Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: London

Default Re: LONDON - the ultimate good perfumery guide (map included)

Dariushka I was in Selfridges today looking at Chanel Bois des Iles, and only 200ml bottles (or 15ml parfum) of Les Exclusifs were available. I asked about smaller bottles too and the SA didn't say anything new was going to be coming out. It is just the boutiques and Selfridges that have Les Exclusifs.

Elizabeth

Default People of London....I need your help!

ok, I'm planning a weekend to London soon, and I would like your help to organise my route to the places I plan on visiting.....I'll be staying in Chelsea, so that will be my starting point....

the places on my list are as follows...

Christian Dior
    31 Sloane Street, Knightsbridge
    Les Senteurs
    71, Elisabeth Street Belgravia SW1W 9PJ London
    Ormonde Jayne
    Royal Arcade, 28 Old Bond Street
    Mayfair, London W1S 4SL

Harrods
    Selfridges
    Liberty
    Harvey Nichols

L'artisan parfumeur
    17 Cale Street
    Chelsea, London SW3 3QR
    Diptyque
    Marylebone shop:
    68 Marylebone High Street
    London
    Parfums de Nicolaï
    101 a Fulham Road London SW3 6RH
    (Chelsea – Brompton Cross)
    London, SW1X 9N
    Angela Flanders
    96 Columbia Road
    London E2 7QB

many thanks for your help and input....

Default Re: People of London....I need your help!

Here's one way of doing it, which will give you some idea of distance and where things are in relation to each other. Hopefully someone with more of a London sense can give you an idea of how much you can do in a day/how to split them out and where it makes sense to grab the tube.

The odd one out is Angela Flanders. Probably best to do that on the Saturday as from what I remember, getting out to the East End on a Sunday can be a bit more hit and miss.

Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

THis might help

http://www.basenotes.net/shopping/london.pdf

it's a bit out of date, but mostly okay

Check out Ormonde Jayne, The Avery & Les Sentuers

wow, thanks for all your help..........

Seeing as you will be in Knightsbridge, may I suggest you pop into the newish Amouage Boutique? I think its just off Sloane Street and around the corner from Harvey Nicks. Well worth a visit. Can't go wrong with the others you mentioned. When you're at Harrods, go to the top floor and visit the Roje Dove Haute Parfumerie. It's a wonderful place with assistants who truly love and appreciate perfume.

Default Re: Where to buy/try MPG Santal Noble in London?

I think Les Senteurs is stocking MPG again, but last time I looked, Santal Noble wasn't included on their list. I got a sample from First in Fragrance in Germany. I think MPG has had major distribution problems in recent years and there was a rumour that they had gone bust, although evidently not.

thanks for the heads up...........will definitely check those out......not long to wait now!!!

Default My weekend in London!

Saturday...Arrived in Victoria by coach, and walked to our apartment in Chelsea via Les Senteurs...very very helpful, and generous. No purchase at that time, and sadly I didn't have time or funds to return and make a purchase from them, which I actually feel pretty sad about! But it will be my first stop again on my next visit.....I have a couple earmarked for there. Also spotted the new Ormonde Jayne shop on the way, and my wife fell in love with Ta'If, so purchase No1. Dropped our bags off at the apartment and onto Harrods! omg, a different world...... had a chat with the Bond guy, tried Oud, Signature and Rose..hmm still not tempted, although the Oud and Rose came close. Had great fun with all of the assistants, no snotty attitudes just good friendly staff at the counters. Almost tempted by the Ford counter.....but then again, I'm always tempted to buy one of the Ford frags!
    Raymond on the Amouage counter was so passionnate about his work, had a lovely chat with him, and made purchase No2 for my wife...Homage....next time I have another attar marked for purchase!
    Roja Dove..wonderful experience, very passionate and knowledeable staff.....time and funds dictated that a return and purchase from there will have to wait.
    Harvey Nichols.... again great staff....stand outs were Francesc at the Lutens/Goutal/Etro counter....excellent fun!...The only 'mardy arse' of the day was the woman on the Kilian stand, her attitude pissed my wife off something bad, and I was forbidden to give her any money!!!! So no purchase from that counter! lol
    Sunday...Selfridges....didn't get on with that store at all, don't know why, but couldn't wait to get out...
    Liberty ..........LOVED IT!.....Le Labo was my 1st port of call, and the lovely Stephanie was a pleasure to deal with....Patchouli 24 and Oud 27 were my purchases from there.....my wife also found Borneo 1834, but I can't have that until Xmas
    Back to Harvey Nichols, and my purchase was Annick Goutal - Encens Flamboyant....
    Monday....Parfums de Nicolaï were supposed to open at 10...no show, so a wander down to Butler and Wilson, buy brooch, wander back... gone 10.30, no show, no purchase!!!! TUT TUT!!! We wandered around all the shops again, spoke to Raymond at Amouage in Harrods, and he mentioned that Opus IV was supposed to have been delivered for that day but had not arrived, due to the weather. But when I popped in later in the afternnoon it had arrived.......so a couple of shots from the new tester and I was sold ...........My final and unexpected purchase of the trip, as I was planning on a couple of buys from Les Sentuers on the way back to the station.....but as I said...next time!
    Did we have a great time?....YES!
    Can we wait to do it again?....NO!
    Roll on the New Year!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default London

Would anyone care to nominate the best shop or counter in London for male fragrances? I would be grateful for any advice
    BB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: London

The largest selection is to be found on the ground floor of Harrods - niche and designer. It is generally mayhem there though. (If you go, check out Roja Dove's Haute Parfumerie on level 5).

For a more civilised experience, pop over to Les Senteurs in Belgravia. Niche only, but friendly and knowledgable staff. They are happy to make up a few samples for you also (gratis).

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    The largest selection is to be found on the ground floor of Harrods - niche and designer. It is generally mayhem there though. (If you go, check out Roja Dove's Haute Parfumerie on level 5).

For a more civilised experience, pop over to Les Senteurs in Belgravia. Niche only, but friendly and knowledgable staff. They are happy to make up a few samples for you also (gratis).
    +1 I have been going there for years, and they are great!! Esp James who is the friendliest, most knowledgeable person on the subject of fragrances I have ever met!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Harrods hands down

Post Thanks / Like

Would a moderater please move this thread where it belongs?

And would the OP care to read / search that sub-forum ?

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/47-United-Kingdom

Somewhere on Basenotes is a fantastic map of excellent perfumiers in London.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for this
    BB

Post Thanks / Like

My visit to London didn't go too well - thought I'd get something from the P de Nic shop, there was a sign saying ' Gone to Post Office back in 5 mins'. Wandered aimlessly for half an hour and on return the sign was still there. I walked up to Cale St to look in L'Artisan - it still said 'L'Artisan Parfumeur' above the door but the shop was full of curtains! I presume they've shipped out now there's a shop in Covent Garden.
    So, I returned to P de N - still at PO! ( and this was as well as their normal lunch time close ).
    Oh well, at least Harrods was open.....

lol....had to laugh, that happened to my wife and I...........went there one morning, waited 1/2 hour for them to open, went to Cale St to look in L'Artisan ( but the shop was full of curtains!), went to Butler and Wilson, came back, still not open...pretty crap really, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A sad story about shopping at LES SENTEURS (London)

Firstly, about Les Senteurs. Couple years ago I've been there and experienced a very pleasant customer service from James Carven. It was wonderful to talk to him. It was a pleasure to buy perfumes there, because they were generous with samples..

Now about my mother's today's sad story and trip to Les Senteurs.
    Two women were working as SA (one younger and one older). My mother have bought 100 ml. Frederic Malle Portrait of a lady (180£).
    When she went out of the shop, she looked in the Les Senteurs bag and there was a bottle without packaging. A bottle from the fridge without original FM box (it was not an accident or oversight that SA haven't put a bottle in an original packaging). My mother was a bit shocked and confused and phoned me asking if FM does not make boxes for bottles any more. I told her that any FM bottle must be packed in an original FM box.

She returned to the shop, and said that it is a present and she wanted it to be packed in an original FM box. After saying that, SA packed everything properly.

While my mother was waiting for packing Portrait of a lady, other customer was in the shop who wanted to buy some body care products. SA was ready to take money (full price) from this customer while the customer, by accident, saw that these body care products were discounted..
    Last edited by DreamerII; 2nd July 2011 at 02:04 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Default Re: A sad story about shopping at LES SENTEURS (London)

Accidents happen, people are busy blah blah blah. Your story sounds a little like episode 19023009849018409 of a Soap Opera (pun intended!) . Les Scenteurs is a great shop. Here is why. I order a lot of samples with them. One time (inter alia) I've ordered Vetiver Extraordinaire - they did not have it, sent me Vetiver Dance instead with apologies (they did not have VE in stock but would send as soon as). 3 days later I recieved a Frederic Malle sample (not a vile of LS own making) of VE. Every time I order something from their online store I get great customer service via email.
    Summa sumarum - they have f*cking great customer service.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude, please, no excuses. Are those two SAs trainees or something? Did they even apologize to OP's mom?

