Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

This was a tough one...Vol de Nuit or LHB? Both are favorites but which would be the ONE?

I think VdeN is the more sophisticated of the two and usual wear this one in the evenings or if the occasion is a bit "formal", for want of a better word. LHB is sad but optimistic and more forward looking, if you can call a perfume that. It is sensual but it a love of your life way.

I wear L'Heure Bleue as my favorite Guerlain

Default Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Agree with Shades and many of you that it is impossible to pick just one for being "outstanding" or "favorite", like a favorite child! Continue exploring Guerlains in vintage Chamade today.

Riannon, chapeau, madame, on your Guerlain collection! Such a great pic, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    I decided to participate despite the historic trouble I've had with wearing many Guerlains well because I *knew* I was missing something... And this glorious week demonstrated that I can wear and love some of the Guerlains that have historically been less than kind to me. What a tremendous gift!
    Ditto, ComDiva, my thoughts exactly . A certain DragonLady can witness that when the idea of a Guerlain week came up, I wasn't so excited...well, not at all would be a better term . But then, I disovered that there was "something" between myself and Guerlains released in 1999/2000, especially if discontinued, like Guet-Apens and Mιtallica.

There’s definitely a love story going on between me and Mιtallica. I had read about this Guerlain, but had never given it a second thought. The Guerlain week project started me off on a decant buying binge and Mιt was among the scents I chose. Sprayed it on…oh no, the usual sour note… But wait, sniff, mmmm, nice. And nicer. Awww goodness, this scent is lovely! Definitely a must-have. I am wearing the last sprays from my decant today. To my nose it is softly spicy, softly floral, lots of creamy vanilla and extremely feminine, delicious amber, classically structured but with a modern edge. Its seamless creaminess is like a second skin to me, so close to my essence and with just the slightest touch of elegant naughtiness…and it will always remind me of a dear, dear friend-in-scent. You know who you are.

Thank you coumarin for leading the way and thanks to all for your inspired posts, the poems, the memories, the fine writing, the pictures, the emotions you have called up during this week
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I used to wonder if those color analysis tests were accurate to determine what perfume a person likes. I keept coming up with Chypre, which is true. Also, I love Orientals. So, here comes a perfume with my name written all over it:
    Purple Fantasy
    Does a Purplebird love a Purple Fantasy? Yes. Absolutely.
    This fragrance sends me to the rafters.
    It was so good that I sniffed every molecule off my hand.
    Purple Fantasy opens with a green tea and jasmine note, not grassy or strong, but light and floral. It quickly turns into an apricot/osmanthus aroma (I describe both notes because they occur and support eachother.) The whole is buoyed by a perfect, elegant sandalwood base. Some sandalwoods (like my Etro Sandalo) have a caramel or coconut aroma, and I am wondering if that is what accounts for the shifting, warm, 3-dimensional sweetness.
    I can hardly describe how adddictive this is to me. It grows and blossoms as I wear it. It is deep and gorgeous but not heavy and obnoxious. It is warm and wonderful. It becomes me. This is the same feeling that I had when I first discovered the early musk perfumes that became skin scents when they were applied--soft and strong, melting into you.
    Wouldn't you know, this one is hard to find? Why do I have to fall for a perfume that I cannot buy? It was was created in limited edition in 2001 by Jean Paul Guerlain, and reissued in 2005 at the Champs Elysees store only. All I can locate is a tiny one-ounce bottle of EDT concentration. And the bottle is precious--purple glass. Oh, the agony. I find a HG perfume, and I cannot allow myself to fall in love with it. Why can't I attach myself to something common?
    Purple Fantasy is a dream come true. But, like most dreams, I wake up, and it has slipped away.

poetry, in liquid, visual and textual form, was the theme of the week. and what a lovely week it's been. Taolady thank you for sharing that amazing story. Rhiannon - that blue and white bottle is my first fragrance "memory." i'm not sure what my mother kept in there, but i remember that bottle.

today i'm scent twins with coconut :wave: and wearing vol de nuit parfum. love the oakmoss and the woods. i feel strong in this. like katharine hepburn!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Ah well, I am wearing Attrape-Coeur today as my favorite Guerlain. I called Bergdorf's in New York to get a bottle and I'm so glad that I did! It's a dark violet scent with the most gorgeous amber drydown of any scent that I own. It's seductive and soft, not aggressive at all. It has definitely captured my heart.

