Code of Conduct

Default Most masculine scents?

Looking for some new ideas for the most masculine scents. Along the lines of Vintage Tabarome, Santos, Quorum, Sybaris, Fendi, Trussardi. You know - heavy, masculine stuff. Nothing fresh or acquatic.
    Neal

Default Re: Most masculine scents?

If you are looking for masculine, you must have Kouros. One of my personal favorites. I swear that my chest hair has more volume when I wear that one.

But seriously, Kouros. Aramis is very nice as well, along with Tuscany and Havana.
    You are not your perfume.

Yatagan, Jacomo de Jacomo, Vendetta

I'd recommend giving Van Cleef and Arpels PH a try, as well as Creed's Bois du Portugal.

I second Bois du Portugal.
    You are not your perfume.

Michael by Michael Kors
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Off-Scenter

Thumbs up Re: Most masculine scents?

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Yatagan, Jacomo de Jacomo, Vendetta
    An enthusiastic second for Yatagan. Also Parfum d'Habit, Black Aoud, Aoud Cuir Arabie, Rebellius, and Palais Jamais.

I'll cast a third vote for Bois du Portugal, and throw in a mention for John Varvatos.

Arrow Re: Most masculine scents?

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui. The don't make them this heavy anymore!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th March 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: miss-spelling

I'll second Havana. I'll also throw in Azzaro Pour Homme, Jean Pascal, and DK Men.

Blenheim Bouquet (Penhaligon's)
    [...only female consumer I could imagine: perhaps Maggie Thatcher...]

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Blenheim Bouquet (Penhaligon's)
    [...only female consumer I could imagine: perhaps Maggie Thatcher...]
    I love, and second Blenheim Bouquet.

Rose 31, vetiver46 by le labo
    Lime Oud by Montale.

I fourth(?) Bois du Portugal and add M7 and GPH to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet View Post
    I fourth(?) [...]
    - -

I'll Nth BDP and Vendetta, and add both vintage taberome and santal noble

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Looking for some new ideas for the most masculine scents. Along the lines of Vintage Tabarome, Santos, Quorum, Sybaris, Fendi, Trussardi. You know - heavy, masculine stuff. Nothing fresh or acquatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Neal
    Chanel Antaeus, Pour Monsieur; Hermès Bel Ami.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Yatagan
    Kouros
    Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme

My personal favorites are:

- Yatagan (1976) by Caron
    - Givenchy Gentleman (1974) by Givenchy
    - Bel Ami (1986) by Hermès
    - Cumming (2004) by Alan Cumming
    - Polo Crest (1991) by Ralph Lauren (Sadly discontinued)
    - Polo (1978) by Ralph Lauren

I'll give a weak recommendation to Bois du Portugal (1987) by Creed. I personally find it half as masculine and two to four times as expensive as my other recommendations.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Smile Re: Most masculine scents?

I'm not an expert in men's fragrances, but I think one of the most masculine scents besides (Old Spice, my Dad wore that when I was little) is POLO by Lauren. That to me, is the epitome of manly. Alot of scents in the past 5 years or so, have been more "unisex" to me. Honestly, even women's fragrances have become more sweet & girly. I don't personally like too much fruit & sugar to my scents. (Blue Sugar for Men, come on now) I like a woman to smell like a woman, (not a young girl) & a man to smell masculine. Too much gender bending for me, but that's just me.

Just to prove my point, I went to the Men's Dept. at Neiman Marcus today, and asked the salesguy if they carried, Gucci Pour Homme, which I smelled real quickly the other day in Sephora's, and really liked. He said, "no, haven't carried that one in awhile." I said, it is very masculine & woody, and like it very much. I said that it seems to me, that most of the scents lately have been more unisex & less masculine. He totally agreed with me, and said he noticed that too, and didn't particularly like that either. That's life...
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 19th March 2007 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui. The don't make them this heavy anymore!
    I will second that. Can be bought cheap online as well.

I had, out of modesty for my preppy 80s existence, demurred on suggesting Polo green, but I'm glad someone else gave it the go-ahead. Its ubiquity is really its only downfall, I think.
    I also endorse Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, for which lately I feel as though I am on the booster club. The stuff really just stands alone, though.
    Santos de Cartier is pretty boss, also.
    I don't hear people talk much about Jo Malone's scents, but I have to say that the Black Vetyver Cafe is rather nice, in my opinion. Perhaps not an ideal summer daytime go-to, but at night? look out.
    Last edited by Oaksbluff; 19th March 2007 at 03:01 AM. Reason: wanted to add something

Red face Re: Most masculine scents?

I think many of the older scents were very masculine like pierre cardin, drakkar, lagerfeld, givenchy gentlemen. It's hard for me to wear them anymore like I used to. Am I getting less masculine?!

Modern scents that exude a lot of masculinity are

YSL Rive Gauche
    Gucci pour homme
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man
    Michael Kors for men

I also like
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Orange Spice
    Creed Tabarome
    YSL Kouros and Kouros Fraicheur
    Chanel Antaeus

The trick with these scent is - of course - not to spray huge amounts of it on your skin, but something like 2 sprays on your chest and then you're ready to go.

If we're talking about a refined gentleman's cologne then Baldessarini (original) and D&G pour homme would be my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    I think many of the older scents were very masculine like pierre cardin, drakkar, lagerfeld, givenchy gentlemen. It's hard for me to wear them anymore like I used to. Am I getting less masculine?!
    I don't think that you are getting less masculine, the fashion has gone away from men and women having distinctly different fragrances to more Unisex fragrances. Even a lot of the scents which are labeled for man or women have relatively weak gender bias and could just as easily been labeled unisex. If you wear something which is strongly masculine or feminine you get labeled as having that old man or old woman smell. Fortunately fashion is a cycle and what is old will be new again and what is new will be old.

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow View Post
    Michael by Michael Kors
    yea have to agree...wearing that as my SOTD actually...
    --------------------------------------
    just sprayed patou pour homme on my wrist ten mins ago for the first time... def masculine...

what an exquisite scent!!!!
    straight into my top5!
    Last edited by yonggoh; 19th March 2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Smile Re: Most masculine scents?

Quote Originally Posted by oolong View Post
    I don't think that you are getting less masculine, the fashion has gone away from men and women having distinctly different fragrances to more Unisex fragrances. Even a lot of the scents which are labeled for man or women have relatively weak gender bias and could just as easily been labeled unisex. If you wear something which is strongly masculine or feminine you get labeled as having that old man or old woman smell. Fortunately fashion is a cycle and what is old will be new again and what is new will be old.
    I do agree with your statement, but that doesn't mean that is good either, I wear some "older" scents, but I started wearing them when I was in my twenties, so...I think, like I've said many times, whatever you like is fine, but I do think that alot of the fragrances today don't make a statement. I personally, don't want to smell like a teenager or do I want a man to smell like a woman, but I grew up in the sixties & seventies, and back then, things were not as open in the gender bending arena. (except for David Bowie, he shook things up quite alot) When I smell a man walk by me, and he's wearing something "masculine", I say, MMMMMMM.... I smelled Gucci Pour Homme yesterday, and that is quite masculine, but yet I really liked it too. Would I wear it myself, probably not, but I sure would like to smell that walking by...

Aqua di Cuba
    Burberry London
    Bvlgari PH
    Cuiron

Mazzolari´s Lui is defenitely one of the most masculine scents ever made, followed by Caron´s Yatagan, Crown´s Sumare, Dior´s Jules and Hermes´ Bel Ami!

I like Bois du Portugal, Patricia de Nicolai's New York (twin fragrances, really) and Egoiste!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

RELAX by Davidoff:masculine and heavy.Spray just once and you have possibly overdone with it .
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I would think these qualify:

Havana for Men
    Havana Reserva
    Montana Parfum d'Homme (Original)
    M7
    John Varvatos
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Second Mazzolari Lui - this one's for the Nietzschean Über-Man. Brilliant stuff, and less "dated" than 70/80s leathery chypres. Of course, if you're into those, and you should be, these have not been mentioned, I believe:

Desprez 40 Love ("you're a dirty dirty man. Now do that to me again"). Pure testosterone is like skimmed milk in comparison.

Capucci Punjab: powerful chypre with oriental leanings. Swashbuckling.

Léonard pour homme. Gloomy clove, but quite masculine

R de Capucci: suave masculinity with rose and leather

Balenciaga Portos: a classical chypre

Gigli Sud Est: related to Yatagan, herbaceous powerhouse

Ricci Phileas: a more civilized version of yatagan, still quite manly

Crabtree, Sienna: rich and spicy, cheap alternative

Jacques Bogart, Furyo: unique

Piguet Cravache: masculine Patchouli

Royall Spice: just that, pure masculine Errol Flynn spice. Brilliant.

