Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am the Sillage Slayer!

After reading the compliments thread, and admitting I'd never been complimented on any of my scents, I started wondering - is it really that Londoners are closed so closed off, or is it me? After all, I've not had any compliments from friends or acquaintances either.
    I wear some pretty stinky perfumes - Angel, Poison, Musc Ravageur (testing, but on my to buy list), a few of the Lutens - generally scents that get noticed. Yet...nothing.
    So I asked my colleague, who came perfume shopping with me not long ago, if she ever noticed my scents. Now she hates Poison but can never smell it when I wear it, and she admitted today she never notices when I wear anything, though she says she usually has a sensitive nose.
    I'm starting to wonder if this has anything to do with circulation and body temperature, as well as skin chemistry. A lot of subtle scents don't work on me at all (eg, Eau de Charlotte - I can barely smell anything!) whilst others just seem to cling to my skin.
    I'm most aware of my scents when I am in the gym doing something really energetic, and it wafts up from my sports bra (I always spray down my sternum area as this is the one place the perfume will stay all day).
    But despite all the exercise I do, I have generally poor circulation and am frequently cold so I'm wondering if this is the problem! (I don't have any illnesses, btw...I've always been this way).
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 21st March 2007 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I am the Sillage Slayer!

I must have the same problem, either:
    1. People around here do not appreciate scent.
    2. I don't put off sillage.
    3. The places I go lack adequate air circulation.

However, I have reached the following conclusion--I wear fragrance for myself. It doesn't matter if anyone else smells me. I started replacing my EDPs/EDTs with pure parfum whenever possible. It smells deeper and softer, it doesn't bother other people, and it lasts longer on me.

This is a crazy world when people cannot stop to "smell the roses." I am glad that we Basenoters have not lost that ability (or desire) to enjoy our senses.

Unfortunately, I see signs of fragrance use being compared to smoking in terms of using shared "air space." Multiple chemical sensitivity, allergy, and intolerence are on the upswing.

So I carry a small vial with me all day and re-apply frequent, small amounts to my hands and wrists where can smell it most, and enjoy myself. Who knows? Maybe someday, someone will notice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    After reading the compliments thread, and admitting I'd never been complimented on any of my scents, I started wondering - is it really that Londoners are closed so closed off, or is it me? After all, I've not had any compliments from friends or acquaintances either.
    I wear some pretty stinky perfumes - Angel, Poison, Musc Ravageur (testing, but on my to buy list), a few of the Lutens - generally scents that get noticed. Yet...nothing.
    So I asked my colleague, who came perfume shopping with me not long ago, if she ever noticed my scents. Now she hates Poison but can never smell it when I wear it, and she admitted today she never notices when I wear anything, though she says she usually has a sensitive nose.
    I'm starting to wonder if this has anything to do with circulation and body temperature, as well as skin chemistry. A lot of subtle scents don't work on me at all (eg, Eau de Charlotte - I can barely smell anything!) whilst others just seem to cling to my skin.
    I'm most aware of my scents when I am in the gym doing something really energetic, and it wafts up from my sports bra (I always spray down my sternum area as this is the one place the perfume will stay all day).
    But despite all the exercise I do, I have generally poor circulation and am frequently cold so I'm wondering if this is the problem! (I don't have any illnesses, btw...I've always been this way).
    I would say that the initial issues seem to be amount of application and low body temp.

I wear very potent perfumes without managing to offend others but have found that many that I, and others, consider sillage monsters in warmer weather or when I am running about, tend to be very muted and sit close to the skin in winter. Which is not all that great as I live in Glasgow where it is close to / or actually winter for 8 -10 months of the year.

The only thing I can recommend at the moment is:

1. Higher concentrations in the perfumes you use - EDP / parfum rather than EDT.

2. More generous application - hair, crooks of elbows, behind knees and wrists as well as sternum.

3. Active layering of perfume - using body products in the same line to intensify and prolong your scent. Shower gel, body lotion, deoderant as well as perfume.

I do hope these suggestions help.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I hear about my scents alot..and overwhelmingly great things. My colleagues and I are pretty open about these things so most of the talk is at work. I have had strangers ask me what I was wearing, and usually I get compliments on rather unexpected fragrances. I am always amazed by what people like and notice.

from my experience sillage has little to do with people "noticing" and complimenting me.
    Clair de Musc which has the most discreet sillage of my collection is one of my fragrances that gets me the most compliments by people, men and women, even hours after I can 't detect it on me anymore. (CDM is the only scent I spray on my hair, that makes it lasts much longer).

surprisingly more complex perfumes like N5, Mitsouko or le Parfum de Therese, perfumes with stronger personalities and character never get me anywhere in terms of compliments, it 's like people don 't acknowledge them at all or close off when it comes to complex or classic perfumes whereas the perfume that gets me the most compliments of all is Lutens Fleurs d 'Oranger, anything that smells young, fresh, sexy is always a winner specially with men.

I also have poor circulation (cold hands and feet) and find that I can wear what others have termed 'sillage monsters' without getting any reaction from others. Lately I have begun layering my scents, as suggested by Moondeva and I also carry a small vial of perfume with me so that I can apply it more often. I'm not sure whether its working though, I'm still waiting for a comment or compliment from someone... anyone!

I have the "cold hands and feet" syndrome as well, but it doesn't seem to affect my sillage. I do however, always massage in a fragrance-free body lotion before applying my perfumes, and I think this really helps. I get asked about my scents quite often by people wanting to know where they can purchase them, so maybe body temp. is only part of it. It may be more to do with chemistry? Not sure.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Start wearing Creed. I thought i had the same problem. Yesterday I wore Imperial for more than 12 hours and not only could I smell it, but other people could smell it as well. The crazy part is I didn't spray on more than 4 spritzes. Long live Creed (literally).

Post Thanks / Like

Just love the way our beloved frags behave so differently on each person - and the different take each one has. :bounce:

(Was interested in your take on London which I have always found to be highly interactive and friendly. [Granted, I haven't been there for ten years!] Sort of like Manhattan in that way.)

My opinion is that we are all so different (hesitate to use "unique"!) that what holds true for one will never necessarily hold true for his/her neighbor. Even if all significant factors (age - sex - race - medical condition and so forth) are the same.

So one (wo)man's sillage queen fades to nothing on her/his neighboring 'fume wearer. And our bodies and our tastes change from time to time - sometimes from day to day!

For myself, I am with Purplebird7 in that I wear frags so I can smell them. It's nice if other notice and enjoy too - nice but not mandatory.

And to Moondeva's excellent suggestions I would add an underlay of pure (odorless) jojoba oil - a trick passed on by Ayala!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Cool Re: I am the Sillage Slayer!

Okay, I have the opposite problem, I'm always hot, (haven't been cold in many years) I exude heat, even my 84 yr old mom does. (must be genetic) I do think that when your body temp is warmer, it probably makes the scent more intense. My scents are noticed 75% of the time, and combined with the fact, I'm usually an over sprayer, that can be deadly...lol...For the most part, when I know the perfume is strong to begin with, I spray with caution, because between my own heat & that I live in Florida...whoa....

Post Thanks / Like

One of my colleagues actually noticed I was wearing perfume today. He asked if he could smell strawberries.
    It was Miel de Bois...

:wave: I really am getting that the weather has a lot to do with it. Moondeva has beautiful scents, but if I wore half of them, people would probably pass out around me. She says it's like winter up to ten months of the year where she lives. Here, it is the opposite, hot about ten months of the year. So I have to either wear something mild or spray very lightly when out in public. But, when I am at home alone with the cooler on, I can bathe in it. :brolly: