Code of Conduct

Default Millesime Imperial Mystery

Hi guys. This is the first time I have posted on the forum although I have been on it almost everyday for 2 years. This site got me interested in fraagrances.There have been alot of Millesime Imperial posts lately so I hate to add another one, but I have some questions. I bought a bottle of this from Neiman Marcus in Chicago about 10 months ago. I am almost out of it and am debating whether to buy another bottle or not. The mystery with it seems to be the way it changes smell day to day. Sometimes it smells perfect with a light watermelon like note on top of sea salt and other days it simply smells sour with this musty sour watermelon type smell that is pretty nasty. I thought it might be a skin chemistry thing so I spray it sometimes on a pillow or shirt and the same thing happens. Is this normal? I have since moved and the nearest Neiman Marcus is over 500 miles away so I don't have anything to compare it to. I didn't know much about Creed dates on the box when I bought it. The date is 2002 so it is an older bottle and was when I bought it. If I would have know better I would have asked for a newer bottle. Doyou think it may be a bad bottle? I really like this when it works, but I don't want to buy a new bottle if this is just the way the scent is. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Wardrobe

Default Re: Millesime Imperial Mystery

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to tell you, but I think this is just the nature of the beast. I also have a bottle of MI, and some days it just "Wow!"s the heck out of me and other days I either fail to notice it much and/or it has me second-guessing my purchase. I'm running just about 50/50 on my observations.

I think it is equal parts the scent itself and differences in ourselves. Our sense of smell certainly is not the same day in and day out, plus the ambient air characteristics (temp, humidity, etc.) affect both the scent and our sense of smell. So it makes sense to me that the same scent smells differently from day to day. This is especially pronounced with scents that have lots of fresh citrus or fruity elements, which by their nature are quite volatile. This changling nature of scents may also be most prominent when the weather is changing or varying a lot, like during the changing of the seasons.

Despite these observations, I do consider MI an excellent fragrance and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Jeff

J. H. Creed said in the allure magazine interview...it is perfect, when it´s 2006 and you buy a bottle with the date of 2002...he said...take the oldest bottle you can buy...i was so happy that i read this interview...i had the same question about the date (on the box)...
    It is normal...it is the chemsty with your skin...and every bottle smells a bit different...is like wine...sometimes it smell fresh and clean and sometimes it is sour...

Thanks for your help guys.

I concur with Wicozani; I bought MI at full price because it had a major kapow factor. But lately, I am not all that impressed and I'll leave it alone for awhile. I'll try it again, and voila, instant love again. Over time, I've noticed that I tend to run "average" between the highs and lows. I used to love it, but now I'm considering selling it.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)