Some newer greats:

Nicole Miller for Men (leather)
    Tabarome Millesime (ginger, tobacco)
    de Nicolai New York (sophisticated oriental)
    Divine L'Homme Sage (dito)
    Richard James Edt: masculine suede-florality
    Villoresi Vetiver, Uomo, Musk, Spezie, Piper Nigrum. Perhaps not unequivocally macho, but unique and masculine in their own way.
    Tauer, Lonestar Memories. an update on birchtar leathers
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Hmm...[reminding myself that this is all subjective] can a scent that smells great on a woman qualify as one of the most masculine scents?

I agree with all the following that have been mentioned as very masculine scents

DK Men
    Kouros
    Trussardi Uomo
    Romeo Gigli Sud Est
    R de Capucci
    Havana
    Antaeus
    Givenchy Gentlemen
    Drakkar Noir
    VCA PH
    Yatagan

Not yet mentioned, but possibly qualifying

YSL Jazz
    Bogart One Man Show
    Balenciaga Ho Hang
    DK Unleaded
    Halston Z-14
    Agua Brava
    Sung Homme
    Dunhill (original)

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Dior´s Jules
    ... at last ! That one to me is the manliest fragrance.

I also agree with Ralph Lauren's Polo, Givenchy Gentleman, Guerlain Vetiver (the original one), Serge Lutens Chêne, Azzaro Pour Homme. Yeah. Azzaro Pour Homme, actually THAT is the manliest one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger View Post
    I do agree with your statement, but that doesn't mean that is good either, I wear some "older" scents, but I started wearing them when I was in my twenties, so...I think, like I've said many times, whatever you like is fine, but I do think that alot of the fragrances today don't make a statement. I personally, don't want to smell like a teenager or do I want a man to smell like a woman, but I grew up in the sixties & seventies, and back then, things were not as open in the gender bending arena. (except for David Bowie, he shook things up quite alot) When I smell a man walk by me, and he's wearing something "masculine", I say, MMMMMMM.... I smelled Gucci Pour Homme yesterday, and that is quite masculine, but yet I really liked it too. Would I wear it myself, probably not, but I sure would like to smell that walking by...
    With any fashion there is always good and bad. By its very nature fashion tends to go to extremes. Going for extreme differentiation of the sexes with fragrance has just as many good and bad aspects as minimizing the differentiation between fragrance for the sexes. If there was a clear answer that everyone could be happy with, fashion would stand still, which in and of itself has problems ;-)

That being said, based upon the current context of where fragrance fashion is, I would prefer a greater differentiation between fragrances for the sexes. In a different part of the fashion cycle, my opinion would likely be different. What direction you would like to go all depends on where you are.

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Cartier Declaration

I disagree with those who said M7 - it's good for men, and I wear it, but I find it's better on women.

I think Zino by Davidoff is a real man's scent that no woman could get away with!

Equipage by Hermes is also very man, one of the best in my opinion.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

These are some from the most 'macho' section of my 'drobe:

Trussardi Uomo
    Tuscany Forte
    Aramis
    Azzaro PH
    Azzaro Chrome
    Lauder for Men
    Boss Number One
    A&F Woods

Cool Re: Most masculine scents?

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    No, your just being persuaded to go with the times & trends & join in on what's hot now. Which is okay, if you really like the new scents. There's nothing wrong with having the classic scents & some newer ones in your collection, but some people (men & women) feel that wearing the older fragrances, even though they like them, make them "outdated." I say BS to that! I, so happen to like the older fragrances somewhat more than the newer ones, I also like "classic rock", does that make me outdated? If so, who cares? I'm smelling good & lovin my music*

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I disagree with those who said M7 - it's good for men, and I wear it, but I find it's better on women.
    I have to agree with your observation on M7. It really does work better for a woman then a man. At best I would describe it as Unisex.

Eau Sauvage, Bel Ami, Equpage, Santos, & Pasha.

Arrow Re: Most masculine scents?

Body Kouros

Opium edt

Musc Koublai Khan

Montale Royal Oud

Rocha's Moustache
    and
    Loewe's Esencia

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Loewe's Esencia
    Excellent choice... I forgot about that one!

From my 'drobe:

Aramis
    Kouros
    Havana
    Antaeus
    Fendi Uomo
    Versace L'Homme
    Bogart
    Gucci PH
    Quorum
    Pino Silvestre

Basenotes Institution

Hey - noone's mentioned Grey Flannel by Geofrrey Beene

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Hey - noone's mentioned Grey Flannel by Geofrrey Beene
    Like this one very much, very masculine, but not that "green" smell, if I remember correctly, bought this for ex husband, I don't think he got it though...

Moschino Pour Homme Same family as Aramis but not as heavy.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH