Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your favourite fragrances seldom mentioned on basenotes

Have you got any favourites that do not get enough screen time here on basenotes, but are so overwhelmingly good that they should receive more praise?

One of my favourite scents that is not mentioned too often here is Hugo Boss Baldessarini (the original, I find the other two rather uninspiring). It's my favourite all-occasion scent along with GIT and it never fails to get compliments.

It's such a well-crafted, modern scent. Reeks of sophistication and class while remaining subtle. I can imagine Cary Grant and James Bond wearing it. Just can't get enough of it!

The tobacco dry-down is heavenly!

Default Re: Your favourite fragrances seldom mentioned on basenotes

I have several I wish were more recognized here.
    They are wonderful IMHO

Maestrale - Profumi di Pantelleria
    L'Occitane - Eau des Baux
    Aqua di Biella - Bursch
    Pomegranate Noir - Jo Malone

I get the feeling I'm the only one who ever mentions:

DSH Sandalo Inspiritu
    Maxim's pour homme (discontinued & rare)
    René Lezard Identité (restricted to German market)
    Berdoues EdC Extra Vieille No. 444 (what the f...?)

And these lines badly need a hype-cycle :
    d'Orsay
    Laura Tonnato
    Gianni Campagna
    Roger et Gallet
    Royall Lime

They make great stuff but are somewhat on the margins of attention. I'm sure there are loads more.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Des Filles à la Vanille *Rivière de Janvier*
    *Léonard Pour Homme*
    Les Néréides *Oriental Lumpur*
    Molyneux *Captain Molyneux* (least or hardly ever mentioned)
    Nina Ricci *Signoricci 2* (1976 vintage formulation)
    Parfums Zero Six Cent-Trente *Yuzu Rouge*

Agatha Brown Imperial Jade Emperor
    Dior Homme Cologne Blanche (You hear a lot about Bois d'Argent and Eau Noire but no CB)
    CDG 3
    Essenza Di Zegna
    Floris No. 89
    Givenchy Pour Homme (Red Bottle)
    Rochas Lui
    Versus Uomo (1991)

These fragrances are not mentioned very often, but they are two of my top favorites:
    1. Caron L'Impact de Pour un Homme - the perfume version of Caron's classic Pour un Homme, a long lasting aromatic amber with musk, vanilla, and IMO the absolute perfect lavender
    2. The Different Company Divine Bergamote - contains a very high content of natural bergamot, ginger, green notes, musk, and wood

Another fragrance which is not mentioned very often, which I have sampled only a few times, and which I continue to crave from my memory of it is:
    - Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

Aigner Black - very masculine
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

guess man

Loewe Solo. An extremely interesting, unique scent.

Creed Cyprès-Musc
    Gendarme Grabazzi
    D'Orsay Arome 3
    The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit
    Acqua di Biella Baraja
    Christiane Celle Calypso Homme and Marine

to mention just a few...

L'Occitane Verveine
    S.T. Dupont Signature
    Lapidus pour homme

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I get the feeling I'm the only one who ever mentions ...

Maxim's pour homme (discontinued & rare)
    Not at all, Moondeva and I sometimes mention this - I wore it for the Ladies 'Chypre Day'. Though that still leaves a small pool of maximophiles.

Totally agree on d'Orsay and Roger et Gallet (the one that is mentioned, Eau de Thé Vert, is one of the least interesting ones).
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Maestrale (by Profumi di Pantelleria) and Fine Leather by Heeley (their "Cardinal" as well)--all great frags, never get much airplay!

Maestrale is amazing and like no other scent that I can think of!

Spazio Krizia Uomo
    Romeo Gigli Sud Est
    Roy du Soleil

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Hugh Parsons Blue
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Michel Germain Sexual PH
    Joop Nightflight
    Lancome Miracle Homme
    Kenzo PH
    Perry Ellis 360 Black
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Hugh Parsons Traditional and/or 99 Regent Street

Herrera Sensual Vetiver (the least talked about vetiver here!)

Jacques Fath Yang

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39 View Post
    Not at all, Moondeva and I sometimes mention this - I wore it for the Ladies 'Chypre Day'. Though that still leaves a small pool of maximophiles.

Totally agree on d'Orsay and Roger et Gallet (the one that is mentioned, Eau de Thé Vert, is one of the least interesting ones).
    Maximophiles of the world unite and take over
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

wish we would discuss more the Gobin Daude fragrances like Seve Exquise, Biche dans l 'Absinthe, Nuit au Desert for their stunning botanical olfactory formulations and unique poetic sensibility and character.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme and anything by Cofinluxe.

