Code of Conduct

Default Favorite Ava Luxe fragrances?

I was just on the Ava Luxe website thinking I would order some samples and I became so overwhelmed that I had to just save the page and log off, there are so many choices. Every discription sounded great to me...could be the caffeine high I'm on though. What are your favorite Ava Luxe perfumes? I could only find reviews of a few.

Default Re: Favorite Ava Luxe fragrances?

I've only tried Kama, Royal Parvati, Neroli Blossom, and Lotus. The only one I liked much is the Lotus, and I like that one a lot.

I own and love Cafe Noir, which is a rich, sweet coffee scent, leaning towards Mocha. Kretek is a great blend of clove and tobacco (inspired by clove cigarettes), a likely future purchase for me.

Anyway tdi, please check your PMs, I've got lots of samples I could send you
    Last edited by PaulSC; 15th March 2007 at 05:19 AM.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Blog Entries

tdi: The best way to try Ava Luxe for yourself is pick a particular scent family that you are interested in and then order a few that appeal to you from that group only. Maybe pick ones that feature the notes that you frequently choose / enjoy in your own mainstream perfumes.

I am still discovering Ava Luxe but have made great progress because I know what types of scents / notes I prefer or what scent theme I was exploring at the time. I do love a few of her scents and am looking forward to falling in love with quite a few more...

Current HG parfums:
    Rasa Xtreme - an amazing, animalic musk to rival SL MKK adorned in the most velvety rose. Very sexy!
    Wild Black Fig - a perfect, rich, deep, sweet, resinous fig scent. Amazing layered with other greener fig scents like Davidoff Goodlife (Man / Woman), Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis, Diptyque Philosykos...
    Film Noir - on me this is a dark, smoky, leathery scent sister to SL Daim Blond, minus the fruitiness. They are stunning layered together.
    Dark Amber - A deep, sweet true amber that lasts forever on the skin, softly comforting. No vanilla, just resinous amber. A great softner with other more strident ambers scents like SL Ambre Sultan, and a great base for all types of scents.
    Absinthe - I trust that this is going to be just mind-blowing in summer heat. It has the most enthralling, refreshing character that is definitely not mainstream and very longlasting. There is a great Sweet Absinthe available for those who find this blend too strident and avante garde for their personal tastes.
    Cafe Noir - The most amazingly true coffee scent I have experienced so far. I am not a coffee drinker but on my skin this is so true that I am sure I must smell like I have just spilt coffee on my wrists.

I have a few more that I am still exploring that will no doubt become full bottle purchases in the future. A few of us are hoping to arrange an Ava Luxe Week soon, so that will be a great place to share / discuss your discoveries.

Good Luck & Happy Sniffing!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    tdi: The best way to try Ava Luxe for yourself is pick a particular scent family that you are interested in and then order a few that appeal to you from that group only. Maybe pick ones that feature the notes that you frequently choose / enjoy in your own mainstream perfumes.

I am still discovering Ava Luxe but have made great progress because I know what types of scents / notes I prefer or what scent theme I was exploring at the time. I do love a few of her scents and am looking forward to falling in love with quite a few more...

Current HG parfums:
    Rasa Xtreme - an amazing, animalic musk to rival SL MKK adorned in the most velvety rose. Very sexy!
    Wild Black Fig - a perfect, rich, deep, sweet, resinous fig scent. Amazing layered with other greener fig scents like Davidoff Goodlife (Man / Woman), Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis, Diptyque Philosykos...
    Film Noir - on me this is a dark, smoky, leathery scent sister to SL Daim Blond, minus the fruitiness. They are stunning layered together.
    Dark Amber - A deep, sweet true amber that lasts forever on the skin, softly comforting. No vanilla, just resinous amber. A great softner with other more strident ambers scents like SL Ambre Sultan, and a great base for all types of scents.
    Absinthe - I trust that this is going to be just mind-blowing in summer heat. It has the most enthralling, refreshing character that is definitely not mainstream and very longlasting. There is a great Sweet Absinthe available for those who find this blend too strident and avante garde for their personal tastes.
    Cafe Noir - The most amazingly true coffee scent I have experienced so far. I am not a coffee drinker but on my skin this is so true that I am sure I must smell like I have just spilt coffee on my wrists.

I have a few more that I am still exploring that will no doubt become full bottle purchases in the future. A few of us are hoping to arrange an Ava Luxe Week soon, so that will be a great place to share / discuss your discoveries.

Good Luck & Happy Sniffing!
    Thanks Moondiva! that is a great way to approach such a huge collection, I tend to get excited and I'm all over the place then. I do so love your lists!