Notes:

Iris, Rose Vanilla, Violet, Sandalwood, Amber
    Last edited by MorganFay; 16th March 2007 at 07:34 PM.

Today I'm wearing L'heure Bleue parfum as my "favourite"(all though I have more than one..)The opening on me is quite interesting.It smells rather "waxy" as in the kind of waxy note from a candle.After a while a little bitterness comes through.I love this part of the scent's developmentNow,hours later I can detect roses and iris among the notes.It's rather sweet as well.An absolutely lovely scent.It makes me feel pretty and in a bit of a melancoly mood.

I have taken part of the Guerlain-week, but I have choosen not to write here, as most of my Guerlains are new to me. But I do want to say that I really have enjoyed reading what you other BN:s has written! It is a whole "book" of Guerlain-perfumes you others have posted here! Thank you so very much, all writers!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L΄Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I don't have a definite favourite Guerlain but last night I went to bed with Vol de Nuit on one wrist and L'Heure Bleue on the other and liked L'H B so much that I wore it today as well. When I first tried it it was a little too powdery for me but chemistry or circumstances seem to have made me like it more this time. Not quite the epiphany ComDiva has had with Mitsouko, which I am in awe of and mean to try the great Mitsouko again when I can as I have never quite "got" it either, but I'm still excited that I can enjoy L'H B so much.

I confess that I have found this week harder than the Lutens week despite a nonGuerlain sample-a-thon with Moondeva on Sunday. Tomorrow I will be in Ambre Sultan, I had no idea how much I would miss it!

Apres l'Ondee - probably my favourite Guerlain, (along with Shalimar of course)!

Dark grey, almost black cool stone, buried in rich, damp earth, the stillness and timelessness and solidity of a rock worn smooth and oval by running water... A hint of deep purple violets, a dash of anise, soft and creamy bitter almonds... This is the only only fragrance that affects me directly in my emotions. I don't mean in the sense of like or dislike, pleasure or displeasure, but it makes me -just for a moment, when I first smell it, I don't want to make this seem bigger or more dramatic than it is- feel incredibly emotionally sensitive. What an honour it is to experience this fragrance.

A curious thing has happened to me with Apres l'Ondee. It used to be that it simply did not last on me. I am lucky enough to have the extrait as well as the EDT, and even when I doused myself with both, it would only last for an hour or two. For this reason, as well as a desire to always have it on hand, it is one of the small handful of fragrances that I always carry in my handbag. However some sort of chemical change has happened, and now it lasts quite comfortably all day on me. It is even clearly discernible without needing to lift my arm to my nose, after 8 hours. I just don't know what this is all about, because it surely isn't possible to be anosmic to an entire scent - well, a complex one with many ingredients, at any rate - or is it? Or is it just the drydown that I can now smell, where previously I could not? I suspect it is the latter. Anyway, a mystery.

My Favorite Guerlain Day sees me wearing Vetiver. The decision was a difficult one, however, for I also appreciate both Habit Rouge and Heritage an awful lot. The magic in Vetiver begins with the melding of citrus and woods, and intensifies with the potent addition of tobacco later on. The vetiver is rather intense, too, and very long lasting, which scores additional bonus points. In my major vetiver showdown last year, Guerlain Vetiver reached the finals, only to be toppled by a darkhorse, Carlo Corinto Vetyver. This was out of 32 different vetiver creations. I have always greatly enjoyed Vetiver and would highly recommend that all vetiver lovers give this scent the requisite time to be fully appreciated. There's a reason why Vetiver has long been one of Guerlain's very highest commercial successes.

Jeff

P.S. For the record, I wore Coriolan on Monday.

