Code of Conduct

Default Will I like 'The Dreamer'?

I'm a new BN'er who is growing his collection pretty quick. I'm not afraid to make a blind by when I've done my research. You can look at my wardrobe and see what I have available (sorry, I haven't scored everything yet, I'm trying to get at least a few wearings in on each.)

The Dreamer (Versace) is on my to-do list, and may be my next buy. Will I like it? It seem's to be loved by many, and hated by the rest.

Some of my current loves are Gucci Envy - Guerlain Vetiver - Rabane X/S ph and ... my signature, B*Men (the depth and the resinous pine just sends me and my gf, and it lasts all day on me).

I also enjoy powderier orientals like the YSL Opium p/h. However I'm not sure if I'll get sold on Guerlain's Heritage. It's great, no doubt, but maybe not for me .. seems too "thick" in the middle, although I love the notes.

So... is "The Dreamer" for me? It's a small investment, but I hate to get it wrong.

FYI- It would take me almost as much in fuel to go smell it at retail as it would to by a 1oz EDT online.

Thoughts from everyone are appreciated!

Thumbs up Re: Will I like 'The Dreamer'?

From what you have written I predict that you will enjoy The Dreamer. When it was first released in '96 it must have seemed like it fell from outerspace. It's quite a loud fragrance, but not in an '80's way. And while it belongs in the same family as Mugler, Body Kouros, Gaultier, it stands on its own. The Dreamer is about tobacco leaves, iris and tarragon. I think the reason it's so divisive is that when you wear it, it more or less wears you.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Will I like 'The Dreamer'?

Quote Originally Posted by AceyMan View Post
    and ... my signature, B*Men (the depth and the resinous pine just sends me and my gf, and it lasts all day on me).

Welcome to Basenotes Aceyman!

I found The Dreamer to be very, very interesting, but beware overspraying! First time I wore it was a couple of chest sprays before bed and it woke me up several times during the night, becoming part of an intensly olfactory dream cycle! It was still very strong in the sillage department 6 hours later when I awoke. Nice, but a powerful presence, at least on me. I subsequently use about a half spray and find it just right.

You might also want to check out Geir by Geir Ness and in particular teflondog's review of it. It hits the nail right on the head as far as I am concerned. And don't let the negative reviews sway you from trying a decant of this amazing Edp for men. Judge this masterpiece for yourself...

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122029&page=reviews
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Default Re: Will I like 'The Dreamer'?

Asking if you will like the dreamer is like asking if you will enjoy gay sex. you won't know until you try hahaha jkjk

So now that we got the joke of the post out of the way... I would HIGHLY recommend trying this fragrance out before you commit. It is definitely an unforgiving fragrance in the sense that if you like you, you love it and if you don't like it, you hate it.

Dependent

The Dreamer is a great edt. The longevity is incredible. If you have the inclination you can get a sample from perfumebay.com. Look under miniatures and scroll down in the male fragrances. Do not hold me accountable if you end up with $100.00 worth of samples. Sample then buy. Keep the rest of your money for emergencys

I sound like someones dad? I am

You gotta try it (I picked up the 1oz. too fyi). And (not that you wouldn't anyway) be sure to wait out the topnotes. The drydown is very nice. Assuming you like it, you will have to decide when/how you want to wear it. In my opinion, The Dreamer is not an all purpose, all season scent - then again neither is B*men (which I also love by the way) and you are getting along fine there. Let us know what you think!

If you have smelled D&G Ph and Le Male, you will have an idea of how the Dreamer would smell like, at least initially. Its one of those sweet yet transparent tobacco scents but also much more. The Dreamer is an oriental scent, top notes have the most vivid tobbaco leaves smell I've ever come across, and the dry down is fantastic, wears close to the skin and not powdery. I don't like Le Male or D&G but this one is nothing short of a masterpiece in my list at least.

Hello!

I have tried The Dreamer and I get a lot of lemon and something fruity in the top notes. My skin tends to amplify fruit of any kind. Anyway, I tried this on my BF and it's not remotely fruity on him. I do like it. It's got a smokey dry-down and the iris is quite strong.

It's an assertive scent - actually quite sexy. My BF made the mistake of wearing it to work and all the kids (he's a teacher) went batty. His (male) flat mate also liked it. I like it. Kids like it. Men (some) like it.

I suggest you try it out - a sample or mini is in order! Try eb@y.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

try before you buy,
    come 2 the edge he said,they said we scared,come 2 the edge he said, they came,he pushed them and they flew.

Basenotes Institution

I loved The Dreamer when I first sniffed it and bought it. Halfway down the bottle, I thought it was TOO MUCH.

However, if you like 'powdery scents', you might like it.

I agree with the majority of the comments - try before you buy.

It's funny that I should come apon this thread after testing 'The Dreamer' for the hundredth time at the local fragrance counter.

God, I am hoping that I have an epiphany soon. After reading Chandler Burr's review several months ago, I went back to try it again and found some of his observations to be true-the 'smell of hay', etc. And I really want to like this beast.

They don't have samples of this anymore so the only way I will get an idea of whether it's for me is to apply a full body spray and go from there.

We shall see.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    It's funny that I should come apon this thread after testing 'The Dreamer' for the hundredth time at the local fragrance counter.

God, I am hoping that I have an epiphany soon. After reading Chandler Burr's review several months ago, I went back to try it again and found some of his observations to be true-the 'smell of hay', etc. And I really want to like this beast.

They don't have samples of this anymore so the only way I will get an idea of whether it's for me is to apply a full body spray and go from there.

We shall see.
    I'd say that if you haven't bought a bottle yet after 100 tests you really don't have a bottle in your future. It's certainly not what Chandler thinks about it that should be the be all and end all. If Jaques Pepein wrote a 600 page screed singing the praises of English Orange Marmalade it still would'nt change my mind about the vile concoction.There are Indian pickles who Indians stare at me in disbelief as I eat a half a jar full.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    If Jaques Pepein wrote a 600 page screed singing the praises of English Orange Marmalade it still would'nt change my mind about the vile concoction.
    YOU DON"T LIKE MARMELADE!!!!!! I'll be over in the morning with the doctor!

Dependent

Does the Queen demand that her subjects eat Marmalade?
    If it's any consolation my father loved the Orange Marmalade from Britain that had the turn of last century's design and fonts on the label.
    I have a good memory, it's just short.

Let me go out on a limb and say that I don't think Marmalade is even made in our country.

I like cologne

Basenotes Institution

I just tried 'Le Dandy' by L'Dorsay today, for the 1st time, and found it incredibly resembled The Dreamer.

Anyone else smelled both and agree?

The Dreamer just smells too bizare for me, and I have a small bottle
    I wish I had not purchased. The "mown hay" note clinches the deal,
    as that note just turns me off as blended here. Some on this board
    love The Dreamer, but I prefer to let him remain sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just tried 'Le Dandy' by L'Dorsay today, for the 1st time, and found it incredibly resembled The Dreamer.

Anyone else smelled both and agree?
    well....
    i have a decant of the dreamer that i can't swap away fast enough,
    yet,
    i just bought a bottle of le dandy.

which might just mean that they do have similarities, but where they DON'T overlap, i find the dreamer vile and the dandy divine.
    or,
    they don't resemble each other, which would also explain my disparate takes on them..

but smell is funny, you know.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)