Code of Conduct

Default My visit to Neiman Marcus

I was in the neighborhood earlier today so I thought I'd smell a few things.

First off I didn't notice any snobbery that has been reported by other posters, everyone was very nice and helpful (and I was unshaven and wearing Levis, a t-shirt and casual shoes). There was one funny incident when I was leaving.

Interesting enough I happened to be there when a Creed rep was there. I asked him about the alleged "3 week shelf life" as someone recently posted and he had a good laugh. He said there's a lot of misconceptions he's heard but that was a first! I told him about my "SMW going bad" experience (and others on BN) and he did confirm that he's smelled bad SMW before.

First up was Creed Virgin Island Water (or whatever it's called). Didn't like it at all. Too much like suntan lotion.

Original Santal - I have new found respect for this. I haven't liked it previously, but I think it's growing on me.

Vintage Tabarome - Haven't smelled this in a while. Like it more each time I smell it. Sprayed it 4+ hours ago and still smelling it.

Vintage Vetiver - more pure to the vetiver ideal than Original Vetiver. I might have to buy a bottle soon, but there are other vetivers I like better (Jo Malone, Sel d'Vetiver)

As I walked away from the counter to leave the store i was accosted by a women at the Clive Christian counter asking me "if I wanted to smell the most beautiful men's cologne in the world". Before I could say anything she grabbed my arm and sprayed one on my forearm. She said that one was for night. Then she sprayed another on my other arm and said that one was for day wear.

Let me say that I was incredibly underwhelmed by both! $700+ per 1.6 oz! I can buy 4-5 Creeds, Malles, MGP, L'Artisans, etc. I could even buy three Montales or Amouage and have money left over. What a joke! And to think, Clive Christian bought Crowne Perfumery and we'll never see those classics again (at least at a reasonable price)!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Default Re: My visit to Neiman Marcus

Gotta love the Clive Christian rep: Spraying about $14 worth of cologne just to have a small chance of selling a bottle. Gotta wonder how they think that grabbing someone's arm and spraying without asking is going to get them customers?
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

So how did the Clive Christians smell then? I have to wonder what $400/oz will get you.

I didn't even know they sold CC at NM.

I've also never had any snobbery problems at Niemans. Must just be a few bad apple salespeople.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Um...I have encountered snobby SA's as the Neimans in Ft. Lauderdale. They usually put the attitude away, as soon as I start asking for colognes that they don't carry that cost a lot of money or are virtually unheard of outside of luxury department stores. Still, I find it annoying that I have to do that, to get them to help me. Let me also say that service, here in S. Florida, generally sucks in many industries.

Heard good things about the Clive Christian...will have to sniff it myself now.

I haven't encountered any snobbery in the fragrance area of Barney's, Saks, or Neiman Marcus. However, when I venture into the mens clothing section of any of these stores, it gets really 'nose in the air' fast.

Barney's in Dallas is so nice to visit. The people working in fragrance are helpful and sincere. I cannot wait to get back there in 3 weeks.

Is Neiman Marcus carrying Encre Noire - Lalique yet?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Um...I have encountered snobby SA's as the Neimans in Ft. Lauderdale. They usually put the attitude away, as soon as I start asking for colognes that they don't carry that cost a lot of money or are virtually unheard of outside of luxury department stores. Still, I find it annoying that I have to do that, to get them to help me. Let me also say that service, here in S. Florida, generally sucks in many industries.
    Been there...done that in Palm Beach County Mike.

Most SAs who put on airs are those poor souls who are basically so insecure they try to persuade everyone they talk to that they are worthier, better, more knowledgeable than thou, when in fact they probably are not. To paraphrase sociologist Gunnar Myrdal in his book 'The American Dilemma': "Every man is a king as long as he has someone to look down on", which seems to be so in such cases.
    Last edited by kbe; 12th March 2007 at 11:45 PM.

I think it's funny when I have to remind a sales rep. what her job is.

How many times have the words "try it before you buy" (or there about) been uttered here? I laugh at them when they hand me a freshly sprayed sample card as if that will suffice as a sample.

What I have found...is generally...the lower priced department store (Dillards) are much more snobish than the higher priced stores. The best I can do in the Cleveland area is Nordstroms and Saks, but I've always received smiles and samples from both. Nordstoms will decant samples if they are out of carded fsactory samples.
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 12th March 2007 at 11:57 PM.

You are so spot on. I encounter much more snobbish and aloof behavior from the sales reps at Macy's and Dillard's than at the higher end stores. They get pissed at you for not buying the first thing they push at you on a card.

I find that the reps at Barney's and Saks appreciate the fact that I know some of the names of their fragrances and can talk to them about their lines with them. Of course, I usually walk out with a purchase, so that helps also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    You are so spot on. I encounter much more snobbish and aloof behavior from the sales reps at Macy's and Dillard's than at the higher end stores. They get pissed at you for not buying the first thing they push at you on a card.
    I've experienced this first hand at the local Macys about 3 weeks ago, while buying Allure and Platinum Egoiste... The lady working at the counter asked if she could help me and I say "yes, do you know if you still carry the original Egoiste here or at the Chanel counter by any chance?” Well, apparently she never knew of any ‘Egoiste’ in existence besides Platinum. Then, without missing a beat after telling me about how she knew nothing about it, she says “well, umm… have you tried our new fragrance, Curve Kicks?” I didn’t say anything back and she immediately calls over a lady from the Chanel counter to help me, and she says with a dirty look, "she can help you now..." lol.

At Neiman Marcus though, they gave me tons of Keil’s products to test and even a few new fragrance cards that just came in, they were very helpful there. But the snobbish attitudes of the employees does hold true (at least for the Neiman Marcus at the King of Prussia Mall near Philly, PA) that as soon as you wonder off into the men’s clothing, the employees stare at you like in their minds, they're saying "you can't afford this clothing, what are you doing in here ?"

Try picking up a very nice shirt (one that is, of course, well out of your price range) and walking around the store like you've already chosen it and are still browsing. You'll get top notch service with a smile. Especially if you're dressed the part and you walk around the store like you own it. Seriously, it works. Don't underestimate the value of subtle nonverbal communication.

When you're finished, simply put the shirt back and walk out.

Sneaky.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

That's funny that you get snobs at Dillard's. At our Dillard's, the SA's are clueless and they will tell you without hesitation if they don't know something. Except one SA, but she got fired, so that's probably why. I do love the offhand suggestions they make though:
    "Hey, do you guys have Vetiver by Guerlain?"
    "No, but we do have the new Lucky! Would you like to try that?"
    "Lucky Number 6? I have it."
    "Hmmm... I'm not sure what it's called."
    "Lucky Number 6." (She runs to check it)
    "Yep! Would you like to try it?"
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Try picking up a very nice shirt (one that is, of course, well out of your price range) and walking around the store like you've already chosen it and are still browsing. You'll get top notch service with a smile. Especially if you're dressed the part and you walk around the store like you own it. Seriously, it works. Don't underestimate the value of subtle nonverbal communication.

When you're finished, simply put the shirt back and walk out.

Sneaky.
    I love that LOL !!!!, will try that for sure .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I just wrote about my own recent visit to Neiman Marcus. As it is human nature, we all make our judgements based on appearances and the observation about dress code is a good one. When I dress casually, I get no love from Barney's or Neiman's. When I go in from work, its a complete 180.

That said, Barney's overall customer service is outstanding. I get tons of free stuff and they know me by name though I rarely go in. I often talk "shop" with the Luten's SA (she's sexy as hell), even though she knows I can't stand Lutens.

Neiman's...is iffy. Snobby, but they too can be generous, but only within a spending threshold. I too was accosted by the Clive Christian folks and they tried the hard sell. "The most beautiful perfume in the world", blah blah. I like X for men, but I wouldn't pay retail for it. Just like I don't pay retail for Creed.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)