It was a tough choice for me today ... I like, love, and adore so many of the Guerlains ... I knew a lot of you would pick the classics, so I went with one of the newer releases, L'Instant ... not always popular here on BN, but definately one of my favorites.

L'Instant is the sweetest blend of magnolia and honey. It's thick and rich, with a touch of powdery-ness that makes me think it's coming from the magnolia. I feel like I can almost touch those waxy, thick white petals.

I wore this to work today, and I got 4 separate compliments! One co-worker asked me to write the name down. It really worked for me today!

I had so much fun participating in Guerlain week, let's do it again sometime!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

My favorite Guerlain is something I do not own - but my mother did. It's L'Heure Bleue parfum. I still remember it; and i have the box in wich it was sent to my mother. From Jean Marc Camus in Orleans.... a long story. Coup de foudre...
    Oh...she was so in love..newly separated from my father..came to visit me in Orleans..and met this Jean Marc through me and my fiancι.
    This was a christmasgift from him to her. And I adored the smell of it...I will get this for my birthday

This has been a a glorious week; thank you all.

I'm wearing Vetiver; Samsara and L'Instant tonight. An interesting combo. I often do things like that; both in perfume and in cooking. And it is smells good I assure you. Go ahead and try!

Well I wore Jicky EDP this evening and I'm very glad I did. I'd almost reached the end of the road with my decant before I even started. Lavender very rarely works for me and civet is a new and rather distinctive note to my blunt nose.

On four or five previous wearings I have intensely disliked Jicky, but tonight ... for some reason it fell into place. The top notes are still very jarring, but if I don't go searching for the fragrance and slowly let it come to me (that sounds strange!) then the heart and base of Jicky are beguiling.

I've had such a scattergun approach to trying new scents in the last 6 months - it has been great to concentrate on one house for a while.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Good evening, all. I finished out the week in Nahema, a sentimental favorite as it was my first grown-up perfume, and its the one I've worn the longest, if not the most frequently. It's a lush rose oriental on the cusp of being a chypre, to heady for my everyday life, but the one I reached for when I wanted to feel dressed up.

Wearing my vintage parfum, Nahema seems sweeter and rounder than I remember it being years ago -- I wonder if the Guerlinade vanilla blossoms as it ages. The vertiver note is more pronounced in the PDT, and even more so in the contemporary EDP, which also seems to have less rose and more citrus in the topnotes.

I came to Basenotes at least in part to find a replacement for Nahema. As much as I love it, it's hard to find and spends vastly more time on my dresser than on my skin. The bottles started to go bad before I got even half way through. After spending some time with Rose Barbare, I've been thinking it might be worthy successor to Nahema -- the rose is stunning, it's less formal and therefore more wearable, and my taste these days run more toward chypres than orientals. (Then again, it's so impossible to find I'm not even sure how expensive it is.)

But if I've learned one thing in my few months with you all, it's that I don't to find a single signature scent when there are so many I could be enjoying. I don't need to choose one or the other (I just have to stop leaving the bottles on my dresser). Nahema stays.

--------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    ...So, let me end this week with the photo my Lady in Black asked for.
    WOW. I just want to set them all up on a mile-long windowsill and watch the sunlight filter through the juice and twinkle off the facets of those gorgeous bee bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    I am still flying high from my Mitsouku breakthrough: the juice actually gave up *fresh* peach notes again on drydown! I'm almost afraid to try it again. But I will...

Coumarin, take heart... Eluard very accurately described Mitsouku as "tempermental," and I fully expect her to be so with me. But I am living proof that successful wearing of Guerlains by those who have had trouble with the house can be done!!!!
    Thanks for the kind words, ComDiva -- I can't help thinking that this is one I really could love if only my nose and body chemistry would get on board. I have a couple of ml of the parfum tucked away, and I know I'll be coming back to it.

I'm glad I found Vol de Nuit this week, and after reading Eluard's and other's reviews, I'm going to have to start exploring the masculine Guerlains as well -- Heritage sounds like a good place to start, or maybe Vetiver...

