orange Magnifica this afternoon. I love those orange peel topnotes and it dries down into a pleasant musky base - kind of nice but it doesn't set the heart beating too much.

Edit: perhaps damned this with (very) faint praise - the longevity is good and provides a smooth elegant finish, the citrus lingers quite well - very wearable for men.
    Last edited by michaeld39; 14th March 2007 at 10:32 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Thursday. Today is Jicky day and I couldn’t be happier. People have already posted the notes, so I won’t repeat that information. Wearing this I am always surprised by the fact that it was made in 1889 because it belies the image we have of repressed Victorian England. I have to remind myself that this was also the time of Henry James’s Portrait of a Lady and the Impressionist painters, when sexuality was already becoming part of the surface imagery of the time.

In some ways Jicky feels like one of the most modern of Guerlain scents. Or perhaps “timeless” would be a better word. I applied this after a shower (and I also lament the lack of a soap or shower gel) and am struck by the sweetness of the civet combined with a lemony brightness. There is nothing heavy about Jicky — it seems to me all about joy, rather than melancholy. But the civet is also animalic in a way that is hard to define: I think maybe because it is not obviously floral or woody or anything else that is easily identifiable. I immediately think that it’s a sexual scent, but it is hard to pin down why it should appear so. I’ll post again, at the end of the day, with further thoughts.

Here is an excerpt from a poem of Paul Celan that reminds me of the Jicky experience:

My eye moves down to the sex of my loved one:
    We look at each other,
    We exchange dark words,
    We love each other like poppy and recollection,
    We sleep like wine in the conches,
    Like the sea in the moon’s blood ray.

This experience of Jicky has made me want to try Mouchoir de Monsieur. I can’t imagine that it will actually be better than Jicky but I’m curious to know how they’ve tweaked it to be more masculine.

One question, well two actually, for those who have a lot of experience with Jicky: I have the EDT and the Parfum de Toilette. But the saleslady (in fact two, separately) told me that there is no EDP. This seems to me like it must be false: but is it? And if it is where does the PdT stand in strength between the EDT and the EDP? (I assume between, but where between.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    One question, well two actually, for those who have a lot of experience with Jicky: I have the EDT and the Parfum de Toilette. But the saleslady (in fact two, separately) told me that there is no EDP. This seems to me like it must be false: but is it? And if it is where does the PdT stand in strength between the EDT and the EDP? (I assume between, but where between.)
    I can't claim any expertise, but I have been told that Guerlain PDT is the same strength as EDP (I have vintage Nahema in PDT, and it seems comparable in strength and smoothness to the contemporary EDP). As far as Jicky goes, I have samples of both EDT and EDP, and there is a noticeable difference between them (perhaps my Jicky edp is actually pdt?)

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin View Post
    I can't claim any expertise, but I have been told that Guerlain PDT is the same strength as EDP (I have vintage Nahema in PDT, and it seems comparable in strength and smoothness to the contemporary EDP). As far as Jicky goes, I have samples of both EDT and EDP, and there is a noticeable difference between them (perhaps my Jicky edp is actually pdt?)
    Mmm thanks. That is making me feel that I wasn't ripped off after all.

ComDiva, I'm both inspired and jealous to hear of your Mitsouko epiphany -- I guess there is hope for me yet, just not today... I tried Mitsouko parfum for Hesperidic Wednesday, and still get occasional hints of magic, but it's still mostly just yeasty hay on me -- not bad, just not wonderful either. I've switched to Jicky to close out Wednesday and segue into animalic/woody Thursday in a cloud of lemon, lavender and civet. Eluard's description is perfect.

My condolences and best wishes to all of you poor things hit with colds and flu -- what a miserable way to close out Guerlain week -- and especially to lievje. I hope you are all feeling better very soon.

I just want to take a moment and thank you all for such wonderful posts in this topic. It's truly been a joy to read everyone's impressions of all these wonderful Guerlain fragrances.

The fragrance I wore today was Aqua Allegoria – Tutti Kiwi. The description from osMoz sounds like fruit salad in spray form, but never fear – it’s fruit salad done the Guerlain way: fruity, but no syrup.

Rhubarb and kiwi are listed among the notes, but they never came out to play on my skin (what a relief!). Citrus fruits tangerine, frosted lemon, and mock orange are the central ingredients. A dash of vanilla and a sprinkling of sandalwood complete this refreshing recipe.

Don’t let the name scare you away.
    Last edited by BlueIsis; 14th March 2007 at 11:01 PM.

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Gentiana for the fruit day of Guerlain Week. This has just the perfect mix of sparkling citrus and sweet vanilla. It was perfect for today, a pre-Spring day where the temperatures were warm and the sun shining.

Top Notes:Bergamot, Grapefruit, Limette, Lime
    Middle Notes: Bitter orange, Gentian, Pear,
    Base Notes: Vanilla, Musks
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I am being gentle on myself, knowing that Guerlain is a difficult house for me, after wearing Mitsouko on the first day, I HAD to wear Serge lutens and my Eugenie, and my Caron, it was like running home to familiar arms after being with a beguiling stranger all day....
    Today I finally allowed myself to apply Samsara after my shower, along with some Joy oil which has bergamot, ylang ylang, jasmin and rose...the ylang ylang in the Samsara is heightened by the understated essential oil, like a supporting role to a prima ballerina.
    I am having a beautiful experience with Samsara tonight, and enjoying everyone's eloquent postings about their experience.
    Eluard, that is a gorgeous poem, thanks for posting.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I'm wearing Chamade for woody or animalic day...while it wasn't listed the basenotes of amber, benzoin, sandalwood, and vetiver make it qualify IMO.

This is from a vintage bottle and is one of my very favorites

It's amazing to read all these enthusiastic reviews!! I'm glad so many people are having a good time this week.

Today I'm sharing Samsara with rtamara41, another Guerlain I really enjoy. This is quite a full bodied scent, but it manages to stay calm and not overwhelming. The initial opening is rather floral and powdery, then it gets more sensual and shows a clear vanilla note. Definitely a pleasure!

To everyone ill, get well very soon! All the best.
    Last edited by BrothaG; 15th March 2007 at 06:48 AM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Going for Winter Delice. Guerlain seem to discontinue this one so quickly, it was like blink and it had gone. Not a great fan of the AA range I admit only Lavande Velours and Winter Delice made me want to buy and wear them.

Eluard, yes Pdt seems to be an old fashion way of saying edp.

Monchoir de Monsieur I fell in love with on first sniff. It is not masculine as we would class the idea today. Very elegant, refined and subtle actually softer than Jicky.
    DONNA