Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs up Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Well, it is an honour to have been asked to start this thread, a celebration of Guerlain fragrances. The organization of this event by Taolady and Coumarin has been exemplary and has displayed precision resembling a cross between a military campaign and an assignation with a secret lover (if they are not indeed the same thing).

In Australia it is now almost one hour into the 10th of March and thus high time for the feasting to begin. I have decided to wear Héritage all day. It is my favourite of Guerlain’s men’s fragrances, a woody oriental fitting every occasion and season. I love the wood in the drydown and the rich patchouli, pepper, coriander and bay oil. This is a major work of art, completely unpretentious, but assured in its craftsmanship—one of the finest men’s fragrances ever created. I will wear this all day, but I thought I’d start by wearing a small amount when I go to bed, which is to say now. I like the way it colours my dreams. I’ll post with more reflections tomorrow morning when I spritz for the full day.

My Héritage is shown below. The box is a presentation wooden box given away (apparently) at the launch of Héritage. The painting on the top of the box shows the view from the early Guerlain shop, the sill of the window crowded with bottles of perfume. Outside men and women are walking and one can see a coach with horses. It resembles a scene from Renoir.

Last edited by Eluard; 10th March 2007 at 12:40 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Default Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

That is one fabulous box!
    I have a question, are we going with any Guerlain on any day of the G. week? Or is there a particular schedule that was decided on. If so, could it be reposted in this thread?
    Can't wait to start!!

Default Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Now that must be the most gorgeous piece of packaging ever. Congrats, Eluard!

I started already 1 March, I simply had to wear L'Heure Bleue then, so decided to stay with Guerlain since the theme week was approaching. L'HB was followed by Jicky, Mitsouko, Eau Impériale and Habit Rouge.

Après l’Ondée, Samsara, Shalimar and Vol de Nuit (+ Purple Fantasy which I always forget...) are still waiting for their turn.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Eluard, what fine collectibles you have! Beautiful! Thanks for posting the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    I have a question, are we going with any Guerlain on any day of the G. week? Or is there a particular schedule that was decided on.
    The mother thread is here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=193179

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    That is one fabulous box!
    I have a question, are we going with any Guerlain on any day of the G. week? Or is there a particular schedule that was decided on. If so, could it be reposted in this thread?
    Can't wait to start!!
    Elf and other members who don't remember exactly what was decided: go to the old thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=193179

You will find every scrap of information there including some poor 'orphaned' Guerlain scents waiting to be adopted

Eluard, thank you for this beautiful start of the thread and the wonderful pictures!!

::where's that bottle of vintage Jicky? Have to celebrate this:: :bounce:

UPDATE. Yes!! While I was writing, Mrs. Tigs was doing the same thing. Well, two answers for the same price!!
    Last edited by Riannon; 9th March 2007 at 01:25 PM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Héritage was a favorite of Princess Diana. I'm surprised more of you aren't wearing it. It works extremely well on women.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th March 2007 at 04:26 AM.

I thought it was easy to have the list of choices in this topic too.

1) ORIENTAL - Saturday
    Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    L'Instant / Homme
    Samsara
    Jardins de Bagatelle
    Winter Delice AA
    Bois d'Armenie
    Metallica/Metalys

2) FLORAL - Sunday
    Apres L'Ondee
    L'Heure Bleue
    Jardins de Bagatelle
    Les Meteorites
    Nahema
    Chamade
    Champs Elysees
    Insolence
    Aqua Allegorias Ylang & Vanille, Lavande et Velours, Neroli, Florifolia
    Rose Barbare
    Bois d'Armenie
    Guet-Apens/Attrape-Coeur
    Metallica/Metalys
    Guerlinade
    Gentiana (AA series)
    Plus que Jamais
    Purple Fantasy

3) AMBER/VANILLA - Monday
    Samsara
    L'Instant / Homme
    Insolence
    Habit Rouge?
    Aqua Allegorias Ylang & Vanille
    Guet-Apens/Attrape-Coeur
    Angélique Noire

4) CHYPRE - Tuesday
    Mitsouko
    Nahema
    Parure
    Vetiver
    Jicky
    Sous la Vent
    Rose Barbare
    Corolian
    L'Instant Homme
    Habit Rouge
    Bois d'Armenie
    Guet-Apens/Attrape-Coeur

5) HESPIREDIC/FRUIT -Wednesday
    Shalimar
    Mitsouko
    Jicky
    Vol De Nuit
    Parure
    Mahora
    Corolian
    Vetiver
    Eau de Guerlain
    Aqua Allegorias Pamplune, Winter Delices, Grosellina, Tutti Kiwi, Orange Magnifica, Lemon Fresca
    Aroma Allegoria: Aromaparfum Vitalisant
    Eau Hégémonienne
    Guet-Apens/Attrape-Coeur
    Purple Fantasy

6) ANIMALIC/LEATHER OR WOODY - Thursday
    Jicky
    Samsara
    Cuir Beluga
    Shalimar
    Derby
    Winter Delice AA
    Bois d'Armenie

7) YOUR FAVORITE GUERLAIN (and why) - Friday
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

WOW! That is some opening picture, just gorgeous, Eluard. Thank you.

What a fantastic presentation box!!!!!