Welcome to Ava-Luxe Anonymous!! :wave: In addition to Moondeva's recommends I would add (from the florals) Lily and White Lilac. From the Orientals Madame X.

I wasn't smart enough to do it category by category but rushed in pell-mell (typical Gemini!!) and am still milling about. I:bounce: Absolutely love this house - and the good news is that "Full Bottle" can mean "small bottle" so you can have lots!!

Stay tuned for Ava-Luxe Week!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

There are so many delicious sounding fragrances there. I'm intrigued by Film Noir in particular, though the gourmand line has me practically salivating.
    Are there any UK suppliers, or is my best bet to order some samples direct?

Smile Re: Favorite Ava Luxe fragrances?

I know you said favorite, but here's my experience with her scents: I ordered some samples, which I never usually do. My favorite was Incense Tibet, it reminded me of the 70's in the Village in N.Y. when I was young. I ordered the full bottle expecting it to be exactly the same, well it wasn't. It smelled stronger, sweeter and not what I previously experienced with the sample. My son even noticed it too. Very disappointed, cause it wasn't cheap. Have never worn it. I don't like fruit scents, but Forbidden Fruits was nice. Other than that, not that interested in her line, but that's just me.

I just bought a bottle of Rasa and am loving it! Warm, velvety, enveloping. I hoped the extreme version would be more of a good thing, but I got too much of a fecal note and can't wear it at all.

It's definitely worth branching out. The Rasa was a freebie sample I hadn't ordered, and was by far my favorite from a group of 10 or so. With the bottle, I ordered a few samples that were as disparate as possible, and have layered her Citrine with Fire Island today, with delightful results. The Citrine is candy-like, but this candy isn't Pez, it's creamy swirls of something soft, warm, and sweet, but not the least bit sticky. The Fire Island gives it an anchor of musk, and relief from the sweetness.

Madonna Lily, on the other hand, another one I hoped to like...lilies and Pez. No spice, no cool green, just cheap candy next to a bouquet.

Film Noir sounded like a gateway chypre for me. I want to love them on me as much as I do in the bottle, but I keep testing chypres and having bad luck. This one was reviewed to beautifully it HAD to be perfect on me. When I tried it, I couldn't place the smell, but another reviewer pegged it: bandaids.

Viva: the enormous gardenia topnote forced me to part ways with my arm, but even at a distance, I started to catch huge warm whiffs of coconut sexiness. I have to recommend this one.

Another vote also for Cafe Noir. Perfect coffee scent.

Unlit clove cigarettes are one of my favorite smells in the world, but if I have them, I might smoke them, and if I smoke, my sense of smell might be damaged, so it's imperative that I find a replacement for the scent. I hoped Kretek would fit, and tried it in a flurry of anticipation. I think a clove scent would need to be desert-wind-dry for me to wear it, and Kretek smells somehow damp.

It sounds like there's a lot of variation between batches from Ava Luxe, so it's possible that revisiting some of these in the future might be revelatory. But for now, there are enough that are marvelous just as they are.

Just got a sample pack from Ava Luxe and so many hold promise...
    The notes for Viva are:

Black Coconut
    Gardenia
    Narcissus
    Night Queen
    Commores Ylang Ylang
    Sandalwood
    Lily
    Green vine

I am loving this, I ordered body lotion scented with Viva and it is DIVINE.
    Highly recommended, a very uplifting and womanly fragrance. I would call it a sister of Nirmala.

I also am now in love with MADAME X...delightfully complex and musky this frag is experienced by me as a multi layered concoction, like swimming from the shallow to the deep sections of a pool and back again with light filtering from above...warm, deep and VERY SEXY...not overwhelming, close to the skin. A very grown up musk with so much more to it. Will post the notes:

Coriander
    Acacia Farnesiana
    Freshly cut hay
    Jasmine
    Rose
    Labdanum
    Leather
    Incense
    Patchouli
    Oakmoss
    Civet
    Ambergris
    Castoreum
    Sandalwood Mysore
    Precious Musks
    Vanilla
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Some fav's off the top of my head:
    White Lilac
    Milk
    Love's True Bluish Light (a great alternative to Jalaine's Silk)
    Rasa
    Doll Face
    Gardenia Musk
    Tiare
    There are many more...

