Code of Conduct

Default Finally going to bite the bullet - Retail GIT

I've received one fake bottle, returned it...

I've received one 3 year old, slightly evaporated and flat bottle...Used half

I've purchased from a favorite online retailer (Scentiments), only to receive a product with no date stamp, as well as a ground-off serial number, covered simply with a piece of black electrical tape...Returning it

So, I guess my only option is to go pay the $190 for retail at Neiman Marcus. The good thing is - They just cracked the case open today; the dates are all 2007, so I will know I'm getting the freshest of the fresh.

It comes to $201.40 out the door. I am really treating myself here, as far as I'm concerned! What better to do though, on SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: Finally going to bite the bullet - Retail GIT

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I've received one fake bottle, returned it...

I've received one 3 year old, slightly evaporated and flat bottle...Used half

I've purchased from a favorite online retailer (Scentiments), only to receive a product with no date stamp, as well as a ground-off serial number, covered simply with a piece of black electrical tape...Returning it

So, I guess my only option is to go pay the $190 for retail at Neiman Marcus. The good thing is - They just cracked the case open today; the dates are all 2007, so I will know I'm getting the freshest of the fresh.

It comes to $201.40 out the door. I am really treating myself here, as far as I'm concerned! What better to do though, on SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!?

Wow, that's some pretty bad luck. I have to mention that this is the absolute first time I've ever heard bad things from scentiments regarding their Creed (or anything for that matter). I happened to buy my GIT from them, and the year was 2003 (purchased last year), so a few years old but no noticeable difference from spraying it in various places (decants, department stores). I hope this was a one time screw up because they have been my favorite online seller so far.

I'm sure your decision to go retail wasn't simple, I just hope I don't have to make that very expensive decision in the future. You sound happy and relieved though, and I'm sure you'll enjoy this bottle immensely.

It should probably be noted that I've purchased Original Santal, Green Valley, Himalaya, and a 8.4 oz BdP flacon (along with probably half a dozen other frags) from Scentiments, all with great results!

Tape on the bottles? Sanded bottles? Missing serial numbers? - not with any of the others!

GIT is the one scent that commands such a high dollar, and is popular enough to be worthwhile to fake. It is this fact that makes all GIT so suspect to counterfeit and second-quality sale. I hate to even bring such a thing up, as I used to cringe when I'd listen to my ex-girlfriend whine about fake Coach bags and Chanel sunglasses.

Well, I'm off!
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Why does it matter if there is not date on it/or that the serial number is scratched off? If it smells legit thats all that matters. I mean if you like spending $200 on something you can buy at half the price at scentiments.com, than more power to you.

That's just the thing - they smell different.

I just got home with my new bottle and it is notably brighter, fresher, sweeter, and more resolute than the old ones.

I wish the retail fragrance experience wasn't so painful. I've found the most enjoyable purchases I've made are from great sales people at retail locations. Cars, clothes, and food all offer the best experiences at the retail level. The retail fragrance experience is so far behind other industries.

I'm sorry to hear you got a bad bottle from scentiments. I have ordered more than 20 creeds from them and they have all been fresh. Maybe I have just been lucky.

I don't blame you. I recently bit the bullet on a 75 ml bottle of MI. Based on the lot number, I guessing it's December 2006. BTW my next bottle of GIT will be from another authoized Creed retailer.

Unbelievable. I just received the same thing from FragranceNet.com. 4 oz. bottle--the flaps on the box were worn and bent, clearly indicating that I was not the first to open this box--and the serial # had been ground off and replaced, comically, with a strip of black gaffer's tape. As if a person wouldn't notice... Jeez! The juice here also smells tired and lacks "pop." Does anybody know if Creed voids these when they go out of date? How do online retailers end up with this stuff? It's frustrating to feel as though I've been ripped off.

Fragrance.net is notorious for selling old colognes, there are a lot better websites to but colognes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Fragrance.net is notorious for selling old colognes, there are a lot better websites to but colognes from.
    Make some suggestions!!

I thought Oliver Creed said older bottles are better?

My only experience with scentiments.com has been in purchasing
    a 4-oz. bottle of Creed MI. I'm quite sure it's legit. It did seem that
    the top notes didn't have quite the same character as what I sampled
    at Neiman's, but that may just be my memory. It was extremely close,
    anyway. I'm satisfied with the purchase and saved a lot of money.
    The stuff smells very good.

I suspect it's tough for scentiments to get their hands on good bottles
    of discounted GIT because it's in such high demand.

Totally worth it! This stuff's the bomb.

So much more aquatic-smelling, sweet, bright, crisp, etc. I can smell the ambergris. The floral quality is magnificent.

haters: back off! lol!

My bottle of Creed GIT 120ml arrived today from Parfumsraffy - it smells just fine but there is no date stamped on the back of the box. Also the box doesn't have any of the gold trim around the green velvet nameplate which I hear is characteristic of the genuine article. Also, I too have what looks like a piece of black tape on the back of the bottle towards the bottom - I presume this covers the serial number? I guess I'm really asking what the heck this all means and if I'm worrying unnessecarily? I probably am because I've heard very good things about Parfumsraffy both on this forum and others.

Many thanks,

Jamie

All the newer Creeds I bought recently,last year Original Santal and this year Original Vetiver and Virgin Island Water , at an official Creed dealer and they don't have dates stamped at the back of the box anymore.
    Not "scratched of, but no print at all.
    My MI and OV do have regular lotnumbers printed at the bottom of the bottle and a sticker on the box, like for example Chanel and Guerlain bottles. (In fact most designer brands).
    My VIW I bought recently doesn't have a date and as far as I can see no lotnr. either.

I guess the Creed company is fed up with the "date"questions"

So don't worry if there's no date on the box. The before mentioned fake Creed signs are more obvous. ( wrong lettering on the box, etc., etc.).

It's always smarter to save some more money and buy retail at an officilal dealer than than risk to loose your money on old stock, fake crap.
    Last edited by eric; 19th June 2007 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    It's always smarter to save some more money and buy retail at an officilal dealer than than risk to loose your money on old stock, fake crap.
    although with (i) the great price disparity and (ii) the generally good reviews from other basenoters regarding certain online retailers that stock Creed, it's a decently reasonable bet to go with the cheaper option. besides, most of the reputable e-tailers have return policies, something a number of people who have posted on this thread have taken advantage of.
    Can get (mostly mass market) miniatures on the cheap, inquire within. Will ship worldwide at cost.

1. Scentiments does NOT sell the same freshness of Creed as does, say, Neiman Marcus. There is a reason why the price is discounted...

2. Buying retail is the ONLY way to guarantee that the product is real and fresh.

I'm certain that you already notice a difference.

I plan on doing the same for MI because I suspect that mine, while legit, just is missing that sparkle that I think a fresh version will contain.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)