Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver discoveries

I have tried to love vetiver, really I have!

I tried Annick Goutal and found it all medicine-top and salty stink...
    I tried Malle's interpretation, ala Vetiver Extrordinaire and found it uninspiring for the price...

Disenchanted, I had all but given up on the note entirely. Until today, that is... I received a sample of Guerlain Vetiver from a friend some weeks ago.

I wore it today in unseasonably warm weather and WOW!
    I loved it so much I bought the company, err, a bottle, I bought a BOTTLE...
    2.5 glorious ounces for $20 US at scentedmonkey.com....

All I can say is this:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Passage d'Enfer, and Terre d'Hermes will comprise my Holy Trinity this coming summer... Others will see action, but not nearly to the degree of these three....

I am so happy to have found a vetiver that I love, and can actually see myself WEARING!...

Thank you, once again, to basenotes for demolishing my pre-conceived notions...

There is always hope for the uninitiated...

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Dependent

Default Re: Vetiver discoveries

Guerlain's Vetiver Frozen (or Glacee) depending on how they list it where you shop is quite good also. It's has a pleasant cirusy top note and drys down to a vetiver that I think lasts a lot longer than the old reliable Guerlain Vetiver. I have both and plan on enjoying both this summer.

I followed pretty much the same pattern with vetiver. Held out for a long time, then tried VE and loved it after some time getting used to it. Then Guerlain's and I love it as well.

Basenotes Institution

Now I wanna try Guerlain Vetiver even more...I actually am very happy with the Hermes Vetiver Tonka I own (VERY happy I must say) but, at the end of a very intense Guerlain week, I'm itchin to try it.

Glad it worked out for you - I love when that kind of stuff happens to me (happened recently with rose notes...for me)

Yessssssssss!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

GV is one of the frags in my drobe that I never really mention amongst my faves, but I will always have a bottle of it and I probably use it more regularly than any other frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver, Passage d'Enfer, and Terre d'Hermes will comprise my Holy Trinity this coming summer...
    ...Then you really should try Adolfo Dominguez' Vetiver Hombre.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    ...Then you really should try Adolfo Dominguez' Vetiver Hombre.
    Do I ever second that!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

vetiver is sexy, especially to horses and cows!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Do I ever second that!
    AMEN!
    And sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    vetiver is sexy, especially to horses and cows!
    I didn't know that. But fortunately, they leave the roots for us!
    Last edited by narcus; 17th March 2007 at 11:30 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

wear cuir de russie to be popular around dogs and vetiver to attract livestock.

if anyone could make a seductive vetiver, it'd have to serge lutens, right? the funny thing about vetiver oriental, which really softpedals the vetiver, which is good, for me, is that it also reminds me a bit of latex or something synthetic. anyway it's the only vetiver scent I am likely to wear. recently got partial bottle of cdg vetiveru but am going to send it to ebay. it's great but not "me".

I'd also recommend Lalique's Encre Noire, which is an engagingly soft play on vetiver - though I wish it had a little more longevity and sillage - and especially the Ellenas' pair of inspired variations on the vetiver theme, Vetiver Tonka (Hèrmes) and Sel de Vetiver (The Different Company). VT has become my suitable-for-every-occasion frag - the hazelnut/vetiver combination is unique and very beautiful.
    Last edited by Morgan Creek; 18th March 2007 at 02:29 AM.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Wink Re: Vetiver discoveries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility View Post
    I have tried to love vetiver, really I have!

I tried Annick Goutal and found it all medicine-top and salty stink...
    I tried Malle's interpretation, ala Vetiver Extrordinaire and found it uninspiring for the price...

Disenchanted, I had all but given up on the note entirely. Until today, that is... I received a sample of Guerlain Vetiver from a friend some weeks ago.

I wore it today in unseasonably warm weather and WOW!
    I loved it so much I bought the company, err, a bottle, I bought a BOTTLE...
    2.5 glorious ounces for $20 US at scentedmonkey.com....

All I can say is this:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Passage d'Enfer, and Terre d'Hermes will comprise my Holy Trinity this coming summer... Others will see action, but not nearly to the degree of these three....

I am so happy to have found a vetiver that I love, and can actually see myself WEARING!...

Thank you, once again, to basenotes for demolishing my pre-conceived notions...

There is always hope for the uninitiated...

Paul

I agree with you on the Terre D'Hermes, OMG, I just tested it in Sephora's, on a paper strip & on me (I'm a woman, and obviously have different chemistry than a man) it is so sexy & manly to me. I brought home a sample for my son, I think this would smell nice on him, and he needs something to make the girls come over & sniff him. (he's shy) lol...