Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Do you get more compliments on mainstream or niche fragrances?

Mainstream: Kenzo Summer, Alien and L'Instant Guerlain usually gain compliments. Once upon a time I flirted with the idea of wearing Chanel No5 and I've never received so many compliments. But the fragrance snob in me stopped me from buying a full bottle. I didn't want something that everyone and their mum would be wearing. Isn't that sad!

I rarely get compliments in the Midwest, but when I do, it is almost always mainstream perfumes that bring the approval. For example, Chanel No. 19 and Hermes 24, Faubourg come out well. And I hear people make comments (when they don't know who they are smelling, and I don't say, "Hey, it's me!") such as, "I smell something nice. It smells like Opium," which is waaaaaaaayyyyy off. But that's all they know. That's all they've been exposed to.

* I went over to the Male board to see if this thread was over there and it's not......All of my compliments come from the mainstream scents.
    * I have received one compliment on a Niche scent.....and that was Geir of Norway for men. I was at the Library and I received a compliment from a total stranger.....and I must say that it made my day.
    * I received a compliment while wearing Creeds Erolfa.....I don't really consider Creed a Niche house but I quess they fall in that category.......So that makes 2 compliments.
    *Great thread....gary

My all-time biggest compliment-getter is Chanel Chance. (I think it smells really good on me too, )

Back when I wore RL Romance (many years ago) it got lots of compliments. I sprayed a bit on in some store not too long ago, and I got two compliments that day.

Allure Sensuelle, Coco Mlle, and Stella get lots of positive attention and compliments. Good 'ole Cabotine collects compliments nearly every time I wear it. (And then there's Amazing Grace, and Falling In Love...which truly seem to lure in praises from everybody everywhere.)

If you consider Bond No. 9 to be niche, then I can count West Side for the niche category, but I can't think of a single other niche that's gotten compliments for me. I got a complaint from a stranger when wearing L'ete en douce, which doesn't diminish the fragrance's beauty for me, but suggests that L'ete is not as "nose friendly" as I thought it was.
    Last edited by Tovah; 14th July 2008 at 02:07 AM.

I thought I was the only one! Someone gave me Gap Soft Sandalwood and every time I have worn it I have received compliments, even from strangers.

I've had compliments on one 'celeb' frag (is that mainstream? I don't know or care), which is JLo Glow, and otherwise, it's mostly the niche frags that get noticed. Not always compliments though. When I wore Shocking, a colleague said he could smell 'incense' all day long, and when I wore Ambre Sultan, another (male) colleague said the room smelled strongly of perfume, but when he said it he wrinkled his nose, so he clearly didn't like it. And another (male) colleague absolutely loved it whenever I wore Le Dix. He would follow me around sniffing me. In fact, thinking about it, I never get comments from women. Only men. So far, it's 2/2 - (good/bad).
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby