Code of Conduct

Unhappy What fragrance did you say,"what the heck, is this really it?"

What fragrance(s) did you anticipate to be a hot, and was definitely not? You heard alot about it, and couldn't wait to try it out, and then you do, and your totally underwhelmed.

For me, quite a few, remember me, Miss Picky? I would say, just to name a few:

Pheromone from Marilyn Miglin (major hype when first came out) to me, a big stinker!

Destiny- couldn't hardly smell the notes (Marilyn, what's up)
    Eau de Merveilles by Hermes- it smelled pleasant, (too light)
    but for the money they charge, I could just walk to the beach, and get this scent on me.
    I'm sorry, I know alot of people like this, but Blvgari Black, couldn't smell much of anything but
    maybe a rubbery smell, don't see it.
    When an expensive company, puts out a scent that doesn't last more than an a hour or so, what the heck?

Default Re: What fragrance did you say,"what the heck, is this really it?"

For me it's everything I've smelled from Serge Lutens. I like Rahat Loukoum, it's nice & cozy, but it doesn't inspire me to jump through international hoops to get it. All the other scents in his line are "Meh" to me.

NOTE:
    **This is not a slam towards those who worship St. Serge of Lutens. No offense is meant!!
    Last edited by tinker424; 20th March 2007 at 09:49 PM.

ANYTHING by Jo Malone. What that line gets away with is highway robbery!

For me, it's been:

Angel - I've heard so many raves about it from my friend, "mmm, smells like chocolate!" and when I got to it....let's just say YUCK!!

Fracas - Countless raves about this on many boards and sad to say that the tuberose just doesn't work for me

Michael - My coworker smelled beautiful with this but on me, it's just a headache-inducing, heady floral

Shalimar - Sorry for all of you faithfuls but this just doesn't work for me...I find it way too sweet, cloying and just overhyped IMHO

Let's see here,

Spring Flower -- Creed -- Just Don't Get It -- perhaps good for it's time?
    Mitsouko -- Guerlain -- although I see the fascination
    L' Heure Bleu -- Guerlain (I will try this over and over the rest of my life, though)
    Parfum Sacre -- Caron
    D'Zing -- L' Artisan -- D'Zero

Anything with oud -- I just can't warm up to this brown bottle Lysol note

Midnight Orchid -- Susanne Lang -- a true WTF sniff.

Verdict: I don't like chypres. I don't like fruit.

Agent Provocateur - I was so sure to like it that I bought it unsniffed right from the shelf (didn´t even bother to spray the tester ) I found it unwearable.
    Eau de Merveilles - really nothing special...
    Eau de Réglisse (Caron) - liquorice candy in lemon soda.
    La Chasse aux Papillons - does not smell even a bit good.
    I´ve said "what the heck" about almost all scents from L´Artisan that I´ve smelled, btw. The only one I like is Mure et Musc Extreme.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Marilyn Mignon Pheromone - smelled VILE on me.
    Angel. Although now I am getting into patchouli with vanilla.

Kingdom - I heard so many great things about it but all I could smell was lemons. I don't know why I can't smell the other notes but they're just not there for me, neither on the testing strip or on my skin.

Basenotes Institution

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker...I have tried it twice and I just don't get it AT ALL!

Smile Re: What fragrance did you say,"what the heck, is this really it?"

Quote Originally Posted by vezerne View Post
    Marilyn Mignon Pheromone - smelled VILE on me.
    Angel. Although now I am getting into patchouli with vanilla.
    I have never smelled a scent as vile as Pheromone, in my opinion. I couldn't believe that women actually like & wear this. (don't say that often) This fragrance is sold like crazy on T.V., and the testimonials are hard to believe, but it's true.
    As far as Angel, I initially bought it for the color of the juice & the bottle, (I know, that's shallow) but since I did spend alot of money on it (it ain't cheap) I felt compelled to wear it & use it up. Well, after awhile I did start to like it more, and I had continuous compliments with this scent, more than with others I wear. Especially from men. I used it all up, and have gotten it out of my system. Vanilla & patchouli are a good combo, the patchouli balances the sweetness in the vanilla, & the vanilla smooths out the harshness in the patchouli. Good choice*

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Kingdom - I heard so many great things about it but all I could smell was lemons. I don't know why I can't smell the other notes but they're just not there for me, neither on the testing strip or on my skin.
    I don't even get the lemons. I can smell nothing of Kingdom beyond a vague chemical hint to show that *something* is on my hand, though heaven knows what, and I care not whether it stays or goes. I just don't get what everyone is on about.

A lot of biggies, really;

Angel is one of the bigger bombs on me,
    though Chergui is right up there.

Voleur De Roses' dark soulful garden is off-limits to me,
    as is the mystery of Angelique Encens.

The last two I mourn, the first two I don't.

I was going to include Mitsouko on this list, except I tried the extrait today, and it underwent a total transformation on my skin in this version - no coumarin, its downfall for me in edt, just a pure, subtle, glow from another era. I am so glad to not have to include it in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Arhianrad View Post
    ANYTHING by Jo Malone. What that line gets away with is highway robbery!
    I agree - many Jo Malone fragrances are "nice"; some are even "quite nice", and to my mind Nectarine Blossom and Honey is "very nice", but I was expecting so much more after all the raves (celebrity and otherwise).

Phew, Sestra, I'm glad it's not just me. I was beginning to worry about my sense of smell!

Another one is AG Eau de Charlotte. From the notes it sounds like an incredible fruity gourmand, but on me I could barely smell it, beyond the faintest whiff of something like Johnson's Baby Lotion. And that was when I went to the gym in the hope that getting hot and sweaty would get it to do something...

[QUOTE=Shycat;999011]
    L' Heure Bleu -- Guerlain (I will try this over and over the rest of my life, though)
    QUOTE]

I too feel this way about L'Heure Bleu. When I first tried it I was astonished to find that it was completely different from how I had imagined it after reading dozens of descriptions and rave reviews. I still can't make up my mind how I feel about it and I often test it, just to be sure that is really how it smells.

You and me both. I was really keen to try Mitsouko's pre-war "twin" and I just didn't like it. But since then, I've come to the conclusion that, aside from the Aqua Allegoria line, I actually don't like any of the Guerlains aside from Mistouko. (Of course I've not tested all, but I've tested a fair few and found them very underwhelming).

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    For me it's everything I've smelled from Serge Lutens. I like Rahat Loukoum, it's nice & cozy, but it doesn't inspire me to jump through international hoops to get it. All the other scents in his line are "Meh" to me.

NOTE:
    **This is not a slam towards those who worship St. Serge of Lutens. No offense is meant!!
    I understand completely...i expected great things with this line, and the only one I could wear was Ambre SUltan. Perhaps I expected too much, but I tend to buy the hype and set myself up for a letdown.

I was also not amazed and overwhelmed by the CdG line.

As for Pheromone...I know one woman for whom this is a signature scent and who wears it beautifully...I expected something with that name to be less of a jackhammer
    Last edited by Zibeline; 21st March 2007 at 12:59 PM.

This is great reading.
    I have learned to keep my big mouth shut about fragrances I think I don't like because I always end up eating my words later.
    No joke. I have bought fragrances that I initially hated.
    So I'm not going to comment, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about other peoples experiences.

--Member of Tinker424's Scent Whores United International

For me, it's Narciso Rodrigues for her. According to some people, this the sexiest musk ever, clean and sophisticated.

I just don't get it, I mean, it's nice, but not THAT sexy! I really don't get this one at all!
    “I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”-Anais Nin