Bond No. 9 Gramercy Park gets my vote... IMO, one of the most underrated scents in the line.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I agree on Arome 3, which is absolutely fabulous, and should be one of the greats here, yet gets little notice. Is that because it's hard to find?

Hugh Parsons is still under appreciated, but I think it's getting more play. I get PMs on it from basenoters, and I think a mini-mo is starting.

I like Castle Forbes's Forbes by Forbes, which is a great oakmossy/amber combo that is terrific. There is little or nothing about the Lord Malcolm here, and his wife makes great fragrances at the castle perfumery. Andrew French, CF's UK manager/distributor is a very nice man. Small is good.

Joe

Rochas Macassar - This is my #1 fragrance right now
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Thrax

Bogart Pour Homme
    Saville Row by Richard James
    Sequoia by CDG

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Your favourite fragrances seldom mentioned on basenotes

1) Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) Edt--a steal at about $30/4.2oz

Dried Fruit, Spices, Musk. Very intense opening that ends up in a wonderful drydown.

Discontinued in 2001, this is still available at many online perfume outlets that are reputable. Has a wonderful drydown you will be hard pressed to keep your own nose out of! At 6 years old for the newest of the leftovers, my two bottles acquired in the past month are crisp and enticing scentwise. I don't think they are faded one bit.

2) Ralph Lauren Safari for Men Edt --can be had for $35-$40/4.2oz

*Basenotes says:

Top Notes
    Eucalyptus, Bergamot.,

Middle Notes
    Cedar Leaf, Basil, Cinnamon, Thyme, Lavender, Geranium.,

Base Notes
    Oakmoss, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Leather, Vetiver,

Just an amazing fragrance that is also available online from reputable outlets. I find it damn near irresistible and keep sniffing at it when I wear it.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Oh, and it's so annonymous, I almost forgot: no one ever mentions D.R. Harris, especially when compared to Trumper or even Taylor of Old Bond St. D.R. Harris makes some very nice products including Arlington, Pink Aftershave, a very distinctive Sandalwood, and HIS cologne. No one is going to have shivers over this stuff, but it is as good as T & H, and the others I mentioned, and are unabashedly masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Royall Lime
    Yes! However when dealing with Royall yoeu muest mispel everythinge. Eat woodn't bee prahper otherewise.

Hence, I agree that Royall Lyme is rarely mentioned. I also like Spyce quite a bit & Muske. Spyce is kind of like an EDC of JHL, I find. Mandarin comes off like an EDP of Happy for Men, but it can be a little too much if unjudiciously splashed. The jury is out on Vetiver. Lyme has that fantastic lime note which wisps through the day on my skin, along with a hint of barbershop notes.

Some other ones for me:
    Eau des 4 Voleurs

Lacoste Original - My opinion of it improves every time I wear it.

Aura of Patchouli - Caswell Massey [I am kind of amazed how much I enjoy Aura of Patchouli, but don't really care about Givenchy Gentleman. They are similar in a lot of ways, but the AoP does it for me while with GG I'm non-plussed.]

Green Valley [Who would have thought a Creed would be on the list, and I wouldn't think I'd put it on here being a designer snob but there you go... Definitely has the honeysuckle/Fahrenheit note which will put a lot of people off. I think Creed glomed Chevrefeuille + GIt + a little SMW]
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Ralph Lauren Safari for Men Edt
    I agree. Safari is amazing.

D.R. Harris also makes what is possibly the best Bay Rum on the market. They also have an amazing Witch Hazel that works well as an aftershave--smells faintly of burnt sugar and marries nicely with most of their (and others') colognes. D.R. Harris makes the famous "Pick-Me-Up" elixir (read hangover cure) so beloved of the late Queen Mother and you can have a glass of it right in the shop (ask for Joyce to make it for you) and sit in the same chair that Byron sat in when he went a roving so late into the night (of course he also drank Hock and soda water as a hangover cure). Not sure what cologne he wore.... THAT might make an interesting thread. Passage d'Enfer came too late for old George Gordon--would have been just his cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Oh, and it's so annonymous, I almost forgot: no one ever mentions D.R. Harris, especially when compared to Trumper or even Taylor of Old Bond St. D.R. Harris makes some very nice products including Arlington, Pink Aftershave, a very distinctive Sandalwood, and HIS cologne. No one is going to have shivers over this stuff, but it is as good as T & H, and the others I mentioned, and are unabashedly masculine.

