Code of Conduct

Talking This thread is NOT for Creed-haters!

Let's talk about it here, that way the haters can stay out if they want!

I've been "into" fragrances for a year or so now, I've spent two grand refining my collection into something I'm severely proud of. (even not having experienced the majority of the supposed upper-eschelon of "niche") I suppose my interest, loyalty, and obsession, if you will, with Creed has come to be for several different reasons. I find an amazing amount of depth, richness, nostalgia, class, snob-appeal, and character in their fragrances, each one of which presenting itself as a unique and interesting idea, waiting (like any other piece of art) to be fully understood and appreciated. The names and smells of the scents bring to mind, and are reminiscent of kings, royalty, privledge, wealth, tradition, and prestige. It is made for kings and smells like it.

I own:

Green Irish Tweed
    Green Valley
    Bois du Portugal
    Original Santal
    Royal Delight
    Himalaya

I have samples of (and therefore, am familiar with):

Vintage Tabarome
    Acier Aluminum
    Cypres Musc
    Royal Scottish Lavender
    Royal English Leather
    Royal Water
    Silver Mountain Water
    Virgin Island Water
    Zesty Mandarine Pamplemousse
    Millesime Imperial
    Bois du Santal
    Erolfa
    Santal Imperial

I'm thinking of buying:
    Millesime Imperial, and plan on it as my next purchase
    Vintage Tabarome, but might not wear it much. Special occasion comfort scent
    Royal English Leather, but again, might not wear it much. That's the thing about some of these leather scents: Smell unbelievable, but can't find the occasion
    Cypres Musc, which in essence, smells like a very clean public bathroom, in the middle of the most beatiful pine forest in winter.
    Royal Scottish Lavender, but got turned off after smelling how much more spicy it was when sprayed from a big bottle.
    Bois du Santal, what an exquisite sandalwood scent. There's nothing more to say. It's BdS vs Santal Noble for the sandalwood spot in my wardrobe.
    Royal Water, which simply put: smells like Creed. A simple and clean set (of notes) that I find in many others. All other Creeds are built upon this, imo (not really).

So let's see: that's 13 of them that I feel I cannot live without. They're doing something right over there at the Creed house, as far as I'm concerned. I think I've tried just about all of the others at the store as well. I'm curious about Epicia and have briefly tested it, but they are out @ neiman's. Selection Verte was very good, as was Baie de Genevrie (<--I know thats spelled wrong!) Cuir de Russie (also probably spelled wrong) was another one of those nostaligic leather scents. What is it about those leather scents that makes me feel like I used to wear them in another life time? I guess it's a good possibility, considering that they've been making them since 1780!

I'd like to hear about your collection and its significance. I'd also like to see who has the most of them! Does anyone own them all?! If I were rich......Not only every Creed, but every fragrance!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 19th March 2007 at 03:37 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: This thread is NOT for Creed-haters!

I wore Imperial yesterday. I've owned many Creeds. My current line-up is:

GIT
    Himalaya
    SMW
    OS
    Imperial

GIT is my favorite. Himalaya and MI are a toss-up for second.

I will have to have Virgin Island Water when I hit 200 lbs. on my diet. That'll be my reward. 15 pounds away...

Imperial is a scent I enjoy, but I don't know that others really like it on me. Four sprays seem fine to me, but I may need to up that to 6.

I adore Cuir de Russie and Orange Spice, both of which I have given as gifts but do not own myself. I would like to have them and would wear them with love.

My own Creeds are:
    Spring Flower
    Royal English Leather
    Fleurissimo
    Green Irish Tweed
    Original Vetyver
    Silver Mountain Water.

I confess to not weraing all of them these days, but only because I have the pleasure of so many other perfumes. With the exception of Fleurissimo (what was I thinking?- Jasmine is not for me) I still love them all. I have recently fallen back in love with Royal English Leather, so I think I might bring that back into the fold.

Where to start? Creed is my favourite house. I mostly like the older ones (EDTs).I find them to be constructed from a few high quality notes with minimal clutter.

Bois de Cedrat (very natural lemon and wood), Selection Verte (the best blend of mint and citrus I have smelled), Chevrefeuille Original (wierd but excellent honeysuckle, spearmint and green-ness), Citrus Bigarrade (criminally underrated and imo much better than Malle bigarrade) , Santal Imperial (this is what mysore santal smells like) , Royal Scottish Lavender (just perfect blend of lavender and vanilla) fall into this catagory. All, in my opinion, the very finest of their type.

Epicea is a good pine but I don't like pine scents much. Old vetiver is quite good, I actually need to sample it again as mine has run out. Orange spice is very good but not my style. I have never smelled ambre cannelle or baie de genievre .

