Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    I know there are many fellow basenoters who unabashedly wear some women's fragrances- I admire that greatly, but I just don't know if I can pull some of the more feminine scents without being uncomfortable. I know some of the male/female designations on scents are arbitrary, but for some reason I can't shake the notion that putting on a female-labeled scent is akin to putting on a woman's thong for underwear.

    At TJ Maxx today, I found a Gucci Eau de Parfum (the original one, not II) gift set. I sprayed some on my wrist and was quite surprised- no florals per se, but there was something vaguely feminine about it. As it dried down, it was smoldery-sweet and woody, and I couldn't help but find my nose pretty much attached to my wrist. The price was better than most online stores, and I can't just get the notion of "damn, I really want this" out of my head... and considering it's been over 2 and a half months since my last fragrance purchase, I just might.

    I guess what I'm saying is I need a little shove in the back and some reassurance before I "cross the gender gap," as artificial as it may be.

    Besides all that, I'd love to hear from some Gucci Eau de Parfum owners and their thoughts on the scent. Also, I'd love to hear some of your other favorite "female" scents to wear.

    Thanks a bunch.

  2. #2
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    scents are arbitrary, but for some reason I can't shake the notion that putting on a female-labeled scent is akin to putting on a woman's thong for underwear.
    Hardly arbitrary - if it were you'd have to believe (as some do) that hundreds of millions of people are at the mercy of marketers whims. And I'd have to believe that my dislike of having any female scents on me arises from the brainwashing I received when I was a child (which never happened because hardly anyone wore them or discussed them those days)

    Regardless, wear what you wish.

    People pay a lot of money in therapy sessions to be told to go away and do lots of unconventional things just so that they note that the world doesn't fall apart, thus lowering their anxiety levels and increasing their self confidence. Wearing female scents can certainly be character building, especially if you are anxious and uncomfortable about it.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 17th March 2007 at 12:39 AM. Reason: An afterthought.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    Despite what the previous poster wrote--I think I understand what he is saying--but I tend to believe that policing the boundaries shows more anxiety about your gender surety than erasing them does, but I don't want to be prescriptive. Be comfortable with what you wear, and you'll wear it well, and more, importantly, you'll enjoy it.

    I tend to think of fragrances in terms of pleasure. I am sorry, but when it comes to olfactory pleasure, I'd as soon as smell a so-called male fragrance on a woman as on myself, and vice-versa. I pretty much wear what I like, and I like a lot of men's and women's fragrances. It's that simple for me.

    scentemental


  4. #4
    graffham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    2,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    I, too, have balked at crossing the line to 'the other side'.

    Recently I tried Nu by YSL after reading about other Basenoters experiences with it and although it did have some tendencies toward the masculine side, I found, as a male, it lacked the male sensibility though I tried desperately to make it mine, to find that male aspect in its composition.

    Please don't ask me to describe what that sensibility is as I don't have the Nu to make a thorough review. Let's just say it's why women don't wear Kouros, and why men don't wear White Shoulders.

    Maybe it's like when you smell Dior homme. You know it's been made for you. It's composition says it all, homme. Some do stradle the line, like Gaultier 2. But like a wind, it still blows toward the male side.


    There are, let's face it, differences between the two sexes and the more desperate I've been to make a purchase, the more desperately I've searched for other options, other avenues.

    And the more open I've become to the idea of wearing a women's scent the more I realize that, like Stuffman, the Gucci edp for woman has an itial allure about it but it just doesn't cut it. When I smell the Gucci pour homme it says it all, 'Why would you even consider her over me?'

    My retail observation is that as a North American market we have not been well served by the fragrance houses. Our choice in variety is limited when compared to European standards and our threshhold for something new is seriously discounted, seemingly predetermined by the EU gods.

    Basenotes has proven to be a wonderful and invaluable forum and I continue to learn a great deal about scents, their sensibilities, and the world of fragrance. Funnily, I would easily have worn the fairer sex's offerings without hesitation years ago. But after many purchases and years of wearing fragrances, I have yet to find a scent designed for women that can truly sway my olfactory radar.

    Now, I find that the richness of men's fragrances can stand on its own and I now appreciate the nuances that make men's fragrances 'Mens' and women's fragrances 'Womens'.
    Last edited by graffham; 16th March 2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo

  5. #5
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rusk
    Posts
    6,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    I, too, have balked at crossing the line to 'the other side'.

    Recently I tried Nu by YSL after reading about other Basenoters experiences with it and although it did have some tendencies toward the masculine side, I found, as a male, it lacked the male sensibility though I tried desperately to make it mine, to find that male aspect in its composition.