I own Hertiage and yes it can be worn by women quite easily.
    DONNA

Thanks for posting that list here, lievje! Great thinking.

And indeed, Eluard, that is one fine box you got there. Very nice thread title too. Can't wait 'till it's March 10 here!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

This is wonderful... I am ready to dive into the beautifully scented pool of Guerlain.
    It is 3am, 10 March 2007 here in HK, CC is ready to sleep and I have just douced myself with my designated AM scent L'Heure Bleue EDT. Hmm, a bit powdery... I will have to wait and sniff myself after my beauty sleep

(Pawing the ground - snorting in anticipation - impatient dragon! :bounce What a WOW of a start dear poet-professor Eluard. Many many thanks for this well-considered and respectful introit!! Hope your Heritage is bringing you sweet dreams as we write...great interpretation! (Hope Mme.Rousseau @ Guerlain is aboard to appreciate!)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 9th March 2007 at 06:15 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I totally missed the first Guerlain thread...but here's what I'm planning:

1. Oriental-Saturday
    Shalimar

2. Floral-Sunday
    Apres L'Ondee

3. Amber/Vanilla-Monday
    L'Instant

4. Chypre-Tuesday
    Mitsouko (what else?)

5. Hespiridic/Fruit-Wednesday
    Orange Magnifica

6. Animalic/Leather/Wood
    Jicky

7. Favorite-Friday
    L'Heure Bleue!

Eluard, what a gorgeous piece of art ... simply enhancing the aesthetics of the scent experience.

Thanks to some friendly and generous basenoters, (you know who you are)
    I will be able to participate more fully in the Guerlain week. But I am not promising to stick it out every day. I haven't the resolve in me just now.

Some of my choices will be Samsara, Shalimar Light, Mahora, Vol de Nuit, and Vintage Mitsouko which I may try to compare side by side with Mitsouko edp

What a great launch for a sure to be fascinating thread.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

My Menu (possibles) For the Forthcoming Guerlain Gourmet Gala:

1) ORIENTAL - Saturday
    Shalimar
    Jicky
    L'Heure Bleue
    Vol de Nuit
    Samsara
    AA Winter Delice

2) FLORAL - Sunday
    Apres L'Ondee
    L'Heure Bleue
    Jardins de Bagatelle
    Les Meteorites
    Nahema
    Chamade
    Secret Intention
    Champs Elysees
    Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    Insolence
    Mahora
    AA Ylang & Vanille
    AA Florifolia
    AA Gentiana
    AA Herba Fresca
    AA Flora Nerolia
    Purple Fantasy

3) AMBER / VANILLA - Monday
    Samsara
    Habit Rouge
    Shalimar
    AA Ylang & Vanille
    Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    Guet-Apens / Attrape-Coeur

4) CHYPRE - Tuesday
    Mitsouko
    Parure
    Chant d'Aromes
    Vetiver
    Jicky
    Corolian
    Habit Rouge

5) HESPIREDIC / FRUIT -Wednesday
    Shalimar Eau Legere
    Mitsouko
    Precious Heart
    Parure
    Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat
    Philtre d'Amour
    Vetiver Eau Glacee
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale
    Eau de Coq
    AA Pamplune
    AA Gentiana
    AA Orange Magnifica
    AA Lemon Fresca
    Shalimar Eau Legere
    Guet-Apens / Attrape-Coeur
    Purple Fantasy

6) ANIMALIC / LEATHER OR WOODY - Thursday
    Jicky
    Samsara (parfum)
    Shalimar (Cologne)
    AA Winter Delice
    Vetiver
    Heritage
    Coriolan
    Habit Rouge
    Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat

7) YOUR FAVORITE GUERLAIN (and why) - Friday
    Shalimar
    AA Winter Delice
    Mitsouko
    Vol de Nuit
    Terracotta Voile D'Ete
    Last edited by moondeva; 10th March 2007 at 11:18 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Wow, what a kick off to a wonderful week! Eluard, your box is absolutely gorgeous - a real collectors piece! So nice of you to share with all the Guerlain fans.

Well, today I have chosen L'Instant.

First impressions - no, not me. It is settling down and now the honey is coming through (I think that is what I can smell, I have a novice nose LOL). So we will wait and see how it progresses through the day.

Have a great day everyone.... I will be checking in throughout the day to see how it is all going.

This is going to be a great week and timely as I am looking for a good quality signature perfume for myself.
    Auntdaisy2
    Azienta Tibetan Spaniels
    & Stoney Meadows Alpacas

YAY!! One minute past midnight :bounce:

The Charge of the Dutch brigade. Sadly not a "noble 600", but a lonely soldier, clutching banner and precious bottles. But I know there will be backup. And very soon if I am not mistaken (O BrothaG, Where Art Thou?)

I will go to bed in:

Metallica; a floral-oriental created by Jean-Paul Guerlain.

Top notes: Vanilla
    Middle notes: Ylang-Ylang, Orange Blossom, Carnation
    Base notes: Iris, Tonka Bean

(And I think Violet and Amber as well)

Metallica was lauched in 2000 in a 250 ml Bee bottle, with tiny patches of silver covering the bees. Together with the dark golden fluid the bottle is a real eyecatcher.
    However, the rockband Metallica was not all that amused, sued Guerlain and.... won
    Exit Guerlain's Metallica, enter the lemmings

In 2005 however it was reissued under the name Metalys. Guerlain says it is the same formula, however, I have read reviews claiming there is a slight difference. Maybe on the vanilla, maybe on the carnation.
    I think it is time to purchase a bottle of Metalys and test them side by side. After all, one must grab every opportunity for a new purchase

This used to be one of my 'neglected' scents, bought foremost for the bottle and of course because it was going to be discontinued. Never could resist that word. But I did not like carnations that much.

Only after I made several decants for a friend, I discovered that I really started to like Metallica, and that I actually loved carnations. It is a warm and comforting scent on me and I never got that 'Metallic' note (grateful for little favours). Never to old to learn and a warning to never throw away scents you don't love at first whiff. They may surprise you after some time.
    Hmm, now I think of it, that sounds a bit like talking about men :bounce:

Goodmorning or goodnight, whatever. As long as you are having fun with this thread and feel happy.
    Will report back later on

Update: the surrender of computer and camera!! Finally the real photo!!
    Last edited by Riannon; 10th November 2007 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Adding photo

It's finally March 10 in our cute little country, dear R!!

To start off with this promising week, I will be wearing the very treasured and appreciated 20 year-old
    Shalimar parfum.
    I will soon apply a drop before going to bed just to get in the right mood, and will fully wear it in the morning. Should be a great experience wearing this gem! It is almost too precious to even expose to air.

R, Metallica seems like an awesome choice too. Enjoy it with all your heart!

Happy Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week, everyone!!
    Last edited by BrothaG; 9th March 2007 at 10:14 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    In Australia it is now almost one hour into the 10th of March and thus high time for the feasting to begin. I have decided to wear Héritage all day. It is my favourite of Guerlain’s men’s fragrances, a woody oriental fitting every occasion and season...
    Oh Eluard, that post gave me chills. What a perfectly lovely, welcoming start to the week, and what perfect fragrance to choose! I'm so glad to be here with you all! And thanks to Elf for copying the week's schedule over (for those who choose to follow one).

It's still Friday here, barely dusk, and I've just put on Shalimar parfum. It's of modern vintage, but it brings back wonderful memories of the grande dame of my family, and the shield shaped bottle on her dressing table along with her pearls and kid gloves. Shalimar is the first perfume I remember recognizing.

Of all of the pre-war Guerlains, this one smells the most modern to my nose -- lush and elegant, the cool top notes of bergamot and iris counterbalanced by just enough vanilla and opopanax to leave a trace of sin about it. I used to think this perfume had too many associations to be one I could really call my own, but tonight as the light fades and and the scent warms on my skin, I think I could change my mind.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

It's only Friday in California, but as luck would have it, I put on some of my dwindling supply of Coriolan this morning. I can still smell it on my shirt at 4:30 in the afternoon!

They're amazing; I love them all: I have 20 Guerlains in my collection and 11 of them are supposedly for the girls--like that would ever stop me.

Happy Guerlain week!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

So good to see that our friends from Europe have now joined us: Rhiannon, BrothaG, and Moondeva — all participating in the wee hours of the morning. But Coconut: what were you doing up at 3.00 in the morning and applying delicious perfume, you wicked girl? I’m sure there’s a story there. Now we look forward to our American friends joining us and we will be complete.

I got up this morning after far too little sleep (yes, you know who are, the one who is responsible for that!) and showered with Héritage soap and applied a liberal amount of the EDT. Some people report the opposite experience but I find that a hot shower or bath make the scent unite with the body more — it seems to become part of one, rather than just sitting on top of the skin. Right now I have the warm spiced wood scent surrounding me as I type this outside in the sun.

Thank you all for those lovely appreciative remarks on the Guerlain box — it’s a beauty right enough. (I forgot to mention that, in addition, the bottle is autographed by Jean-Paul Guerlain: the autograph is actually etched into the glass.)

p.s. Moondeva — you could power this thread all by yourself. What a great collection!!
    Last edited by Eluard; 10th March 2007 at 01:51 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    My Menu (possibles) For the Forthcoming Guerlain Gourmet Gala...
    Jardins de Bagatelle...
    Secret Intention...
    Parure...
    Precious Heart...
    Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat ...
    Vetiver Eau Glacee...
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale...
    Eau de Coq...
    Wow! No pressure of course Moondeva, but of your incredible collection, these lovely fragrances are still on the Guerlain orphan list (up to now at least). Surely the empress of layering could manage a dab or two of these some time this week? For us?
    --------------------------------------
    Thank you all for those lovely appreciative remarks on the Guerlain box — it’s a beauty right enough.
    It is! I hope all of you with rare and vintage bottles and other Guerlania will keep sharing them with us. (As someone whose Guerlain collection is far from rare, I won't be intimidated in the least.)
    Last edited by coumarin; 10th March 2007 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So good to see that our friends from Europe have now joined us: Rhiannon, BrothaG, and Moondeva — all participating in the wee hours of the morning. But Coconut: what were you doing up at 3.00 in the morning and applying delicious perfume, you wicked girl? I’m sure there’s a story there. Now we look forward to our American friends joining us and we will be complete.
    I am just an night owl who prefer to be nicely scented all the time. Now I have the L'Heure Bleue scented my bed linen as well.