Post Thanks / Like

Inexcusable service, especially for a store that sells such luxury products.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a similar experience to Komak. I ordered a sample of Muscs Koublai Khan within a larger order of circa ten samples. When they arrived a note was included stating that MKK was not in stock so they had instead included a complimentary official Malle 3ml atomizer of Musc Ravageur to compensate for this. They also stated that as soon as MKK was back in stock they would send my sample out free of charge. As it turned out I received an e-mail from them last week stating that MKK has been officially removed from the export list and they can therefore no longer source it but I could choose any other sample from their site as a substitute.

Overall I'm very impressed with this level of service.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Dude, please, no excuses. Are those two SAs trainees or something? Did they even apologize to OP's mom?
    Diamond, I agree that the woman received poor service. When you buy luxe perfumes, you deserve to receive a NEW bottle of scent packed in an original box for that price. Were they trying to get rid of a tester?

As for the customer being charged full price for items that are one sale? That's just extremely poor customer service on the part of the SAs. The SAs SHOULD have known about the marked down items in the store. Are they that lazy? I would show the company this thread. When a company deals in high-end perfumes, their SAs should be the best in product knowledge. We are not asking them to remember the inventory of an entire grocery store. The manager/owners should have a list at the till/register of all items on sale in the store.

My family went into a restaurant and were handed menus when we were seated. After the entire family ordered, we noticed there were some similar items on the menu in the "specials" menu behind the condiments. The waitress did not point these out to us when she sat us. Needless to say, she did not receive a nice tip. On the other hand, we dined yesterday and the waiter was outstanding! He gave us the lunch menu, told us of specials and even gave us the lunch menus turned to the specials page. He received a fine tip for his helpful attitude. He was also attentive and checked back often.

For the record, I shopped at a L'Occitane store and was browsing the shaving items and looking at the Eaux des Baux. The SA observed this and pointed me to a counter with the same boxes discounted for $5.00 USD off. That's the way it should be done.
    Last edited by Primrose; 2nd July 2011 at 05:28 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Diamond
    As for the customer being charged full price for items that are one sale? That's just extremely poor customer service on the part of the SAs. The SAs SHOULD have known about the marked down items in the store. Are they that lazy? I would show the company this thread. When a company deals in high-end perfumes, their SAs should be the best in product knowledge. We are not asking them to remember the inventory of an entire grocery store. The manager/owners should have a list at the till/register of all items on sale in the store.
    Some corrections: the customer who bought body care products had payed money and got a receipt. While packing her purchase, she was browsing in the shop and accidently saw a note that these productes were discounted. After that she was given back money she overpayed.

About my mother: no, SA havent's said ''sorry"..they were even a bit astonished concerning her asking to pack a bottle in an original packaging.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Post Thanks / Like

This is a job for kbe, mr.reasonable and myself ROFL.

Post Thanks / Like

I've experienced good customer service on 2 occasions now.
    Last edited by YEAHBUDDY; 21st October 2011 at 04:28 PM.

Personally, as a Britishman, I would shop there because they are the finest perfume seller in our country. £5 per sample is a bit of a joke though, I'll stick with luckyscent

As for customer service - everyone makes a mistake, I'm sure it was an accident. SAs want happy customers to return, they don't get commission (correct me if I'm wrong?).
    Last edited by boosh; 20th October 2011 at 08:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed - the experiences related by the OP are unacceptable. Personally, I've never had anything but exceptional service from Les Senteurs, but that's little consolation.

I wasn't aware they are now charging £5 per sample. That's pretty darn steep! It's worth pointing out though that samples are still free if you visit in person.

Post Thanks / Like

just realized as well that their samples are £5 each...are they that desperate for cash?

From personal experience, I have mixed feelings about their level of customer service - sometimes it's been flawless, while at other times it's been dubious at best.

Things came to a head when I received two partially-filled sample vials (one 50% full, the other 70% full) that I'd paid £3.00 each for. I complained but they tried to justify things, with a hollow apology tacked on. I still managed to get them to send the 'missing amounts', though. Nowadays, I hardly order anything from them.

