Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance for a 14yo Niece - Suggestions?

Hello all
    I am taking my niece perfume smelling next weekend with the aim of buying her her first perfume as a birthday present! In the excitement, I am also a little scared - where do I start with this olfactory clean slate? Of course, with some classic and obvious scents like Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, Hermes Eau de Merveilles... any other suggestions? It will have to be something from a mainstream house as very niche houses are hard to come by in Australia, but the possibilities could extend to lines like Annick Goutal, L'Artisan & Jo Malone. Look forward to your suggestions.

She loves music (popular and alternative), loves to play soccer and play the drums, but I wouldn't say she was a tomboy at all. She tends to wear clothing that looks more op-shop than Britney/Paris et al.

S.

Default Re: Fragrance for a 14yo Niece - Suggestions?

These came to mind first.

From Annick Goutal:
    Eau de Charlotte (gourmand, springtime Floral: cocoa, blackcurrant, mimosa)
    Eau de Camille (lovely green scent!)
    Petite Cherie (green, fruity scent: freshly cut grass, peach, pear)

From L'Artisan:
    Ananaz Fizz
    Drôle de Rose
    Mimosa pour Moi
    Verte Violette
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Well my friend is 15 years old and has.. Heiress by Paris Hilton, Paris Hilton for Women, Sunset Heat by Escada, Fantasy&Curious by Britney Spears, Pacific Paradise by Escada, With Love.. Hilary Duff, Ralph Lauren Cool, Juicy Couture, Princess, and Lucky You for Women.

Well that's all I can remember but my favorite perfume for ages 16 and under is Paris Hilton for Women. She'll like it for sure, unless she hates Paris.
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.

I suggest getting a little basket of samples and minis for her to try out. Why not a selection of the Invent your Scent minis from The Body Shop and some other minis and samples from other sources? I'm not sure were you live in Australia but there are some perfumeries and discount shops that sell samples/minis.

I would ask her opinion first - what would she like to wear? Just ask her. If you buy her a full bottle of anything without asking first you might risk getting her something she doesn't like. Or take her shopping and volunteer to buy the gift of her choice - that way she can chose her scent.

Good luck.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

as MysteryFemme said, the Body Shop Invent your Scent minis may be a good option...they're cute, and perfect for layering (which is something a young one always wants to do with perfumes!!)

as for 'mainstream' fragrances...it's always best to get something she really like, so definitely take her out for a sniff day (oh, that sounded awful!! lol)
    The 2 weeks before Christmas, I worked in David Jones, and saw a lot of people buying fragrances for young girls. The most popular, that I saw, were (in no particular order, of course)
    Sunset Heat by Escada
    Fantasy by Britney Spears
    Curious by Britney Spears
    Live Luxe by Jennifer Lopez
    Darling by Kylie Minogue
    Miss Dior Cherie by Dior
    Baby Doll by YSL
    Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton (although, you should be careful with this one for younger girls, as it contains pheromones)
    and pretty much any of the Anna Sui range

I hope that helps!! Let us know how the two of you go...

suggestions:
    Hilary Duff
    Red Delicious DKNY
    Coco Mademoiselle
    Cast a Spell
    Hanae Mori's Butterfly
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

How about Laura by Laura Biagotti?Coco Mademoiselle also sounds like a good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy_liv View Post
    as MysteryFemme said, the Body Shop Invent your Scent minis may be a good option...
    The 2 weeks before Christmas, I worked in David Jones, and saw a lot of people buying fragrances for young girls. The most popular, that I saw, were (in no particular order, of course).....hope that helps!! Let us know how the two of you go...
    (Good to see The Badger up and about again!) This seems like real good on-site advice!! Keep us posted! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I also agree that set of minis is a good idea.
    I can also reccomend:
    Chanel Chance
    DG Light Blue
    Davidoff Cool Water
    Ralph Lauren Ralph
    Lancome Miracle so Magic
    Lacoste pour Femme,Touch of Pink and Inspiration
    JLo Live
    Jil Sander Sport
    Current top five:JPG Classique,Chanel Coco,Lolita Lempicka EDP,Armani Emporio SHE,Opium

Basenotes Institution

I 2nd - Hilary Duff [try it...its pretty good]

i would recommend something in guerlain's aqua allegoria line. for example, yesterday i was sniffing duty free yet again (charles de gaulle once again screwed me over like the assholes they are, seriously i am never flying air france again if i can help it . . . ) and i found lilia bella to be a really beautiful, soft, young fragrance. i also liked herba fresca. i have pamplelune (ok a decant of it) which is nice too but not my favorite. also own mentafollia which is also nice but since it smells like mint and therefore not especially traditional i wouldn't buy it as a "first perfume" kind of gift. lilia bella is really nice though.

This is from a post on the "What did you buy for March" thread and is from RTamara: "Also small bottles of Vamp for myself and Love's True Bluish Light for my 14 year old. She loved the sample and it pleases me to think of her having such a beautifully crafted scent for her own."

RTamara is very knowledgeable and discerning.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My 14 year old daughter is currently in love with Lacoste " A touch of spring"..newly released I think.