Angelique Encens and Acier Aluminium are my two favourite Ambergris/Vanilla scents. Very warm and inviting, and each with different components which make them special. Angelique has to be smelled to be believed, the herbal flowers are quite something; subtle and beautiful.

The leathers are both very fine but not my thing, I don't feel happy wearing leather. I prefer Cuir de Russie which has a more casual feel. Royal English just smells too much of leather.

Of the Millesimes, I rate Neroli Sauvage, Tabarome Millesime, Original Vetiver very very highly. Millesime Imperial I like a lot too. Bois de Portugal smells fantastic but it never seems right to wear it. Himalaya and GIT I like less (but they are still ok, I wear them sometimes) . I don't care for silver mountain water (cluttered, inky), royal water (strange fruity notes), royal delight (not my style), green valley (just a bit weaker compositionally i.m.o. not GIT or SMW but something of each) or erolfa (synthetic smelling aqautic note) much. I may ocaisionally wear them from a sample. Original santal I dislike.

What have I left out? Cypres Musc is so good, I almost want it despite not liking pine scents.

I think that's all the mens/unisex ones?

I am quite happy to go into much more detail on any of these, should anyone want me too.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 19th March 2007 at 04:44 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I live in Australia where the full range of Creed scents is hard to find.

In the order I most like, I've got
    GIT (3 Bottles)
    Himalaya
    Erolfa
    Tabarome Millesime
    SMW
    Original Santal

I've got samples of Baie di Genievre which I'm in two minds about - I've disliked it for two years, just tested it now and it didn't seem too bad.
    I've never been a fan of MI - not particularly masculine nor long lasting.
    Original Vetiver didn't grab me much either.

Obviously I like Creed stuff - hopefully I'll be able to check more out on my next European trip.
    Renato

To date I only own Royal English Leather, and I absolutely love it. I don't need a special occassion for this - I'll wear it whenever the fancy takes me!

Well now, I've sampled over a thousand fragrances, and including multiple bottles, vintage juice in various concentrations, etc, have spent well over $30,000 on them. I own 16 bottles/flacons of Creeds. I like many of them, love a few, but am not nearly as fanatical about them as I once was.

In sum, they're well-bred, hale, clean, often relatively charming, very wearable, but rarely possessing the attributes needed to be given the designation of masterpiece. Angelique Encens is worthy of it although it's not one I frequently wear.

My favorites remain Vintage Tabarome, Millesime Imperial, and Bois du Portugal.

I have a high degree of respect for the house. Nobody is going to love everything from any house with as much diversity as Creed. My introduction to Creed was quite less than memorable (yet I remember it like it was yesterday). The experience wasn't good, but that was mostly due to my ignorance about what to expect.

Since then I've sampled Origial Santal, Vintage Tabarome, BdP and a couple others and I've only purchased BdP (twice). Someday I'll make an effort to sample many others, but right now I spend most of my "frag time" trying to secure stuff I like which has either been discontinued or is hard to find.

Regarding the GIT thing...I was introduced to Kiton Men (GIT lite) and 99 Regent Street (GIT Junior) and like them both very well. Who knows, maybe someday when I grow up, I'll learn to like GIT too!

I really enjoy Original Vetiver and Erolfa and own both.

It came down to Heritage and BDP, and I chose Heritage. But I really
    like BDP as well.

The only other Creed I would own is Millisime Imperial, but due to it's longevity
    issues on me, I cannot justify a purchase.

There is a quality to all the Creed frags for sure, and I really like the bottles.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 19th March 2007 at 05:36 PM. Reason: I can't type!!!! :)

I do like my Creed fragrances, which are:

Acier Aluminium
    Bois du Portugal
    Erolfa
    Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya
    Original Santal
    Silver Mountain Water

I started to buy them one year ago when I suffered from "Creedomania". The last time I bought a fragrance from them was in September 2006 (Acier Aluminium). Since then my enthusiasm has vanished a bit; I feel attracted to other houses (especially Serge Lutens).
    For me most of the Creeds represent an "architype". I associate the following:
    Acier Aluminium - "over the top", wildly romantic, "special" (for concerts, at the opera etc.)
    Bois du Portgual - authority, strength, rush forward, power, control
    Erolfa - relaxed casual wear, natural
    Green Irish Tweed - (unreflected) elegance, works in all cases
    Himalaya - contemporary coolness, "worldliness"
    Original Santal - being very gentle with a girl (oh...)
    Silver Mountain Water - like OS: for use in bedroom only...

Nice thread!
    Steffen

Cool Re: This thread is NOT for Creed-haters!

I got into fragrances via Creed (like quite a few others here on Basenotes I believe) and then mostly stayed in the "niche" fragrance arena, trying out lots of decants and samples from the likes of MPG, Bond, Montale, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, etc...all the much talked about niche houses really. Its only recently (well an year ago) that I have dabbled in offerings from Chanel, Guerlain and Hermes (the classic houses).

But Creed was my first and set the bar quite high. Its my favorite house - I find a very happy balance here. Most Serge Lutens/L'Artisans/MPGs are "atmospheric" scents - i.e., smells which I dont necessarily want in contact with my body, but they do well as home sprays. Creed makes fragrances which I want to smell on my body, close to my body. With that said, heres a (fast run down) of my impressions:

Angelique Encens - good stuff, but maybe I am not getting the magic here. Can be too powdery at times. Women at other blogs rave about this one. I dont (but i am not a woman, so maybe women like it more than men?).

Vintage Tabarome - Superb tobacco scent. Classic, distinguished, and strangely fresh and deep at the same time. I prefer it to the harsher Tabarome millesime.

Millesime Imperial - The gold standard (pun intended) for fresh-fruity-aquatic scents. Has that very addictive salty-melony accord which I so crave.

Green Irish Tweed - another staple, another classic. Imitated many times, never bettered. My earthy violet fix.

Santal Imperial - I had a bad decant of this one. Hated it. Got a fresh decant. Its astoundingly good. Probably the finest sandalwood scent, it displays a fantastic sandalwood note with a minimalist supporting cast. After testing almost all the big name sandalwood scents, this is the one I reach for most of the times.

Acier Aluminium - superb "fruity" amber spicy scent, which has a haunting metallic note which peeks out occasionally. A star in the Creed line up, this is the lutens spicy-sweet-fruity thingy done the way I want.

Bois De Cedrat - excellent citrus notes, an old old classic. Stands out less now because the basic formula has been imitated often. Still, must have made an important contribution way back in the day.

Orange Spice - a strange mix of cloves, spices and oranges. I like it. Kouros used this as a template for top notes and did more.

Selection Verte - a startling mint note, cool crisp citrus, and a vegetal pea note. Amazingly refreshing, and I would love a flacon.

Royal Scottish Lavender - the gold standard lavender. Like Santal Imperial, you get a high quality lavender note with a small supporting cast of notes. I am yet to smell a better lavender scent.

Cuir De Russie - hot dirty slightly salty and very realistic leather, which despite the description is strangely very wearable. Addictive and leather fans should try it.

Royal English Leather - superb, simple, yet highly effective mandarin and leather composition. A must try for leather fans, I see strains of this in another classic, Chanel Cuir De Russie.

Royal Delight - an intriguing composition (that "scotch tape" accord), but a little too sweet for me. I like the leather in the base.

Cypres Musc/Epicea - just recently compared these. Prefer Cypres Musc - smells more natural than epicea. Need more time for deeper comparisons.

Citrus Bigarade - excellent citrus. Love the very natural sharp top notes and the more muted base. Inspiration for Malle's Cologne Bigarade.

Neroli Sauvage - superb neroli interpretation. A favorite of many. Very few neroli's are better.

Erolfa - I am not into pure aquatics anymore, but this is the best I have tried. Salty aquatic note made wearable via liberal use of citrus. Good stuff.

Original Santal - less impressive than Santal Imperial, I do get the sandalwood in here, but its now clouded by orange blossom and coriander ("a modern intepretation"). I wear it a lot, but I prefer Santal Imperial.

Himalaya - this one gets me lots of compliments. Wont win any awards for groundbreaking perfume design, but it works extremely well and it does smell like "fresh mountain air" (when not used heavily).

Well that should do it for now - so yea, there are definitely quite a few classics in there, and lots of variety.
    Last edited by zztopp; 19th March 2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typos, formatting, etc
    -

Nice characterizations. I must say that this is a House the self-presentation of which borders on the farcical IMHO - but that's not untypical of certain family businesses. They do overstate their importance to perfume history in an amost campy fashion. But all this is forgotten in view of their fabulous creations, the classics, as well as a number of Olivier's which are up there with the very finest in perfumery.

Of those I own, 5 stars go to
    REL - an incomparable, luxurious, oriental leather. nothing dirty here, just magnificent opulence

Baie de Genievre - Juniper and cinnamon leaves. Such a timeless beauty, I have yet to find a more wearable rendition of juniper, capturing its fresh power while avoiding cloying, throatscratching or sourness.

