Code of Conduct

Default My Day With L'Eau D'Issey

Our local Best Frag-Finding Store (Albertson's Food Stores, heh) received some new stock the other day, so I got to do a batch of sampling. The skin test batch was:

Gucci Pour Homme ($32)
    Gucci Envy ($30)
    Michael for Men (Kors) ($23)
    L'Eau D'Issey ($50)

My girlfriend's favorite was definitely Envy. I thought it was alright, but didn't really grab me in any dramatic fashion.

I was rather fond of Gucci PH, though after a bit of time it seemed to dry down to a faint salty-sweaty scent... I didn't personally mind it, but it's not a scent I'd go out of my way to exude. To her nose, it just smelled like rubbing alcohol.

Poor Michael didn't have a chance on me, it faded into near-nothingness almost immediately, possibly just overpowered by the other testers... It was pleasant enough, kind of a 'warmly sweet' scent. Kind of... plum-tobacco-leather?

Now the L'Eau D'Issey. It's been over 24 hours and a couple of showers and I can -still- catch a whiff of D'Issey on my wrist. This stuff has unreal monster longevity on me. As for the scent... Maybe I'm being sacreligious, and I'm probably just rather sensitive to the common notes, but if you put me in a room with L'Eau D'Issey and Guess Man I would not be able to snort out the difference beyond the longevity. Anyone else get this similarity?

Default Re: My Day With L'Eau D'Issey

Strange you mention both Guess Man and Issey! Small small world...because I own both of those and I had a similar experience...

I wore Issey Miyake to school the other day and asked my g/f what she thought it was. She said "Guess Man". I said "no..." she said "oh then it's issey miyake"

I can DEFINATELY smell the difference..even after the dry down... I don't get how people can confuse them!

First of all...top notes are different. Issey is floral/odd smell (probably that Japanese Yuzu stuff) and Guess smells like sweet fresh masculine apples.

The dry downs... Issey is woody/citrusy slightly with florals. Guess Man is sweet green smelling with some woods and citrus...no florals to me.

Smell again! put one of each wrist. they smell different but may share a common woody/citrus note?

They both get excellent longevity on me. The best two in my wardrobe with Platinum Egoiste not too far behind. Sillage for Issey is more at first, but when they dry down, sillage is about equal.

L'Eau D'Issey lasted 24 hrs on you? WOW!!!!

Even if i swam 100m in this stuff THEN wrung my swim shorts out over my head..

Id still have to dive back in.. 10 mins later..

TERRIBLE... TERRIBLE... duration on my skin!!
    Last edited by deck89; 18th March 2007 at 11:00 AM.

I'm similar to you Deck. It doesn't last on me either.

No, it lasts. Two words: olfactory fatigue.l

lol what does that mean?
    --------------------------------------
    From my observations, 212 has more sillage and longevity than D&G PH and L'Eau D'Issey.
    Last edited by ck__; 10th May 2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

All Issey's scents have longevity, they all begins with a blast at top volume and gradually soften through the duration. Anyone who claims L'eau d'Issey is weak - either bought a fake, with diluted juice or as Genvy5 said "olfactory fatique"!

L'eau d'Issey is too strong too long. It gives me a headache.

Issey is such a complicated fragrance that the wearer often gets, as someone pointed out, olfactory fatigue while wearing it. That basically means that the nose gets tired of the smell and stops identifying it. It doesn't happen with all fragrances, but certain ingredients are easy to get fatigued on, and Issey is such a brew.

Other people can still smell it on you, most likely. That's how "cologne guys" are made. They stop smelling their own cologne and then think they need to put more on, but everyone can smell them a mile away then.

i agree..... i dont know why, the first notes are so noisy and saturated that make it very unbalanced in the first minutes.... i really like the fragance but i cant stand it before 1 hr on my skin....