I have a few things to get done today, will log off now and dab on the Shalimar parfum. I promise to report my findings in full when I come back. Have a lovely day everyone!

Eight minutes before midnight here in NJ and just applied Samsara to my wrists before retiring for the night.

* Top Notes
    * Jasmine, Ylang Ylang ,

Middle Notes
    * Jasmine, Sandalwood, Narcissus ,

Base Notes
    * Tonka, Iris, Vanilla,

I am simply loving the ylang ylang in this. The jasmine is like a soft embrace. This is a real beauty, elegant and mysterious and lush. Grateful for the sample (thanks, T)

nite nite
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I've been wearing Habit Rouge since Thursday night. Mine is the original version, which I got on sale at the airport tax free in Tenerife in 2004. The new version was everywhere but there was one box of the old version left, and it was a steal!

I love the lemony opening and the vanilla drydown. Habit Rouge is one of the rare Jean-Paul Guerlain's creations that I like. (I'm "St. Jacques" devotee...)

When Shalimar Light was launched, Keith Richards's wife Patti Hansen and daughters Alexandra and Theodora were the faces for it, and the daughters said "It smells like dad." Habit Rouge is KR's signature scent.

For more thoughts on Guerlain, please see http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=183877

Scent twins with rtamara41, I chose Samsara as well. Applied delicately it's like a lovely warm, ivory-colored cashmere shawl, perfect for this cold and rainy day.

Hi everyone, sounds like you are all having a wonderful day surrounded by Guerlain.

I chose to wear L'Instant today, mostly because I have a shortage of Guerlain, but I plan to fix that shortly. I didn't like the first notes of it as you know from my previous post, but within an hour or even less, it produced this lovely aroma of a sweet floral. Not sure what is was, but it sure was nice. However, for me to buy this, it would have to be a lot more potent. I like others to smell my perfume too, and this I had to actually hold my wrist up to my nose before "I" could smell it. The bottle that a friend gave me was EDT, so maybe the EDP would be more potent and more to what I am looking for???? Anyone tried it?

Tomorrow is Jardins De Bagatelle and boy, am I looking forward to that!

Enjoy the rest of your day. Until tomorrow...
    Auntdaisy2
    Azienta Tibetan Spaniels
    & Stoney Meadows Alpacas

It is about 3 am where I live ( I am having a bout of insomnia) and I have just enough Guerlains to carry me through a week. I wish I had ordered some samples of ones I have not tried yet. Oh well like Scarlett said tomorrow is another day! I think I will wear Shalimar to bed!

Eluard - very beautiful box - jealous? moi? I'm going with Heritage too, but from a boring plain old bottle in a cardboard box.

[The postie has just called with my bottle of Lalique Lion, so I am feeling more cheery on the beautiful packaging front ].

Can't wait to wear Apres L'Ondee (from a decant from Silvia from the London lunch) tomorrow.

---------
    Edit - BTW Eluard that inlaid marble table is rather gorgeous too.
    _
    Last edited by michaeld39; 10th March 2007 at 09:31 AM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Four hours ago, I've started my first Guerlain-day with Aroma Allegoria Exaltant. It's an eau de parfum, 75 ml., from 2001.

Michael Edwards, Fragrances of the World 2007, calls this fragrance a woody oriental. It's warm and sensual. I know there's cinnamon and cedarwood in it, but the first thing I smelled was definitely patchouli. I get a lot of vanilla out of it too. It's a comforting fragrance, with good sillage and it lasts pretty long.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

I am starting the week with Shalimar, simply because I feel it is the most appropriate one to start with! I have decided to wear all the Guerlains that I own this week (with the possible exception of Apaisant which I didn't like and keep meaning to get rid of!), so I will have to wear more than one on some days.

I have a small sample of a Guerlain that is not on the list - a wonderful gift from Buffalo_Gals, which I have been saving for this week....

I'm scent twin with Rtmara today; wearing Samsara edp; an old loyal friend of mine. I was introduced to her early in my thirties (about 15 years ago) when a SA desribed her as " a naughty, a tad mischievous yet elegant woman".

Of course I couldn't resist that description; true or not; and Samsara has been a regular guest in my house ever after. I find her well behaved though; timeless and reliable.

I'm really looking forward to this week of Guerlains; and thank you to the initiators of this project!

Hi everybody

Just a few hours ago I've read about this Guerlain week. Well I've checked my wardrobe and came up with Mouchoir de Monsieur for today. A scent longtime not smelled. I still have to get accustomed. The civet note is quite strong in the beginning. I'm gonna see how it develops over the day.

