Code of Conduct

Default inspired by the dirt thread: sand notes?

Fragrances with sand or sand-like notes, like desert sand?

Default Re: inspired by the dirt thread: sand notes?

I believe you would find somewhat a connection between the "desert sand" note and Tauer L'Air du desert marocain apart from the name. That is the best connection I can think of at the moment albeit it is tenuous one.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Basenotes Institution

I have no idea - perhaps a BN more experienced with the Serge Lutens line (most of their scents have a Middle Eastern 'vibe' to them) might have a suggestion...

I would imagine sand would have a dry dusty smell to it (unlike dirt)?

Eau de Merveilles!
    also:
    Dune PH

If you looking for a sand note, you should definitely try the following:

Annick Goutal Sables
    Dior Dune
    Dior Dune Pour Homme

scentemental

Cool Re: inspired by the dirt thread: sand notes?

I know we all have our "fetish" scents & that's okay, I guess (Demeter has alot of them), but why would a guy want to smell like dirt or sand? Just come down to Florida, where I live, and walk to the beach, and roll around in the sand, or get a job doing construction, you'll come home smelling dirty, sandy & sweaty. (believe me, I know, my ex was in construction) Seriously, the one scent I smelled that was sandy & kind of dirty was Dune. (beachy scent) Don't men want to smell sexy & delicious anymore?...lol...To each their own, I say...
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 21st March 2007 at 07:27 PM.

The 2006 version of CK one summer boasted of its sand/beach note, and it is definitely there. Unfortunately, unlike the 2004 and 2005 versions, I did not think CK One Summer 2006 was very good (instead of the bright citruses of past years, 2006 had a 'fresh' note that reminded me of my toliet bowl cleaner.)

Thrax

Aqua Motu by CSP for sure.

Vetiver des Sables by Montale.

Montale Sandflowers. It really does smell like sand.

Basenotes Institution

I just read on NowSmellThis that Estee Lauder has a new scent coming out in April (a limited edition) called Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent. It's a redo of the oldie Azuree scent, that Tom Ford redid for Lauder.

The body oil of this came out last year, and quickly sold out. Now Lauder's releasing a eau fraiche liquid and the oil again.

'Warm sand' is one of the notes, in the scent.

Link here: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...1/2821841.html

I didn't think sand had odor. Are you sure this isn't the emporer's new note?

If there's a sea salty, mineral yet warm smell associated with sand (or maybe just the concept of beach itself) this for sure is Eau des Merveilles hands down. Luv da stuff!

Thank you everyone!!!

Anyone who can come up with 'Dune' as a viable answer to the sand fragrace question has a mind like a Stainless Steel trap.

sand smell's an awful lot like quartz. if you have some crystal wands, any amethyst or citrine at all, crystal balls or egss, smoky quartz, geodes with quartz inclusions. Give any of them a sniff. also any sand in a bottle from the painted desert, death valley or the new jersey shore are sure fire ways of getting the sand fragrance.

I must also add that quartz can only be scratched (leaving a gouge) by one other stone.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 26th March 2007 at 06:52 AM.

If, when you say sand, you mean something a bit salty, a bit dry and kind of earthy, then try The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver. I've never really got it with Dune; I enjoy the perfume, but I don't get sand dunes from it!

Vetiver being made from the roots of the plant and the plant often growing in the Caribbean in a very sandy soil might be the best of both worlds. Sand and something to go with it. I bet in Indoneshia and India and all the other places Vetiver grows it probably does best in sandy soil.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    I didn't think sand had odor. Are you sure this isn't the emporer's new note?
    Hi buddy - you never go to the beach, never played beach volley? I think this sand picks up most of the smell from the sea and we pick up the mix from the air plus a little sun tan oil. But in construction when you mix concrete, or simply sand and water - that does smell too. It's a rather dry, light kind of smell, but distinct. I can smell it just writing this, and we have snow outdoors.
    The air of Morocco, the countryside - you drive across the country, no street recognizable except for your guide - there is a smell of land (sand and sand dust)....I am sure they guys from the Paris Dakkar rally know it. Very different from Tauer's sweet incense juice L'Air du Désert Maroc'! And probably that's why I find his name choice ridiculous. - How would the land of Burning Man smell? It looks so attractive.
    Last edited by narcus; 26th March 2007 at 12:36 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The most common constituent of sand, in inland continental settings and non-tropical coastal settings, is silica (silicon dioxide, or SiO2), usually in the form of quartz, which, because of its chemical inertness and considerable hardness, is resistant to weathering. The composition of sand varies according to local rock sources and conditions. The bright white sands found in tropical and subtropical coastal settings are ground-up limestone. Arkose is a sand or sandstone with considerable feldspar content which is derived from the weathering and erosion of a (usually nearby) granite. Some locations have sands that contain magnetite, chlorite, glauconite or gypsum. Sands rich in magnetite are dark to black in color, as are sands derived from volcanic basalts. The chlorite-glauconite bearing sands are typically green in color, as are sands derived from basalts (lavas) with a high olivine content. The gypsum sand dunes of the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico are famous for their bright, white color. Sand deposits in some areas contain garnets and other resistant minerals, including some small gemstones.

Black Rock Desert home of Burning Man is a playa, also known as alkali flat or sabkha, is a dry lakebed, generally the shore of, or remnant of, an endorheic lake. Such flats consist of fine-grained sediments infused with alkali salts. Their surface is generally very dry, hard and smooth in the summer months, but wet and very soft in the winter months. While the playa itself will be devoid of vegetation, they are commonly ringed by shadscale, saltbrush and other salt-tolerant plants that provide critical winter fodder for livestock and other herbivores
    During the lake's peak around 12,700 years ago, the desert floor was under approximately 500 feet (150m) of water.
    from wikipedia
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 26th March 2007 at 12:50 PM.

Ah, alkali flats. I love the Mojave desert - we usually end up there once or twice a year, and in February drove nine hours from Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe through desert, desert and more desert. Absolutely glorious, although I suspect it wouldn't suit everyone! I've not been stuck in a wind storm in the alkali flats, but I understand that it can be very irritating to the nose and mouth if you are.

This desert smells freshly dusty, and warmly tar/woody from the creosote scrub if you happen to be right up against a bush. (It's a little like the hot, woody scent of a sauna, but barely discernible.) This smell is not at all strong and is not pervasive; you'll only find it in certain areas of scrub. Most of all, I get a smell of hot, natural cleanliness from the desert, quite different from the hot vegetal smell you get in very hot *humid* environments. Think warm rock, like a rounded version of the stone note in Messe de Minuit.

The Mojave is surprisingly full of life, even with the extreme temperatures and the lack of water. In one small area last year I saw a couple of burrowing owls, some chipmunks and a whole load of lizards. If you can stand the heat, it's worth staying very still for a while, looking, listening and smelling.

Wink Re: inspired by the dirt thread: sand notes?

Royal Air Maroc - no, what a minute, that's an airline's name.

Wink Re: inspired by the dirt thread: sand notes?

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Anyone who can come up with 'Dune' as a viable answer to the sand fragrace question has a mind like a Stainless Steel trap.

sand smell's an awful lot like quartz. if you have some crystal wands, any amethyst or citrine at all, crystal balls or egss, smoky quartz, geodes with quartz inclusions. Give any of them a sniff. also any sand in a bottle from the painted desert, death valley or the new jersey shore are sure fire ways of getting the sand fragrance.

