Code of Conduct

Default Need recs on Tropical scents

I'm wearing Mahora today, which is quite tropical (with lots of frangipani)...
    Is anyone hear a lover of tropical scents? What are some favs?

I cannot stand anymore snow/sleet/freezing rain, I want to smell like an "island girl"! (just not RHODE ISLAND )

Default Re: Need recs on Tropical scents

Mine has got to be Songes

Smile Re: Need recs on Tropical scents

I personally don't like tropical scents, guess cause I've lived in Florida too long, and smell that all of the time, pretty much. I would suggest anything with Fig & coconut in it, or exotic fruit scents. (B&BW have quite a selection of those type of scents for less) From what I've read, J Lo has quite a few scents in her line like that. (can't stand her) Island by Kors, or his original, Michael. There's plenty of those kind of scents out now, just go to the Mall & test.

Blog Entries

Yay, time for another list! :toppie:

I cannot say that I am a true 'tropical' fan but I do have a few favourites that evoke this mood / feature notes considered tropical. Ylang-Ylang, Jasmine, Frangipani / Plumeria, Tuberose, Gardenia all blend amazingly well with my chemistry.

A few personal 'tropical' favourites are:

Guerlain Mahora
    (Lagerfeld) Chloe Narcisse
    Parfums Jamaica White Witch
    D&G Sicily
    Guy Larouche Fidji
    Guerlain Chant d'Aromes
    LUSH Ginger
    TBS Indian Gardenia (vintage)
    Aramis Havana pour Elle
    SL Fleurs d'Oranger
    Lagerfeld Chloe
    Guerlain AA Orange Magnifica
    Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera
    Dior Dior Addict Eau Fraiche
    Dana Classic Gardenia
    Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus (vetiver)
    Gres Cabotine
    Arran Aromatics After the Rain
    Dior Tendre Poison
    Guerlain Ylang et Vanille
    Diptyque Philosykos
    Davidoff Goodlife (Men / Women)
    Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis
    Ava Luxe Forbidden Fruit
    Naomi Campbell Exult
    TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Terracotta Voile d'Ete
    Crown Perfumery Matsukita
    Givenchy Ysatis (shower gel and body lotion only in summer)
    Diesel Zero Plus Feminine
    TBS Coconut
    D&G Feminine
    Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh
    Dior Dune
    Dana Tabu Red Heels

Last edited by moondeva; 18th March 2007 at 03:43 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I nice Tropical scent would be JLo's Miami Glow. The only one in her line that I actually liked. It has tropical fruits, coconut and really does smell kind of "beachy". I don't own this, because I really don't care much for tropicals, but it did smell pretty good! Worth a sniff I think!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Fragonard's Miranda is a lovely, lazy beachy coconut scent.
    Nirmala smells tropical to me and is fabulous.

Tommy Bahama is nice and inexpensive with notes that include Clementine blossoms, Cactus Flower, Bergamot, Hawaiian Tuberose, Frangipani, Musk, Exotic Woods,and Nectarines...it works out nicely over a layer of Hawaiian Tropic oil from the Rite-Aid.

Fracas is also very tropical IMO, as is Marc Jacobs Essence and that new one from Ellen Tracy.

Paradise by Alfred Sung is a lovely green tropical scent. It's a slightly different tropical scent because of the green freshness in it. Unfortunately, it doesn't smell nice with my chemistry but it's beautiful on the right person.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    I'm wearing Mahora today, which is quite tropical (with lots of frangipani)...
    Is anyone hear a lover of tropical scents? What are some favs?

I cannot stand anymore snow/sleet/freezing rain, I want to smell like an "island girl"! (just not RHODE ISLAND )
    (Know just how you feel - came to the beach from NYC via PA for the very same reason!!)

Like you I love Mahora (from a sample) - am thinking how nicely it would layer (are you listening Moondeva?) with Bain de Soleil!! (Do they still make that!) I would work it with Miller Harris Figue Amere ('cause I happen to have it) and almost anything from CdeS. (Trying to think of things you can get online and not have to go out in that nasty weather!)

From B&BW some coconut body butter with spritzes of Fuzzy Peach and Mango and a bit of citrus...lime or lemon (Jo Malone Orange Blossom?. Fleurs de Citronnier (SL) with some gardenia (Kai?) and/or frangipani?

Man!! Now I wanna do it!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Tinker,
    Hello to your lovely state of Rhode Island!

I've been hearing good things about Creed Virgin Island Water. I guess you need to like coconut.

Cheers, Dave

My favorites have been mentioned, with the notable exception of Montale Intense Tiare. Sweet, warm, huge! It would definitely put up a good fight against your miserable weather.

I do like tropical scents although I don't have a lot of experience in testing them. Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Coco is one that I love. Maison De La Vanille Vanille Divine des Tropiques is another. People have commented when I have worn Versace Crystal Noir that it smells 'coconutty' but I'm more aware of the gardenia in it. Tested a couple of the Chantecaille scents a while back and thought Tiare was a lovely, gentle breeze of a scent but Frangipane was not for me. Miranda, as mentioned by kewart, is one I wanted to try last summer and this thread has just reminded me of it, thanks.
    Tropical scents seem quite exotic to little old me because they are as close as I can get to beach paradise on a cold, rainy, grey Scottish day!

I love tropical scents!! i haven't tried too many, unfortunately. but the ones i have tried have been nice...at least, on me they're pretty nice & tropical
    Miami Glow by JLo
    Live Luxe by JLo
    Sunset Heat by Escada

oh, bum...there was another one, but i can't remember what it is!! i'm having a bad day today - horrible cold is affecting my brain function!! lol

hope you find something that makes you feel like an island girl

The only tropical scent I've found that I like (so far) is Montale's Intense Tiare. It's sooooooo good.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I know little about tropicals, but I've noticed tsunami-force reviews for EL's Pleasures Exotic.

Of course, as soon as I say I'm not in with the tropicals, a new interest will develop for them. That's the crazy thing about frag exploration, one day you think you're into only certain scents, then a little hankering takes you in a new direction. But that's all good.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Have a sniff of all of J.Lo's frags...they're very beachy (obviously Miami Glow is, but the others are too). I used to be snobbishly against JLo scents but I actually like most of them now. Also, someone mentioned TBS Indian Gardenia, I'm going through an obsessive moment with that right now, and it is very tropical. Oh, and of course, try Kai perfume oil and anything from Escada.

To my mind, you could go two ways with tropical - predominantly floral (lots of gardenia, hibiscus, frangipani, jasmine, with very little rose or other traditionally European flowers), or you could go predominantly fruity (pineapple, coconut, ginger, and other tropical fruits). It's up to you as to which way you prefer to go (or maybe you'd like a perfect mixture of both).

Serge Lutens Datura Noir

I also enjoy the tropical scents especially during the hotter months.
    This is a Tropical MUST WEAR list for me:
    Miami Glow - JLo (I suspect this is the most representable one)
    Frangipane - Chantecaille
    Tiare - Chantecaille
    Tropical Punch - Escada
    Songes - Annick Goutal
    Premier Figuier - L'Artisan
    Eden - Cacharel
    Bahiana - Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I don't wear tropical scents all that much, but the few I like are the Escada's limited edition summer scents (ex. Island Kiss, Rock'in Rio, etc.) and Coquette Tropique.

I hate to admit this, but I'm a huge fan of the Escada summer scents. They scream SUMMER to me...YES, they're fruity floral and girl and totally unoriginal, but I wear because I like, and I like them in the summer. I don't buy every year, I'm working off of Ibiza Hippie and Rockin Rio, though.

Pilar and Lucy The Exact Friction Of the Stars is very tropical (think Pina Colada) . As I've mentioned in an earlier post my Mom is smelling quite tropical in her new Brittney Spears Fantasy (think sweet pineapple). Good luck

Hi tinker:wave: I love tropical scents. If I found one with almond added, I'd be willing to get a case. There are so many now coming out in niche as well as designer's. Love that coconut, fruit, etc. Comptier Sud Pacifique has a vanilla like no other's and Vanille Abricot and Vanille Almond are my favorites. Creed has Virgin Island Waters, beautiful. I found Miami Glow, Carlos Santana, Pacific Paradise, at Marshall's and couldn't believe how nice they smell. I would love to move to Hawaii and just live by the beach and smell like a coconut.

Blog Entries

I think the whole 'fruity / coconut / tropical cocktail' is a very westernised, holiday visitor, stay on the beach view of the 'Tropical' vibe.

I think citrus, verdant greenery, dry aridness or high humidity with wonderful exotic florals and spice when I think tropical. My view is borne out somewhat by many of the perfumes that are actually popular in that area.

So tropical truly depends on what it means to you. Most of my friends and family from Jamaica prefer lighter fresh citrussy scents or translucent spicy florals. The men tend to favour citrus, aquatic and green (vetiver) colognes.

Check out the perfumes sold at Parfums Jamaica to see what I mean. I adore their popular White Witch - a wonderful sheer spicy floral, similar to Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps EDP. I hope to get a bottle of Khus Khus (vetiver) soon. I love both Guerlain Vetiver (classic) and Vetiver Eau Glacee and would like to see how this tropical interpretation compares.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Smile Re: Need recs on Tropical scents

My teenage daughter recently tested Ralph Laurens *Ralph Rocks*, it was very fruity and beachy. I liked it on her.

Another vote for the limited edition Escadas, such as Sunset Heat and Rockin' Rio.

Plus, try the Michael Kors line-- Fiji and Hawaii.

Wink Re: Need recs on Tropical scents

I also recommend J'Lo Miami Glow. It is really 'beachy' and was really long lasting.
    Another I have got which has a real 'pineapple' fresh twist is Mont Blanc Presence Dune Femme (mouthful!). Really nice and fresh. Think fresh linen dunked in pineapple. I loved this in spring.
    The Escada ones are good too!

Mahora, yay! Love that one.
    How about Royal Secret II. I got tropical fruits from that, too.
    Bain de Soleil? If it smells anything like the orange, oily stuff in the tube, that would be the epitome of tropical.

Great recs, thanks everyone!
    is it just me or are ya anxiously awaiting for the Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent too?
    that sounds like tropics!
    also that new Estée Lauder limited travel frag Emerald Green...

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Great recs, thanks everyone!
    is it just me or are ya anxiously awaiting for the Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent too?
    that sounds like tropics!
    also that new Estée Lauder limited travel frag Emerald Green...
    ME TOO!!!!! I wish they had a set date for release!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Mahora, yay! Love that one.
    How about Royal Secret II. I got tropical fruits from that, too.
    Bain de Soleil? If it smells anything like the orange, oily stuff in the tube, that would be the epitome of tropical.
    If only!! I meant the orange oily stuff!! So Biaritz!!!:bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    If only!! I meant the orange oily stuff!! So Biaritz!!!:bounce:
    God golly, doesn't that take you right to the beach?
    Wow. I can feel my skin frying--and smelling tropical. It was such a delicious scent.

Montale - Intense Tiare. It's so beautiful: vividly blooming gardenias and ylang-ylang, and rich creamy coconut milk. Just the the sort of thing to wear on a balmy evening, with a white floaty frock, shimmery tanned shoulders, and a flower pinned to your hair.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    God golly, doesn't that take you right to the beach?
    Wow. I can feel my skin frying--and smelling tropical. It was such a delicious scent.
    I remember that orange smell.

Oh—Ilang Ivohibe by Parfumerie Generale. It's a lovely creamy ylang-ylang sweetened with a little jasmine and warmed with subtle vanilla and musk... and (for me, anyhow) there's the faintest thread of fresh orange running through it that took me right back to a summer season working at a beach.
    Last edited by mænad; 26th March 2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Red face Re: Need recs on Tropical scents

Escada rockin rio is good and so are all of the incantos by ferragamo.

Basenotes Institution

Actually all of the new Estee Lauder re-issues are coming out in April, only a couple of days away and they include not just that new Azuree skinscent thing, but those 'Summer Fun' collections, which are redos of the Beautiful and Pleasures scents, in new floral bottles with summer notes (mango passion tropical fruit cocktail, pink grapefruit, orange and dewy green leaves)

Hi!! it's my first post here, Basenotes looks great so far!!

Anyway here are my suggestions, I agree with many already posted:

Escada - Rockin Rio, plus all of the Escada Summer editions
    Christian Dior - Dune
    D & S - Sicily
    JLo - love at first Glow
    Estee Lauder - Pleasures Exotic