BdP - clear sharp smoky woods under a sharp lavender top, smoking embers in a crystal clear autumn landscape

Bois de Santal (decant): straightforward powerful sandalwood. Brash, energetic, foody, quite a contrast to the quietly pleasant Santal Imperial

4 stars:
    Royal Delight, Tabarome Millesime, Santal Imperial (it's grown on me), Néroli Sauvage. Epicea (decant)

3 stars:
    Angelique Encens:still working on this
    Ambre Cannelle: pretty good, but too thick for me

The only two I have not liked are Royal Water, which I sold off, and MI, which I just don't get.

And I'm looking forward to Acier Aluminium, which is one the way.

Is this a great house? It sure is. I just wish they would let their fragrances do the talking.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Great post...great perfume house. I've sampled many and bought:

Acier Aluminum
    Silver Mountain Water
    Millesime Imperial
    Erolfa
    Himalaya
    Bois de Cedrat
    Neroli Sauvage
    Baie di Genievre
    Green Irish Tweed

For me the thing that makes this house great is that they have produced SO MANY quality fragrances. While I enjoy many scents from many houses, I don't think anyone else comes close with regard to the number of winners, many of them that have withstood the test of time.

Have a great evening all...

Creed essentially sent me down the road of loving and enjoying fragrances as a hobby. Previously, I had been wearing that Axe crap, then moved on to my first "fine" fragrance (I use the term fairly loosely), Ferrari #1. After that was depleted, I began searching the internet for something new and special. I came across Basenotes, where glowing reviews for Creed abound. I wanted something "different," and it seemed like Acier Aluminum was just what I was looking for. I ordered a decant off of eBay and immediately fell in love. A few days later, a whole bottle was mine, and I've never looked back since. Many fragrances have entered my collection, but the Acier Aluminum has still yet to be dethroned. After an unfortunate accident with the sprayer malfunctioning and leaking a significant quantity of juice, the AA has been relegated to extreme special situations only, but a replacement will be on its way once the funds are more readily available.

Besideds my beloved Acier Aluminum, I also own a full bottle of Millesime Imperial, which I also am extremely fond of. I also own decants of Santal Imperial, GIT, BdP, REL, and Himalaya- and will probably end up purchasing full bottles when I'm able to. Many pan Creed for being expensive, but when you take the time to become familiar with the nuances and complexity of the fragrances, it becomes easy to appreciate why. Like other high-end/niche houses, they're pretty much in a league of their own.

P.S. - pluran: I want to live in those woods featured in your avatar pic!
    Last edited by Stuffman; 19th March 2007 at 10:03 PM.

I own;

GIT (of course)
    MI
    Tabarome
    Erolfa (hands down the best aquatic I've sampled)
    Acier Aluminum (still haven't got my head around this one)
    Neroli Savage (as said above, few Nerolis are better (IMHO, none are better))

I still want BdP, Orange Spice and possibly Green Valley

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I own:

1.GIT
    2.Tabarome
    3.Himalaya

My want list is 1.BdP-This one has gotten me compliments too . 2.Green Valley. 3.Original Santal 4. RSL. 5.Creed Vetiver.

Once I have these, I'll die a happy man.

I sometimes think that if it ever came down to it, I could easily make-do with only Creed fragrances in my repertoire... I currently Own:

1. Erolfa: My first full-bottle Creed purchase. Goes perfectly with the weather here in Miami. I always have a bottle on hand and can't imagine not having one.
    2. GIT: Elegant. Cary Grant, indeed. Smells like black-and-white movie, in a good way.
    3. Himalaya: A masterpiece. Probably my favorite. Always puts a spark in my step.
    4. Baie de Genievre: Mysterious. Wish I could wear it more, climatologically speaking... best in cool weather, I'd say. Great for gin lovers.

I've tried most of them and have also owned bottles of Silver Mountain Water, MI and Cypres-Musc. SMW is great. My opinion of MI is ambiguous... it seems very good at times, and not so great at others. Cypres-Musc I didn't care for at all.

The lady of the house owns Jasmal and Fleur de Bulgarie (a gift from me)... both are awsome. We Visited the Creed house boutique in Paris in 2004 and saw Olivier in the flesh on the street, walking. He looked exactly like he does on the little insert card... grey suit, same facial expression and everything. A cool fragrance house in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe View Post

Regarding the GIT thing...I was introduced to Kiton Men (GIT lite) and 99 Regent Street (GIT Junior) and like them both very well. Who knows, maybe someday when I grow up, I'll learn to like GIT too!
    While I really like GIT, I think that Kiton is the masterpiece of style and classiness, and is totally unlike GIT - as it is a mossy scent.
    Thus, no growing up is required.

The scents most often touted as light versions of GIT are Cool Water and Curve.
    Renato

I love Creed too, my faves are:
    1. MI (I own 9 full bottles, and one bottle which is half full)
    2. Erolfa (I own 6 full bottles, which I am actually wearing right now as I type this)
    3. GIT (I own 4 full bottles)
    4. Virgin Island Water (I only have 1 full bottle)

In the near future I plan on getting Himalaya.
    Last edited by Maz24; 19th March 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Why so little love for Original Vetiver? I love this scent so much it feels like a member of the family. I would certainly mourn if it were to pass away. I think I'm going to stock pile it just in case they discontinue it.

I've sampled some other Creeds, but at this point the only bottle I own other than Original Vetiver is GIT. My problem is that I like Original Vetiver so much that I lose my motivation to try anything else. This thread is inspiring me though.

Creed sure has great marketing. Whether you love it or hate it, everyone has an opinion on Creed.

I don 't hate Creed but I feel rather indifferent. I never found anything from Creed that thrilled me whatsoever.
    I feel the same way with Bond N9, the only one I like is Chelsea Flowers, it 's sexy and feminine but I have the feeling I can find something very similar and much cheaper at Sephora.
    That said I understand why guys here love Creed much more, their scents concept is closer to high end mens colognes than classic womens perfumes of Guerlain or Chanel or niche scents by Serge Lutens and Frederic Malle.

Nice thread. The Cult of Creed celebrates.

Creed was my first niche experience and GIT was my first niche fragrance. GIT is versatile for any occasion year round; however, I prefer to wear it in the warmer months.

I recently added Millesime Imperial to wear in the hotter summer months. It wears very close the body and I expect better sillage in the 90-degree humid heat we experience in ATL. I haven't experienced the low longevity issues have mentioned. I have 8-hour plus longevity with 5-7 sprays.

Bought SMW blind last summer and realized after a few wearings that it just wasn't for me. I gave the remainder of the bottle away. Too bad that was in my pre-Basenotes period, that would've made great swap material.

I currently own bottles of GIT and MI and have samples of the following:

Acier Aluminum
    Royal Delight
    Himalaya
    Tabarome Millesime
    Epicea
    Erolfa
    Bois du Portugal
    Bois de Cedrat
    Citrus Bigarrade
    Santal Imperial
    Royal English Leather
    Orange Spice
    Chevrefuille Original
    Silver Mountain Water (for reference use only, who knows I may give it another try)
    Baie de Genievre

My next additions are likely to be Original Vetiver, Acier Aluminum, Himalaya, and Tabarome.

The most underrated of those I've tested and worn are Royal Delight and Acier Alumimun.

Does anyone here really "hate" Creed?

What I HAVE read here over the years are people debating whether they are worth the money, but I don't recall anyone ever saying the house sucks. That'd be impossible...they've produced too many indisputable classics.

My favorites are:

Millésime Imperial
    GIT
    SMW

Try Bond No. 9 "Wall Street"

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Why so little love for Original Vetiver? I love this scent so much it feels like a member of the family. I would certainly mourn if it were to pass away. I think I'm going to stock pile it just in case they discontinue it.

I've sampled some other Creeds, but at this point the only bottle I own other than Original Vetiver is GIT. My problem is that I like Original Vetiver so much that I lose my motivation to try anything else. This thread is inspiring me though.

Creed sure has great marketing. Whether you love it or hate it, everyone has an opinion on Creed.
    I really like Original Vetiver, as I stated in my post. It took me a while to come to terms with it though, as it is a different type of fragrance from most of the creeds I like so much. It has a much more synthesised, blended smell to it. It doesn't have the striking naturalness that my other favourite creeds have, instead a great blast of synthetic grass to open with. I keep coming back to it, and every time I am happily surprised by how good it smells. It is a very fine fragrance, just a little un-creed like
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Creeds are always there for me. I've tried and purchased some other niche brands ,but I discovered I wear Creed the most.
    Creed seems to concentrate more on the creation of classics.
    Refined , yet wearable perfumes, where most niche brands get lost in being groundbraking, inventive or differend.
    I own Millesime Tabarome, Bois du Portugal and Millesime Imperial. And I recently got a decant of Vintage Tabarome.
    Last edited by eric; 20th March 2007 at 10:29 AM.

Just a question: Does Creed represent typical English or typical French way of perfume production?

That's a great question DesGrieux. I've wondered that myself and assumed and hoped that it was more English-oriented. They started out there, did they not?!

Some have mentioned that they have good marketing...I was under the impression that they don't really do any advertising. They make the product exclusive to certain stores and that's about it. There are "in-store appearances" once in a while. As for marketing, I suppose the naming, coloring, implied imagery (Virgin Island Water) do speak for themselves. What the does "Erolfa" mean anyway?! lol The other day, when I bought my bottlle of GIT at Neiman's, after the SA had rung me up, she exclaimed "well, you know it must be good if Cary Grant wore it!". Lady, do you even know who Cary Grant was? Are you making the strange assumption that I, at 26, even know who he was? Are you trying to impress me with the fact that a celebrity wore it? ugh. Ditzy SA's can ruin even the best fragrance purchase! She did make a couple samples for me though, so I'll let her off the hook. I wonder what the SA's cut is on a $200 bottle of cologne.

I too, happened upon the house via basenotes. I went to Neiman's soon after for testing. They say scent is the closest thing tied to memory; I can remember that day as if it were yesterday. I smelled things that made me feel like I had worn them in another life (as I mentioned in a previous post) - a great indicator that the scent is a "must-have". All of a sudden there were two fragrance categories: Creed scents, and everything else. Green Valley was my first...
    Last edited by Scentronic; 20th March 2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Just a question: Does Creed represent typical English or typical French way of perfume production?
    From what I have read of Luca Turin's commentary on Creed fragrances, he considers theirs an english style of perfumery (I dont know what english vs. french style is)
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    The other day, when I bought my bottlle of GIT at Neiman's, after the SA had rung me up, she exclaimed "well, you know it must be good if Cary Grant wore it!". Lady, do you even know who Cary Grant was? Are you making the strange assumption that I, at 26, even know who he was?
    I always found that Cary Grant name drop strange - GIT came out in 1985 - Cary Grant died in 1986 aged 82. That means he started wearing it at age 81 at the earliest, and wore it for one year at the most...
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 20th March 2007 at 07:08 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I always found that Cary Grant name drop strange - GIT came out in 1985 - Cary Grant died in 1986 aged 82. That means he started wearing it at age 81 at the earliest, and wore it for one year at the most...
    It was a personal fragrance created for him by Creed and was worn by him during his acting career and was not available to the public during that time. Celebrities purchase the license to a fragrance created for them from Creed for a certain period. After this license has expired Creed puts a name on the scent and release it to the public, if it's good enough to 'massmarket' that is.
    For swap:
    1. 90-95% full 2.5 oz bottle of Creed Orange Spice
    2. 99% full 1.6 oz bottle of Kenzo pour Homme
    3. 90% full 4 oz bottle of Creed Millesime Imperial

Looking for: GIT, Baie de Genièvre, Idole de Lubin, Chergui, decant of FM Carnal Flower, decant of vintage Tabarome

Ah - that makes more sense! Now that's an impressive story/hook!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

So, then GIT is not an Olivier creation, but likely introduced by his father. That's interesting to know.

Speaking of GIT, is it considered best when applied with a light hand? I'm one of those, unfortunately, who can rarely smell fragrance on myself, so I wonder if some of those online reviews are true that say GIT has very strong sillage. My NM SA has given me so many sample vials of GIT, I wouldn't have to buy a spray bottle for a very long time, if I really liked it (I haven't sampled it enough yet to determine that). But maybe it's better this way, just being dabbed on?

Getting back to original topic, my favorite Creed is Feuille Verte (I wonder if the new industry sensitivity/removal of oakmoss - one of FV's primary notes - will have any bearing on this scent ever being added to the regular line).

With the warmer weather, I wear a lot of SMW, MI and Green Valley (sometimes MI + GV together).

During the winter, I especially like Acier Aluminium. My winter "mood" fragrances include Epicea (when Michigan temperatures get bitter and this very UNpotpourri-like pine note is comforting), and occasionally Baie de Geneviere.

I like FV and Original Santal during all seasons of the year (OS, I KNOW, requires a light touch).

I have sample vials of Fleur de the Rose Bulgare and Vintage Tabarome, and another sample of the two combined. I love both of these classics, and especially admire Vintage Tabarome, but it is strong and formal, and I'm not sure I could ever "grow into" it.

I'd love to purchase Neroli Sauvage next, whenever I can budget it in, and there are still many more Creeds I have yet to try.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901 View Post

Getting back to original topic, my favorite Creed is Feuille Verte (I wonder if the new industry sensitivity/removal of oakmoss - one of FV's primary notes - will have any bearing on this scent ever being added to the regular line).
    Feuille Verte is/was fantastic - the combination of tart lime, rich dry moss and one of the most exquisite jasmine notes in the base smells killer. I would love for it to be added to the permanent line.Too bad I am just left with a 5ml decant of it...
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Feuille Verte is/was fantastic - the combination of tart lime, rich dry moss and one of the most exquisite jasmine notes in the base smells killer. I would love for it to be added to the permanent line.Too bad I am just left with a 5ml decant of it...
    I have only a few ml left too. Wore it the other day. Excellent stuff! Who has a secret bottle here then? Time to break it out and make a killing on decants.

reviews

Scentronic -

The name 'Erolfa' came about by Oliver Creed taking the first two letters of his own Christian name and that of his son (Erwin) and wife (whose name I don't recall but someone here will know it).

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Scentronic -

The name 'Erolfa' came about by Oliver Creed taking the first two letters of his own Christian name and that of his son (Erwin) and wife (whose name I don't recall but someone here will know it).
    Farina?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Farina?
    Fanny? Fatima?

reviews

More likely its Fabienne. Though its kitschy fun to imagine him having wed Farina Marie Farina, heiress to the Eau de Cologne dynasty - to get at the secret recipe of Farina Eau de Cologne.

You know K/S (i.e. Kirk/Spock) etc.? Star Trek fan fiction, often erotic or pornographic. We need Creedfiction .

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I haven't slept for days, beginning to hallucinate
    My Wardrobe

I thought Erolfa was the name of the boat on which Erwin Creed was conceived....

How about some more GIT myth busting ?

From what I know, Zeste Mandarine pample-whatever (1975) was Olivier Creeds first fragrance as lead perfumer.

Green Irish Tweed was released in 1985.

Cary Grant (1904 - 1986).

Selection Verte (1955) is the fragrance which was created for Cary Grant by Creed. ( http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/sit...ate_collection )

Its possible that a variant of GIT was worn by Cary Grant before 1985, perhaps in the late 70s if its created by Olivier Creed.
    --------------------------------------
    To continue..

Millesime Imperial (1995) might not be an Olivier Creed creation.

It was originally made for King Faisal of Saudi Arabia (1906-1975).

Olivier Creed became master perfumer in 1975, the same year King Faisal died.

My guess is that in 1995, Olivier Creed released his own creation (Silver Mountain Water), and also launched a back catalog scent (Millesime Imperial).
    Last edited by zztopp; 21st March 2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -

Could someone speak of Royal Delight? From the reviews I guess it is a kind of "unusual" Creed (e.g. in being an oriental or something similar). I'm very curious to try this one out because there's one thing that I miss a bit in fragrances from this house: heavy, "nose gripping" opulence (like the best one's from Serge Lutens).

Could someone speak of Royal Delight? From the reviews I guess it is a kind of "unusual" Creed (e.g. in being an oriental or something similar). I'm very curious to try this one out because there's one thing that I miss a bit in fragrances from this house: heavy, "nose gripping" opulence (like the best one's from Serge Lutens).
    Oh, this is nose gripping opulence allright. In fact it is the most Lutenesque of all Creeds. Imagine Royal English Leather as the point of departure: its fruity mandarin top note and the creamy oriental leather base, already very rich and heady. This is your sandwich roll, which is now stuffed with the floral richesse of jasmin, rose, and violet middle notes, plus some vanilla, amber and sandalwood to boot. The result is addiction or nausea, the former for me. It does develop that "scotch tape" thing, which you really have to like. This is so showy that for now I only wear it around the (opera) house.
    My Wardrobe

Royal Delight is a rich, well balanced fragrance. Not too floral, not too sweet, just right. When I first tested it, the rose note reminded me of the rose in C&S No. 88. Then the vanilla and amber enter and sweeten the mix a little more. Definitely give it a test.

I have 8-hour plus longevity with 5-7 sprays.
    Thats the problem! 7 sprays for only 8 hours?!
    meaning the first hour or two of application you smell like you swam inside the creed bottle..then by midday-evening it smells "nice". Its rough for me because I cant go into work smelling like that. People complained with 5 sprays!
    I do 3-4. By 3pm its gone.
    --------------------------------------
    That said I really need some nice size sampled of Creed GIT, MW, and the new one that just came out!! please PM me
    Last edited by bigsink; 22nd March 2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My Creeds (14):

Acier Aluminum
    Angélique Encens
    Baie de Genièvre
    Bois du Portugal
    Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya
    Irisia
    Néroli Sauvage
    Original Santal
    Royal Scottish Lavender
    Royal Water
    Santal Impérial
    Tabarôme 'Private Collection'
    Vétiver (1948
    )

My five faves: Acier Aluminium, Bois du Portugal. Baie de Genièvre, Néroli Sauvage, and Angélique Encens, not necessarily in that order.

Creeds I hate: Millésime Impériale, Érolfa. (I don't like aquatic-citrus scents.)

I
    still covet: Sélection Verte, Cyprès Musc, Bois de Cédrat, Citrus Bigarrade.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194413
    ^ maybe someone can identify this fake or real bottle

Quote Originally Posted by bigsink View Post
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194413
    ^ maybe someone can identify this fake or real bottle
    I dont want to turn this into a "my Creed is fake!" thread, so I will try to answer this and get it over with - the bottle looks real, and most probably was acquired from the Middle East/Arabian countries (UAE, most probably). The leaflet is in arabic, and states the Creed history etc (I can understand a bit of arabic and arabic numerals). The only way to know for sure is to smell it, and then compare it by going to your local authorized Creed retailer and trying MI there.

Perhaps now you can share what Creeds you like/dislike ..
    -

Thanks for the "policing", zztop! I love this thread.

Royal Delight inquiry: Amazing, but not incredibly versatile. I use it as a special occasion type, but wear it more than I think I'd wear the Vintage Tab or REL. (which I want both of!)

Erolfa: Wow, I wasn't expecting an answer as to the origin of the name!

Irisia: I've never smelled this one! Can anyone describe it any further? The GIT "boasts" it's iris, could this be equally luxurious?!

I would like to know what people think of Vetiver '48. I tried a small sample of it and was hooked - it had that fresh mineral smell.

In recent news .. Erwin Creed was spotted at a Creed event in the phillipines:

http://www.shopcrazy.com.ph/2007/03/...pen-in-manila/

At the same event, during an interview, he stated that Creed are thinking of a limited edition scent in a crystal bottle for 2010, which will be Creeds 250 year anniversary.
    -

My first Creed purchase was a bottle of MI for my wife on Valentine's Day last year. It was sprayed on a card for me, and I said OK. When it came time to pay, I almost soiled myself! When she started blowing through it, I was happy she liked it, but not that damn much.

Fast forward almost a year to my discovering Basenotes, and seeing MI as suitable for a man. I tried it, but it is just not for me. But I did learn about the rest of Creed's line, and went to a local Blue Mercury, and have tested a few. I tried GIT because of all the love here, and again, for me good not great. I did like Himalaya, blanched yet again at the retail price, and bought some from creedirect on eBay. This is a keeper for me. I got many compliments on it from people who don't notice when I wear something else. So now I'll see what's next.

My experience with Creed is Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, Tabarome Millesime and Erolfa.

All of them are very smooth, even the Tabarome which has a spicy kick in it, and I want to drink them. However, none of them suit me except for Silver Mountain Water which is one of my main staples.

Erolfa smells butterscotch pudding with a hint of sea salt to me. It's the first fragrance that I can describe as "humid". It transforms very quickly from something bright at the first spray, and ten in about 30 seconds as it dries it becomes very thick and rich. It's very intriguing and I smell my wrist over and over again, but it just isn't me at all.

I'm very curious to try the Royal English Leather and Neroli Sauvage, as leathers and nerolis are always a favourite.

Himalaya smells like puffy pink and yellow clouds. Liek Erolfa, it goes from bright to very smooth in less than a minute. Like erolfa it's quite intriguing and I smelled it over and over again when I tested it, but I don't think I could wear it in public.

Tabarome Millesime starts off with a nice gingery note, and dries into a light spice, which I'm not qualified to describe. It's more conventional than the other two, and more "mature" but again not for me. My favourite "mature male" fragrance is Equipage.

Silver Mountain Water is wonderful. Again smooth and drinkeable. Smells like fruity wine and tea. It took my awhile to appreciate it fully, but even when I wasn't sure if I liked it yet, I wasn't afraid to wear it out in public.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

I went to Neiman's yesterday intending on picking up some Millesime Imperial, but ended up coming home with some Baie de Genievre. I picked up a sample of it a week or two ago, and have been more and more interested in it every day! I noticed that even the testers of Millesime Imperial were from 2005, and they smelled fine, so I think I will just get it online and save a hundred bucks. (I believe GIT goes off after a couple years)

I really want to pick up bottles of Selection Verte and Cypres Musc, but the Creed rep is telling me that they only come in the 8.4 oz flacons. I don't need quite that much! Plus, I'd have to get atomizers for them as well. I've seen 2.5 oz bottle of both, either online or in tester form, so I know they have to exist...Anyone ever seen them?

I'm enjoying the BdG very much! It is so incredibly masculine, and a perfect addition to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I really want to pick up bottles of Selection Verte and Cypres Musc, but the Creed rep is telling me that they only come in the 8.4 oz flacons.
    I think the Creed rep is correct. Selection Verte and Cypres Musc are part of the Private Collection and that series is available in 8.4 oz flacons only.