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    One more day left, but here is where we stand as of yet:
    -- 64 Guerlain fragrances have been worn/tested (obscure Hegemonienne included );
    -- popularity leaders so far are Shalimar (people wore it 22 times since March 10), Mitsouko (16), Samsara (13) and Jicky (10);
    Thanks for doing the math, Twolf -- I bet that took some time, and I'm grateful to have the weekend off from spreadsheets. Sixty-four different Guerlains is even better than the pre-event count!
    -- how many times did all of us go back and change "Gueralin" into "Guerlain"?
    Or Gurelain/Geurlain to Guerlain in my case, not to mention that cat-relate typos Am I the only one whose cat regards the laptop as a personal space heater?
    Need to go to bed right now!
    Have a lovely night's sleep, and good night to the rest of you all, and good morning to Eluard -- I'll especially miss your lyrical posts at the start of my daily Basenotes read.
    Last edited by coumarin; 17th March 2007 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well to all you wonderful people, I thank you so much for the week and the posts — to Taolady and Coumarin particularly for the organisation, but for everyone who has contributed so much. This was a true coming together.

I realise that some of you are still in Friday so I thought I would continue too, in solidarity, as it were. Thus today I am back in Hιritage, back where I began:but with a much greater appreciation for the fragrance, through hearing so many wonderful accounts of other experiences of Guerlain fragrances.

The most fitting words to describe my journey come from T.S. Eliot's Little Gidding. Famous words, but worth repeating:

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Dependent

Habit Rougue Legere edt - from a sample

Now the time has come for me to really say goodbye to this Guerlain Week.

We have had the bad luck of been shoved out of Basenotes Paradise, and that is a thing almost no thread of this kind can survive.
    But....we did survive and it has become a thread to be proud of.

Thank you, gracious host Coumarin, threadstarter Eluard and.......oh well, it will become a gigantic list. Thank you all that kept this thread alive and kicking. I have read each and every post again and you all were just splendid. Sharing your thoughts, poetry, emotion....

I will miss this place I enjoyed so much. But I don't think it will be the last of 'Weeks'

We will be back!! :bounce:
    Last edited by Riannon; 17th March 2007 at 02:55 PM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Now the time has come for me to really say goodbye to this Guerlain Week.

We have had the bad luck of been shoved out of Basenotes Paradise, and that is a thing almost no thread of this kind can survive.
    But....we did survive and it has become a thread to be proud of.

Thank you, gracious host Coumarin, threadstarter Eluard and.......oh well, it will become a gigantic list. Thank you all that kept this thread alive and kicking. I have read each and every post again and you all were just splendid. Sharing your thoughts, poetry, emotion....

I will miss this place I enjoyed so much. But I don't think it will be the last of 'Weeks'

We will be back!! :bounce:
    'course we will, dearest! Secretive groups are already plotting away...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Do we get to develop our own secret handshake?
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Oh, when it comes to secretive plotting a feast, count me in!!

Ehmm, ComDiva, what about a 'secret scent' instead of a handshake?? When one of the planners and plotters will wear that scent, we will know there is going to be some action.

::The witches from Macbeth are gathering::

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

And instead of a 'Secret Handshake' it may be the 'Secret Sniff' can be employed by the sniffer as an identifier, to which the sniffee responds, as a confirming identifier, with a 'Secret Saying' such as 'Sillage Scent Me'..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    And instead of a 'Secret Handshake' it may be the 'Secret Sniff' can be employed by the sniffer as an identifier, to which the sniffee responds, as a confirming identifier, with a 'Secret Saying' such as 'Sillage Scent Me'..
    Um...this is getting very animal :bounce:...
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Sniffing another person should be prefaced by a qualifier (so one does not sniff uninvited). How about a salute? Raising knuckles on forehead and wrist in front of nostrils? If the other returns the salute, both have permission to sniff each other.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Sniffing another person should be prefaced by a qualifier (so one does not sniff uninvited). How about a salute? Raising knuckles on forehead and wrist in front of nostrils? If the other returns the salute, both have permission to sniff each other.
    Alright, first the secret salute, then the secret sniffing and then the paramedics with the straightjacket

But...but...I just love to sniff uninvited
    Ah well, next time: Seven Days of Secret Saluting and Sniffing....Sjanel?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Yes! This is perfect.
    Now I won't have to think of it as some spastic gesture I make all day.
    It is actually a secret identifier.
    We will know eachother by, *Sniff, sniff. Smile. Sniff, sniff. Smmiiiillleee."
    Who else but us smiles so much after sniffing?

