Code of Conduct

Default Crisp, Cool, Outdoorsy Summer Scents?

I've already gotten a largish list from forum searches, but I thought I'd pop up and pester the resident experienced noses for a few more specific recommendations.

With the good ole Texas Summer beginning to sneak up on me, I'm finding my inclinations starting to branch away from my norm. Part of it's getting some scent experience myself, part of it is anticipating the 100 degree high-humidity summer weather, another portion is missing the mountains (Used to live in Albuquerque, took frequent trips up to Sandia peak... annual trips up to Durango, etc).

Looking for something reminiscant ('ReminiscEnt' might be more appropos?) of those crisp, cool mountain mornings in the woods, by the lake, after a monster overnight rainstorm. The vetivers seem to come up often in similar topics (Vetiver Extrordinaire sounds excellent, but it's probably a touch beyond my 'brutalized by student loans' status). Vetiver de Puig looked promising, my being a big Quorum fan... though it's apparently been discontinued and become impossible to find and uber-pricey.

Maybe some 'wet pine' sort of scents?

Default Re: Crisp, Cool, Outdoorsy Summer Scents?

i just bought l'eau d'issey for the upcomming spring/summer.

I have Guess Man and it smells somewhat fresh/piney. it's really good cologne but not well known. give it a shot.

I'd really like to know the answer to your question also. In Ohio, we are still 2-4 weeks from true spring and 2-3 months from summer.

My first aqua favorite is Acqua di Parma, but I'd like to know others

I do have a sample of Guess Man -- It's likeable enough, though doesn't really stand out for me. I received a handful of samples my last trip to the local (admittedly sparse) frag retailers, and most of them had that vague aquatic fruity scent. There's a touch of pine, there... though of the similar scents, I preferred Hugo.

I guess I'm looking a little heavier on the 'Outdoorsy'?

D'Issey looks interesting, I might work on tracking down a sample.

why dont u try " herrera AQUA " nice tea/herbal-semi spicy floral/aquatic ... ; )

AdG

Maybe Geir would be something for you?

Geir is a crisp, cool, outdoorsy cologne, I just don't like it. No woods in this one, but still fits the stipulations.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    Geir is a crisp, cool, outdoorsy cologne, I just don't like it. No woods in this one, but still fits the stipulations.
    - Rich
    You are right, but I thought I put it in here since woods and fresh and crisp seldoms walks hand in hand... If we count the vetivers as woodsy, we could of course add a whole lot more: Guerlain - Vetiver.

I'd suggest Himalaya (Creed), or maybe XS pour homme (Paco Rabanne).

Ah, you beat me to the Geir recommendation. Oh well, that's two for Geir, if he can stand it. (For some reason, I just don't like it at all... personal taste at work, I have Fahrenheit on the back of my hand right now, probably the opposite of Geir)
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

"You are right, but I thought I put it in here since woods and fresh and crisp seldoms walks hand in hand... If we count the vetivers as woodsy, we could of course add a whole lot more: Guerlain - Vetiver."

I'm -very- interested in Guerlain Vetiver -- It's been on my radar for a while. Keep hearing it's a risky blind buy, yet it IS pretty inexpensive.

For what it's worth, I lean pretty strongly 'woods' than I do 'floral'. Sweet doesn't do much for me, as a generality.

O2xygen - California North
    Has always been a no brainer for me when I want to feel refreshed in the spring or summer. Not widely known or sold in many places. Regimens.com has it.

You should really try L'Eau de L'Artisan.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    I'd suggest Himalaya (Creed), or maybe XS pour homme (Paco Rabanne).
    Exactly my thought. "Crisp, cool mountain mornings in the woods, by the lake, after a monster overnight rainstorm" screams for XS. Fresh fougeres like CK Eternity might be worth a try as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Travtex View Post
    I've already gotten a largish list from forum searches, but I thought I'd pop up and pester the resident experienced noses for a few more specific recommendations.

With the good ole Texas Summer beginning to sneak up on me, I'm finding my inclinations starting to branch away from my norm. Part of it's getting some scent experience myself, part of it is anticipating the 100 degree high-humidity summer weather, another portion is missing the mountains (Used to live in Albuquerque, took frequent trips up to Sandia peak... annual trips up to Durango, etc).

Looking for something reminiscant ('ReminiscEnt' might be more appropos?) of those crisp, cool mountain mornings in the woods, by the lake, after a monster overnight rainstorm. The vetivers seem to come up often in similar topics (Vetiver Extrordinaire sounds excellent, but it's probably a touch beyond my 'brutalized by student loans' status). Vetiver de Puig looked promising, my being a big Quorum fan... though it's apparently been discontinued and become impossible to find and uber-pricey.

Maybe some 'wet pine' sort of scents?
    Try CK One maybe?
    I didn't realize what a nice scent it is until I gave it second try couple of months ago!

I'd also strongly recommend Eau Sauvage. Nicest thing about Sauvage is that it has some absolutely natural, pure feel.
    Last edited by deeablow; 13th March 2007 at 01:00 PM.

Amouage Arcus might be worth a shot.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene comes to mind.

Ysl Pour Homme Original
    Live Jazz
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Black XS
    Gai Matiollo Uomo
    Gigli Man
    Polo Blue
    Herrera Ice in the Blue bottle if you can get the older version.
    Roger et Gallet Open
    Roger et Gallet Pour L'Homme
    Armani Mania
    Armani Code

I love to wear Dior Homme on cooler,cloudy or rainy days.Even summer has rainy days!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Dependent

Terre d' Hermes
    Bulgari Aqua
    Guerlain's Vetiver
    Guerlain's Vetiver Frozen
    Christian Dior Eau Sauvage
    Creative Universe Mare

and have a look at the threads that specifically mention Colognes. From what I'm told they do better in the heat and humidity or under hot lights

(aha that's why he likes cologne so much.) <-- thinking out loud.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 13th March 2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: additions

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene comes to mind.
    I have a Grey Flannel by Beene -- Anyone contrast and compare with Bowling Green?

Cool Re: Crisp, Cool, Outdoorsy Summer Scents?

Travtex:

Bowling Green is an 'aromatic', it's designed as an outdoors scent. Gin and tonic time.

You can look up both Beene's in the review section.

Not sure about the recs for Geir and Creed's Vetiver. If the temperature and humidity skyrocket, Geir (one of my faves, btw) might be way too heavy. And I think Creed's 1948 Vetiver rather than the 'original vetiver' would be better, too.

The OV is a class act, to be sure, but the 48 is 'mineralic' --smells as if there were a spring over mountain rocks---again, I'm going on the weather condition. Hell, it was over 80 degrees a couple of days ago in LA, and just a bit of Guerlian Vetiver was overpowering!

On the other hand if you're going to be mostly indoors with the AC on full blast and want to be reminded of the coolness of mountains, that's another story.

Be Well,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Smile Re: Crisp, Cool, Outdoorsy Summer Scents?

You may like L'eau Bleue frais, ( ambery mint with aquatic fresh rosemary lying in a bed of subtle may rose petals), or even Bvlgary Aqua! (calone (watery component) and ambery posidonia plant, it's wet and herbal with a hint of iodine)
    This two worth a try!
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

"The OV is a class act, to be sure, but the 48 is 'mineralic' --smells as if there were a spring over mountain rocks---again, I'm going on the weather condition. Hell, it was over 80 degrees a couple of days ago in LA, and just a bit of Guerlian Vetiver was overpowering!"

Heh! 80 degrees is 'Winter turning into Spring' weather, here. Picture a Concho Valley summer: About 95 degrees, 50-plus percent humidity. Good flash of rainstorm in the afternoon to jack THAT up a bit...

Last summer I didn't think the 100+ days would EVER end.

Rather bake than freeze, though. It got under sixty for a few days recently and I was considering moving further south.

Some of these suggestions are good such as XS/Himilaya (I would advise going with the non-Creed) and OV/Mugler Cologne (once again, the non-Creed). However, Vetiver and Eau Sauvage arent too fitting because although they are outdoorsy, they are neither crisp nor cool.

Now Greenergy, that's a crisp scent. It's my SOTD and only a few people know about this little gem of a fragrance. It screens fresh fields of grass rich with dew and crisp, golden sunlight on a misty, spring morning.

Infusion (2003) by Bombay Sapphire. This is a fragrance based on Bombay Sapphire's Gin. If you want to get an idea of what it smells like, just get a Gin Martini made with Bombay Sapphire Gin. It really is an exceptionally good and long lasting fragrance for summer, crisp and cool without being cold and distancing. You are not likely to find it in a store, be being available at Duty Free shops as a gift with purchase but you can usually find it on Ebay at a reasonable price.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

CK Be and bathe in it.