Code of Conduct

Question Blue eyes; what color on eyeshadow?

What colors should you use to make blue eyes look more intensely blue? I bought L´Oréal Color Appeal Trio Pro "Blue Eyes" today, and it contained one white, one light blue, and one darker blue shadow. I had always thought that you should use brown (and maybe apricot) to accentuate blue eyes? My little box of shadows wore a signature I interpreted as "Milla Jovovich", but she has green eyes, hasn´t she?? I´m so confused, someone care to enlighten me??
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Default Re: Blue eyes; what color on eyeshadow?

I always thought that the best color for eyeshadow is the color opposite on the color wheel.... coppery brown shadow for blue eyes, purple eyeshadow for green eyes & blue shadow for brown eyes.
    I have colored contacts in all the shades & I use that guide to make the contact colors stand out.

I've found that a slightly orange-y brown (like M.A.C.'s "Bamboo") intensifies virtually any eye colour. Although this may not align with colour theory, it does work in practice. The thing to do is apply it to the lower AND upper lid, blending the edges.

I have rather strange eyes, lots of tones and flecks in them so they actually change colour depending on colour of eyeshadow or clothing.

For the lazer beam light blue I got for: peaches, soft golds, warm browns(think milk chocolates).

For the blue/grey look I go for blues and cool browns.

For the blue/green look then it is pinks and pink lilacs.
    DONNA

Yes, even brick works well with blue eyes.

My own eyes are that rather dull pond-sludge green with an amber ring around the pupil (Kate Moss has similar eyes to mine) and purple really helps to bring out the green, whereas green makes them more brownish.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

For the lazer beam light blue I got for: peaches, soft golds, warm browns(think milk chocolates).
    Agree totally. My eyes are blue and I always go back to peachy, apricot colours ( the best of these are powder blushers which I have always used as eyeshadows) as I love the 'lazer beam light blue' these tones bring out.
    I have a hard time choosing blues in shadows as most of them make my eye colour look dull. Turquoise and azure are the best blue shades for intensifying my natural eye colour.

Thanks so much for your very helpful replies!

I tested by using blue colors on one eye, and warm brown and peacy/apricot on the other eye; there was really a difference! My eyes looked much more blue with the brown shades!
    Still doesn´t solve the "mystery" with that L´Oréal shadow box, though...
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I've got greyish blue eyes.I like to use more than one colour to really intensify the look of my eyes Favourite colours for eyes on me is: drak blue,purple,grey,brown....and sometimes gold.I use the drakest colour on the whole eyelid,then add a lighter ,but similar shadow above that one.It really works!

I also have blue eyes and agree with pretty much all the suggestions here - mostly earth tones, coppery tones or grays. Deep plum/eggplant is also great for me. Wearing blue eye shadow usually overwhelms my eye color, but I might add a touch of very dark navy for a liner/smudge, or in the crease.

But one surprising shade I discovered years ago to be very flattering is a mossy green, with a slightly metallic sheen. Revlon used to make the perfect color, which was almost an acid green, but now I do a combo with MAC. I apply Gorgeous Gold for a base and then top that with a darker shade of Greensmoke (pretty on its own too). The combo is great and really makes my blue eyes pop. You can make this lighter for day and much smokier for nightime.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention! I've also found that with blue eyes, the lipstick shade makes all the difference. Blue eyes can really be brought out with a simple, neutral brown shadow, but paired with a clear red lipstick. Very classic.

I have blue eyes and i wear blues and a whole bunch of other colors as well.
    what i like to do is use a coppery or orangy color on the lid then line with a teal or aqua color
    I do this quite a bit i use MAC's mythology on the lid then line with MAC's teal pigment or one of my many teal/aqua liners

If it's of any interest, I had my make-up done by a Prescriptives (brand) make-up artist for my wedding. He explained the 'opposites on the colour wheel' idea, making orange the best colour to make blue eyes 'pop'. Obviously, orange isn't the easiest colour to wear, but if you work in shades around it you can find a look that both works for your eye colour and is appropriate for the situation (because orange might well work on a 20-year-old who's going out to a nightclub).

FYI for my 'slightly better than normal but still very natural' wedding make-up, I had terracotta shadow over the whole eyelid and into the socket line, a dab of highlighter on the brow bone and a dark brown shadow used as a liner and blended/smudged from the lashline onto the lid a litle. Masses of mascara, of course!

I'm guessing that Revlon didn't think too clearly when they branded those shadow sets and the name reflects the colour in the box not who they suit. But if you can't return it and haven't got a friend with warm brown eyes that would like it, there's nothing wrong with wearing blue eyeshadow on blue eyes. Might look good. (I'm very nervous with colour, so I've never tried it.) Let us know how it works out - we might all learn a trick!

hmmm i dont see anything wrong with blue eyed ppl wearing blue eyeshadow... i dont suppose its much different from me (with my brown eyes) wearing brown eye shadow which is what i do almost everyday

but then when i wear turquoise the brown kind of stands out more so maybe the opposites thing works? i dunno... time to start experimenting methinks