I used to purchase loads of samples from Les Senteurs, back in 2006, when a sample still cost £2.00. This new price hike for samples is a complete joke - especially when most of what they sell are marked-up compared to other perfume retailers.

Weren't the samples priced at £3.00, only a couple of months ago? Thank God for Luckyscent...

Post Thanks / Like

I used to purchase all my samples from Les Senteurs ... BUT a mark-up to £5 per vial ("VILE" more like ! ;o) is seriously outrageous ! ... Lets see, that is a 150 % mark-up in just 3 years (when they used to be £2) ~ That is certainly the last time I purchase my samples from them !
    (It's ridiculous that actually purchasing something from the USA (i.e. Luckyscent) actually lands up being much cheaper ! (And that's with including international postage !) ~ LUCKYSCENT RULES !!!

... Ok, so I get it that we're in a recession. But now it's starting to seem more like everyone is just using "the recession" as an excuse to push up their prices.

If they want to continue charging such high prices for their samples what I suggest would be a good (& clever) compromise is if they issued a gift voucher of the value of the samples, redeemable off whatever full-bottle you purchase in future. I think that would at least then be fairer. (& good business practice/customer service !)

~ BUT as it stands, they have certainly just lost a customer !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 16th July 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I've decided to buy a bottle of L'Humaniste on Thursday. As I'm going on a holiday next week I needed the item fast, and I've bought my other Frapin (1270) from this Italian ebayer (storePerfumery) - who I must add is a top lad - but I'm afraid the shipping might not reach me on time. The last time I purchased from him it took 5 days, but I was afraid if Royal Mail decides to delay for just a day I'll be screwed.

Back to the L'Humaniste. Placed an order online on Thursday night. Next morning I thought I gave Les Senteurs a call, just to check if they do any dispatches on that Friday. The lady whom I spoke to said that they were short of staff and the next dispatch for items is on Monday, so I told her my story and that I need the item before I go away next Friday. After checking with the store manager, she regrettably told me that no dispatches were being made that day, BUT she would help me post it personally as she was heading to the post office herself anyway.

Called them today again, and they gave me the tracking number.

Their prices might be more expensive, but this particular service shown to me just might be enough to make me return as a customer in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    Their prices might be more expensive, but this particular service shown to me just might be enough to make me return as a customer in the future.
    Sorry but I disagree - they didn't want to lose out on a sale. It's as simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Sorry but I disagree - they didn't want to lose out on a sale. It's as simple as that.
    Exactly ! ... Much more accurate to judge great customer service on how they deal with the customers of prospective sales that they don't yet know are guaranteed. Rather than ones that they practically know they already "have in the bag", so to speak. ;o)

Persolaise has just written a lovely London shopping guide here!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Central London for one day.....priorities ???

As a collector of discontinued fragrances I am not so much in touch with the niche fragrances, or shops that carry them.
    Can anyone please suggest any "MUST SMELL" fragrances or shops I should not miss in London. I have seen most of the classic shops ; Jo Malone, Penhaligon´s, Floris, Taylors, Trumpers, Czech & Speake, etc. I am a huge fan of sandalwood, patchouly and tobacco fragrances.
    Also, does anyone know if there is a shop in London which sells the Madini company oil based perfumes. I am very interested to try the Santal Blanc from them. It´s supposed to be outstanding.
    Any help/advice much appreciated !!!
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Central London for one day.....priorities ???

The Ormonde Jayne shop is supposed to be pretty cool.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Harrod's and Roja Dove. Also try Les Scenteurs.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for what Primrose said. Absolute must. Have fun.
    Yes the Ormonde Jayne shop is small but wonderful too.
    Also the parfumerie on the 2nd floor of Fortnum and Mason's - very near to Ormonde Jayne and Penhaligon's in Green Park .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wholeheartedly second Primrose and Mimi's suggestions and would also highly recommend the perfumery at Liberty. Hope you have an enjoyable visit.

http://www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/content/find_us/content

Yes I second liberty and Harrods/Roja Dove (same building different floors. you also get perfumes at different areas in Harrads, not just the perfume room. there's the beauty apothecary, a mens grooming room, and the exclusive ranges from some fashion houses are at the main boutique, eg chanel and hermes) THose are the two places that I would pick if I only had a day, they have enough between them to sniff for a month so you can get heaps of variety without having to cover a lot of ground.

Les Senteurs definitely, lovely and knowledgeable staff.

I'd skip Fortnums though, they have moved their fragrance area around and now seem to stock a smaller range than when I was there a year ago, nothing really to see there of any great import to be honest.

I would go to the niche fragrance counter at Selfridges and check out the Bella Bellisimo line. One of her fragrances, Perfect Night is absolutely sublime. Marketed to women (mistakenly in my opinion), it is absolutely a must have.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I would go to the niche fragrance counter at Selfridges and check out the Bella Bellisimo line. One of her fragrances, Perfect Night is absolutely sublime. Marketed to women (mistakenly in my opinion), it is absolutely a must have.
    Completely agree. She has also just launched four high quality Oud fragrances which are extremely bottleworthy and only available in Selfridges.

Post Thanks / Like

A huge THANK YOU to everyone for your help and advice. Will try to cover all your suggestions !!!
    Perfect Night sounds intriguing !!!....I will definitely check it out.
    Thanks again, David.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I second the wonderful Les Scenteurs in Belgravia? I've lived in London for 10 years and have only just got round to going, it is the absolute holy grail! Amazing staff and they are incredibly genorous with samples.

If you go to the perfumery at Liberty, ask for Albertino on the Malle concession, he is also French, tell him Andy says hi. He's a great guy.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to the perfumery at Liberty, ask for Albertino on the Malle concession, he is also French, tell him Andy says hi. He's a great guy.
    Thanks. Will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    The Ormonde Jayne shop is supposed to be pretty cool.
    It's very small and the service is friendly and unpretentious. Unfortunately, I didn't find any of the fragrances FBW for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Parfums de Nicolai on Fulham Road in Chelsea

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The little Santa Maria Novella shop in Green Park , near Fortnum's .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    It's very small and the service is friendly and unpretentious. Unfortunately, I didn't find any of the fragrances FBW for me.
    Yes I feel the same way about their fragrances.

You might want to check the comme de garçons shop at Dover street though...

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I'd skip Fortnums though, they have moved their fragrance area around and now seem to stock a smaller range than when I was there a year ago, nothing really to see there of any great import to be honest.
    Andy, do they still carry the Caron Urn fragrances? O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Andy, do they still carry the Caron Urn fragrances? O_O
    Hey Dimi,

I didn't see them when I was in there last week. I had a pretty good look at what they were offering and it seemed to me that they had cut down the range compared to what they stocked a year or so ago. The other thing was, they had few testers, which was frustrating.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

How sad. re the Caron urns fragrances at Fortnum's . They were still there in March this year and the parfumerie had some special scents like Maison Dorin .

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dimi,

I didn't see them when I was in there last week. I had a pretty good look at what they were offering and it seemed to me that they had cut down the range compared to what they stocked a year or so ago. The other thing was, they had few testers, which was frustrating.
    Whaaa...?!
    Thats too bad! It was the one draw-card that took me to F&M each time I was in London!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Les Senteurs, 71 Elizabeth Street, Belgravia, London, SW1W 9PJ. The staff are great. If you want to tell them about your interest in sandalwood, tobacco, and patchouli, and they will offer suggestions. They have perfumers from Switzerland to Iceland. Will provide samples and they have mail order too. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Foustie; 20th October 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I agree with previous posts:

+ Les Senteurs, for sure.

+ And Selfridges, for sheer quantity, and it'll save you the trouble of visiting individual boutiques (L'artisan, Diptyque, CdG)

+ Liberty stocks Le Labo, Frederic Malle, a few CB I Hate Perfumes (Black March!), and some of the Serge Lutens exclusives seem also to be appearing in here too... a couple of months ago I was amazed to see them stocking Bois de Violette.

Safe travels!

Post Thanks / Like

And a stroll in Jeremy Street, St. Jamses' and all the side streets behind F&M to check the most glorious grooming boutiques you can find. Dr. Harris, St. Jamses' London, you name it!
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    And a stroll in Jeremy Street, St. Jamses' and all the side streets behind F&M to check the most glorious grooming boutiques you can find. Dr. Harris, St. Jamses' London, you name it!
    Yes, and even though you're from cheese paradise, you might still enjoy the best English cheese shop: Paxton & Whitfield
    http://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk/ on Jermy Street.

And of course, you should relax after a fragrance marathon over cream tea. We had an excellent and quite affordable one at the stylish and friendly "Brumus "in the Haymarket hotel (1 Suffolk Place, Piccadilly Circus tube).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.