Code of Conduct

Question Wedding fragrance suggestions

I'm getting married in Taos, New Mexico in July and am looking for a new fragrance to wear. I'd really like to find something that really conjures up memories for both me and my fiance of the place (mountains and desert) and time (summer). And I'd like it to be very unique, something that I could break out for special occasions. So, I figure I'm looking for something with dry, earthy notes... probably sage, wood (cedar, sandalwood, or something similar to pine, but no heavy pine-sol scent), and maybe citrus. That's what I came up with off the top of my head. If there are other notes I should explore, let me know.

Does anyone have any recommendations on fragrances to try that fit these characteristics, or perhaps remind them of summer in the high desert? I've got some time to shop around and find the perfect one, so I'm willing to entertain any and all suggestions.
    Last edited by pimpslap; 16th March 2007 at 06:31 PM.

Default Re: Wedding fragrance suggestions

Hi,
    You mentioned unique and special. In my experience here, "unique" often becomes less important than something that really smells great, does represent your personality, and isn't worn by everyone like Aqcua Di Gio or similar items. Then it's not $$$$.

But for something special, I wonder if this highly exclusive stuff would fit the bill:
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain

I'll have to admit, your nickname does not conjure marriage in any way.

Good luck!
    Dave

I second (he beat me to it) Cognoscento's suggestion.

Tauer's L'Air du desert marocain.
    Last edited by ajmc; 16th March 2007 at 06:53 PM.

Vera Wang & Vera Wang for men - good wedding associations

L'Air du Desert Marocain indeed.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento View Post
    Hi,
    You mentioned unique and special. In my experience here, "unique" often becomes less important than something that really smells great, does represent your personality, and isn't worn by everyone like Aqcua Di Gio or similar items. Then it's not $$$$.

But for something special, I wonder if this highly exclusive stuff would fit the bill:
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain

I'll have to admit, your nickname does not conjure marriage in any way.

Good luck!
    Dave
    Yeah, I actually added the "unique" sentence after I posted. I did mean "unique" in a non-mainstream, non-AdG way; not in an exclusive, expensive way. And the poorly chosen nickname is an ironic holdover from my youth, that somehow has been firmly cemented as my internet persona, go figure.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. I'm definitely looking for multiple suggestions, so I can find one that is "me". But perhaps the fact that two of the next three posts seconded (and thirded) your recommendation is telling. Also, what about Ouarzazate by CdG? It sounds like another spicy desert scent that I may try as well.
    Last edited by pimpslap; 16th March 2007 at 08:22 PM.

When I think July in New Mexico I would be looking for something which is cool and inviting (not cold and distancing!) with good longevity and a pleasing fragrance. It being your wedding day you are likely looking for something unique which will likely not be on anyone else at the event. What I'm going to suggest is a little bit of a departure from the notes you suggested but I think you will find them pleasing none the less.

Infusion (2003) by Bombay Sapphire
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123128.html

It is a Unisex fragrance so you both can wear it. It was only available in duty free shops as a gift with purchase when you were buying Bombay Sapphire Gin so the likelihood of someone else having it is slim. You can also get a bottle on Ebay at a reasonable price, about $15 for a 1oz (30ml) bottle, including shipping. To find out how it smells, without making a purchase, just go to your local watering hole and ask for a Gin Martini made with Bombay Sapphire Gin. Gin is basically a neutral alcohol with aromatics infused into it and water added for drinkability, so in a lot of ways it is a cologne designed for drinking. I get a full 8 hours of longevity with it.

By the way, congratulations!
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by pimpslap View Post
    Yeah, I actually added the "unique" sentence after I posted. I did mean "unique" in a non-mainstream, non-AdG way; not in an exclusive, expensive way. And the poorly chosen nickname is an ironic holdover from my youth, that somehow has been firmly cemented as my internet persona, go figure.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. I'm definitely looking for multiple suggestions, so I can find one that is "me". But perhaps the fact that two of the next three posts seconded (and thirded) your recommendation is telling. Also, what about Ouarzazate by CdG? It sounds like another spicy desert scent that I may try as well.
    I assumed as much about the ironic holdover thing, because your style and diction don't typify the bitch-slappin' type! (fortunately)

Sounds like the pressure's mounting for L'Air - give in to the peer pressure!! You must!

But seriously, I'm sure there are many alternatives. I know there are other "desert" invoking frags around. I haven't tried the CdG you brought up, but you can't beat that house for something that's definitely off the beaten path! The last one I tried, Man 2, was very nice, although I don't think it conjures your picture above. I will fail to mention what Odeur 53 reminded me of.

As to "Wang" having a wedding association... I'm sure Breeze means well, and did not reckon on producing the mental picture that I have right now!

Quote Originally Posted by breeze11 View Post
    Vera Wang & Vera Wang for men - good wedding associations
    Yup that's my pick...Vera Wang
    To Whom Much Is Given...Much Is Required

I think Sahara by Madini would be a nice option as well. Its totaly unique and much more complex than it sounds.

www.madini.com

Congratulations! What perfume is your bride wearing?

L'Air would be lovely - if you're after dry, earthy clean air, have you tried The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver? I think vetiver might be useful for that dry, earthy note you're after, and Sel de Vetiver is unusual and pretty special.

To be honest, I know that the Vera Wang wedding marketing machine is powerful and impressive, but I really think you could do better with fragrances for both of you - I've not been knocked out by any of the range. (For my wedding I wore Guerlinade; my husband had a brief spray of Guerlain Vetiver in the morning, but only wore a small amount because, bless him, he said he thought I smelled so nice that he didn't want to get in the way of it.)

Your wedding fragrance will be a fantastic reminder of the day for you in later years. I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'm sure that whatever you choose will fit you beautifully.

Maybe L'Homme Sage?

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    Congratulations! What perfume is your bride wearing?
    Good question! I guess I'd be interested in hearing suggestions on female fragrances for her as well. She typically wears floral citrus scents, but it might be nice to find a "signature" fragrance for her for the wedding as well. Not to hijack my own thread, but do you have any suggestions for her?

L'Air would be nice. IMO I would heed to what Squeezeweasel mentioned; whatever you wear...go light on it. Your bride is the one that others should note the scent on.

Have a long and happy life together.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Terre d'Hermes.

It fits your description perfectly, citrus, vetiver, cedar and gunflint...

Ellena designed it to reflect the earth, the desert, etc (you can find his promotional blurb somwhere on the net). It is easily in my top 5 fragrances, it's simply stunning, versatile and your wife will love it. It will fit perfectly with the weather. My only slight concern is that it is such a nice easy to like fragrance that you won't be able to keep it for special occasions! Is your wedding very formal, because it is not a very formal fragrance, more "semi-formal".

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    To be honest, I know that the Vera Wang wedding marketing machine is powerful and impressive, but I really think you could do better with fragrances for both of you

Your wedding fragrance will be a fantastic reminder of the day for you in later years. I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'm sure that whatever you choose will fit you beautifully.
    Ditto.

Other candidates I'd suggest are Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, Bvlgari PH and Dunhill Edition.

And for your wife? Buy her something special, amybe a parfum from Chanel's Rue Cambon collection (Gardenia or Bois des Iles) or Frederic Malle Iris Poudre.
    Last edited by Ged; 18th March 2007 at 04:02 AM. Reason: add
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime