Code of Conduct

Default Women picking scents for men

Why is it that when my girl friend wants to surprise me with something she decides to buy me a scent?.. What is more, women always pick the bland, trendy ones that are either fruity fresh or overly sweet and are absolutely not my cup of tea (Lacoste Essential, Kenneth Cole Black, Rochas Man, JPG Le Male, you name it...).

Default Re: Women picking scents for men

I tend to be grateful when my loved ones have got a present for me, particularly when they have thought about it to the extent of picking something, like fragrance, that they know that I'm interested in.

I'm also not entirely convinced, Classy Guy, that 'women always' do anything at all.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyGuy View Post
    What is more, women always pick the bland, trendy ones that are either fruity fresh or overly sweet and are absolutely not my cup of tea (Lacoste Essential, Kenneth Cole Black, Rochas Man, JPG Le Male, you name it...).
    A couple "ideas" (that could equally apply to men buying such gifts, of course)...Could they be more influenced by top notes only (quick spritz, smells nice, I'll take it) or maybe more influenced by the packaging/look of the bottle or wrapping, or maybe they have lower sales resistance to SA's who are "pushing" certain products?

Ha! My roommate's girlfriend just bought him Le Male. As bad as it sounds to stereotype women, I think that most of them would have us wear powdery sweet or fruity fragrances if it were up to them. At least at my age.

I said MOST, not all. Please put your flamethrowers away now.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I personally think buying a fragrance for someone as a gift is generally a bad idea unless you know then already like it. How you smell is such a personal thing along with how a fragrance reacts to your body chemistry. One of the reasons women will pick the "trendy" fragrances is because they want to go with something safe and so they go with what is popular.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

a woman who buys a scent for me is like telling me "she wants to smell me". nothing sexier in the world if u ask me

wear the scent for her and show her your appreciation. even if u dun like it, heck its 'just' an extra bottle in the collection
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Why is it that when my girl friend wants to surprise me with something she decides to buy me a scent?.. What is more, women always pick the bland, trendy ones that are either fruity fresh or overly sweet and are absolutely not my cup of tea (Lacoste Essential, Kenneth Cole Black, Rochas Man, JPG Le Male, you name it...).
    Since you're a bit of a fragrance connoiseur and if she doesn't get it, then why bother. It's obvious that she hasn't put much thought into the gift. It's time to get a new girlfriend!

Since you're a bit of a fragrance connoiseur and if she doesn't get it, then why bother. It's obvious that she hasn't put much thought into the gift. It's time to get a new girlfriend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wolf can see it now.....Debby..come in here a sec will ya...babe...listen...I know you meant well and all...and we have been serious and all...but babe..
    wolf don't Gucci...so get all your stuff packed and dont forget to take "my gift with ya.." (while Debby packs..) Hi, Carol...listen babe...about that roommate thing you were asking about...yeah...my "roommate" is moving..and I was wondering...hey..by the way...if you were ever to get me cologne for a gift...what might you pick...just wondering babe...just wondering
    wolf

Quote Originally Posted by oolong View Post
    I personally think buying a fragrance for someone as a gift is generally a bad idea unless you know then already like it.
    While my gift of the Lancome "La Collection" was well received as a Christmas gift, in general oolong is right on the money.

The best advice I got on this topic was from a lady friend of mine. She said: find where they keep their perfumes and look for the nearly empty bottle. Buy her that.

As for a women buying me fragrance, it's never happened. But if we were dating and she liked it, I'd probably wear it as long as it wasn't a headache fragrance for me. After all, I've got a short list of 'hey baby' fragrances I'd like a girlfriend to wear and what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I think it's so sweet to someone to give a fragrance to you no matter what it is! It shows they took the time to sniff around and consider what you like and spend that much money. It's so sweet no matter the fragrance, it makes me feel loved and I always put that fragrance on when I know I'm gonna be around them

You should just feel special, atleast you didn't get a ugly tie or something!
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.

It shows more thought than a gift card.

My girlfriend's gotten me two of them. One blind, one that she became ravenously attached to upon a couple quick sniffs. Hugo Soul was blind, and though it's not really my thing -- The bottle's interesting enough to spruce up the whole visual aesthetic of the collection, and it's actually grown on me enough that I'll wear it occasionally.

Dolce & Gabbanna PH apparently grabbed her by the nostrils and wouldn't let go. I think it's "Okay", personally. I like it, and it has monster longevity on me, but I wouldn't place it on the top of my 'favorite smells' list. Scent is, in my experience, -very- popular with women.

In conclusion; It's all good. If she gets something that doesn't work for you, wear it occasionally for her then go get whatever the *#$& you want for other times.

