Code of Conduct

Thread: Dirt notes

Basenotes Institution

Default Dirt notes

I just realized today that I like 'dirt' notes in my scents - I've smelled it in Rose Poivree by The Different Company, A.maze by People of the Labyrinths and (I think) Passage D'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur. Amazing scents that truly complement the dirt note really nicely.

Let me clarify, I am not talking about 'dirty' scents (rotting, decaying or sour) - I am talking about DIRT that is in the garden: SOIL, BLACK DIRT.

I also had heard somewhere, that Dirt (the scent from Demeter) was one of their most popular scents and that many people layer it with other scents. I am going to try this soon, although to be honest with you I'm a little scared of screwing up (layering too much or too little) and not liking the combo and then having to scrub it off...I hate that! So, I'd much rather leave it to the fragrance houses to blend a 'dirt' note into a fragrance for me, thank you very much.

Any other prominent 'dirt' notes out there that you'd suggest my fellow dirt lovers?

Thrax

Default Re: Dirt notes

Voleur de Roses by L'artisan

nearfantastica

Yves Rocher's Nature Millenaire... dirt/leaves/woods/herbs... an earthier, less refined take on Bois Du Portugal... nothing quite like it. Give it a go if you can find it.

a.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    What a coincidence! I just swapped with a fellow Basenoter for a bottle of Voleur de Roses (my VERY FIRST full bottle of L'Artisan that I've ever owned).

YAY! Sounds like I made a good swap!

( (big WIDE grin ) )

Cumming is a very earthy scent, it has notes of Highland Mud, Peat Fire & White Truffle. One of my favorites.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

terre de hermes to me smells like orange peels dug up from compost... love it
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Blog Entries

Totally second this. It was actually the dirt notes in this that I didn't really like. But to each their own! If you like dirt, I'm thinkin' you'll like this.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Mazzolari Lui - very earthy, dirty and animalic!

-Tero-

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by GGA View Post
    Mazzolari Lui - very earthy, dirty and animalic!

-Tero-
    Yes I have heard the same thing, but havent gotten around to opening my sample of this stuff up!!

Try Frederic Malle's Angeliques Sous La Pluie.

Dirt by Demeter is pretty good too.

Both Angeliques and Dirt are very fleeting though
    -

Yes I have heard the same thing, but havent gotten around to opening my sample of this stuff up!!
    Right after the application it smells like a horse barn to my nose =:-o

-T-

I end up buying new bottles when I am not finished with my old ones...then I have unopened. I'm going to quit doing this!

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by GGA View Post
    Right after the application it smells like a horse barn to my nose =:-o

-T-
    Nevermind I think I can go without digging that sample up...

Post Re: Dirt notes

I'd like to add Timbuktu and Route du Vetiver

I've been using a solid parfum for years and have always enjoyed it. I don't recall the name, (although I can find it) but it is a deer hunting mask scent. I hang them in the tree limbs around me to cover my human scent. I also hang one on my rear view mirror just because it reminds me of the years I worked the farm. There is no cleaner scent than that of fresh dug dirt.

Thrax

Well hell while we're at it I'll throw in Guerlain Vetiver. Dirt, ass, grass, and tobacco. It's a formidable scent. Stings the nostrils.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What a coincidence! I just swapped with a fellow Basenoter for a bottle of Voleur de Roses (my VERY FIRST full bottle of L'Artisan that I've ever owned).

YAY! Sounds like I made a good swap!

( (big WIDE grin ) )
    You did. Make a good swap that is. VdR has one of my all-time fave mineral/earthy notes.

Anvers 2 - Ulrich Lang has a certain damp soil feel to it mixed with floral notes, then the dirt dries and mixes with vanilla and oakmoss maybe. Comforting scent. Bois Farine + Daim Blond + Santal Noble +...oh well...I give up.

The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver has a brilliant dirt note. There's also a truffle note in the Frederic Malle Une Rose which smells gorgeously earthy - it's like the rose bush has been bottled roots and all, with mud caked around its base.

Reading the previous posts, I think I need to sample Cumming.

I wish Demeter Dirt hung around a bit more - I don't think you'll have a problem overdoing it! I find you need to carry it around and reapply *frequently* - and I am not the sort of person who carries a purse spray. A shame; I love that particular smell you're describing, and Dirt hits it on the nose for me.

*Runs upstairs to apply some Dirt*

Wink Re: Dirt notes

I think anything with patchouli in it, especially straight patchouli oil. I bought Etro Patchouly, it's nice, but it's too "dirty" for me. I like an earthy, not green though, smouldering scent. I'm surprised you think that Passage de Enfer has a "dirt" smell? To me, it smelled soapy.

Demeter Dirt is so close to soil that I hadn't had the guts to even try it on the back of my hand in fear that it might cling and stay there and I wouldn't be able to wash it off. That said this is the closest thing I've came across to realy dirt, so if this is your cup of tea by all means get a bottle, it is something you can hardly go wrong with.

CB I hate Perfume Black March

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone.

I'm a little frightened of the scent Cumming, by Alan Cumming. It's the first fragrance that I ever had a VERY strong negative reaction to. I remember wanting to scrub it off in the mall restroom, when I sampled it at Sephora years ago. If I remember, it smelled like garbage to me...(dirty, not DIRT). However, that was BEFORE my life as a BaseNoter had begun, so perhaps I should just try a decant of it now.

In addition, I've been meaning to try the Malle Angelique Sol...I read an interview with the perfumer last week and something about the description of the scent lingered in my mind...getting a decant of this might be harder

I have never even HEARD of some of the other suggestions...although CB's Black March sounds like it might be 'right up my alley'.