Code of Conduct

Default Girlfriend Vs My Collection

Everytime i buy a new scent that i love..

My partner says... its not bad.. But i have smelt better on you!!

This...drives me nuts.

She has said it about all of these..

TERRE D HERMES
    ANTAEUS
    PLATINUM EGOISTE
    GREEN IRISH TWEED

She wants me to get rid of these for stuff like JOOP and AQUA DI GIO

but maybe ..
    I should get rid of her instead!!!

Does anybody else have this?

What do you think?
    Last edited by DustB; 16th March 2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Removed all-caps in title.

Default Re: GIRLFRIEND Vs MY COLLECTION

Well your wardrobe isn't that small. Ask her what her favourites are and only put on these when she is going to be around you. If you don't like fresh scents you shouldn't go out and buy them, but if you do you could take a look. Bulgari Aqua is one that is quite liked here, or something deep blue like L'eau Bleue d'Issey.

dump the ballbuster! (kidding)

HAHA! Funny title and post

Sounds like you need to swap her for someone who will play nicer with your wardrobe. (also kidding)

Basenotes Institution

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get rid of your fragrances that your girlfriend doesn't like. However, to meet her half way, you might need to wear certain scents that SHE likes ever so often (perhaps if she wants you to wear them, she can BUY THEM FOR YOU), but when you are alone or not around her, enjoy YOUR favorite scents.

If she doesn't like this, get rid of her and get a boyfriend instead (smile)

I think that you need to ask yourself, why do you wear cologne, for you or for other people? For me it is a some of both. So if my girlfriend expresses a preference for some fragrances over others, I'll make an effort to use the fragrances she likes when I'm with her.

That being said, I did break up with a woman a couple of months ago in part because she didn't want me to use any fragrance. I mean you need to draw the line someplace!
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Smile Re: GIRLFRIEND Vs MY COLLECTION

You could ...

1. Start buying her perfume and get her hooked then she won't notice yours.

2. Wear jams and jellies.

3. Get her nose plugs.

4. Find someone who likes you for your fragrances.

5. Take her fragrance shopping and let her pick a few.

bill

...and today I am still just a bill.
    --Schoolhouse Rock

Wardrobe

Thrax

I've got a bottle of Dzing on the swapboards, I'll trade ya for her.

I agree with the posters saying to take her fragrance shopping. The exception though, is to take her to buy a boutique fragrance, something like L'Artisan. Lead her towards something complex and out of the ordinary. Something that will help her appreciate the fragrances that you wear. Maybe even teach her the differences between department store "designer" fragrances and quality boutique fragrances. Have her try on Dzing! so she can properly experience the fragrance pyramid.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post

Haha. Perfect.
    Last edited by enlightenment; 16th March 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

[QUOTE=deck89;996193]

TERRE D HERMES
    ANTAEUS
    PLATINUM EGOISTE
    GREEN IRISH TWEED[QUOTE]

It always seemed to me these fragrances were, more or less, "compliment getters"; very popular with women. However, if Joop and Aqua di Giň is her preferred style I doubt that she would like something like Dzing. Get rid of her, your collection will last longer than this relationship. OR: Try to be persuasive. Sometimes people like a fragrance better when they have understood what it "means".

That is truly funny. There have been fragrances that my husband has not been crazy about at first, but he is developing his nose and surprises me now. Maybe in time.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    It always seemed to me these fragrances were, more or less, "compliment getters"; very popular with women. (...)
    And, therein lies the issue. Your GF marking you as hers and wants you to become invisible to other women. Happens all the time. Next, she'll have you trade in your sports car for a minivan, and after that, it's plaid, high-waisted trousers for you. Resist at all costs. OR, meet in the middle, if you must.

Exclamation Re: GIRLFRIEND Vs MY COLLECTION

It always seemed to me these fragrances were, more or less, "compliment getters"; very popular with women. However, if Joop and Aqua di Giň is her preferred style I doubt that she would like something like Dzing. Get rid of her, your collection will last longer than this relationship. OR: Try to be persuasive. Sometimes people like a fragrance better when they have understood what it "means".
    ...Good point. But maybe the OP has never tried to teach her about fragrances. Most girls, when shopping for fragrances, just go to the counter and start sniffing whatever the sales person shoves under their nose. By the time they are done the olfactory senses are probably completely f'd up so these simple synthetic fragrances are what still smell good.

If, after taking her out to experience what we all experience with fragrances, she still does not appreciate your fragrances then maybe consider getting an upgrade on your girlfriend. Chances are if you appreciate fragrance there are many other things in life that you appreciate that she would not. There is nothing wrong with her being like that. If you can live with that and accept that she just doesn't get it (or you) then don't worry about it.

Chances are she just hasn't yet learned to appreciate a good scent. Another suggestion for her: Fresh "Sake."

Default Re: Girlfriend Vs My Collection

I have made a similar experience with a girl that did not like my style of music. Richard Wagner was too eccentric for her, even if she was a student of musicology, as am I. However, her "Beatle-Mania" gave me a headache everytime I had to hear those "simplistic" songs (Pace! to all lovers of Beatles here around). We broke up and it was right so, because: Real love isn't stopped by different taste of music, fragrance, fashion etc. There's always a chance to make compromises, but not for the sake of giving up everything that is important for oneself.

I have the same problem. I think the problem is that women seem to associate
    the scent you wear completely with you. They want to smell the scent and remember YOU. For example, I was wearing Armani Mania when I met my fiance. I continued wearing it for a few weeks into the relationship and then stopped, mainly because I started getting really into frags and especially niche stuff. Since then I have not heard the end of it. Everything that I consider to be superior to A. Mania she doesn't really like and she keeps telling me to wear Mania again because she really loves it on me. Anyway, over time I have made her understand that I am more interested in more high quality and unusual scents and pretty much stopped wearing Mania at all. I think she is starting to get the idea now and is starting to actually like other things on me now. For example she really likes Endymion, Dzing, Marc Jacobs and Mugler Cologne.

Now I still wish she would come around to enjoying things like Vetiver based scents and Gucci Pour Homme.

I really do agree with telling people about the more intricate aspects of fragrances like Top Notes and Basenotes, dry downs and especially what goes into the making of a great frag. People appreciate it more once they know more about it. People always look at me a little weird when start telling them about my fragrance interest and I know they think that it's not a really "man's" thing to be interested in. I really don't care what they think though. I am a Renaissance Man, damn it
    Last edited by mentallo; 16th March 2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Sausage stew with pickles and tyme
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

To make things fair would you like me to also throw in the CREED?

LMAO Thrax!
    A man after my own heart...
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by oolong View Post

That being said, I did break up with a woman a couple of months ago in part because she didn't want me to use any fragrance. I mean you need to draw the line someplace!
    LOL, were you just looking for an excuse to dump her?

Maybe, just maybe, she likes your fresh "manly" scent rather than a contrived scent through fragrance. Maybe, just maybe, the fresh "manly" scent of yours just drives her crazy. You guys should read some of the posts from the woman's discussion forum. A lot of woman, prefer the scent of their man without fragrance -- they find it sexy as h*ck.

Or, maybe, she doesn't want you to smell sweeter than her scent

Just my two scents on this topic.

Dump her.

I've only stumbled upon this situation once...with daim blond, the only Serge Lutens I liked. I bought it, certain she would love it...and she totally hated it.

Serge Lutens: 0
    Girlfriend: 1

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    dump the ballbuster! (kidding)
    OMG, supermarky!
    Is that really you in the picture?!

If I found myself in this situation, and truly cared about this person, I would try to find something we both like. My wife prefers certain fragrances so when I'm with her it's not a big deal to wear those. When I go to work I wear the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    LOL, were you just looking for an excuse to dump her?

Maybe, just maybe, she likes your fresh "manly" scent rather than a contrived scent through fragrance. Maybe, just maybe, the fresh "manly" scent of yours just drives her crazy. You guys should read some of the posts from the woman's discussion forum. A lot of woman, prefer the scent of their man without fragrance -- they find it sexy as h*ck.

Or, maybe, she doesn't want you to smell sweeter than her scent

Just my two scents on this topic.
    There were other issues other then not wanting me to use cologne, that was just one of the issues. A really nice lady but in a lot of ways we were just not that compatible and that was one of the many ways.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by deck89 View Post
    Everytime i buy a new scent that i love..

My partner says... its not bad.. But i have smelt better on you!!

This...drives me nuts.

TERRE D HERMES
    ANTAEUS
    PLATINUM EGOISTE
    GREEN IRISH TWEED

She wants me to get rid of these for stuff like JOOP and AQUA DI GIO

but maybe ..
    I should get rid of her instead!!!

Does anybody else have this?

What do you think?

I'm a trouble maker, yes get rid of her...lol... I've never smelled any of the scents that you like, but from what I've read, they seem to be masculine type scents, and the one's your girlfriend likes are more "wimpy" more geared towards what women would like. Personally, I like a man to smell like a man, but that's me. I would compromise a little, and wear the one's she likes when your being romantic & intimate, and the one's you like when you go to work, and elsewhere. I think fragrance should be a reflection of who you are, but sometimes to appeal to your SO, wear what they respond to also.