Blog Entries

My guess is that girls try to pick something "safe" for their boyfriends, therefore they select the "bland" colognes. A much more thoughtful approach would be a trip to the mall (or whatever outlet of choice) for the two of you, so you can sniff around TOGETHER. Then at the end of the day, when you've picked something up that you like, and she likes the smell of it on you, she can foot the bill as a gift.

ClassyGuy, have you ever told your girlfriend that you don't like the colognes she selects for you? If you haven't said anything, she'll just keep giving you the bland ones not knowing how you really feel. Women aren't mind-readers, ya know . Let her know how you feel about her gifts to you. She'll appreciate your honesty.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I like CJ's idea, but it's hard to tell someone, "Take me to the mall and buy me a cologne!" I guess it's more advice for you and not her.

I think that most Basenoters would know how to pick out a bottle or two, but scent still is a very personal thing.

I got a bottle of Parfumerie Generale for my friend Caitlin, and she said the funniest thing. 10 minutes after she put it on, she yells "It smells different now!" I calmly said: "That's part of the dry down my dear, the dry down." It was a bottle I wanted myself, but her mom (Who is practically like a mother to me) smelled it and said "You're sharing missy." It was an instant hit. I'm trying to think of something to get her mom for her B-Day too...
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    *lol* That's good advice!

No, seriously, I didn't mean to talk badly about women. And I ALWAYS wear her presents, seriously, I'm 120% greatful for the time, money and thoughts she's putting into it.

Maybe I should have put it differently. Women seem to have a different taste in frags than men when it comes to a man's cologne. She would rather I wear fresh and sweet plus ultra trendy. Which is okay, absolutely.

But, I find it interesting that whenever I put on something with more character that she likes that even more, even though she would never have thought about a scent like that...
    Last edited by ClassyGuy; 15th March 2007 at 06:55 AM.

There are lots of possible reasons:

- She genuinely likes ultra sweet/fresh scents. (D'oh.)
    - She liked the topnotes.
    - She thinks all men's scents should smell like those ones because they're the most familiar to her.
    - She had no idea what you like, so she got something "safe".
    - She had no idea what you like, so she got whatever the SA told her was popular.
    - She sees perfume as a fashion accessory and intends you to wear something "new" and "fashionable".
    - She secretly loathes you and got you something you hate just to mock and annoy you.
    - She was hit in the head with a brick earlier in the day.

Post Re: Women picking scents for men

Good job Xplo!

My wife has bought me cologne before, but it's never been of the sweet variety. She prefers woodsy types and absolutely loves the smell of Blenheim Bouquet.

lol..I often wondered sometimes that when I'm with the wife and we're smelling colognes and I get a wide eyed reaction to 2 of them and she's like, "Yea,, it's alright I guess," I'm thinking to mysef, " She's pickin out the "safe" stuff for me!" Another words..she doesn't want a GREAT "Pheremonal" type cologne so I could wear it all around or something. lmao. Who knows?

I do believe its a different thing when your married, dating, and or single. When your wife picks out a cologne SHE likes it may be what I mentioned above OR....it may be something that she REALLY likes for you to wear just for her ya know?

When your single...it's no holds barrred! You wear what gets you the MOST compliments. If you have a girlffirend I think its the same way...you should try to get your own cologne...tell her what you like...like 5 of them and those 5 can be a XMas present and B-day presents. But you and you alone should pick out your favorites and SHE can pick out 1 or 2 of what SHE wants you to wear.

A great example is my situation. My wife LOVES... HUGO..by Hugo Boss..now I think it's strong as hell and heavy! I wear it once in a while and I'd rather prefer Selection from Boss which is new. So I take the wife to the Cologne stores w/ me and let her smell the NEW lines that are out..after Selection I'm done w/ Boss unless something extravagant comes out from them.

I'll wear 2 at the most of a cologne I'm not fond of BUT she loves and the rest of the colognes I get a little feed off of her but in the end I make that top 10 list and there my gift list that I want.

Its such an individual taste type of thing that you would really have to take a massive poll of people and find out what the top 5 are.

I agree: it's really hard to pick fragrance for someone unless you know for sure what they like, but if someone has spent the time and money trying to pick for you, then you should appreciate that they care enough about you to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by thisbekevinn View Post
    I think it's so sweet to someone to give a fragrance to you no matter what it is! It shows they took the time to sniff around and consider what you like and spend that much money. It's so sweet no matter the fragrance, it makes me feel loved and I always put that fragrance on when I know I'm gonna be around them

You should just feel special, atleast you didn't get a ugly tie or something!