Apologies for hijacking this thread.

I've been contemplating on buying one of these two but can't decide which one. To my nose, they have similar qualities. Which one do you think is more versatile and can be worn in any season?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    Maestrale - Profumi di Pantelleria
    Aqua di Biella - Bursch

I couldn't decide between the two for about a week. But after testing side by side , I decided on Maestrale. They are similar at the top and start of the middle, but Maestrale has much more bite and longevity on me at least. It also has a salty, sea air, edgy thing that Bursch lacks IMHO. Maestrale is amazing and is climbing into my top 5. No hype here, it stands on it's own.

I second this--Maestrale is the more interesting of the two. Great staying power, with a definite edge to it. Awesome stuff and not widely worn, so you will stand out when wearing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I couldn't decide between the two for about a week. But after testing side by side , I decided on Maestrale. They are similar at the top and start of the middle, but Maestrale has much more bite and longevity on me at least. It also has a salty, sea air, edgy thing that Bursch lacks IMHO. Maestrale is amazing and is climbing into my top 5. No hype here, it stands on it's own.
    --------------------------------------
    Great to see that l'Occitane is getting some mentions--Eau de Baux is great--incensey and woody, as is Eau du Badian--Star Anise at its best, and 4 Voleurs is a modern take on the historical "Robber's Vinegar" that has been a staple in French perfumery for two hundred years. All very accessible and affordable AND the Eau de Toilette comes in bottles that the spray top screws off of and can be a splash if you want it to be.......

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    Yes! However when dealing with Royall yoeu muest mispel everythinge. Eat woodn't bee prahper otherewise.

Hence, I agree that Royall Lyme is rarely mentioned. I also like Spyce quite a bit & Muske. Spyce is kind of like an EDC of JHL, I find. Mandarin comes off like an EDP of Happy for Men, but it can be a little too much if unjudiciously splashed. The jury is out on Vetiver. Lyme has that fantastic lime note which wisps through the day on my skin, along with a hint of barbershop notes.

Some other ones for me:
    Eau des 4 Voleurs

Lacoste Original - My opinion of it improves every time I wear it.

Aura of Patchouli - Caswell Massey [I am kind of amazed how much I enjoy Aura of Patchouli, but don't really care about Givenchy Gentleman. They are similar in a lot of ways, but the AoP does it for me while with GG I'm non-plussed.]

Green Valley [Who would have thought a Creed would be on the list, and I wouldn't think I'd put it on here being a designer snob but there you go... Definitely has the honeysuckle/Fahrenheit note which will put a lot of people off. I think Creed glomed Chevrefeuille + GIt + a little SMW]
    K
    Last edited by Oviatt; 16th March 2007 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Pino Silvestre
    KL Homme
    Versace L'Homme
    Furyo

CdG Series 2 Red: Palisander. Just wow.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

SpongeBob SquarePants Sea Scents for Boys and the one for Girls too, they both are very nice and wear them a lot.

I have mentioned them at the Missing frags forum.
    Apart from that ,i have seen it mentioned only once or twice.

oh BTW, loewe's Solo get lots of mentions here, it even had some stand-alone threads!
    The same could be said for Salvador Dali PH.

The gorgeous L'Occitan by L'Occitane - opulent yet well behaved lavender and burnt wood in a timeless, near-perfect composition - deserves more than just two lukewarm Basenotes reviews.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125038.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    The gorgeous L'Occitan by L'Occitane - opulent yet well behaved lavender and burnt wood in a timeless, near-perfect composition - deserves more than just two lukewarm Basenotes reviews.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125038.html
    I completely agree. Though, someone traveling from Sweden to Norway just to pick up this scent does make it sound phenomenal.

I agree with almost every L'Occitan scent mentioned on this thread! And I'll add Neroli and The Verte a la Menthe.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Unless I am talking about it Tea for Two by L'Artisan is rarely spoken of. Another favorite of mine that is seldom heard of is Santal Imperial by Creed. All my other favorites are pretty regularly talked about and debated.

Paul Smith Extreme Men - spicy and fresh at the same time; my default fragrance
    212 Men - my "other" default fragrance

Zino from Davidoff. IMO this is a wonderful evening scent. The opening is incredible, like dark, ripe, deep blueberries, folding into something else entirely...rose and jasmin...sandal, amber, cedar, and patchouli. This will be my night scent this summer.

Eau de Badian by L'Occitane is another that I never see. Of all the colognes I have ever owned, this was the fastest bottle I went through. Perfect for spring and summer days.

And Green Irish Tweed...just playing
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 17th March 2007 at 01:30 AM. Reason: grammar
    You are not your perfume.

Here's some you've not heard from in a while.

IL by Lancetti (I still have it and it still smells great)
    Countess Mara
    Victory

Massive classics in my book.

Balle de Match by P de Nicolai is an incredibly refreshing grapefruit citrus.
    I also think that Roger et Gallet and L'Occitane are two lines that are relatively easy to find, not too expensive-- and underappreciated.

Mackie for Men by Bob Mackie

Trimaran by Yves Rocher

Basenotes Institution

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper (a sleeper scent..for sure)
    Paprika Brasil by Hermes (the 'black sheep' of the Hermessence line...I LUV its strange pimento and woody notes)

Another ones i didn't mention and that i seldom see here would be Adolfo Dominguez's Agua de Sandalo and Agua Fresca.

Blog Entries

Kenneth Cole Reaction...and when it IS discussed...it's usually negative
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Many of these show up on various lists but, to my limited knowledge, are not often discussed in the community :

Azzaro pour Homme
    Baldessarini Ambre
    David Beckham Instinct
    Yatagan
    ZegnaIntenso
    Lanvin Vetyver
    Polo (Green)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I appear to be solo when singing the praises of CdG Burnt Sugar in here, I know that
    Last edited by simisker; 23rd October 2007 at 09:03 PM.

Gianfranco Ferre pour Homme (original)
    Miel de Bois
    Léonard Pour Homme
    Salvador Dali pour Homme
    Perry Ellis (original)
    That Man by Revlon
    Ambro by Jacomo
    Maxim's pour Homme
    Burberry for Men (original)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 23rd October 2007 at 09:56 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basi Homme by Armand Basi

Ditto on the Baldessarini (can be found cheaply at discount stores now) and Profumi di Pantelleria Maestrale (vs. the Acqua di Biella)--truly a stunning composition. Also the Krizia Spazio is quite fine. I've sensed this one bubbling from under for awhile. I find Trumper's and l'Occitane overall to be quality but are also short-lived and a bit weak imo.

My favorite never mention:
    Eau d'Italie, Eau d'Italie
    I take the exquisite scent of the Amalfi coast (earth AND sea) with me everywhere. *swoon*

Quote Originally Posted by Fiorello View Post
    My favorite never mention:
    Eau d'Italie, Eau d'Italie
    I take the exquisite scent of the Amalfi coast (earth AND sea) with me everywhere. *swoon*
    I love the eau d'italie line, especiallys Sienne l'Hiver and Bois d'Ombrie -- very unisex and I like the association to the Italian coast
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Off-Scenter

A few from Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, some not even in the directory:

Celadon
    Cimabue
    Padme Lotus

Plus:

Bahiana
    Mandarine-Mandarin
    Rebellius
    and anything by I Profumi di Pantelleria

CdG Sequoia
    MH Tangerine Vert
    CC X

I have no love for Royall Lime; anyone can PM if they want to buy it from me.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Last edited by pluran; 28th October 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Ambre Canelle: what is it about this? Odd but I can't stop sniffing.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Default Pancaldi

Does anyone remember this stuff from the '90's?

I think it had strawberries in it...very crisp, fresh & slightly sweet.

We all know that life is not a popularity contest, ok, maybe just a little bit of one. So here's my list:
    Eau du Fier by Annick Goutal
    Vanisia by Creed
    Eau Dynamisante by Clarins
    Eau de Lalique by Lalique

My secret favorites.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th October 2007 at 06:22 AM.

Dependent

Now this is a Five star thread!

I'm still new at this. 10 years ago I thought I had discovered Quorum and that $35 retail for a fragrance was sheer insanity.

When I washed ashore here at Basenotes they were beating the Creed drum so violently... well you know how it was. Everything was fine but there was a Creed that was better. Now Montale is getting a workout.

Luckily most of the frags mentioned here I've never tried so I'm going to be having fun for a few months it looks like.

I'll just second or third the Eau d'Italie Bois d'Ombrie recommendation
    Lacoste Booster I believe is right in my price range. The bottle looks plastic though. Is it?