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I also am now in love with MADAME X...delightfully complex and musky this frag is experienced by me as a multi layered concoction, like swimming from the shallow to the deep sections of a pool and back again with light filtering from above...warm, deep and VERY SEXY...not overwhelming, close to the skin. A very grown up musk with so much more to it. Will post the notes:

Coriander
    Acacia Farnesiana
    Freshly cut hay
    Jasmine
    Rose
    Labdanum
    Leather
    Incense
    Patchouli
    Oakmoss
    Civet
    Ambergris
    Castoreum
    Sandalwood Mysore
    Precious Musks
    Vanilla
    thanks rtamara for the heads up on this one. I have a sample of this from Esti, but because I've so many samples to go through lately (been somewhat bingeing), I haven't had the opportunity to sample it.

But I certainly will do so now.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    thanks rtamara for the heads up on this one. I have a sample of this from Esti, but because I've so many samples to go through lately (been somewhat bingeing), I haven't had the opportunity to sample it.

But I certainly will do so now.
    My great pleasure! This has potential to be a Holy Grail Musk for me.
    --------------------------------------
    I'd like to add that the longevity of Madame X after a day long wearing is delightful, rather close to the skin, but unmistakably present. Atmospheric.
    This is a real keeper, ladies!
    The drydown has a gentle but distinct patchouli that is of note for those of you who love patchouli.
    A sense of warm, mysterious intimacy is what this scent evokes for me.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 16th March 2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

I just tried Absinthe tonight (first time from a sample) - um...WOW! A quiet stunner of a fragrance. I got strong gulf blasts of medicinal strength eucalyptus, and anise that slowly quieted down to a lilac-like crispness.

VERY interesting & I want more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just tried Absinthe tonight (first time from a sample) - um...WOW! A quiet stunner of a fragrance. I got strong gulf blasts of medicinal strength eucalyptus, and anise that slowly quieted down to a lilac-like crispness.

VERY interesting & I want more.
    I have tried Absinthe and feel the same way! It reminds me of fresh peppermint tea (more so than her Moroccon Peppermint Tea blend) with an amazing cooling effect on the skin and sinuses that I think will be invaluable in summer heat.

I am entranced by it - sadly it is a big no-no for SO who literally recoiled, ran from the room, vowing never to agree to sniff a perfume on me again. He even found it hard to cuddle me later because the scent was still so offensive to him.

There is Sweet Absinthe, that was less vile to him but it is just meh! to me... I think this is going to be one of those scents that I wear for myself when he is out of town or away at work...

A truly unique, original blend. 4.5 / 5 :toppie:
    Last edited by moondeva; 22nd March 2007 at 02:36 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I had a real variable experience with Ava Luxe - some were wonderful, many were quite harsh on my skin. I'm having a reaction to something in the juice along the same lines I have with i Profumo di Firenze.

Moksha, though, was wonderful if you're a wood lover - earthy and green, like being in a misty conifer forest. It was a light and ethereal forest fragrance.
    Notes: Silver Pine, Cypress, Himalayan Cedar, Sandalwood, Agarwood, Gaiac Wood, Cashmere Musk, Mandarin Tangelo.
    Last edited by flathorn; 22nd March 2007 at 03:18 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Ava Luxe fragrances?

I just received some Ava Luxe samples from the very generous PaulSC and I am just starting to try them. I have been trying the first one ,Fig, today. I started with this one because it seemed to me to be the one I would like least. Well, I was wrong. It is beautiful. It is mostly fresh green leaves with a splash of slightly ripening fig on me. I am really looking forward to trying the others now!

There are so many that I like! The first that come to mind are:

Sunday Girl
    Love's True Bluish Light
    Vamp
    Sweet Amber Wood
    Sweet Absinthe
    Tuberose
    White
    Fig
    Dancing Queen (I'm showing my age )
    Tuberose Diabolique

I'm really wanting to try Linden Blossom.

Feel it my duty, as a charter member of Ava Luxe Anonymous, to devote few days to samples I haven't tried.

Some flowers - White Lilac, White Carnation and Midnight Violet - and Fire Wood (am saving this for last because it holds great promise!)

Will report! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

I forgot to say in my last post, that I would whole heartedly participate in an 'Ava Luxe Week', if in fact, some Basenoters are coordinating one. I will be more than happy to help spread the word, also in the Mens Discussion area too.

p.s. - I also tried Ava Luxe's Fig Wood, did anyone else get a 'cold cream' note in it? A little strange...

Not tried any yet but as they offer a samples service, I'd be up for that.

As others have stated Cafe Noir is great -- you almost get a caffeine buzz from this one. A great coffee scent that lasts well.

I have a whole bunch of samples I need to revisit although Madame X and the teak wood fragrance stand out in my mind.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe