Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Parfums de Nicolai: Nicolai Pour Homme !!!!

Nicolai Pour Homme was on my wish list for quiet a long time and finally I bought a bottle at a significant discount in a local perfumery last Saturday.

In order to come to the point: I absolutely love it and even though I can understand why its reviewed rather negatively or at least neutraly on this board, I wish that more people would give it a try!

Its slightly melancholic (albeit not dark), calm and it moves perfectly from a cool start (mint and lavender) to warmer middle and basenotes. It glistenes very beautyfully between different poles: warm and cool, melancholic and serene. Its will surely not work as a classical signature scent but for me its one of THE frags linked to these quiet, indecisive days in spring or fall when time seems to stand still and invites for inner walks....A very well done pastel and one of the most beautyfull fougeres I know...

Unfortunately on the reviews of this board the cool and melancholic side of Pour Homme comes very much to the fore while the warm and serene side (which is explicitly mentioned on the VERY positive reviews of the womens blogs and boards like MUA or bois de jasmin) is missed out a little bit....

IMO its perfectly balanced..... All in all the Parfums de Nicolai line has much more to offer as the great New York and after Baladin and a few others got more attention lately I think its time that also Pour Homme gets more attention!

If you like fougeres, if you like lavender, if you like watercolours and pastels, if you like serene-melancholic scents, if you like the warm/cool interplay: give it a try!

Christian
    Last edited by costello; 12th March 2007 at 09:38 PM.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Default Re: Parfums de Nicolai: Nicolai Pour Homme !!!!

Thanks, Christian, for posting your impressions of this fragrance. The "melancholic/serene aspect" has definitely raised my attention!

It's a very fine interpretation of lavender for men. Think of the fine
    blast of lavender you get from Caron Pour Un Homme, take away it's
    baby powder drydown, but add some mild sweetness in [perhaps
    like Egoiste] and you have a well balanced fragrance. Nicolai Pour Homme
    is neglected around here but deserves further attention. I think the
    problem is that New York is such an outstanding fragrance that it's tough
    for Patricia di Nicolai to top it. Still, Pour Homme is a worthy addition to
    her line.

Of the three mentioned, Baladin is my least favorite, but it's
    still pretty good. I do believe my bottle was a bit old when I received it,
    judging by the style of the packaging and the scent of the top notes.

Good fragrance.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th January 2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: mons veneris

Finally got a bottle of this today (found it on Firstinfragrance.de) ... after sampling a few years back and then struggling to find it.

If you value it, look and buy. The PdN site does not list it, their stores in Paris do not stock it, and you'll likely have to beg through email to get your hands on any remaining bottles from their online sales (which an attendant told me was possible, but only while supplies last). Yes, this elegant, fresh lavender with a touch of the house mint (seen more recently in the EAU MIXTE and EAU CHIC releases), that Nicolai DNA of herbs, florals, and a creamy vanilla base... well it appears to be discontinued. :-(
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

I read it was discontinued somewhere - if so, that's a shame. Still listed at Luckyscent from the looks of it.

I like this and Oxford & Cambridge in summer - both are cooling lavenders. Jicky and Caron PH are great but not quite so handy if you are going to be out and about when it's 30c and humidity in the high 90s.

I do not see it on luckyscent.

This is Lavender done right.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

LS are only carrying the 100ml so my guess is they are close to running out, I picked up a couple of back-ups when I heard about the discontinuation (along with New York, which has now been reformulated) when they stopped listing it.

I'm sad to hear this is being discontinued. It's one of my favorites.

I have a bottle of this and think it's quite good, but then again I seem to enjoy everything in their line.

Basenotes Institution

I fell in love with it and then later on fell out of love with it.

Once my nose zeroed in on the signature note that Patricia de Nicolai uses in many of her fragrances, including this one (Nicolaide?) then this was ALL I could smell. Perhaps I am hypernosmic to something in it? It has a scratchy, starchy, stiff chemical smell to it and it really rubbed me the wrong way - enough to overshadow the fantastic lavender/spice combo that this scent features.

Do they make a Shower Gel for this scent? Perhaps I would enjoy that more.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Very sad news, and I hope it will be subject to revision. How could they discontinue this beauty while continuing to produce new scents that are nice but nowhere near this?
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Sound Scents

I confess this one just wasn't for me when I blind bought it a few months ago... It smells too much like mentholated muscle cream to me, and immediately found its way to my swap list. I love New York from PdN though...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie