Code of Conduct

Default black orchid and safran troublant

I have finally given both of these actual wearings recently and they remind me a lot of each other in that once they go on in a full application some of the principle notes you'd define the scent by via testing become ... less than the main event, giving way immediately instead to a kind of spiciness they both share. They're both quite spicy fragrances, in effect, when you really apply several sprays, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: black orchid and safran troublant

I've only tried Black Orchid so far. Initially I got a burst of florals (not particularly girly florals, it has to be said), and then a quick whiff of chocolate before the patchouli turned up and bludgeoned everything into submission. Later on, it turned musky, and it wasn't a musk I can live with, so this one won't be finding its way into my wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Black Orchid grabbed me on the Basenotes lunch! I was lucky enough to win a NIB 100ml of eBay for 42!! Should be here tomorrow! Hurrah!

I adore this stuff. Potent and quite sweet. I get a truffley/musky accord that smells quite, well, dirty (in a good way!). I would recomend testing it first though as I think this will be a love or hate scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a full-size bottle of this, Black Orchid, the week it came out. Its awesome.
    Awesomeguy

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

So does that mean Black Orchid has saffron notes in it?

Love saffron notes in scents...

Black Orchid's one of my favourite releases of the last few years - I know it's not getting a terribly positive reception, but I found it had real depth and beauty. The truffle in there is shocking and filthy-gorgeous, and I think it's an exceptionally beautiful and very well-made perfume. Saffron wasn't something I was able to isolate in it, but it may well be there; I've not yet bought a bottle (waiting for my next paycheck), and my tester is all gone now. It's certainly very gourmand, so I don't think saffron would be a *surprise* in it.

I don't think BO has saffron I just think with ST the explicitly saffron elements quickly subside to something spicy as do many of the principles of BO, and they both end up being similar incharacter, spicy. But BO is "dirty" in a way that ST is not, for sure! They are both amazing and both take some *cojones* to wear.

I'm so happy, I have a friend that works for Estee Lauder and she always gets bottles of Black Orchid, and she's gonna give me a bottle. It doesn't have the original packaging but it's the same juice.
    To Whom Much Is Given...Much Is Required

Quote Originally Posted by muchisgiven View Post
    I'm so happy, I have a friend that works for Estee Lauder and she always gets bottles of Black Orchid, and she's gonna give me a bottle. It doesn't have the original packaging but it's the same juice.
    lucky lucky you! I didn't know it was an Estee Lauder fragrance.

I don't know, maybe it was me but Black Orchid was extremely reminiscent of YSL Nu. I don't know if that came out during Tom Ford's tenure at YSL or not but I found it ... curious. Nu was a little bit harsher around the edges I think.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]