Alright, first the secret salute, then the secret sniffing and then the paramedics with the straight jacket

But...but...I just love to sniff uninvited
    Ah well, next time: Seven Days of Secret Saluting and Sniffing....Sjanel?
    Seven Days of Secret Saluting and Sniffing....Sjanel? Okay...who's going to start it??!! :bounce:

("sniff sniff sniff...." "thwack!!" [wrestled to ground by paramedics] "Ooops! Thought that was the Secret Salute!")

(What means "Sjanel"?)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

So...snuffing secret sniffing suspends salutory satifsfactions? Such silly stuff surrounding said sillage snatching soon 'smells' somewhat...surprising?

'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Seven Days of Secret Saluting and Sniffing....Sjanel? Okay...who's going to start it??!! :bounce:

("sniff sniff sniff...." "thwack!!" [wrestled to ground by paramedics] "Ooops! Thought that was the Secret Salute!")

(What means "Sjanel"?)
    Well, the House had to start with a 'S' and since you pronounce 'Chanel' in Dutch like 'Sjanel' (don't try this at home!), it seemed the perfect solution.
    Not?

Gadzooks, is that Avon from Blake's 7??!!

(Actually that could be the Secret Password!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
    Gadzooks, is that Avon from Blake's 7??!!

(Actually that could be the Secret Password!)
    Yes, Paul Darrow — one of the finest overactors of his generation. Now please let's see Jenna, of B's7.

But you know Nutmeg, as soon as Rhiannon changes her avatar — which she does about every 3.2 hours — your post will make no sense at all. (Well, now it will after all. )

How about as the secret password: Avon's Calling. That will probably tickle Rhiannon's fancy. :bounce:
    Last edited by Eluard; 19th March 2007 at 10:24 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    Yes, Paul Darrow — one of the finest overactors of his generation. Now please let's see Jenna, of B's7.

But you know Nutmeg, as soon as Rhiannon changes her avatar — which she does about every 3.2 hours — your post will make no sense at all. (Well, now it will after all. )

How about as the secret password: Avon's Calling. That will probably tickle Rhiannon's fancy. :bounce:
    Nothing is safe on this board!! Yes my dears, another secret (I thought) passion is unveiled here. Eternal crush on Paul Darrow and Eluard dear, if Paul is overacting, he can get away with it. With that face.....

::I would never try to make him wear eyeliner and earrings though::

But agreed on secret password Avon's Calling

Oooh Blake's 7 fan here too. I grew up with it. I was devastated when they cancelled it! *sigh*
    I was always rather more partial to Travis and his leather pants (first Travis that is, though). Which is a bit naughty as I was only 10 when it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Oooh Blake's 7 fan here too. I grew up with it. I was devastated when they cancelled it! *sigh*
    I was always rather more partial to Travis and his leather pants (first Travis that is, though). Which is a bit naughty as I was only 10 when it started.
    :bounce: All four series are on Amazon!! Sigh....yes, there was a lot of leather in Blake's 7. Irresistable.
    And the age of 10 is just about right for starting heavy crushes

So with you on Travis as well. Somehow the 'bad' guys are much more attractive than the nice one's. Certainly when they are 'Knights in Black Leather'.

::we are terribly off-topic. Should start a new thread "what would Avon/Blake/Travis/Tarrant wear". Probably Passage d'Enfer ::

Yes, I vividly remember Avon's red leather ensemble as well. So much more fetching than Blake in his bodkin and peasant shirt...

Aaaaanyway...