Code of Conduct

Default Do you get more compliments on mainstream or niche fragrances?

I've worn fragrances like Lea St. Barth, Coquette Tropique, Monyette Paris, Brandy, Gendarme, etc. but never really gotten any remarks from anyone. So far, it seems like I get the most out of mainstream scents. One day, I tested BS Fantasy on my arm and have gotten a "you smell sooo good" from the guy making my sandwich at Subway...go figure

Default Re: Do you get more compliments on mainstream or niche fragrances?

The mainstream scents (Pink Sugar, Poeme, Tresor, Hanae Mori, Bulgari Blue Notte) always get compliments. My niche never do except for Les Nereides scent called Musc De Java.

I never get compliments at all, lol! It does make sense that more mainstream fragrances appeal to more people, though.

Smile Re: Do you get more compliments on mainstream or niche fragrances?

It's not surprising that the "mainstream" scents get more compliments, that's pretty much why they're called mainstream. There's more access to actually testing them (in most department stores) and usually are advertised more, so most people are more familiar with those scents, and grow accustomed to them. They are more trendy, and the notes are more recognizable to most people, and since the mainstream scents have more "synthetic notes" then the niche scents, you can just about have any notes created that people may like. Just a thought...I like both*

I without fail get compliments on my mainstream scents. I can't remember getting a single comment on a niche fragrance. (Somewhat related, my favourite comment from a stranger was a gentleman sitting next to me on the bus who said of Givenchy Organza, "You smell nice--for a girl.")

Niche fragrances to my mind mind are often a little more complicated and as a newbie I often find that I respond to many of them with an intellectual appreciation. It's like the difference between Ella Fitzgerald, played in every coffee shop because so many love her, and Miles Davis, a cacophony of sound which as many find irritating as do enthralling. (I love them both.)

Depends on who makes the compliments.

General public? Mainstream ones, by far!! They like familiar things, things they might have already smelled.

My SO? Mainly niche or classics. And no, he's not "trained", he's a natural!

Fleurs d 'Oranger by Serge Lutens drives men so crazy, it gets me hot hot hot compliments all the time to a degree I never experienced with any other scents, wether it 's Chanel, Guerlain or trendy mainstream.
    Clair de Musc and Rose Barbare also get me lots of compliments but nothing compared to Fleurs d 'Oranger.

I've had more comments on Dzing! and Philosykos than anything else except Mitsouko, so yes - more comments on niche fragrances, I suppose!

Oh Rats! I've never kept track - now I'll have to start. Wicked girl!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Yes I am!! Seems like every week, the holes in my wallet and bills are getting bigger and bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Oh Rats! I've never kept track - now I'll have to start. Wicked girl!! :bounce:

Always more compliments on mainstream. Not niche or chypres.

categorizing niche and mainstream has its limits, it simplifies too much, do you consider a classic like Mitsouko as mainstream as Innocence?
    do you consider Serge Lutens ' s best seller Fleurs d 'Oranger as niche as much as his exclusive line?

I get more compliments from mainstream fragrances - The ones I get the most compliments on are:
    Angel
    Britto Woman
    Tresor
    Jacques Phillippe Angelica
    Banana Republic W
    Acqua Di Gio
    Perry Ellis America
    Gap So Pink

As far as niche fragrances, I only have gotten compliments on:
    Bond No 9 Gramercy Park and
    L'Artisan Bois Farine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin de Grasse View Post
    Fleurs d 'Oranger by Serge Lutens drives men so crazy, it gets me hot hot hot compliments all the time to a degree I never experienced with any other scents, wether it 's Chanel, Guerlain or trendy mainstream.
    Clair de Musc and Rose Barbare also get me lots of compliments but nothing compared to Fleurs d 'Oranger.
    I know everyone has different tastes, but I smelled this fragrance today at Neiman Marcus, and although it is very feminine & pretty, it smelled VERY ORANGE & FLOWERY, if you like that kind of fragrance, so honestly, even though it is classified a niche fragrance, it could pass as mainstream.

Mainstream and it's not even close....If it's compliments that You want.....Mainstream is the way to get them.
    Gary

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 19th November 2009 at 06:09 PM.

Anything that has a gourmand note or two in it gets compliments. Only one compliment was given for tea for two, and only because it smelled different

Mainstream, without a doubt.
    The only niche frag I think I have ever gotten a compliment on is Iris Poudre (Frédéric Malle).

I don't think that I have ever actually used what many here would classify as a true niche fragrance. So I will simply categorize according to mainstream and higher-end mainstream...

Higher end:
    -Never got a single compliment when I wore Penhaligon's Bluebelle (even though I find it quite lovely)
    -Have received a few compliments while wearing Guerlain's Shalimar
    -Received a few compliments for Guerlain's Mitsouko

Mainstream:
    -Received many, many compliments on Aqua di Gio (which I rarely wear these days except in very hot weather)
    -Received many compliments on Gucci's Envy
    -Lots of compliments on Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir (which I never actually liked on me)
    -lots of compliments on TBS White Musk and TBS Japanese Musk (both of which I adore)

I think it has less to do with mainstream vs niche, to be honest. Some scents simply appeal to certain people, whether niche or not, and body chemistry is so important as well. I like to think that a wonderful fragrance, worn by the right person, is worthy of an appreciative comment even if the bottle didn't cost two grand.

I *think* people tend NOT to give compliments if they smell something complex, but that's just me.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

50/50

Douce Amere and Timbuktu have received compliments

So have Vent Vert, Mitsouko, and Angel

I think that mainstream would tend to generate more compliments because that's what thse scents are made to do - with all the marketing research and $$ that goes into something generated for the masses.

Sur la Plage

Mainstream by far.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't have many (any?) niche fragrances. The compliments I've received have been mostly from "mainstream, non-scent-obsessed people. They've complimented: Jessica McClintock - Jessica McCintock, Hermes Caleche Eau Delicate, Prada (her first scent) and Dior Diorissimo. I'm actually quite envious of people who receive scent compliments, and wonder if I either (1) just don't carry the fragrances well, or (2) Don't put enough of a scent on... I'm sorta sillage-wary (never wanting to offend someone, since I'm so easily ofended by scent myself0.

However, there is a 14-yr old girl who lives next door, who loves every scent I wear and introduce to her, whether it's a "youth-directed" scent or a mature classic. When she goes shoping with my daughter and me, I am always astounded by her appreciation of the entire spectrum of scents, particularly because her mother wears only 1 scent, which is, shudder, Charlie.
    Last edited by pomander; 11th July 2008 at 02:16 AM.

I have received frequent compliments on Fleurs de Citronnier, always from women. It seems to me, though, that aside from this one fragrance, the other compliments have been sparse and infrequent, so I am able to remember each (both of them):

Femme EdP, from a woman, back when this was a bit of a sig scent for me and I went through two bottles in an exclusive period of wear.
    Marina de Bourbon, again from a woman, when this scent was sold at Nordstrom.

I have yet to purchase my 1st niche frag. I know what my first one will be though.....L'Artisan Dzongkha

I get compliments on the frags that are "mainstream", but not often worn by everyone. I don't run into too many folks that wear Creed or Bond No.9. So, most folks don't recognize nor have they heard of my frag. Believe it or not but there are people who actually wouldn't dream of spending $30 on a bottle of perfume LOL!! Could you imagine if they saw some of our wardrobes!!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Yes, I too get most compliments on mainstream fragrances, but with one niche exception: Bond No. 9's Nuits de Noho.

Yes I also post on the lush forum and while some of them wear perfume it´s usually not the kind where you dish out for. They seem to get harder to get perfumes for the novelty of it, not because it is anybetter then what you can get in local drugstores. Sometimes they do splurge on lush liquid perfumes, while its worth that money to them I think its because it has the lush label because I doubt there isnt an almond vanilla fragrance just as good and maybe better ( its not hard, lets face it, I can come up with 3 already).

When I mentioned I bought 2 l´Artisan perfume and the price they had a fit and the ones who had children( they literally said their mother sense kicked in) asked me whether I felt that was responsible . I was rather surprised, I explained to them that I pay for the quality, and something that is different then everything else so it´s not boring( MMU isnt really innovative in their perfumes from what I saw). They said that it will be different for that price because no one else would buy it.

Maybe, but I think its worth it, and if they care about ingredients and the quality of the fragrance as much as they say they do, I think they would explore it more but I think they are more intrested in recgonizeable brands that come from overseas.

In short, only basenoters understand.

Neither! I'm never EVER complimented on my fragrances so, like pomander, I wonder if they just don't smell nice on me or I'm not wearing enough (I too am shy about wearing "too much"). I'd kind of like some compliments, though. Perhaps for a bit of positive attention , but also some validation for the investment. Do I really need either? Nah.
    The only person who compliments me is my bf, who, bless him, loves almost everything I wear. The only way I know he doesn't is when is says, "What are you wearing?" and after I tell him he kindly says nothing. heh.

This is a helpful thread for me because now I don't feel quite so alone when I don't get compliments on my niche perfumes. Unfortunately, the only frag my family compliments me on is Skin Musk (which just made me plain huffy, since I just grabbed it one day out of sheer lack of creativity), but my husband wisely complimented me wearing Lipstick Rose. The rest of my frags seem to require too much of an intellectual effort to remark upon. Or maybe I'm over (horror!) or under spraying. I think I do care too much, though. It is good to be in similar company.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 19th November 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Mainstream: Kenzo Summer, Alien and L'Instant Guerlain usually gain compliments. Once upon a time I flirted with the idea of wearing Chanel No5 and I've never received so many compliments. But the fragrance snob in me stopped me from buying a full bottle. I didn't want something that everyone and their mum would be wearing. Isn't that sad!

I rarely get compliments in the Midwest, but when I do, it is almost always mainstream perfumes that bring the approval. For example, Chanel No. 19 and Hermes 24, Faubourg come out well. And I hear people make comments (when they don't know who they are smelling, and I don't say, "Hey, it's me!") such as, "I smell something nice. It smells like Opium," which is waaaaaaaayyyyy off. But that's all they know. That's all they've been exposed to.

* I went over to the Male board to see if this thread was over there and it's not......All of my compliments come from the mainstream scents.
    * I have received one compliment on a Niche scent.....and that was Geir of Norway for men. I was at the Library and I received a compliment from a total stranger.....and I must say that it made my day.
    * I received a compliment while wearing Creeds Erolfa.....I don't really consider Creed a Niche house but I quess they fall in that category.......So that makes 2 compliments.
    *Great thread....gary

My all-time biggest compliment-getter is Chanel Chance. (I think it smells really good on me too, )

Back when I wore RL Romance (many years ago) it got lots of compliments. I sprayed a bit on in some store not too long ago, and I got two compliments that day.

Allure Sensuelle, Coco Mlle, and Stella get lots of positive attention and compliments. Good 'ole Cabotine collects compliments nearly every time I wear it. (And then there's Amazing Grace, and Falling In Love...which truly seem to lure in praises from everybody everywhere.)

If you consider Bond No. 9 to be niche, then I can count West Side for the niche category, but I can't think of a single other niche that's gotten compliments for me. I got a complaint from a stranger when wearing L'ete en douce, which doesn't diminish the fragrance's beauty for me, but suggests that L'ete is not as "nose friendly" as I thought it was.
    Last edited by Tovah; 14th July 2008 at 02:07 AM.

I thought I was the only one! Someone gave me Gap Soft Sandalwood and every time I have worn it I have received compliments, even from strangers.

I've had compliments on one 'celeb' frag (is that mainstream? I don't know or care), which is JLo Glow, and otherwise, it's mostly the niche frags that get noticed. Not always compliments though. When I wore Shocking, a colleague said he could smell 'incense' all day long, and when I wore Ambre Sultan, another (male) colleague said the room smelled strongly of perfume, but when he said it he wrinkled his nose, so he clearly didn't like it. And another (male) colleague absolutely loved it whenever I wore Le Dix. He would follow me around sniffing me. In fact, thinking about it, I never get comments from women. Only men. So far, it's 2/2 - (good/bad).
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby