Code of Conduct

Default A perfume that smells fresh, manley and young?

Hi! Im having a hard time finding a perfume that i like.
    It's for summer clubbing use...

I have:
    Burberry brit
    (it's kinda' ok, strong and manley. But it's to much office man perfume for me, something to wear on a intervju)

Versace Blue jeans
    (Smells ok, i think? There's something harsh in it though.)

Armani code
    (Smells great!! But it's more a date perfume. Not strong enough for clubbing, though it's my nr1 for clubbing now.)

Dior Homme
    (Smells Great. Same thing whith this one, it's not loud enough. Date/party)

Gucci Envy
    (Smells like B-brit but even older and stiffer. Something i would use on a nice dinner.)

Boss green (Something i would take after the gym. Soulless...)

Bvlgari Aqva (Really like this one. So smooth and nice. This is my daytime perfume. Is this to much of summer perfume to use in the winter as a daytime perfume?)

So what i wan't is a summer perfume that is strong and loud, but not too much of that. Like a mix between Aqva and Envy, smoothness and the summery smell of the aqva and the louder manley part of envy.

I was thinking of trying Versace dreamer. But it's seems to be a stiffer smell like envy??

Kenzo - Pour homme Perhaps that's the one? Stronger/louder but still smell of summer.. Is it me or does it smell really much like JPG - Le male?

Default Re: A perfume that smells fresh, manley and young?

I can't say that I have a suggestion for you yet, but a couple of words about Dreamer:

I can tell you it most definitely is not stiff like Envy. You are right about Envy, that's a scent you wear to a nice dinner or out with a suit, etc. and that's about the extent of it. Dreamer is not like that at all. It smells very strange when first applied, but it dries down into a sort of sweet comfort scent that is very nice. I wear it around the house, something I would never ever do with Envy. Dreamer can be dressed up a bit, but again it's a softer enveloping scent once it dries down. Some here will suggest it for summer wear, and you could try it for that perhaps, but while it is not like Envy, I also don't think it meets your specs for a summer scent and it is not particularly masculine either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woxiz View Post

Bvlgari Aqva (Really like this one. So smooth and nice. This is my daytime perfume. Is this to much of summer perfume to use in the winter as a daytime perfume?)
    I've worn Bulgari Aqua in the fall and winter. I noticed that the marine notes didn't project as much, which allowed the spicier notes in the drydown to come through a little better.

Can't recommend an Aqua + Envy match, but you might try:

Bond No. 9: Fire Island and Wall St.
    Creed: Erolfa
    CB I Hate Perfume:At the Beach 1966 and Mr. Hulot's Holiday

Off-Scenter

Ever thought of trying Ungaro II? It's discontinued, but bottles can still be had at pretty decent prices on the net. Here's my pending review:

Ungaro II opens with an arresting citrus/civet accord, underpinned by a very smooth, rounded lavender note. As the heart develops, sweet floral notes emerge, melding so seamlessly with the citrus that it's difficult to tell where one ends and the other begins.

During the second hour a powdery musk note joins in. The fully-developed musk/civet partnership lends remarkable depth and seductive animal mystery to what might otherwise have been a rather ordinary citrus and lavender men's scent.

The transition into drydown is fairly rapid, yet somehow so subtle as to be almost imperceptible. As I think about it, "transition" is not as accurate a term as "transformation." Without ever announcing itself, the drydown shifts Ungaro II from an unusually rich citrus scent to a sensual, but surprisingly light spicy oriental.

The musk and civet stand their ground, forming a vital link in the development, while patchouli, something suggestive of cardamom, and a perfectly judged dose of vanilla move into the foreground. The ineffable transparency of this oriental drydown may owe in part to a light hand with the woods. In fact, I can't find any. What I do find is a light touch of amber, one so fully integrated that it acts as a harmonic background, rather than an individual note.

This quiet transformation grants Ungaro II a much longer lifespan than its citrus and floral opening might have foretold. It also makes this the only "citrus" scent I've found suitable for wear beyond summer.

I think this fragrance is remarkable in its adept use of two of perfumery's trickiest notes: civet and vanilla. I can't imagine a better-integrated civet note than the one that grounds Ungaro II. Whether it's the proportions, the nature of the accompanying accords or (most likely,)both, the result is absolutely wonderful. As for the vanilla, it's so subtle and well-blended that it effortlessly sidesteps the artificial, icky-sweet quagmire that has so cheapened this note over the years.

It's tempting to compare Ungaro II with Jicky, most obviously because they share civet as a prominent component. I find them distinct, however, in all other aspects. While Jicky is an extraordinarily busy, evanescent fragrance, which changes character from season to season, wearing to wearing, and even moment to moment, Ungaro II is far steadier. (Though not at all linear!)

Ungaro II progresses through its life cycle with deliberate, dignified poise, without ever betraying its underlying animalism. As the bottle cap color might suggest, this scent is a feline predator: all tightly strung muscle, unseen, deathly still, and quiet, waiting...

12 March 2007

A long way of saying: it may suit your needs.

Also, Creed's Silver Mountain Water and Parfum d'Empire's Iskander.

How about Dolce & Gabbana pour homme, the one with the blue velvety box?

I can imagine it fitting perfectly in the clubbing scene!

Give it a try. It's manly, it's fresh, it's strong. Great plus: Women love it on a man. There you have it! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Boss bottled

hiya i would say kenzo homme or even l'eau d'issey
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Thanks for the reply's.

Ok so D&G pour homme might be something? Only smelled it rapidly when i smelled around on lot's of perfumes, did'nt make any big impression on me then.
    But perhaps i should give it a try...

There's two more that i thought about: Esacada - Magnetism and BLV pour homme (seems to be quite fresh and stronger then the aqva, as i understod from what i've red)

Escada i've smelled on and it smelled like it could "offend" som people, a bit too much. But i don't now how the dry down is?

So again: The perfume should be smooth, don't offend anyone. Strong, summery, fresh and a bit manley. Maybe it's impossible?

And again kenzo pour homme VS le male? Do they smell the same? Or is it just my imagination?? Le male is waaaaay to populer here in Sweden, and armani code is getting there too...

Dunhill desire, Bvlgari black i've thought about too... Never smelled them.
    Last edited by woxiz; 17th March 2007 at 01:34 AM.

I could name 10 or 20, but the first one that pops into my mind is Givenchy PH.

Light, classic, and NOT dated...smells like it could have been released yesterday, which is why it's a certified classic.

Forget the mall scents like Boss, Zenga, Armani, CK and the rest of the lowest common denominator frags...go with a classic that no one your age group is wearing, much less heard of. You'll stand alone, and in a good way.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Guerlain Vetiver, CK One, CK Eternity. Eau Sauvage and Dune pour Homme probably.

Vetiver and Sauvage are diffinitely the scents you're looking for!

--------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithoutaclue View Post
    I could name 10 or 20, but the first one that pops into my mind is Givenchy PH.
    Forget the mall scents like Boss, Zenga, Armani, CK and the rest of the lowest common denominator frags...go with a classic that no one your age group is wearing, much less heard of. You'll stand alone, and in a good way.
    Some earlier CK scents are really nice and classy!
    Last edited by deeablow; 17th March 2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi! Im having a hard time finding a perfume that i like.
    It's for summer clubbing use...

I have:
    Burberry brit
    (it's kinda' ok, strong and manley. But it's to much office man perfume for me, something to wear on a intervju)

Versace Blue jeans
    (Smells ok, i think? There's something harsh in it though.)

Armani code
    (Smells great!! But it's more a date perfume. Not strong enough for clubbing, though it's my nr1 for clubbing now.)

Dior Homme
    (Smells Great. Same thing whith this one, it's not loud enough. Date/party)

Gucci Envy
    (Smells like B-brit but even older and stiffer. Something i would use on a nice dinner.)

Boss green (Something i would take after the gym. Soulless...)

So what i wan't is a summer perfume that is strong and loud, but not too much of that. Like a mix between Aqva and Envy, smoothness and the summery smell of the aqva and the louder manley part of envy.

I was thinking of trying Versace dreamer. But it's seems to be a stiffer smell like envy??

Kenzo - Pour homme Perhaps that's the one? Stronger/louder but still smell of summer.. Is it me or does it smell really much like JPG - Le male?

I'll just tell you what my 22 year old son wears- Emporio by Armani (nice) Lolita Lempicka (different) Michael by Michael Kors (stronger than the others, but sexy) Gentlemen Givenchy is nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very new to this board, but one thing I find to be very funny is how different scents are viewed around the world. I don't know the degree to which this is accurate, but certain scents, (while very very appealing), have become so popular in America that the idea of recommending it is laughable. Many of these colognes have become popular for good reason, but I still would not wear them. One of the main reasons I am on this site is to find new and unique scents rather than to smell like every other guy. I like it when a girl has no idea what scent I am wearing, that way it is unique to me and will always stay on her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by theissue View Post
    I'm very new to this board, but one thing I find to be very funny is how different scents are viewed around the world. I don't know the degree to which this is accurate, but certain scents, (while very very appealing), have become so popular in America that the idea of recommending it is laughable. Many of these colognes have become popular for good reason, but I still would not wear them. One of the main reasons I am on this site is to find new and unique scents rather than to smell like every other guy. I like it when a girl has no idea what scent I am wearing, that way it is unique to me and will always stay on her mind.
    I feel the same way about my fragrances, I never like to wear the "trendy" scent that everyone else is wearing, because I want to smell unique. It's good to see a guy that has a mind of his own*

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps no obvious choice for clubbing (but what do I know, I'm 39 ), but how about Nicole Farhi pour homme. Fresh, cool, piney green top with a spicy envyish sort of base, but not sweet. Unusual, rare, distinctive, great. And you just might be the only person wearing it in the US.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

applied lightly, i think Chanel Allure Homme could fit the bill. once some of the sweet citrus freshness dissipates, this wonderful very manly, spicey, yet still fresh sandalwood and cedar base comes out. it definitely makes a presence but its a soft enough woody/spiciness that it doesn't assault your nostrils.

. . . or how about Carolina Herrera 212 *ducks the flames* -- it is unique enough that it makes a definite presence and while having the most percentage of that characteristic Herrera spicy musk that seems to lingering all her scents except the first, it remains quite fresh like green grass. this guy has sillage and lasts. if it was made better i.e. not so synthetic -- i think this one could be amazing. towards the end of the day it sometimes has the tendency to dissapate into something that is very mall'ish and cheap smelling.

someone earlier recommended Givenchy PH, great choice. To ME the dry down on Burberry Touch is great, lasts pretty long and refreshing too.

If you want something a bit different get yourself a bottle of divine's l'homme sage i've said it before it smells modern but it nods it's head with respect to the old school of french perfumery and what's more it lasts and lasts and you're not likely to run into anybody else wearing it.

Clubbing and Fresh hardly go in the same sentence...
    People tend to go for heavier sweet stuff to be noticed in that packed club of smoke, sweat and alcohol smell....

But i think the closest in my collection to fit that description would be Paco Rabanne Black XS or Dunhill Desire
    oh yea... and Platinum Egoiste
    Last edited by yonggoh; 22nd March 2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Try Versace Man (purple square bottle) or Creed's Millesime Imperial or Kouros Fraicheur or CK Escape.

They might be what you want for loud, clubby, young freshness.

Post Thanks / Like

some people think it smells like soap, but I have found that Jo Malone Amber and Lavendar works REALLY well in the summer. There is a crisp quality to it without any powdery-ness, that, well, I'm gonna say it... it smells good married with one's own "musk."

i definitely second the Creed Millesime Imperial.

It's certainly very fresh, and you're not likely to run into anyone else who's wearing it. it's without question my most complimented fragrance. and it smells young as well. (i'm 23).

this might sound absurd to some folks, but i put on a (not too strong) coconut based body lotion first. then after it's dried for a few minutes put on the Millesime Imperial. the blend seems to compliment each other perfectly. i've actually been a bit thrown off by how many people (women and men both) have said, "wow, you smell so good! what are you wearing!??" haha

I'm gonna go against the majority here and say that MI isn't what you are looking for. It's definitely fantastic, but really only meets one of your 3 criteria (fresh). "Manly" implies that you want something that would be difficult for a woman to wear, whereas MI works great on most women. Plus I would dare to say that MI is one of those few fresh frags that work even better on the over-30 crowd than on people our age (I'm 24).

You mentioned Escada's Magnetism, which is very unique and definitely works for the clubs, so I would check it out along with Black XS, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by that offering from Paco Rabanne.

Also, Kenzo PH is nothing like JPG Le Male, which is generally a good thing. Unfortunately on many people (like myself) Kenzo PH smells a lot like beer, not exactly what you want for those summer nights at the club.

Most importantly, hit the department stores and do some hardcore testing. Let us know what you decide on, good luck!

EDIT: Holy crap, I forgot about Geir. I'd bet money that if you try it out you'll end up with a bottle.
    Last edited by Domer04; 24th March 2007 at 06:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Domer04...MI - while wonderful - really doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. I would go with Guerlain's Vetiver (big surprise...a basenoter recommending this )...but it seems to cover ALL of your criteria.

BTW, can I just say how much I'm loving this forum! You ask for help and about 20 guys jump up to give you their good, solid opinions. BN rules!

Trust your gut. The Dreamer is the perfect scent for a night out. You will not blend in or smell like a "stiffer" or an old man!

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
    Clubbing and Fresh hardly go in the same sentence...
    People tend to go for heavier sweet stuff to be noticed in that packed club of smoke, sweat and alcohol smell....

But i think the closest in my collection to fit that description would be Paco Rabanne Black XS or Dunhill Desire
    oh yea... and Platinum Egoiste
    I agree with the first paragraph. Envy works fine for me in clubs. Something fresher would probably be Creed Green Irish Tweed because it is actually strong enough to be noticed in a club.

Still haven't found what im looking for... Smelled on Magnetism, D&G PH and fahrenheit 32 today. Fahrenheit seems to have very god longetivity, but i can't really decide if I like it or not.

D&G ph feels a bit boring, but I haven't really given it a chance yet. Magnetism smells mystic and strong.

The one I'm really interested in is versace dream, more rare here in Sweden. What does it smell like? Any other perfumes that smells anything like it?

Almost the most important thing is that it's strong. Or it will just fade away in the club...
    Lady's and gentlemen I finally made my decision and ordered the VERSACE DREAMER.

I read this quote "*I'm a poet, *with a poet's brooding melancholy . . ." and it's kinda' like me,
    and it's quite rare here in Sweden.

Got it from eBay for 35$ with shipping...
    Last edited by woxiz; 19th April 2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

try Bond Hamptons

Try Kenneth Cole's RSVP, warm and loud like Envy, but with the undertone of freshness like Aqva in the drydown. Unmistakably manly, very good longevity.

Dreamer is very floral, Lily of the Valley, with the undertone of tobacco, sillage and scent surely to turn heads!
    Last edited by iMaverick; 21st April 2007 at 10:19 PM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    Try Kenneth Cole's RSVP, warm and loud like Envy, but with the undertone of freshness like Aqva in the drydown. Unmistakably manly, very good longevity.

Dreamer is very floral, Lily of the Valley, with the undertone of tobacco, sillage and scent surely to turn heads!
    yeah,. RSVP is really great, with all those negative comments in the forum about the new k.C i thought that could be totally a disaster... , but is really nice and comforable with good longevity... well,. im a sinner, yeah, i like RSVP ahaha ( sure im not the onlyone)
    :bounce:

Post Thanks / Like

The only fragrances you need for this summer are Polo Double Black and Terre D'Hermes

...smell them, and you'll be hooked
    Last edited by 1280adam; 21st April 2007 at 11:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domer04 View Post
    Also, Kenzo PH is nothing like JPG Le Male, which is generally a good thing. Unfortunately on many people (like myself) Kenzo PH smells a lot like beer, not exactly what you want for those summer nights at the club.

Haha, what?? Beer? I never would have thought of that one. Whatever you think it smells like, I wouldn't wear it to a club. It's well made, but definitely not a crowd pleaser in my experience.

A note about Geir: make sure you like vanilla before you get this. Sweet stuff. Smells like hay and vanilla to me. No, thank you.

I wholeheartedly reccommend Escada Magnetism though. Great responses from everyone, and I like it too.

Finally, if you really want to smell unique (yet very very sexy) try Bvlgari Black. Top notch.

oh and good choice with Dior Homme. One of my favorites.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Lady's and gentlemen I finally made my decision and ordered the VERSACE DREAMER.

I read this quote "*I'm a poet, *with a poet's brooding melancholy . . ." and it's kinda' like me,
    and it's quite rare here in Sweden.

Got it from eBay for 35$ with shipping...
    Well it's about time! Congrats. Enjoy it.

I wore it about 8-9 years ago and enjoyed its strangeness and unique scent - until I moved on to other scents. In my opinion, there is nothing like it in the scent world.

My advice: Do NOT overapply - this cologne does NOT need it, it's pretty strong just with 2-3 good full blast sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well it's about time! Congrats. Enjoy it.

I wore it about 8-9 years ago and enjoyed its strangeness and unique scent - until I moved on to other scents. In my opinion, there is nothing like it in the scent world.

My advice: Do NOT overapply - this cologne does NOT need it, it's pretty strong just with 2-3 good full blast sprays.
    Ok. As i'm going to use as a club perfume i put on perfume at least 3 hours before I arrive to the club, so over applying i'm not that worried about.

So I really need a long lasting perfume for clubbing.

It took a long time for the not so good top notes to disappear, an hour at least.
    But after they left it smelled a lot nicer!

Being a teenager I prefer Burberrry Brit, I think it fulfilles all of your requirement, but not to sure about how fresh it is. Others I like in my collection are, Gucci PH2, and Allure Sport (drives twenty somethings crazy).

Well, I'm 21 and I pretty much only wear "manly" colognes. I try to wear things that a woman couldn't wear, so typically that means older scents that could be considered "stuffy." I find newer scents seem to be almost ambiguous, despite being marketed for men.

For clubbing I would, and do, stay away from any aquatic citrus (I find those better for casual settings anyways) and go with something much stronger. I will probably wear Yatagan next time I'm out clubbing (an odd choice, yes). Wearing a citrus, even if not the stereotypical 20s male frag (AdG, JPG), will only have you blend in to the crowd. You want something to make you stand out.

A good choice would be Chanel's Antaeus (or Fred Hayman's 273 which is said to be nearly identical). I find it to be quite fresh and still masculine, would work very well in a club setting. Guerlain's Vetiver Eau Glacee (Frozen) has worked well for me at the bar also.

From the notes, Alan Cumming's Cumming might be a good choice, although the whiskey in the top note could be a little off putting.

I think there should be a correlation to your personality and your fragrance. If you're the type of guy who drinks mixed drinks and would be characterized as "sweet" or "nice" you're going to want something sweeter. If you drink 4 fingers of whiskey straight up without flinching, like me , you're going to want to stick to something on the other end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmoedavid View Post
    Being a teenager I prefer Burberrry Brit, I think it fulfilles all of your requirement, but not to sure about how fresh it is.
    Funny...I've heard Burberry's Brit described as an 'old man's fragrance' by more than one 20 something year old. I sometimes wear it myself and a girl told me I smell like her father.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
    I think there should be a correlation to your personality and your fragrance. If you're the type of guy who drinks mixed drinks and would be characterized as "sweet" or "nice" you're going to want something sweeter. If you drink 4 fingers of whiskey straight up without flinching, like me , you're going to want to stick to something on the other end of the spectrum.

pragmatically, this just doesn't work, and is very limiting besides. wear what smells good to you. period.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Bulgari Aqua
    Lacoste PH

Try B*Men, it's not exactly fresh but there's definitely some vegetable freshness from the Rhubarb note, you can find it cheap because it's discontinued.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what kind of scent you are look for whether a strong or light frag. One that I like it Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme, its nice, not to heavy and I have gotten comments every time I put it on. The drydown works well with alot of people so when the night is late and the music is blaring, they like to get close to talk in your ear so a dab behind it does the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Paco Rabanne Black XS is very nice for clubbing...fresh, sexy...just for a young man...and the ladies love this one...try it before you buy it :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4bassdude View Post
    Don't know what kind of scent you are look for whether a strong or light frag. One that I like it Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme, its nice, not to heavy and I have gotten comments every time I put it on. The drydown works well with alot of people so when the night is late and the music is blaring, they like to get close to talk in your ear so a dab behind it does the trick.
    yeah thats definitely a good choice... love that stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suggest you try Djin by me, Michael Storer fine niche fragrances, for a scent that is fresh, very manly and young. I will send any of you a sample for free.. along with Monk and Il Giardino... if you send me a PM with your complete name and address.

Michael, your perfumer bud.
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing else will do
    But Bvlgari Blv
    please see that you
    see the above named thread today
    to late an it will it get away
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 4th June 2007 at 04:29 PM.

Burberry Touch
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

I have the same problems and it seen that you know a lot about male scent. But here is one line that was recomended by a friend Bond No.9 and I all ready got a sample of their latest send for this summer and is great. I really think that this line is great and is only at saks and their own boutiques in New York City. Try this line and also the new scent by valentino is also good but is not a long lasting scent is very similar to the creed scent.