Code of Conduct

Default casual + dark, ala black t-shirts w/ jeans

I've been noticing that quite a few fragrances here have been described as formal, that the fragrances would be appropriate when wearing a suit for work or an occasion, or having a "night on the town." I'm one of those people who rarely dresses formally, so fragrances that feel overly formal wouldn't get much use from me.

While I usually dress casually, I'm also not the white t-shirt, cargo/board shorts, and sandals guy that would wear a light, beachy scent (which describes a lot of guys here in San Diego). I don't know if I want to smell like "clean," or a basket of fruit, if I'm wearing a black t-shirt and jeans, probably a mechanic's jacket (which is more my thing) to an indie rock concert or to a bar where I'll be shooting some pool. I feel like I have a start with some samples I recently got from MarkC, but I'd love more suggestions. Unisex or unusual are fine with me. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by tinfoiled; 17th March 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Made it better.

Default Re: casual + dark, ala black t-shirts w/ jeans

Azzaro pour homme. Perfect black t-shirt and jeans scent - rough masculine and retro. In fact, it would be unrefined to wear it with a suit. Apply it lightly at first. Use one spray at first wear - it great power and sillage. Read about it here then give it shot. I think it may be exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.suravionline.com/jeanpascal.htm

Send Maisonstinky (Vijay) a PM for a sample. I think that might be just what you're looking for.

Off-Scenter

You're describing one of my casual dress "uniforms" here ;-).

If you're willing to go niche, try sampling MPG's Parfum d'Habit, or for a different effect, L'Artisan Parfumeur's Mechant Loup. Both are controversial (often = great), and have lots of reviews on basenotes.

A good leather scent would work, too: Tabac Blond (it's not just for women anymore) or Etro's Palais Jamais.

Want sexy? Try Lutens's Ambre Sultan or Lubin's Idole.

Want testosterone? Yatagan, APPLIED LIGHTLY.

All of these are very, shall we say, "distinctive." Test before you buy!

Maybe Gucci Envy would be nice.

Costume National Scent Intense and CdG Sequoia fit that description.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by innamoramento View Post
    Maybe Gucci Envy would be nice.
    Gucci Envy is way too formal IMO. I can't imagine wearing this with anything but a suit. Never ever with jeans and a T.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
    Gucci Envy is way too formal IMO. I can't imagine wearing this with anything but a suit. Never ever with jeans and a T.
    Well I also think Envy is one of the best scent for daytime wear.

Luxe, $100 +: Serge Lutens: Santal de Mysore.
    Bargain version: Body Shop Woody Sandalwood essential oil. $14. - 1/2 oz. Brilliant quality essential oil, stays close to the skin for close encounters.
    Luxe, $100 +: Frederic Malle: Musc Ravageur. Budget Version: Kiehl's Original Musk - The perfect, retro 60's, sexy scent. Often at Marshalls for $19.99.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th March 2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Progress is good.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bvlgari Black yet.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Czech & Speake 88

jeans and black t-shirt is my uniform. i tend to wear what i want, when i want, not so into "formal" versus "casual" distinctions usually.

i think CdG Odeur 53 is my perfect scent, especially with boots (not tennies). motorcycle really plays off O53 too. I'd highly recommend it.

Others would be: Tam Dao, Cuiron, Nostalgia, Aomassai*, Chene, L'AdDM*, 10 Corso Como, Fumidus*, VE.

(* = on the strong side)
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

M7 or Rive Gauche - BUT - go easy - 1 spray should do it

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    I'm in agreement.

I recently got a medium size bottle of Chaumet Homme which was recommended by Scenteur7. I think it's an incredible scent. I think you might give this one a try if you can mange to get a sample and like it as much as I do.

Here's his review:

"Along the lines of Bulgari Black, but I hate to say it, much better!!!! This fragrance seems richer and fuller with notes of mate and sandalwood. I've noticed its scent reflects the wearer though! A great light scent for either men or women though definitely has a warmer more masculine scent, almost like incense."

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Czech & Speake 88
    What ajmc said.

Also try Fahrenheit and CdG Garage.

If you like the scent of evergreen forests try Yatagan or Polo (original Green). Santos is also one you should check out, though some think it for formal wear. I personally find Santos to be one of the best, if not the best very masculine scents and have no problem using it with casual dress. Tam Dao is a nice fragrance with primarily cedar and secondary sandalwood notes. Finally I would suggest that you look at Cumming the fragrance by Alan Cumming. It is a very earthy, smoky fragrance which I love.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by marcuccio88 View Post
    M7 or Rive Gauche - BUT - go easy - 1 spray should do it
    Yes both of these are outSTANDING designer scents IMO and can be dressed down. Rive Gauche is probably more versatile with regards to day/night and seasonal wear, however.

There have been some great recommendations on this thread already, mainly Fahrenheit, Costume National Scent Intense, and Gucci Envy.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Ambre Sultan
    Voleur de Roses
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

I second Odeur 53 by Comme de Garcons - or perhaps it's brother-scent Odeur 71. It's got a great metallic note in it, and it is VERY modern & edgy - I wear it out dancing, when I attend dance events in Miami.

add Halston Z-14 to the list - perfect with a black Tshirt, blue jeans and a leather jacket

Do you guys think Antaeus would be appropriate?

I always associate Rive Gauche with a black shirt. It's quite versatile so it can be worn casually or dressed up IMO.

Consider Obsession Night. This version of the classic is perfect for the look you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    I always associate Rive Gauche with a black shirt. It's quite versatile so it can be worn casually or dressed up IMO.
    I agree completely! ^

I wear Rive Gauche casually all the time.

Jacome de Jacome!

Try to consider Platinum Egoiste by Chanel.

Thumbs up Very Good!

Quote Originally Posted by ObsessionForMen View Post
    Consider Obsession Night. This version of the classic is perfect for the look you are describing.
    Great stuff for sure! Longevity is suspect on me. How about others?

Salvatore Ferragamo is similar, and is not mentioned much on this Board.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    HEE!! I was just about to mention that one in your honor, but you beat me to it!

Thrax

Black Cashmere

Smile Re: casual + dark, ala black t-shirts w/ jeans

Bvlgary black (ophs, someone has mentioned it)...
    CDG Tar. (Spicy Tar) Lovely!
    Lacroix Tumulte. (Incense, pine and cedarrr)
    Jungle Kenzo Homme. (Maté, Lime, Nutmeg)
    CDG Odeur 71. (The smell of the air before a rainstorm). argh, some has recommended this too.
    L'eau Bleue. (Nasturtium, anised, and rosemary).
    Rien ( Iris, incense and raw leather) / Nombril Inmmense (balsamic patchouli). / Vierges et Toreros (dust, flesh serum, woods & manly tuberose) all from Etat Libre d'orange. Those ones are bloody gooodddd!!!
    Try also the incense and red CDG series.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Bandit or DK Men/Fuel
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Rive Gauche and Drakkar Noir.

The first scent I bought for the lead guitarist in my band & also happened to be my boyfriend, was Gentlemen Givenchy. We were 22 yrs old, and it was very sexy & manly, but not too formal. My son never is formal, jeans, tee-shirt, long shorts etc. He wears Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, Michael by Kors, and Emporio by Armani, but I think out of all of them, LOLITA & Michael are the least formal.

I keep coming up with
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Emporio Armani Night He

Paco Rabanne Black XS was made for the black shirt and jeans

others from my stable which i would use are Fahrenheit, Bvlgari Black, Azzaro Visit, Micheal Kors, A*Men
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

What kind of jeans are you wearing? How fitted is your t-shirt? What's the weather like?

Honestly I look at these suggestions and none offend me, and none inspire me. I think that if you gave a list to choose from, that'd be one thing, but in general I think wearing fragrance is about confidence. Sure, there are some fragrances that might be less appropriate at times, and you don't want to be that guy that no one really wants to stand near, because they could smell you from accross the room and you know, etc etc.

Confidence, if only they bottled it.

zr0e, thanks for your questions/comments (and thanks to everyone else for these helpful suggestions). I'm 34, but I'm new to giving much thought to fragrances I'd wear. I'm excited about trying more and going beyond what I think most American men do, which is keep a single all-purpose bottle of cologne on the nightstand for occasions when they want to smell "good." However, I don't see myself ending up with a very large collection, which might provide someone with options for a different scent for each conceivable situation/outfit/weather/climate. (A big reason is $.)

So with this post I was shooting for a starting point for building a modest wardrobe more than seeking advice on a specific outfit on a specific day with specific weather. I generally dress casually, I generally wear black more than other colors, and I'm interested in scents people might think I'd come back to again and again. And since I haven't even tried many fragrances yet, the parade of suggestions here is quite helpful, especially in narrowing things down from the thousands of options. I wouldn't know what would make me feel confident without a bit of a road map of what "someone like me" should even try, first.

I can say this - out of the fragrances I have tried or bought recently (many because of a thread called "frags for the nontraditional new guy?" I started in the newbie forum), I have been most excited about L'Anarchiste, Visit, Salvador Dali PH, and Bulgari Black. Some of the ones suggested on this thread that seem most interesting to me at first glance are the CdG Odeurs, Rive Gauche PH, Scent Intense, and Jungle Kenzo Homme, but I still need time to look into many of the rest.

Thanks again to everyone (and feel free to add more suggestions to this or my other thread if anything comes to mind that you think I might like.)

-Rob