I must also add that quartz can only be scratched (leaving a gouge) by one other stone.
    I came up with Dune, which is a more viable answer than whatever you said?
    He didn't ask what materials from nature you could gather up in a bottle & sniff, he asked what cologne smelled kind of beachy. Don't worry about my mind, it's really good. People, if you don't agree with my choice, then fine, but don't get nasty with me. I didn't say I liked Dune, but it was one fragrance, that I smelled that smelled like the beach, & sand & grit. I live in Florida, and I'm around the beach alot, and to me, it smelled similar, and I'm sure there are alot of other fragrances that might be better choices, but this is the first one that came to mind. I think also some of the new Hermes fragrances smell like sand & beach, Elixir, eau de Merveilles, and Terres. Fredricktoo, are you around the beach alot? Maybe your a better expert than I, I don't know.
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 26th March 2007 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    If, when you say sand, you mean something a bit salty, a bit dry and kind of earthy, then try The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver. I've never really got it with Dune; I enjoy the perfume, but I don't get sand dunes from it!
    Squeezeweasel,

Try Dune Pour Homme. The sand note is definitely more apparent than in the women's version. It is there, however, in the women's perfume, and it was a conscious effort on the part of the perfumer, Jean-Louis Sieuzac, and those at Dior to create what they conceived of as an oceanic floral. The oceanic notes are achieved through the use of broom, oakmoss, and amber.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 26th March 2007 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger View Post
    He didn't ask what materials from nature you could gather up in a bottle & sniff, he asked what cologne smelled kind of beachy. Don't worry about my mind, it's really good. People, if you don't agree with my choice, then fine, but don't get nasty with me. I didn't say I liked Dune, but it was one fragrance, that I smelled that smelled like the beach, & sand & grit. I live in Florida, and I'm around the beach alot, and to me, it smelled similar, and I'm sure there are alot of other fragrances that might be better choices, but this is the first one that came to mind. I think also some of the new Hermes fragrances smell like sand & beach, Elixir, eau de Merveilles, and Terres. Fredricktoo, are you around the beach alot? Maybe your a better expert than I, I don't know.
    Whoever you are, Castorpollux said Dune first but I thought someone else said Dune first and I know it wasn't you. I don't need a re-hash of what he said and I said either. I live in NJ check your map. Are you new here? I have sand in my ass now and I need to meditate. Good bye.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Whoever you are, Castorpollux said Dune first but I thought someone else said Dune first and I know it wasn't you. I don't need a re-hash of what he said and I said either. I live in NJ check your map. Are you new here? I have sand in my ass now and I need to meditate. Good bye.
    Your a character, my whole family lives in New Jersey, and none of them live near the beach, that is just the Jersey Shore. You check the map...lol... Your right, you do need to meditate, with or without the sand....

Your a character, my whole family lives in New Jersey, and none of them live near the beach, that is just the Jersey Shore. You check the map...lol... Your right, you do need to meditate, with or without the sand....
    How funny, Dagger, that we just got over a fight of yours on another thread. Here we are with a new one, after you've been warned to get along and said you'd try to follow the rules.

This is an interesting thread showing the variety of thoughts Basenotes members can offer in the process of thinking about scents. The only anomaly on it is your internal wish to moderate it, your distain on the first page for what the original poster seeks to know, your perceived slight, and now your comment's elevation to an attack on a member, telling him to meditate. Basenotes isn't a place for your personal attacks. You've been warned before, and here we have trouble again.

I anticipate your perception of persecution and your accusation that I'm bullying you. Like I haven't heard that before from you plenty of times. I'm sure, as before, you'd like nothing better to use this thread as your stage for acting out your dramatic accusations and victimhood. Don't. That will only prove that you need the public drama more than you want to get along as a member of the site. Don't post here to make yourself--again--the center of attention on a legitimate thread. Let the poster and contributors discuss what they mean and want by sand scents.

Frustration with moderation at Basenotes is for writing in a PM to me. So do that.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I found this scientific reference to the "odor of sand":

[PDF]
    Direct behavioral evidence that unique bile acids released by ...
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
    posed to larval odor than when exposed to the odor of sand. alone (P < 0.05) (Fig. 4a). ... ther methanol control or the odor of sand; see below) was ...
    article.pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ppv/RPViewDoc?_ handler_=HandleInitialGet&journal=cjfas&volume=57& ... - Similar pages

unfortunately one has to belong to the learned society in question to read further...

anyway it exists in nature, the odor of sand I am reassured.

+1 on Sables (Goutal)

Hot sand with a touch of spice.