Talking Re: Women picking scents for men

i don't know buddierow, because i'm like that as well. now if she gets me a fragrance that i've been crying about and knows that i've said i like it, then fine, but i'm very picky also, but on contrare 'mon frere, i love buying her scents.

but i guess to be safe, i'd just say thanks and wear the fragrance on dates (every now and then) with her. that way she won't think u're a snob. but i know i'm snobby and picky when it comes to fashion and cologne (hell and many more other things!!)

hey guys,

I've been reading some of the posts in other threads, and well, as a woman, to put it mildly, sometimes hold no hope for some men.

I am really very very pleasantly surprised and touched by how very sensitive, sensible and sweet all you guys really are on this thread. I was hoping to get a rise out someone with my post about getting a new GF -- I was semi-kidding with that one, of course.

I think that if you are the one in the relationship with the fragrance-loving gene and your significant other makes a faux pas by gifting you with a scent that is not to your tastes, graciously accept it and wear it occasionally. More importantly, take this opportunity to take her shopping (gosh, almost all women love to shop) and introduce and educate her to the complexities of the world of fragrance. You may be surprised and it may be she that will gift you with the more excellent stuff in the future -- frags that you may never have appreciated or considered before.

Or worse, you may have created a monster and her wardrobe will rival yours!

Women buy scents they think smell good. a That usually means frags with a hint of feminism (fruity, flowery, powdery, etc). A bottle of that stuff with have girls all over you. For example, my friend's girl smelled M7 and literally gagged. She said it smelled like the dust of an old man. I'd wear her gift, and enjoy the benefits that come along with it.

For the past couple of Christmas' a woman i have been seeing since 2000 has bought me cologne. Both Christmas' the choices she made were horrid. The first one she got me some kenneth cole scent and last christmas it was called "ice" i think. I forgot who makes it as i tossed it not long after she gave it to me. Generally, i think its a bad idea for a woman to pick a scent for a man who truly "gets" fragrance.
    Awesomeguy

I stand by my post...take em' with you when you try a slew of colognes. You both get an education on what notes you like and what notes to stay away from.

Err... I'm a woman and I'm thirty-years-old. So... does that mean I buy the scents marketed to my demographic or that I am interested in fruity, fresh, sweet scents? Umm... no. But then I am also reading Basenotes. I think maybe the issue here is not that women buy you these things, it's that *people* who are not Basenoters buy you these things because these are the scents that are popular with hoi polloi.

I have had men buy me fruity, fresh, sweet scents before. I asked someone to tell me what he considered when purchasing a perfume and he said. "People don't want to buy something they have never heard about. They buy something because it's from a famous name or a celebrity - like Madonna or Jennifer Lopez. If I've never heard of it I wouldn't buy it."

You might think that comment was vulgar and ignorant but the sale of fragrances isn't exclusive to aficionados or a mysterious stylish (and maybe moneyed) elite.

Anyway.

I recently bought some minis and samples for my boyfriend. I really did not like Christian Lacroix Bazaar, which is what he wore exclusively. So what I did was ask the male Basenoters for recommendations... not an easy task... I was worried about getting sarcastic answers. I said that I wanted to get something specifically "masculine" because this is what my boyfriend *personally* wanted to wear - either that or something fruity, which is what I didn't want him to wear. I got a lot of comments about how most fragrances were unisex etc.... Of course I also got some helpful suggestions.

In the end I put some minis and samples in a gold box and gave them to him:

The Dreamer
    Safari
    Ambre Sultan
    Passage D'Enfer
    Egoiste
    Habit Rouge
    Jicky
    Antaeus

He really loved The Dreamer. I chose it based on 1) the scent - it was slightly fruity but not so fruity that I didn't like it 2) the name - my boyfriend has trouble sleeping.

If I'm buying scent for a boyfriend or someone that I'm going to be in close proximity to quite often I try to get a scent that doesn't over-power my perfume. In my opinion it's quite rude to wear something that's going to upstage a woman you're dating - you should at least match. I would much rather smell clean skin than too much cologne any day.

If I buy a fragrance for a friend, male or female, I first consider what they usually smell like and then buy something similar or only slightly different. I might ask for a list of recommended purchases or I might get them samples. I rarely buy blind - too much money wasted. I have swapped away a lot of blind-buy gifts that I have received.

***Edit***

I like The Squire's suggestion of taking them with you when you try out fragrances - it could even be like a romantic shopping date.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 17th March 2007 at 04:56 AM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I know how picky I am with fragrance and I do not mean that they have to be niche or extremely expensive. I just know what I like and what I don't like so I would not try to guess what someone else would like especially someone into fragrance like Basenoters. I would ask first, or go for something else.