Nice Guerlain week to everyone.
    opal

My menu for this week will be:

Oriental: Shalimar
    Floral: Champs Elysees
    Vanilla/Ambery: L'instant de Guerlain
    Chypre: Mitsouko
    Hesperedic/fruity:Vol de nuit
    Animalic/leathery/woody:Jicky
    Favourite: L'heure bleue.(to make it fit into the weekThis and Mitsouko areequally favourite)
    Today I'm wearing Shalimar edt.This is the first Guerlain I bought.I did it after a trip to South Africa back in 2000.I love this scent more and more.I used to find it a bit "big" and sharp,but not anymore.I love the lovely mix of the rtaher dry,earthy element of patcholi,but softened down with the other notes.On me Shalimar starts of a bit sharp and hesperedic.After a while it settles into a littlebit leathery.This develops into a soft,vanillic scent.Everytime I wear this I feel a bit selfconcious,but not in a bad way.I really should wear this more often!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 10th March 2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Welcome Miss Opal to Guerlain Week!! (I swiped the cheerleader from Tigs. Don't you love it??!!)

I believe, with Eluard, that it's good to "prepare the canvas" (i.e.warm moist skin to receive a 'fume) so I laundered self with rose shower gel, moistened with rose/gardenia body lotion and slathered extra jaojoba on arms and "embonpoint" prior to a generous spritz of Jardins de Bagatelle which I would have saved for Favorites Friday but I don't have any leather animals so I had to do some juggling.

In the eighties, this scent rotated with four other classics as my "signature of the moment". The Guerlain site deems it "Joyful. Luminous. Daring" and offers the tidbit of a story about the origin of its name and the design of the bottle. http://www.guerlain.com/index.asp?page=gbasp

On me it is so seamless that the opening note of Bergamot blends instantly into the luxuriant jasmine-gardenia-tuberose with a hint of neroli for which it is so famous - underneath, the tender thrum of woods. Great sillage and longevity. (AuntDaisy2 - sorry I can't be scent twins with you tomorrow!)

(Every so often a newie - like me - will post one of those "Which frag stops traffic" posts - this is one my answers!! )
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

YEOW!
    Elf and Kanutta, I slept in Samsara and will very likely return to it later in the day, but it is chilly here this morning and I reached for my Mitsouko, and I truly think that this bottle is inhabited by a perverse ghostie!
    This same bottle that I got off ebay months ago for the pretty bottle with the gendarme hat stopper and its Parisian label, this same one that made me think Mitsouko would never be anything more to me than a lovely bottle to look at and a putrid smell when I let it touch my skin (sniffing the stopper was safe), well, I am loving it!
    Deep dark smoldery peach is what Mitzi is giving me this morning.
    AHhhhhhh..................
    I have but perhaps 10 or 12 mls of this golden ghostie left, if that.

Seize the day!

I went for Vol de Nuit in parfum, little 8ml dab bottle with the silk tassle and G on it.

Its when you try the parfum in Vol that you realize that it is actually a woody oriental fragrance. The edt is soft powdery but the parfum is so much drier and the woods really come through.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg
    I have a small sample of a Guerlain that is not on the list - a wonderful gift from Buffalo_Gals, which I have been saving for this week....
    As the semi-official orphan wrangler, you're killing me -- can't wait to find out which one! What day will you wear it?

Starting the week with beautiful Vol de Nuit...may end the week with it too!

Happy Weekend

I had a tough time deciding which Guerlain for today, but finally reached for my L'heure Bleue, in parfum extrait form. Smooth.

Thank you Eluard, for sharing your pics of the beautiful box.

Enjoy your day!

Quote Originally Posted by auntdaisy2
    I chose to wear L'Instant today, mostly because I have a shortage of Guerlain, but I plan to fix that shortly. I didn't like the first notes of it as you know from my previous post, but within an hour or even less, it produced this lovely aroma of a sweet floral. Not sure what is was, but it sure was nice. The bottle that a friend gave me was EDT, so maybe the EDP would be more potent and more to what I am looking for???? Anyone tried it?
    Hi Aunt Daisy -- I'm in L'Instant edp this Oriental Saturday morning, and while I can't specifically compare it to the edt, I do find it has fairly good longevity on me (as long as I moisturize before applying it).

My first impression of L'Instant was very similar to yours -- too honeyed and unsophisticated -- but it is definitely growing on me. I think I over-applied the first couple of times, and consequently missed its the subtleties. I'm getting more of the ctrus in the topnotes, loving that fresh, delicate magnolia in the middle notes and finding more complexity in the drydown, also finding it very easy to wear. Now that I'm in the mood for lighter spring scents, L'Instant is really appealing.

Via OsMoz:
    Top note : mandarin, bergamot
    Middle note : magnolia, sambac jasmine, ylang-ylang, iris
    Base note : vanilla, benzoin, musk, amber
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline
    Starting the week with beautiful Vol de Nuit...may end the week with it too!
    Hi Zibeline -- tell us more about Vol de Nuit. I've never tried this one -- can't wait. What strength are you wearing? I've looked around for edp, and had trouble finding it. I'm hoping my VdN edt decant arrives in today's mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    ...Jardins de Bagatelle ...
    On me it is so seamless that the opening note of Bergamot blends instantly into the luxuriant jasmine-gardenia-tuberose with a hint of neroli for which it is so famous - underneath, the tender thrum of woods. Great sillage and longevity.
    Hi Taolady -- love the cheerleader! Do you get a lot of tuberose in JdB? I've been wondering about it -- sounds right up my alley otherwise, but I'm a bit skittish about tuberose.
    Last edited by coumarin; 10th March 2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Finally, the computer surrendered. Afraid to be bitten into shrapnel, no doubt.
    So at last here is a photo of the scent I have been wearing the whole night
    and the best part of the day.

Metallica

And now it is time to change for the upcoming evening.

L'Heure Bleue, perfectly reflecting my mood.

Created in 1912 by Jacques Guerlain.

Top notes: Neroli
    Middle notes: Carnation, Iris
    Base notes: Vanilla

Someone called it 'a safety blanket', and it certainly is. When you are feeling blue, seek the beauty of L'Heure Bleue.
    Elegant though sensual. Mysterious and comforting. She takes you in her arms and blows her sweet breath over your tired eyes.
    May she never leave me.
    Last edited by Riannon; 10th November 2007 at 05:22 AM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Bois d'Armenie for me.
    Pink pepper, iris, rose, coriander, benzoin, Indonesian patchouli, incense, precious woods, musk and balsams

This is how I like my scents: mellow, a touch sweet, and in a contralto key. The floral top notes hardly register to me. It's like an "instant basenotes" frag. Because I already have Ambre Narguile, Feminite du Bois and Black Cashmere, I don't think there's a place for Bd'A in my wardrobe. For one thing, those other scents have more throw, and Bd'A is, like other Guerlains, a skin scent, which is frustrating when you look at the price tag.

After many weeks/weekends of work, today is going to be more laid back. I could make a career out of the backed-up laundry. How chic--doing the wash in a top-notch Guerlain!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

What a great thread. So much enthusiasm going on. Like the start of a horse race, the horses clamoring behind the gates, the bell about to ring, the gates open and--FLASH! They're off!

I am happy to report that I am a Guerlaaaaiiiiin Girrrrrrrrrl. Thank you Twolf, for the greatest batch of samples I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. They were magnificent. I found out that I am, indeed, a Guerlain Girl. What a wonderful house.

I start my week-long journey with Shalimar. It was hard to keep my hands off this sample until now. It is the pure parfum.

I never used to understand why Shalimar was so popular. I used to go to the store and spritz myself with the tester, and five minutes later I could not smell anything. Besides, I thought, what is so special about vanilla? Vanilla that you cannot smell for more than a few minutes? Bah. Over-rated.

That was before the pure parfum graced my presence. It is out-of-this-world. Deep, deep vanilla, well-integrated lemon, and a bitter, woody note that saves it from falling into Cookie Land. (What is that note? Myrrh, cedar, leather? Please tell me.)

The warmth is palpable. The vanilla is cozy and oven-like--the epitome of comfort. Yet that cold, woody note stands like the pit of a fruit in the midst of the golden sweetness, like a stone in sunny water. The drydown is pure, rich, creamy, and delicious, sinking deep into the skin. Shalimar is opulent yet comfortable. In the mysterious Oriental family, it gives us something that is recognizable and accessible, universally likeable, Eastern and Western at the same time.

This fragrance deserves its popularity. Who could fail to love it? I cannot imagine!

Eluard, that presentation box is a beauty!

I had to rearrange my menu a little bit, due to the two Guerlain orphans I adopted and to the fact that l'Heure Bleue - my original choice for today - does not ring the oriental bell in my head.

Therefore, in unison at least with elf, rtamara and kanutta, I am wearing Samsara today, in its EdT incarnation.
    It is developed as a classical oriental composition and the woody aspect prevails over the flowery one. Lush and luxurious without being heavy or aggressive.
    Samsara opens up slightly fruity but soon, the top notes glide into the heart of the scent, where a velvety tune is played by an ylang-ylang, sandalwood and vanilla chamber ochestra. The base swings between vanillic sandalwood and sandalwoody vanilla accords.
    Very, very easy to wear, and I needed that to start my week with one of the most challenging - for me - perfume houses ever
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I wore Shalimar to bed last night and will be wearing Metallica today.

Metallica’s top note of vanilla is not too sweet and I love the heart notes of ylang-ylang, orange, and carnation. The powdery drydown is tempered by the spiciness of the carnation. Like most Guerlains, this has superb longevity. I find this scent comforting and uplifting.

I have a decant of Metallica and would love to be able to purchase and entire bottle, but alas, I discovered this beauty too late. One can hope for a re-issue.

The House of Guerlain was an uncharted territory for me until the last four years. All I knew in my previous life, was Shalimar modern EdT, a very popular fragrance easily obtained for 19.99 on sale, "ink pens" for Mr.Timberwolf and pungent sugared lemons to me. Was about to give up the whole idea thinking that Grrrrrrr-lain did not have my skin in mind while producing their fragrances -- very much to the effect of browsing through fashion magazines and liking a pair of shoes and then dismissing it on the account of not being practical or comfortable enough -- but rational thinking and, of all things, L'Instant pour Homme (!), changed my attitude. Now I am a convert and a missionary, spreading the word and scents (when possible!) and humbly admiring the years of history and the artistry behind each of them. Trying to buy/swap/sniff/view as many Guerlains as I can lay my paws on, the older the better, although in our Wardrobes one can list only the name. Have four versions of Mitsouko here (all different formulations!), four Shalimars, three Samsaras, two Vol de Nuits, you get the picture! Tinker, Fufu and lilybp introduced some of them to me, which I am eternally grateful for! Was so happy when Basenoters voted for Guerlain to be the Best House in 2006 awards and was jumping for joy at the idea of having a Guerlain week, too.

Everybody probably remembers that "Guerlain is for coquettes" old saying. If you are La Coquette with Etiquette, that is! There is a level of passion rarely seen these days, in older Guerlains. They do not strive to be pleasant or over-friendly, but I would not define them as being cold or haughty, either. There is certain amazing amusement in modern Aqua Allegorias too, and most of them would not challenge your or your loved ones' noses, but nevertheless they are quality products. In one word, characterizing the whole modus vivendi in and surrounded by Guerlain fragrances, I would say they are Kind. They are Respectful, if you wish, but this is two words already.

Wearing Samsara today, pleased to have so many fragrance twins around the world. Samsara is the fragrance to be sniffed and enjoyed, and mere listing the notes will not give the whole picture, I am afraid. Let's see: there is citrus, there is rose and jasmine, there is sandalwood and amber. The whole is rounder, smoother, softer than just the simple sum of them. There is also precise calculation and passion, there is wit and wisdom. All being ingredients and constituent parts of nothing else, but Coquettery in my book! Samsara will not magically transform you into something you were not to start with, but if you were...
    Last edited by Twolf; 12th March 2007 at 12:11 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

It was a toss-up between Guerlain Vetiver (new formulation) and Heritage but I decided to begin this event with Vetiver.

I have had it on for over 2 hours now. The Tobacco and Nutmeg seem to be dominant in the drydown.

What's not to like?

Also, I have this great vintage advertising poster of Habit Rouge from the late 1960's, sooo...probably Habit Rouge tomorrow? Inquiring minds want to know, I understand, but I love to let the suspense build to a...ummm...climax...before deciding.
    Last edited by kbe; 10th March 2007 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIsis

I have a decant of Metallica and would love to be able to purchase and entire bottle, but alas, I discovered this beauty too late. One can hope for a re-issue.
    I have worn Metallica last night and the best part of the day and.... don't worry, no need for despair
    As I said in my review, Guerlain has re-issued Guerlinade in 2005 under a new name: Metalys.
    It is only available at the Paris' boutique but you can call them to order it. As far as I know they ship to every place on the globe.

Good news for you but I suspect your creditcard is not amused at all
    Quote Originally Posted by kbe

Also, I have this great vintage advertising poster of Habit Rouge from the late 1960's, sooo...probably Habit Rouge tomorrow? Inquiring minds want to know, I understand, but I love to let the suspense build to a...ummm...climax...before deciding.
    Any change of a photo of that vintage advertising poster?
    I woud really love to see it and it would look marvellous on this thread!
    Last edited by Riannon; 10th March 2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    ...Hi Taolady -- love the cheerleader! Do you get a lot of tuberose in JdB? I've been wondering about it -- sounds right up my alley otherwise, but I'm a bit skittish about tuberose.
    Not "a lot" of tuberose at the outset - but in the drydown, definitive. I have the same affect on Joy. I love tuberose and I think it "nose" it!! :bounce:

This not to say the frag will develop the same way on you. Will be glad to send you a sample.

I have been out doing yard work before it gets too 'hot' and sweating profusely, bloody arms from the rose trimming, cuts from the Pampas Grass, mud all over me, my hair hanging in my eyes and full of weeds. But I am wearing Shalimar EDP. I have had the pure perfume before and it is wonderful, and I don't care for the EDT, but the EDP strikes a good balance for me. You people know that notes vary depending upon where you find them.

Top Notes: Lemon, Bergamot
    Middle: Jasmine, May Rose
    Bottom: Iris, Incense, Opoponax, Tonka Bean, Vanilla

To me, an oriental lover, this is sharp and spicy and does not smell dated even though it came out in 1925. I love it and Taolady, I did not know you didn't have any or I would have sent you some.

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    I have worn Metallica last night and the best part of the day and.... don't worry, no need for despair
    As I said in my review, Guerlain has re-issued Guerlinade in 2005 under a new name: Metalys.
    It is only available at the Paris' boutique but you can call them to order it. As far as I know they ship to every place on the globe.

I missed that information in your review, thank you!

Most of my adult life I've lived with the idea that a gal only needed one bottle of perfume in her wardrobe (mine was Shalimar). So during my last trip to Paris two years ago, the thought of making a pilgrimage to the Guerlain boutique never entered my mind.

I may have to give them a call.

Shalimar after sauna (body lotion + EdP), will wear it tomorrow, too.

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    Hi Taolady -- love the cheerleader!
    So do I
    http://community.basenotes.net/showp...90&postcount=1

L'Heure Bleue

Someone called it 'a safety blanket'
    _o/
    http://community.basenotes.net/showp...15&postcount=1
    http://community.basenotes.net/showp...8&postcount=89

I'm really enjoying reading all your posts! Thank you guys!

I've done it ladies; I've layered Shalimar with Tabac Blond and I LOVE IT! Shalimar is all cozy on my neck, nestled under my hair and on my chest while Tabac Blond caresses the inside of my arms, where I’ve nicely dabbed it all over my wrists and arms... Oh this is just heavenly! I'll post more on the responses I get from hubby and perhaps others.... Shalimar is one of hubby's faves so I'm very curious to see what he'll think of my layering experiment here .