    Please don't ask me to describe what that sensibility is as I don't have the Nu to make a thorough review. Let's just say it's why women don't wear Kouros, and why men don't wear White Shoulders.

    Maybe it's like when you smell Dior homme. You know it's been made for you. It's composition says it all, homme. Some do stradle the line, like Gaultier 2. But like a wind, it still blows toward the male side.


    There are, let's face it, differences between the two sexes and the more desperate I've been to make a purchase, the more desperately I've searched for other options, other avenues.

    And the more open I've become to the idea of wearing a women's scent the more I realize that, like Stuffman, the Gucci edp for woman has an itial allure about it but it just doesn't cut it. When I smell the Gucci pour homme it says it all, 'Why would you even consider her over me?'

    My retail observation is that as a North American market we have not been well served by the fragrance houses. Our choice in variety is limited when compared to European standards and our threshhold for something new is seriously discounted, seemingly predetermined by the EU gods.

    Basenotes has proven to be a wonderful and invaluable forum and I continue to learn a great deal about scents, their sensibilities, and the world of
    fragrance. Funnily, I would easily have worn the fairer sex's offerings without hesitation years ago.

    Now, I find that the richness of men's fragrances can stand on its own and I now appreciate the nuances that make men's fragrances 'Mens' and women's fragrances 'Womens'.

    Holy shit. That's confusing. My girlfriend (beautiful, feminine model) wears a variety of feminine perfumes but also loves to wear Gucci Pour Homme and at least twenty other men's fragrances. I just posted a whole list of them on the women's board.

    If you're genuinely secure with yourself and have a broad based knowledge of perfume (many masculines makes better feminines and vice versa) you won't worry as much about the often entirely meaningless gender designations.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    A lot of fragrances have come out in the past 15 years or so where their designation as being male or female seem almost arbitrary. The recent trend toward unisex designation I feel is a recognition of this by the fragrance makers. There are a lot of fragrances out there currently designated as male or female which are really unisex. That being said my taste in fragrance tends toward the more strongly male fragrances like Yatagan, Santos and Bel Ami so I've yet to run across a female fragrance which really appeals. If I did, I wouldn't have a problem using it.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

  7. #7

    Default Re: Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    I must admit, I find some women's fragrances very wearable Donna Karan Black Cashmere is one. It's a fantastic romantic fragrance and it seems to add quite a bit to the overall experience of an intimate encounter with my GF('s).

    L' Artisans Tea for two is donned as a unisex, but I find it quite femme and also enjoy it quite well for the same reasons above.

    One of my ex Gfs wore my CK Obsession everyday and very well I might add.

    With my daughter's new venture, I've been privileged to sample other "Women's" fragrances and find many very nice...Prada, but I can't get past the milk note, Ferre femme reminds me very much of having been kissed by some bright red grossed lips.

    I agree very much with the above comments, Wear what you are comfortable with.

    Pluran, not only do I admire your taste in fragrance, but your taste in women is impeccable...nice avatar

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,683
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    Getting back to Stuffman's orginal question...

    I have sniffed Gucci Eau de Parfum from a sample...I found it incredibly powdery (on my skin), and really not for me.

    Having said that, I wear MANY woman's scents comfortably. Some that I would recommend are (in no particular order):

    Eau des Merveilles by Hermes
    Black Orchid by Tom Ford
    New West for Her by Aramis
    Mitsouko by Guerlain

    Good luck in 'crossing' the gender gap - once you're on the road to enjoying ANY scent (regardless of who it's marketed to) you'll realize how many wonderful scents are out there in the 'fragrance world' to enjoy!

  9. #9

    narcus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Knigl. Preussen
    Posts
    4,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Crossing the Gender "Gap"

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

    Having said that, I wear MANY woman's scents comfortably. Some that I would recommend are (in no particular order):

    Eau des Merveilles by Hermes....
    Any particular version of it? I am considering that one and Eau d'Hermes at this moment.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Similar Threads

  1. For Men, For Women, Gender Neutral...how to tell?
    By mamakat7 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th March 2008, 07:39 PM
  2. The recent shift in gender distinctions in fragrances
    By snifferdog in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 14th February 2008, 05:20 PM
  3. Silver Mountain Water gender vote
    By musky_monkey in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 27th September 2007, 11:07 PM
  4. Question regarding gender classification.
    By MonkeyManMatt in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th September 2007, 06:02 PM
  5. Musc Ravageur gender vote
    By musky_monkey in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th April 2006, 11:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •