Code of Conduct

Default What perfume is best with your natural BO?

I've been thinking about this. Body odor is something we all have in various sillage strengths. Natural body odor has a certain smell and I was wondering what perfume can work with or hide BO the best? Often I find strong perfumes with strong BO smells bad. I figure the makers of body deodorants should create perfumes that work better with body chemistry.
    Last edited by ghotio; 19th March 2007 at 11:21 PM.

Default Re: What perfume is best with your natural BO?

I am not totally sure what you are asking, but what works best with my BO is a bath. Then a good deodorant, then scented lotion and fragrance.
    Last edited by TDDanae; 20th March 2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: misspelling

Unhappy Re: What perfume is best with your natural BO?

Perfume to work with BO? Maybe I'm confused here -- I don't have BO, as I shower daily and use deodorant. Are you asking about actual stinky BO - are you looking for a scent to cover up a stench? Or are you referring to fragrances that enhance your individual body chemistry? Please forgive me if my post sounds strange in any way.

Unhappy Re: What perfume is best with your natural BO?

If you mean my natural scent or pheromone, I would say Kenzo Jungle Elephant, used to be Fendi, not as much now.

If you mean a stinky smell, like I needed a shower yesterday, NOTHING COVERS THAT UP, NOTHING!!!!

Well, I work out a LOT so it's always a nice hot bath for me right afterwards! And I use Mitchum deodorant which is supposed to be good for 48 hours, although I use it each morning. So (hopefully) I don't have a lot of odour!
    But, interestingly, humans retained pubic and underarm hair in order to trap the sweaty pheromones so they'd attract mates. Now for most of us, that smell is no longer attractive, so we remove a lot of that hair and spray on deodorants. Then, perversely, we apply musky perfumes because we've washed off all our own pheromones. Quite funny if you think about it.

Er...frequent baths and a good deodorant! (I actually stock up on Suave solid 24-hour sticks a couple of times a year when I'm in America - it's unbelievably cheap, and I find it works much better for me than anything available in the UK. Unfortunately, Mitchum brings me out in a horrible itchy rash.)

That said, I used to work with a couple of guys who had terrible BO problems, but didn't seem to realise; I think it's sometimes hard to smell your own odour. Which is why I take frequent baths and use a good deodorant...

Probably Chypres because they have a pungent, often peppery overtone.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Probably Chypres because they have a pungent, often peppery overtone.
    I agree with this. Pepper and patchouli are what I thought of when I first read this thread.

Hmm. I know someone (not me) who doesn't use deodorant and instead sprays Guerlain Pamplelune in the armpits. It creates an unbelieveable stench: grapefruit + patch + b.o.!

Okay seriously? I use Nivea deodorant because it doesn't interfere with the scent of my perfume. I find that powdery aldehydes work with my personal body odor. I am not talking about stinky, unbathed body odor - only thing that works in that case in a...
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Gah - I love Pampelune, but it doesn't work on everyone. Luca Turin says the funky smell in Pampelune (disquietingly close to the smell of onions, but in a good way - next time you cut an onion open, sniff some Pampelune as well and be prepared for a shock) is sulphur compounds - and sulphur compounds are found in BO.

Strange how things which actually smell pretty terrible (think about the crazy but successful amount of civet in Narcisse Noir) can be so beautiful in perfumery. I'm still taking lots of baths and slapping on the deodorant, though!

Yep, same here with the baths and deodorant! Once I notice BO, it's the only thing I can smell.

Old Spice High Performance Solid Deodorant in the Arctic Blast fragrance
    While Christmas shopping a clerk commented on how fresh and nice my fragrance was. I knew it was the deodorant because I could smell it too. I guess we don't really need to buy perfumes to smell nice - just the right deodorant

If the deodorant fragrance was that obvious, what must the sillage of actual BO be like? We've all come upon that sillage from time to time. I think it's the official state fragrance for men in certain parts here.

How about Kingdom by Alexander McQueen? And musk fragrances tend to blend with BO.
    Last edited by flathorn; 21st March 2007 at 08:59 PM.