Code of Conduct

Thread: Splashes

Default Splashes

I prefer splash/pour bottles to sprays. Years ago when a fragrance was launched it was available in spray and splash. Do any fragrance lines still launch with a splash or is that just a thing of the past? Your thoughts?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Splashes

Great question - not sure if I can speak for the fragrance industry (I'm not a SA nor do I work in fragrances), but I agree that you see more and more scents debuting only in sprays. Which is fine with me, I prefer sprays.

If I recall, Serge Lutens scents come in a bottle with a screw off top that can be splashed and then they also come with a sprayer that you can screw onto the top of the bottle, to turn it into a spray. The first time I saw this I thought it was a great idea, because it would appeal to either choice. Most likely Serge Lutens can 'afford' this option at $100+ for a bottle of their scents.

I never really paid attention, but I think most mini's are splashes as well as most larger flacons. I don't recall seeing any 30ml-120ml splash bottles recently.

Annick Goutal bottles have spray caps that can be unscrewed to splash the juice. At one time Lorenzo Villoresi bottles did too, but I don't know if you can find those for certain anymore.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

JHL has a spray/splash option.

Also Czech & Speake No 88 (possibly others in their range as well).

So do the Miller Harris line.

Mugler Cologne also has a splash/spray
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Caswell Massey has a number in both spray & splash.
    Sometimes I decant the spray into a mini & use the mini as a splash...

Also the Royall line is available as both spray & splash.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Splashes are an essential part of applying the drugstore barbershop scents to me...nothing compares to cupping a whole handful of Pinaud Clubman onto the face and bod, as if it were water. For other fragrances, I definitely prefer the spray mechanism for precision in volume and placement. All the CK One variations have both spray and splash capability.

I seem to see splashes more often in aftershave densities then EDT densities. In some ways I expect that the Aftershave Balms have taken the place of the splash on colognes.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Profumum has the splash/spray option, though I don't particularly enjoy it. They also have a couple of delicious barbershop colognes, Antico Caruso and Santalum.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.