For me however it does not get sexier then this!
    Tabac Blond and Shalimar, sitting in a tree… K-I-S-S-I-N-G!!!

Hugs to you all, you all smell sooo great!

Hubby decided to join us with Habit Rouge - I love Habit Rouge!!! Slightly citrus blossoming opening and then the scent of the old lipstick with something sweet and decidedly delicious, that can only be Guerlain!
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 10th March 2007 at 06:12 PM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Talking Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Had a bunch of schlepping around to do today, so I just put on my Jardins de Bagatelle. I had some when it first came out and didn't remember it as an oriental, but thanks to a kind BN donor I have enough to do JdB today!!!It is great. I remember buying it duty free on a trip to Asia in 1984 and putting some on before I swam at Waikiki right before we finished our trip. I kept smelling it as I swam and first thought it was the wonderful water!!!! The "oriental" fragrances do blend just perfectly with the floral notes - I may need another one of these. Yum and Yum.

Okay, folks my chosen Guerlain today was a huge (and successful, thank goodness!) risk for me: About a month ago, in anticipation of Guerlain week and in despair because the Guerlainade does not tend to agree with my skin chemistry , I caught hold of a different thread here on BN, then went ahead and tracked down (on the opposite US coast) and bought Bois d'Armenie ... blind.

For a week I was in agony... What was I thinking?!? HUGELY expensive!!! What if it ends up being another Mitsouko (gorgeous on others, lousy on me)?!?!? Then it showed up. With a couple of additional new samples to help get me through Guerlain week, too. Not being able to stand the wait, I spritzed immediately and felt the tension drain from my body. It was good. It was better than good, it was beautiful. Ten minutes in, still gorgeous. Okay, maybe the initial panic wasn't warranted...

So I'm starting our Guerlain week with BdA.

This is listed as a "sophisticated, woody oriental" on OzMoz, but I believe the combination of wood and patchouli also bump it into the "chypre" category, too. A multi-purpose fragrance! Hurrah! Somewhere I remember reading that parfumer Annick Menard used other ingredients in Bois d'Armenie to substitute for the now-outlawed oakmoss. Also, this scent was apparently based on the room-freshening incense paper that's readily available in Europe, but not so much in the US **sounds of rifling through vanity drawers** aha! I DO have a packet brought to me by clever traveling friends who know of my scent jones! Yes, I think BdA is a wonderfully successful version of this for the skin.

Top note : Frankincense, Iris, Pink Pepper

Middle note : Gaiac Wood, (Saintwood), Benzoin, Coriander

Base note : Patchouli, Copahu Balm, Musk

I love this fragrance. On my skin, Bois d'Armenie opens with dark woods on a sweet patchouli/musk base, with light whiffs of incense and spice. Elegant, gorgeous. Not for really hot weather, I think, but for autumn through the first spring flowerings, I think this fragrance is WONDERFUL. It is marketed as a men's scent, which I think is a mistake. To my nose, this is a unisex scent, and I highly recommend it to my fellow wood-note-loving women!

As it dries down, the benzoin (I'd not realized that benzoin was related to vanilla/tonka until recently) takes a bow. Mmmmmm... The woods fade, and the base mellows into the most comforting deepness. Still, while intense, it's not heavy.

Tonight I am performing at an event called "Balkan Music Night" (I sing in a Balkan music band, though I have no relationship to the Balkans other than adoring the music)... and somehow, wearing Bois d'Armenie, while not EXACTLY from the Balkans, seems fitting somehow.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Here is my plan:
    Every night I wear an Eau to bed (I do this most nights anyway, though the Extra Veille will be rested for a week)

Last night: Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat
    Tonight: Eau De Coq
    Tomorrow night: Imperiale.

This rotation to continue all week. Makes me feel like I am drifting off in an lemon/orange grove on a greek island .

Saturday: Attar by montale -OOPS forgot
    Sunday: Vintage Vetiver
    Monday: Habit Rouge edt (vintage formulation)
    Tuesday: L'Instant Homme EDP
    Wenesday: Heritage EDP and EDT (new formulation).
    Thursday: Corolian
    Friday: To be Confirmed
    YES!!!!!!!

After that back to my testing, I have lots lined up.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Grand Guerlain Gallivant Week — seven days of gorging on Glorious Guerlain

Any change of a photo of that vintage advertising poster?
    I woud really love to see it and it would look marvellous on this thread!

Below is the eBay site that has a pic of the vintage Guerlain Habit Rouge (1967) poster identical to the one I own. I am unable to scan/copy to my computer so if someone would be so kind as to do so the link with the picture is right here:

you must add the www.

to the beginning though, as it would be a hot-link if I did it and won't appear here as such:

cgi.ebay.com/1967-Habit-Rouge-by-Guerlain-Vintage-photo-Ad_W0QQitemZ180085893771QQcategoryZ21139QQrdZ1QQss PageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by kbe; 10th March 2007 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riannon
    L'Heure Bleue

Someone called it 'a safety blanket'
    _o/
    It was you?!

Oh, sheer genius, Mrs. Tigs! You are so right!!