Code of Conduct

Thread: Etro Fragrances

Default Etro Fragrances

I've heard some good things about Sandalo...anybody have thoughts on other Etro offerings?

Default Re: Etro Fragrances

Etso is one of my favourite houses, many of their scents have an interesting musty note that smells like a museum, library or archive, Messe de Minuit (which is my favourite) is the best example of this.

I also have and love Ambra, Gomma, Heliotrope, Lemon Sorbet, Magot, Palais Jamais, Patchouly, Shaal Nur and Vetiver.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 23rd March 2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: forgot Gomma, so added it
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

My experience with Etro is limited to Sandalo, Via Verri (rose), Mahogany, Patchouli, Anice and samples of Messe and Vetiver.

Considering the retail price of roughly 80 € (90 for Via Verri), which puts this in the Villoresi price range, I must say, that, while they are not bad, there is usually a superior alternative. These are mostly rather simple constructions intended for personal blending and from that premise I would expect a more serious attempt at smelling natural - many Etros, however, have a synthetic note which can be as irritating as a weld seam on an otherwise smooth surface.

Floris Sandalwood or Villoresi are both infinitely superior to Etro Sandalo IMHO, which is also too weak.

Mahogany, loved by others, is a symnthetic wood nightmare for me

Vetiver pales in comparison to Villoresi

Patchouli is a good one, and so is Via Verri - though here I would also prefer Parfum Sacré, C&S 88, Voleur, or Maréchale

The really original one is Messe de Minuit - though you should test wether you enjoy smelling like the ancient library from The Name of the Rose before buying a whole bottle.

For myself I have decided that other houses are more along my line & I won't be buying anymore ETROs except if I can get them for a song (ladeeda)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Exclamation Re: Etro Fragrances

You are forgotting New Tradition, with to my nose is very nice, one of the very few musk fragrances I can stand. The top notes are hesperidic and very uplifting. Not the most original cologne I've smelt, but I really enjoy it here and now. Unfortunately it seems it isn't appreciated on the fragrance reviews directory. I agree anyway that Etro fragrances are overpriced.

Cheers. W

I smelled some Etros, and they are unique scents. Messe de Minuit, is different all right, but I think for me too musty & dank smelling. I bought Patchouly, and although it's nice for a patchouli scent, I just can't wear the note well. My girlfriend loves it, I sent her a bottle, and she flipped over it.

summer means fireflys

I love Etro Ambra, one of my favorite amber scents ... I also like Heliotrope, Shaal Nur, Magot, and Sandalo ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Heliotrope and Via Verri are my favorites but as Tom said are overpriced.

I'd have to say, that after all was said and done following my journeys with ETRO, Gomma was the only hit..................... An awesome leather.........